Thumbprint Barley Wine - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Barleywine |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: mobius387 on 01-13-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Barley Wine Alström Bros
2.21/5  rDev -42.4%

Clear light amber with a one finger off white head with decent retention and no lacing. The aroma has grapefruit, caramel, and alcohol. Much of the aroma is not very strong, and it was pretty difficult to pick up as much as I did.

The strongest taste in the beer is the alcohol, no contest. That is not a good thing, since I like to have the alcohol well disguised, instead of front and center. There is also the taste of grapefruit and caramel, but they are overwhelmed by the alcohol taste.

Less than medium bodied with somewhat high carbonation. Not what I expected, and really disappointing. Doesn't really taste or feel like a Barleywine, just a booze bomb.

2.44/5  rDev -36.5%

Bottle into Founders snifter. I don't know if others exist, but this is a 2012 vintage.

I think this was an extra from mnbearsfan, but I am not 100% on that.

Apricot colored body sits with a fluffy beige crown of 3 fingers loftily perched atop. Very thick lacing and strong retention. I prefer my barleywines to be a shade darker, but I will admit that this looks mighty fine.

Smells surprisingly light on the malt bill... I get a big herbal spicy hop note over a sugar-glazed-citrusy sweetness. Quite underwhelming.
The flavor is much the same, but with a very large booziness on the backend. Spicy, piny, and herbal hops dominate the profile... Overly boozy.

Feels thin and overcarbed.

Overall-- a rare miss from NG. I tend to really enjoy their offerings, especially the unplugged series... But this just lacks anything special.

2.76/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Chilled bottle into a glass, courtesy of lurchingbeast. Thanks, Frank!

A: Pours a murky (opaque, really) copper body that glows sunset orange against the light. Head is 2 fingers in height and it lasts a while, leaving some suds around the rim of the glass.

S: Caramel, sugar, some orange pith and possibly tangerine. I must admit I was expecting something more hop-forward given the American barleywine designation; that being said, it doesn't have the rich, nuanced malt profile I'd expect from an English barleywine, either (toffee, nuts, etc.). I don't know where to place this, but it's not expressive in either the malt or hops department.

T: This has a general, sweet richness of caramel / sugar with a small citrus pith flavor; I get the sense it used mild flavoring hops or this bottle has faded. Not much complexity, but no flaws, either. If you told me this was a barleywine from a no-name brewpub, I'd believe it. From New Glarus it's surprisingly weak.

M: Slightly watery, but there is no hint of the ABV, and despite the sweetness, the beer finishes relatively clean.

O: Pretty mediocre, and I tend to like New Glarus a lot.

2.84/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Was in a barleywine mood and I had this from a trade with Duff27; thanks again, buddy! 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with foiled over branded pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are very high; I love a lot of beers from this brewery and Duff27 insists the thumbprint series beers are the best. Brewed with Styrian Goding, Willamette, Columbia, and Sterling hops.

Served straight from the fridge (per label instructions it should be 45 degrees F) and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with salted pretzels.

A: Pours a one finger beige colour head of slight cream, okay thickness, and good (~4 minute) retention for the high ABV. No lacing as the head recedes. Body colour is a surprisingly bright pale clear copper. Translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks more like an IPA than a barleywine. Fairly vibrant. It's caught me a bit off-guard, but it's generally appealing for the style. There's nothing unique or special here, but there are no overt flaws. I'm excited to try it.

Sm: Surprisingly hoppy, actually. Floral hop character, juicy citrus, clean bright malts, and some nectary hop character. Boy, this seems more like a wheatwine than a barleywine. There's definite pungent fruit here; mango and other vaguely tropical fruits come to mind - all bright fruits. The heavy malt build I'd expect from a barleywine is not present here; it's surprisingly hop-centric. Light caramel. Sweet, evoking Belgian candi sugar. Sweetbread. Honey. Light orange. Ripe fruit is dominant. Pineapple. A pretty strong aroma, but not at all what I was expecting. Still, I'm looking forward to trying it. New Glarus rarely goes a direction we expect. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

T: Ripe fruit and caramel, with the sweet candi sugar body beneath it. Hrm. Tropical fruit is complemented by a large dose of hop character - which feels unwelcome here. I get acidic pineapple (especially on the finish), a touch of over-ripe orange, lots of pineapple, light cidre-like apple, a bit of white plum, lychee, and crystal malt. Seems more like the wheatwines I've had than the barleywines I've had. Lacks a dark toffee-like malty build. This is not what I'm used to - or particularly what I like - in a barleywine. Overly hoppy. Alcohol has definite presence here, but I wouldn't call it hot - just boozy. Little yeast character, if any. Balanced and fruity. Complex and well put together, but it may lack needed subtlety. This is more a fresh blast of hops with a fruity bright malt body than the refined toffee-like caramel build I expect in a good barleywine.

