Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Thumbprint Barley Wine - New Glarus Brewing Company

Thumbprint Barley WineThumbprint Barley Wine

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Barleywine |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: mobius387 on 01-13-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Barley Wine Alström Bros
4.92/5  rDev +28.1%

I've always felt that Barleywines have had a sort of harshness to them. I've honestly never been that big of fan. With that said this beer is astonishingly good. it looks like like a Pale Ale in the glass. Smells like a really good DIPA that is 2-3 months old. The citrus really comes through the palate. I was not aware of the alcohol content until half way through the glass and I was shocked that it was 12%. As it warms up you can start to taste the alcohol but it really is weird how some beers just have that boozy taste and others like this one defy your taste buds. This beer is worth waiting in line for but guess what it will be plentiful on shelves all across Sconnieland for the next month. (702 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +26.3%

Notes Jan 18 2012

Pours a deep clear orange, looks like a DIPA to me.

Smell is very tropical, a little acohol as well.

Taste is a decent amount of hops right off the bat, tropical fruit then after that fades you get a more bready, spicy barlywine flavor. A solid alcohol burn at the end.

Mouthfeel is spot on.

Hats off to Dan on this one. I love a good barlywine and this is a great one! It may be right on the line between DIPA and barlywine but that is fine by me as I love both styles.

If you can get your hands on some go out and get it. (548 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +24.7%

Enjoyed while in WI on business, poured into a plastic cup (shush, I was in a hotel room and had no other choice!).

A - Reminds me like a slightly darker Apple Ale, looks like carbonated apple juice, lots of rising bubbles, and a half-finger of tan tinted head. Just a ring around the cup as I drank it.

S - A decent amount of citrusy hops mixed with an equal parts of booze and wine. There is a faint sweet aroma, like a sweet apple.

T - Very well balanced. Citrusy hops again but mended well toasted grains and, oddly enough, pie crusts. Yes, I taste pie crust in this brew. The boozy taste is short lived, but notable. I noticed a sweet fruity aftertaste on the sides of the tongue.

M - Medium bodied, a bit carbonated that hits the roof of your mouth almost every sip. Definitely leaves a resin-y feel in the mouth afterward.

O - I'm very impressed. Definitely the best barley wine I've had, which isn't a very exhaustive list though. Really good right off the shelf, but I'm curious to see how this does with some time on it. Very enjoyable all the way around. (1,070 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +23.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.
3611 printed in black on the shoulder. No info.

A - Vividly golden toffee in color, this barleywine is decidedly clear with a bone head that's got some insane staying power! Plenty of lace curtains are drawn across the snifter as the head fades away. Brilliant looking!

S - With a hop-heavy nose like IIPA, it can be safely assumed this is an American Barleywine. Bold, juicy mango and pineapple tropical fruitiness overlaps the sweet, bready malt. Rich, gooey caramel undertones create a balancing act with the potent hop nose.

T - Plenty hoppy in flavor but shockingly more balanced towards the malt. Beginning to end, the lip-smackingly juicy hops leave mango, pineapple, and some grapefruit dancing on the tongue. Lots of bready, heavy (not overwhelming) caramel malt to the rescue!

M - A brisk crispness crosses the tongue momentarily before the sweet, full-bodied malt sets in. Moderately bitter hips finish out with a light dryness. Faint alcohol can be felt retro-nasally, but sheer balance brings this to a close.

O - Another excellent beer from New Glarus, the Thumbprint Barleywine teeters on a fine line between Double IPA and American Barleywine but remains balanced throughout. Agreeable, fruity hops and smooth caramel malts mash up for one delicious beer that's a pleasure to drink. I'll be aging plenty of these for years to come. Damn do I love that New Glarus is in Wisconsin. (1,436 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle.

It pours a brilliant color, a perfectly clear honey-amber with a foamy white head that is a bit fizzy and doesn't leave much lacing. But the beer itself is beautiful.

The smell is huge, as soon as you pop the top a nice combo of zesty almost tropical citrusy hops and clean honeylike malt. It smells a bit like Hopslam or Double Jack. Not quite as hoppy but in that ballpark.

The flavor is great. It is definitely a hop-forward barleywine. It is crisp and dry rather than thick and chewy like normal beer of this gravity. There is a nice fruitiness to it, moreso light fruits than the typical rasiny flavor. The malts bring a big hit of sweetness but it is controlled. There is a light bit of perfumey alcohol presence but it is more flavor than heat. I have to stress it, for a 12% beer, yes it has alcohol prescence, all 12% beers do but this one is far and away the smoothest one I have ever had in this territory.