Mf: Good carbonation. Smooth and wet. Rather thick, with a heavy body. Palate presence is good, but it is a bit overwhelming. Crisp. Suits the flavour profile well, but it does have a bit of a bite. It's very filling. Acidity is a touch high for the style.

Dr: It's a sipper. The 12% does hit. I'll have no trouble finishing this one, but I may have expected too much based solely on the brewery. For my specific tastes, this isn't a particularly satisfying barleywine, but it may hit home for others. I got none of the "toasty graham cracker" notes described on the label. A pretty decent barleywine from New Glarus, but not up to par with many of their other beers. I'm glad I got to try this one; thanks again, Duff27! Maybe 3-5 years of age would do this one some good.

High C

03.27.15 live (heavily truncated) impressions of a bottle again provided by Duff27:

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Upon pouring, I immediately notice a strangely prominent sweetness and fruitiness. The build seems candied and bugglegummy, and never introduces the notes I've come to love in a good barleywine. Overly sweet, and below average in aromatic strength.

The taste is just as the aroma promised...which is to say troublesome. The balance is off - tipped too far towards sweetness - and the texture just doesn't fit the taste; It's oddly dry, parching, and it emphasizes the subtle spiciness of the yeast a bit too much. Not a gestalt beer, but an okay one for what it is.

This isn't the quality you'd expect/hope for from one of the USA's best breweries, but it's not awful and I'll finish it (albeit with some effort). A rare miss from New Glarus; this is direly overhopped and bitter for the style.

High D+

2.97/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A - Almost a burnt orange, pencil thin white head- dissipates very quickly but sticking to the rim, light carbonation rising

S - Aged fruit - pineapple, cherry, apple, orange, very hoppy, and booze

T - Ripe pineapple, carmel, orange, apple. finish: hoppy booze

M - Moderate frothiness, good coverage around the mouth. acidity pricks the tongue. low viscosity.

O - Most different color ive seen in a barley wine. Missing the toffee malt backbone. Certainly a sipper at 12 abv. Very hop centered- no doubt its American. But the ripe pineapple isn't pleasant- far too sweet. Get no taste of the 'Toasty Graham cracker'. I am pretty disappointed in NG with this. Three more will certainly sit in the cellar. We'll check back in a few years. Hopefully this pineapple/booze can simmer down a bit.

3.05/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured from the bottle into a goblet, this barley wine was a reddish copper color with a slight head. The most immediate aroma was the citrus note of hops. Initial taste was a intense citurs flavor. As other reviewers have noted, this is more characteristic of an DIPA. Also hidden in the flavor was a faint nutty taste that reminded me of amaretto. It should further be noted that there was a strong alcohol presence in the taste with a slight malt backbone. The aftertaste, aided by a thicker texture, had a lingering warming sensation of alcohol. The citrus hints accompanied the alcohol, but were no longer as potent.

New Glarus may be my favorite brewery and barley wine is among my favorite styles, but this was certainly a letdown. Lacking the sweetness of a good barley, this does resemble a DIPA.

3.11/5  rDev -19%

Pours out a slightly dark orange in color with a tiny white head with little retention.

Smell is muted and hard to get much. I smell a little caremal and thats about it - just a tiny bit of sweetness. Taste is nice but nothing really not sticks out. There's definately some caremal sweetness, a tad bit of booze but really is hardly noticable (even at 12 ABV). I definately would drink this again but it really isn't anything I would seek out. Just nothing really great. Sure it's good but nothing better than average.

FWIW everybody seemed to rate this high and find charactoristics that I just couldn't. I do always seem to have signs of allergys so maybe that's affecting my review but I seem to always have that stuffy nose and can pick things out in most other beers.

12 oz into snifter
A- Deep orange, 1 finger dense white head.
S- Booze, malt, sweet
T- Very sweet, a little malt, some apple, very little hops in the finish
M- A bit of carbonation tingle in the finish, not as thick as expected.
O- This beer is fine, but considering CW Y2K and BBBW have the same distro and price point, I can't really justify ever buying this again.

3.11/5  rDev -19%

12 oz poured into a snifter. Split with a friend.