Barleywines aren't really my forte, I like them, but this one I loved. Non-traditional, but super delicious. And this is not an IPA at all, there is still a distinct malty alcoholic sweetness that would never be welcomed in a DIPA. (1,168 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +17.7%

Served in a Belgian tulip. Enjoyed on 2-21-12.

APPEARANCE

This beer pours a slightly hazy orange-yellow-honey color. It's fairly light compared to other barleywines I've had, and it looks very much like an IPA or double IPA. The head was massive, about 3 fingers, and just the slightest bit off-white. It leaves some nice lacing along the side of the glass, and after the initial pour there is almost no carbonation bubbles to speak of.

SMELL

This is a citrus bomb! Tons and tons of fresh hoppy aroma come out, bringing grapefruit, tangerine, and fresh orange zest. Some slight alcohol follows. I tend to enjoy the hop/alcohol combination, so it definitely works. There is a slight malt smell after the hop barrage. Like the bottle says, there is a bit of graham cracker detectible. Overall, WOW this brew smells fantastic.

TASTE

Could it be? Is that MALT I taste?! Indeed it is! And plenty of it - I was worried that this was going to be like an IPA in terms of bitterness, but to my surprise there is a lot of sweet malt in this bad boy. It brings notes of caramel-covered graham crackers and toffee. The hops bring a wonderful complexity, bringing some old familiar favorites: citrus, tangerine, tropical fruits, mango, and everyone's favorite "cat piss". Yum. The booze is definitely evident. This beer drinks like a 12% ABV brew, which I think holds it back slightly. The flavor is wonderfully complex and intense, I very much dig.

MOUTHFEEL

For as big of a beer as this is, it's no struggle to drink. It drinks more like an imperial IPA than a barleywine, which can be a dangerous thing! It's not as thick as one would imagine, and it has a (dare I say it?) DRY finish! What a mindf**k. There's a medium-low amount of carbonation - perfect for this particular beer.

OVERALL

I usually don't like hoppy, American barley wines, but New Glarus just can't seem to get a bad beer past me. I was worried about this beer being too bitter, but the bitterness and hop character are just about perfect. I'm glad to taste the sugary-sweet malt mess that I like in barley wines. I'm also glad they made a BIG barleywine, not a casual 8-9% ABV barleywine. I can only imagine what this beer tastes like after a year or two of age on it.

VERY special thanks to Duff27 for sending me a whole 4 pack of this delicious brew.

Cheers! (2,336 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +17.7%

A - Nice golden orange-hued color. Thin lacing throughout.

S - Hoppy, citrusy notes, rock candy marmalade. An estery hint on the finish. Nicely balanced for a beer of this size.

T- Succulent citrus, barley hint, and a sweetness that gives way to seductive warmth.

M - Smooth, resinous. Coats and adheres in delicious stickiness.

O - I really enjoyed this beer. Though it may not stick to style the entire way, the daring and experimentation that are hallmarks of New Glarus shine through. Impressive. (505 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +17.7%

Pours a clear, golden to slightly orange color, developing a 1/2 inch white colored head, with decent retention.

The aroma is a hop-bomb. Almost DIPA-like in impression. Strong citrus and tropical fruit character, with just a hint of bread and cracker-like malt notes. Overall very pungent and aromatic.

The flavor starts to bring more barleywine characteristics to the beer, with the hops stealing the show. An almost lemon-drop like flavor dominates adding some piney notes after each sip, as well as some very nice malt characteristics such as a very light brown sugar and toasted cracker flavor that balances excellently with the intense, pungent hoppiness. Once again, very DIPA-like in character, though far more balanced, and yet no loss of hop flavor. The alcohol is virtually non-existant, only evidenced by a pleasant warming sensation after each swallow.

This is a very hop-forward American Barleywine, as it should be I suppose. Without a doubt, the cleanest, least-harsh barleywine I have ever had (while fresh). It almost seems a shame to age something this hoppy. This may be the first American-style barleywine that I would recommend drinking right away, while fresh, rather than wait a year or two. That said, I can't help but cellar a few to see what happens. (1,280 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

This was really good! I would have loved to have tried it fresh because the hops were still bursting with a perfume-y floral bouquet. Very interesting American Barleywine. I hope this sneaks back into their lineup at some point. (231 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle cellared between 53 and 65 degrees for 1 year.