It's a blondie! Much lighter color than others of its kind with a good head. Fleeting malts and citrus hops in the aroma... certainly sweet and somewhat fruity. Smells like a malty pale ale to me.

Tastes fruity, slightly bitter, slightly boozy... like an ordinary DIPA. Not the beast as it proclaims to be. Disappointingly thin with no particular highlights. Seems like a beer to age on barrels if highlighting barrels is the objective. Thoroughly ordinary and not memorable in any way.

4.5, 3.5, 3, 2, 3

3.12/5  rDev -18.8%

Bought the thumbprint 4 pack and plan to age the remaining 3. Bought young, tasted young. I purchased this in early January right when it hit shelves.

A - Large white head quickly recedes to a small (and after 30 min, no) cap of foam. Its golden color leaves it on or under the threshold of color expectations. Brilliant clarity with little to no lacing.

S - Complex hop character yet no overpowering distinctions. A little bit of sourness, green apple, tangerine citrus hops, clear belgian candy sugar sweetness, really light malt notes. Noticable alcoholic nose only gets more prevalant with temperture.

T - Pretty distict clear candy-like sweetness, no real caramel, chocolate, roast or dark malts. Has a sharp bitterness that is close to overwhelming. Alcoholic warming finishing features.

M - The lighter end of full bodied, light carbonation.

O - Not very complex flavors for a barleywine. I did an initial review and waited to finilize it after I had again reviewed it after it warmed up. On the bottle Dan Carey describes the malt as graham cracker which for me is hard to fathom unless refering to its sweetness, for the beer is clearly hop centered. An overall rare letdown from New Glarus. I will be aging the other 3 bottles so hopefully the alcohol mellows and the malt character steps forward.

3.15/5  rDev -18%

Big thanks to BeerFMAndy for getting a box of New Glarus out to me. Served in a New Glarus taster glass.

Pours a fairly-clear caramel color with a thin white head. Retention is a bit weak, quickly falling to a thin collar. The nose has some sweet malt with some light fruits and a good dose of bread plus caramel. Some lingering hops contribute a bit of bitterness to the flavor, and there's some warming booze in the background. Medium-full body with a good dose of residual sugar. Decent, but not a standout.

3.2/5  rDev -16.7%

split a 12-ounce bottle with a friend. Served in Great Taste of the Midwest glasses (2011 and 2004, respectively).

Aroma: Prominent grapefruit/resiny hops up front with alcohol evident in the finish. Malt aroma low to moderate at best.

Appearance: Largely transparent amber with orange-ish notes. Persistent off-white head with minimal lacing. On the light end of the appearance range for an American Barleywine.

Flavor: Where's the intense maltiness? This beer is delicious but is frankly missing the intense in-your-face-malty character of a badass (12% abv?) barleywine. Hop flavor and bitterness dominate along with a nice, long alcohol-laden finish. If this was presented as an Imperial IPA it would grade higher.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a nice texture that nevertheless lacks the velvety lushness of the style. Medium-low carbonation with a fairly dry finish, albeit with alcohol quite present.

Overall: It just lacks the intense malt character of a barleywine. Certainly an enjoyable beer but not accurate for the style. I'd give a 4+ if was classified as an IIPA. We'll see how it ages.

3.29/5  rDev -14.3%

12oz bottle, dated 12/27/11; almost 3 years old at this point. Poured into a TG snifter 9/28/2014.

A- Darker golden body, one finger white head that disappears quickly. Leaves a medium-sized collar, a little bit of lacing here and there. [3.5]

S- Crackers, orange marmalade, sweet caramel, a bit of toffee, some ethanol. A bit of citrus zest, oxidation. [3.25]

F- Biscuits, crackers, orange marmalade, floral notes, caramel and toffee. A good bit of ethanol heat as well, surprising for a beer that's this old. Fairly typical big barleywine character; I can tell this used to be very hoppy, based on its fairly bitter but non-descript finish; it's like Bigfoot but not quite as sweet. [3.5]

M- Medium bodied, low carbonation, a bit too hot for my tastes. Finish is fairly sweet and boozy. [3]

O- A fairly strong barleywine; not sure time did this a lot of favors but I've never had this one fresh. Already developing a bit of pleasant oxidation and still fairly bitter although I have to imagine the aromatic hops have faded a long time ago. Definitely a bottle worth sharing rather than doming. [3]

3.33/5  rDev -13.3%

First NG thumbprint beer of 2012. Let see how they did...

poured into a snifter.