A - Poured into a snifter the beer offers a nice thick frothy head with large bubbles in the middle and smooth soft edges a pinky's width up to the glass. The body is crisp, clear, clean and a very nice orange color. Well done. 4.0

S - Hints of pungent fruit which seem to be the due to the perfect balance between the hops and malt that fill my nose. It is begging to be sipped. 4.25

T - Wow, let me start with the finish. The deep taste of plum and apple. The middle is a build up of the two and the beginning is a sharp maltiness. 4.5

M - The finish on the center front of my tongue is very unique. It's very abrasive in that spot. The sticky residue throughout and after each pull is well rounded. It is extremely smooth and surprisingly yet comfortably soft while in the mouth. Again, very unique for a barleywine. That being said, it is a very fine feel. This may be it's finest quality. My inky reason for it not being perfect is because I wish it were juuust a bit heavier. 4.75

~~~ This beer has gotten light-years better while in the cellar. It is fantastic! I you were in a position a year ago to have aquired a 4-pack and you cellared a few, now is the time to take a sampling. I have two more bottles in the cellar now and I'm seriously considering cracking them now... but I won't. I'll wait for their respective 3 and 5 years in the cellar. 4.5

---
The review below was entered on 1/28/13. The review is from a sampling from tap. The calculated the rating was a 2.7.

A - This is the cleanest bodied barleywine I have ever seen. It's copper in color with a moderate level of carbonation and topped by a half inch of white head. 4

S - Smells nothing like the barleywines I've ever had before. Citrus hops are prevalent with absolutely no pungent fruit or malt aromas. 3.5

T - After taking my first sip I had to think the bartender mis-poured and served me an IPA rather than a barleywine. This beer tastes nothing like any barleywines I've had. It's all citrus and grapefruit hops with a tiny malt sweetness. If I were comparing this to other barleywines I wouldn't choose this one over any other. I really like the pungent flavors of plum, molasses and brown sugar that come with the barleywines I've had in the past. In my opinion this one's flavors don't measure up. If this were a double or imperial IPA it would be top notch in the flavor category. 2

M - The brew is slightly coarse while offering a crispness on the tongue. It too leaves a slightly sticky finish on my lips. I do wish it were thicker/heavier in the body. 4

~ Based on the characteristics available to the consumer and not the way in which the beer was brewed, I have to say the only thing making this a barleywine is the ABV. At 12% it is right in the wheelhouse of a barleywine. Other than that I have a hard time seeing this brew fitting well into the style category of barleywine. This all being said, I do plan to pick up a four pack in order to cellar a few bottles. I suppose one of the true measures of a barleywine that should be considered is its ability to cellar. I'll review it again in a couple years to see how it develops over time. 2.5 (3,213 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +15.4%

Golden-orange, head dissipates to a ring.

Citrus, fruits, and spices in the nose.

Cherry, apple, sugar, alcohol, caramel, dark fruits, black pepper, orange rind. Deliciously complex.

Quite carbonated, but mouth-coating.

Wow, these thumbprints continue to amaze. This one defies categorization. Definite DIPA and even belgian ale aspects. (342 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

Verrrryyyy interestink b-wine from New Glarus. Pours a golden amber color with an off white head. Nice lacing. Smell is tremendously tropical. The taste is also quite tropical, and get a very distinct golden raisin note. This could easily double for a malty double IPA. I will cellar at least one to see what happens when the hops calm down. Delicious, but a bit out of style. (376 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

Has the look of a DIPA. Clear golden color with a short creamy head that leaves lots of lacing.

Lots of citrus and tropical fruit coming from the hops. A nice little malt sweetness reminiscent of honey also. There is a hint of belgian yeast which I know isn't the source, but it's there.

Wow, very different from other barleywines I've had. Big hit of tropical fruit. Passionfruit, pineapple, citrus fruit, star fruit, etc. Getting lots of floral notes from the hops also. The malt is of the lighter variety and gives the flavor the taste of a DIPA. Honey like malt presence. I do get a touch of Belgian yeast in the flavor. Very subtle and I'm not complaining a bit about it. Alcohol comes through some.

The feel is a bit dry at the end, but sticky beforehand. Not as big of a body as the abv suggests and the style commands. Again, reminds one of a DIPA. Smooth beer though.

Barleywine/DIPA? Who really cares. A drinkable Barleywine or an age able DIPA, take your pick. Have it both ways, I know I will. In my opinion, a unique take on the style and one that I thoroughly enjoy. (1,084 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A. Clear amber appearance with a two finger, white head that slowly recedes to leave spotty lacing.