Appearance: golden orange bodied beer with a solid one inch tall bone white head. Spotty lacing clings to the side of the glass. Head drops quickly to a ring around the side of the glass.

Smell: Smells really fruity and citrusy hops grapefruit, oranges, pineapples, mangos and lite pine. The malts seem to be hiding in the back of the beer with notes of light caramel, biscuits and a light syrupy smell to it.

Taste: Moderate bitterness right out of the gates. Lots of pine notes with the citrus getting lost in the bitterness. The malt bill also seems to be lost in this beer. Finishes bitter and piney. Just barely any boozey notes even though this beer is a monster at 12%; that is the impressive part of this beer.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation levels. This beer is both slick and clean despite it bitterness.

Overall: Its not a barleywine and its closer to an Imperial IPA, but its not really that style either. Its a beer with a lost identity. I really love NG beers, but I gotta say I am dissapointed. I am not a huge fan of American style Barleywines, but I still can appreciate a good American Barleywine. Its a well made beer, but I think that New Glarus could have done a better job on this beer.

3.33/5  rDev -13.3%

12 oz bottle courtesy of AlAlvarez. It was allowed to warm before being poured into my Duvel tulip.

New Glarus Thumbprint Barley Wine pours a super clear orange, with three to four fingers of cream colored foam topping the beer. The head retention is very good, but the lacing is fairly spotty. The nose is heavy on dank piney hops, with an herbal-mint edge. There's also just a hint of caramel lurking about. Each sip brings a touch of bready malts and caramel at the front end of thing. The bitterness is definitely noticeable, but definitely not quite as intense as some of the more highly hopped barleywines. The hop flavor isn't quite as heavy on pine as the nose. That ends up leaving room for more minty-herbal notes to clearly shine through. The body is surprisingly light for the style, and there's a definite (though not harsh) warming sensation from the alcohol. Cabonation is nicely dialed in, there's enough to boos the hop profile a little bit, but it stops short of being bubbly to a distracting degree. New Glarus's Thumbprint Barley Wine was a nice beer to have in my glass for a while this evening, it just doesn't hit the mark solidly, specifically as a barleywine. There's just not enough of a sturdy malt background. It's probably closer to the dryness of a DIPA in that department.

3.35/5  rDev -12.8%

Really, this is much more like an DIPA, IMO. I expect a barleywine to maltier. And the piney citrusy hopping was much more like DIPA.

Pours orange, white foam. Hops are immediately apparent in the nose. The taste is bitter, almost overwhelmingly so, but I warm to that aspect of the beer with time. However, it is a bit boozy, which I prefer not to have.

I am gradually realizing that I am not a big fan of big hoppy boozy beers that so commonly are touted by my fellow BAs.

3.37/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours light amber gold with decent carbonation. Evenly rocky two finger high head. Retention is average and doesn't really provide any type of lacing on the glass.

Complex yet light and airy, cinnamon and creme crackers with a touch of fruitness. Lemon, apple and wild berries. Breathe of alcohol as well as some pine and grassy hops.

The flavor doesn't really have an identity or any strong character amber malt with some brown sugar, graham crackers and cinnamon. Hop presence is oily with dampered hop resins and a light spiciness. Beastly alcohol here that is unlikely to smooth out with the evident lack of malts. Sipping it slowly.

Lightly steps on the palate and the hops show a heavy hand that allows it to dry. Low carbonation well built but again bothered by the alcohol.

A barleywine that offers little complexity yet is well constructed and expertly brewed. I just don't think the inspiration was there, more of a double amber ale or worse, an old DIPA.

3.43/5  rDev -10.7%

Bottle courtesy totoropanda. Thanks Daniel. Pours a clear light amber small head that has decent retention and leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is fruity with lots of caramel, some floral hops, and light alcohol. The taste is sweet with lots of brown sugar and caramel and some floral hops. The finish has a light bitterness and a hint of alcohol. Medium body. Low carbonation. Not bad, but nothing special.

3.47/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Somewhat cloudy orange in color. Forms a small, but creamy, tight white head that reduces down fairly quickly to a thick ring around the edge and a thin bit of surface coating. Some decent lacing.

S: Aroma just seems off to me. Caramel malts, brown rice and cruciferous vegetable cooking water give this an aroma that is earthy and vegetal while the fairly heavy alcohol comes off as being mint.

T: Unfortunately the taste is very much like the aroma. Heavy caramel and some lighter toffee notes on the front end, before a good dose of herbal hops give this a minty medicinal flavor. Finish is harsh, with lots of alcohol that just hangs on the tongue.