S. Graham cracker is very prevalent. Some sweet pitted fruit aromas emerge slowly as it warms. There is a slight hit of alcohol that you "feel" in your nose more than smell along with herbal hops.

T. Sweet graham cracker malt fills the mouth followed by a nice assault of hop goodness (mainly tropical in flavor) that never gets too bitter. Really lingers nicely on the palate. This is one tasty beer.

M. Very nice, somewhat silky mouthfeel in a medium bodied presentation. Adequately carbonated too.

O. New Glarus has hit this one out of the park. It may not be brewed perfectly to style but I could care less. This beer tastes delicious. The alcohol is completely hidden, the hops and malt play off of each other beautifully and this stuff slides down way too fast. I feel like having another one but know better. (923 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

Bottle from mscarpen, 12oz into a tulip. Thanks Scott!

Hazy darker orange with a couple fingers of white head - nice lace and retention. Lovely nose - oranges, tangerines, sugary sweet, cookie dough and caramel. Almost like a bigger maltier imperial IPA. Taste is super malty upfront, sugary, alcohol, caramel accented greatly by the hops, citrus, with some grass and light spiciness to them. Full feel, not too sticky. Bitter finish, no alcohol save for some warmth in the throat. A lovely, citrusy barleywine. (512 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

Look: Deep gold with a frothy white head that recedes quickly; great sticky lacing. Crystal clear.

Smell: Big fruity, hoppy nose. Candied lemons, alcohol, fresh cut fruit.

Taste: By this time, I already know that I'm in for a different experience when it comes to barleywines. Around these parts, they are mostly thick, malty, giants with, maybe, a solid hop backbone with a bit of dark crystal/roasted malts. Not this one. The mouthfeel is rich, crisp and much thinner than expected - ultra drinkable. The hops immediately take center stage. While there is a decent amount of bitterness, its mostly clean. Again, candied lemons sit over top a piney, earthy, herbal hop flavor. The malt is there providing a rich, semi-sweet balance to the hop show. The ethanol is noticeable but it isn't intrusive and doesn't compromise the experience.

A great one by New Glarus. More reminiscent of double IPA; I like the curveball here. (926 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

12 oz red foiled bottle into a tulip pours a lighter orange with some yellow highlights and a generous snowy cover.

Smells of grainy bitter citrus. Many New Glarus beers have clean noses if that makes sense. Maybe the yeast is rather neutral. A hint of the 12 percent can be found here as well, but it is neither overpowering nor off putting.

This is very pleasant, if a barleywine of this abv can be described as such. Tropical fruits meld with the light and bready malt. Hops steal the show but the malt is strong enough to play support. Pineapple, mango, and a slash of mild burn along the back end.

Plenty of bubbles to allow this sit mildly syrupy but smooth on the tongue. Alcohol settles pleasantly into the bones and leaves a gentle numbing, thought the heat is minimal and more felt than tasted.

This may be my favorite Thumbprint/R&D in quite a while. Hits all the right notes and is ready to go right out of the gates. Certainly an Americanized style straddling version and if that type of barleywine floats your boat, I strongly recommend getting your hands on some bottles. (1,092 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

I bought a 12oz single bottle from Woodman's in Janesville, WI for $2.59 in early 2012.

Pours a semi-clear light amber color with quite a bubbly head of carbonation leaving a decent amount of lacing around the glass. There are some slight scents of barley but it is mostly of bitter hops giving it more of an IPA scent. The first sip explodes with flavors of bready grains and hops. Drinks extremely smooth and yet is very filling. Is definitely a sipping beer as it will taunt you, daring you to drink 2 in a row which I certainly would not recommend. Even though it is a barleywine, it's definitely something a IPA/IIPA would enjoy trying. (642 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +12.5%

A-Pours a clear, light gold with about a half inch of white foam that leaves decent lacing. Has the look of an IIPA, very light color.
S-Malty sweet aroma with a good amount of citrus hops and just a hint of a Belgian yeast aroma.
T-Strong citrus, fruity hop flavors with a good balance of graham crack/malt. There is a lot of alcohol which may be what contributes to the slight flavor of Belgian yeast.
M-Seems a little light bodied for a barley wine. Lots of alcohol warmth and fairly light carbonation.
Overall, a very tasty beer. A little close to the line between an IIPA and a barley wine but sometimes I wonder where that line is. A very big beer but not very full bodied but lots of hops and alcohol. I'd like more caramel malt sweetness but the flavor is very good. (774 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Translucent copper. Pours with a very thin head of white foam.

S: Sweet with a hoppy, almost IPA smell.

T: Front-end hops with a little bitterness as typical for American barley wines. The hops last just the right amount of time on the palate, and then the nice sweet malty flavor kicks in finishing with a nice balance of the two.

M: light to medium body, with a nice silky feel.

O: This is certainly a beer for the right mood. However, when ready for it, it is very satisfying. I don’t like a lot of over the top American style barley wines and this is just so balanced, with all the taste complexities marinating to deliver a very enjoyable drinking experiences. (674 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared by Sammy

Pale orange colour, ring of white head, light bit of lace as well. Smell is incredibly hoppy, beefed up malt bill with a bit of sweetness, honey and even some wheat like notes on the nose, orange and citrus fruit is pretty strong here though. Taste is very hoppy upfront with citrus and orange before giving way to lightly sugary malts, more of the honey in the nose mid palate into the finish, fairly bitter throughout. Solid mouthfeel, lightly carbonated, fairly full bodied. This was awesome, a nice hoppy barleywine that is so incredibly drinkable, would love to revisit this again. (610 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Received a 12 FL. OZ. bottle of this in a trade w/ rjacobs6 as an extra. I'm aging two of these so decided to pop one from last year and see how it aged. Poured from the red saran wrapped bottle into my 4 Hands Tulip Glass. 2012 Vintage.

Aroma- Carmelized with a light honey, super sweet background. Has a note of alcohol but doesn't overpower.

Appearance- Has a Reddish Copper colored body with good clarity. A .5 finger find head had average retention but only a few suds were left behind.

Flavor- Sweet, Candied, and tons of caramel come across at the beginning. Has almost no bitterness but hops are absolutely present.

Mouthfeel- Medium-Full Bodied, Light-Medium Carbonation, light bourbon and a sweet finish.

Overall Impression- A super strong Barleywine that was almost candied at times. I'm excited to try the other two down the road. Another awesome brew by New Glarus. (885 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

355ml bottle poured into tulip 28/5/13 cheers MasterSki and Sean9689 for sending the bottle

A glows an orange amber with a slight haze due to tiny suspended particles, looks a little flat but there's two fingers of soapy foam that's gone before I really observed it and leaves a few random patches of lace

S smells of candied pineapple and wheaty cereal, caramels strong with a little pine, It smells more like a DIPA and that suits me fine

T some tropical hops work well, this would've been an absolute palate wrecker fresh, a little booze but if this has the 12% behind it that I see listed I'm impressed with how well they concealed the booze

M thick and syrupy and it takes some effort to pull my lips apart, shes one sticky brew, slick after the fact with a DIPA like piney caramel aftertaste, if this is really 12% I'm impressed because other then my sideways walking and my head heating up there's not a whole lot of booze proof

O hopped to hell BW and I'm happy with that, hits all the spots and I don't even know if I'd want to age a bottle

my bottle's stamped 3611 on the neck and according to Fresh Beer Only that would mean this was bottled Feb, 2011, if that's the case I'm worried how this tastes fresh. young BW?, old DIPA? either way I'd drink another (1,279 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +8.6%

2012 vintage mentioned on the bottle.

A= Pours a translucent amber color with a small white head on it that rises to a finger high and holds some decent retention without being great and the lacing is spotty.

S= The smell is peppery and hoppy. I dunno why but it has a black pepper smell to it for me. Nice grassy hops and a little malty sweetness to back it up.

T= The taste is big hops without being over the top. A nice peppery grassy hop character in it and a bit of a malt backbone. The alcohol is well hidden despite other reviews I've read. Really not bad at all. A sort of American barleywine with english hops?

M= Nice carbonation.

O= This is much better than I expected after reading other reviews. It's not the hot mess people have made it sound and it actually is a subtle enjoyable barleywine with soft hop characters and a soft malt backbone to follow. Dangerously drinkable. (896 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: Golden with a nice little head to it. Transparent. Welcoming appearance

Smell: Quite a bit of hops for a barley wine. Sweeter nose to it. The malt comes through and there isn't much alcohol.

Taste: Hoppier than most barley wines even though this has about 2 months of age on it. There is a decent sweetness to it. Little alcohol. I wish there was a bit more balance and complexity but it's still a fantastic brew. A very refreshing and easy going barelywine.

Mouthfeel: A little thinner than most but nothing to complain about.

Overall: A nice easy going barleywine. A little sweeter and lighter than most but refreshing. Interested to see how this would age. (675 characters)

Thumbprint Barley Wine from New Glarus Brewing Company