M: Full bodied, but feels thin. Lower carbonation is appropriate. Mild to moderate bitterness. Heavy alcohol presence gives this beer a feeling of warmth and harshness.

O: Geez, not sure what is going on with this beer. Figured the masters up at NG would have nailed this style, but this one is abrasive, messy, unbalanced, and pulls the palate in a number of directions, none of which are overly pleasant. Glad to say I've only got a single bottle of this one.

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

This is the Unplugged Barleywine. NOT the Unplugged Iced Barleywine. 12oz. bottle poured into a Cigar City snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a 1 finger fine white head with moderate retention. Beer is clear orange copper. Lacing is stringy and thick with little stick. Solid, especially given the style.

Nose is caramel, molasses, tree sap, citrus, and cane sugar. Nice and crisp but at the same time, lacking that certain robustness.

Opens sweet citrus, mango, and papaya. Tree sap and cane sugar in the middle. Pineapple. Caramel and sap hoppiness at the end. Finishes sweet caramel. Toffee in the aftertaste. Solid.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Bubbly and prickly in the mouth. The same going down. Messy finish with a lingering aftertaste. A bit thin.

A nice offering from New Glarus but overall, this one lacks the body and robustness required for the style. Not sure of the aging potential of this one. Still though, fresh, its a decent beer and worth trying.

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a medium-sized Duvel tulip. Thanks to Tony for sharing; I'm always ecstatic to try a new New Glarus brew.

A: Bright pale orange body with a light-tan layer of froth. Spotty lace. Ok.

S: Huge hops. Tangerine, grapefruit, and grass. No malt to speak of. It would be solid (but not spectacular) as a DIPA, but it's a little disappointing for an American Barleywine. At least it doesn't smell too boozy.

T: Fruity hops up front, with some nutty malt filling in behind. Juicy, dank citrus on the finish. Big bitterness, light sweetness. Again, more of a DIPA by far. Still, tasty and impressively devoid of alcohol; I never would have guessed 12%.

M: Creamy, frothy medium-full body. Excellent.

O: I'd love to get a hold of a couple four-packs to age, as I have to imagine the dominant hops will give way to more complex malts within a year or two. Right now, though, this is just too purely hoppy to impress me. I enjoyed drinking it, to be sure, but was still disappointed since it didn't live up to my expectations.

3.49/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a wine glass.

A- Pours a rich bright gold that has a reddish tint to it. The head is white and very thin.

S- This is a very citrus/hoppy smelling barley wine. There are notes of Orange, Pineapple, Grapefruit, Mango as well as other sweet fruits that I can't quite put my finger on. There is also a slight hoppy bitterness that melds its way around the overall aroma.

T- This is very hoppy for a barleywine. The taste is very sweet and fruity. The sweet start to the beer is also very tart and bready. There are notes of grapefruit and mango with light hints of barley in the middle. It ends with a sweet and bready finish somewhat reminiscent of shortbread cookies or graham crackers.

M- Chewy. Very carbonated with almost a slight sting to it. Slightly abrasive.

O- This is a barleywine that definitely grew on me a little. Initially I really did not enjoy it very much because of how hoppy it is. This is definitely the hoppiest barley-wine I have ever tasted. I originally bought a 4-pack and put 3 of them off to the side to age but unfortunately my weak will ended up leading me want to go back and try it again....twice. I am really looking forward to how the remaining bottle will turn out after about 4 years. A rare miss by New Glarus in my opinion.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

A- Pours a honey gold with a short-lived white head that fades into small bursts of lacing. Clear with a thin steam of effervescence spiraling upwards.

S- Pretty hop-forward in the nose, followed by a juicy sweetness. Citrus, pineapple, and a sugary maltiness.

T- Follows the nose. Hops are more than present, slight pine taste/bitterness lingers. Candied orange or lemon peel, maybe. Honey-like sweetness is a big part of this. Light alcohol burn.

MF- Slightly sticky. Hard to describe the carbonation...a burst at the end of each sip? Feels good.

O/D- I finally understand the comparison between barleywines and DIPAs. The hop presence in this is undeniable. I find it to be dangerously drinkable, but overall it's quite different from others I've had of the style.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Devil's Backbone tulip. It poured orange amber in color with a thin but frothy head covering the top.

The aroma has a bready, biscuity, slight caramal flavor coming out of the malts. I get a good amount of hoppiness to it as well which gives it a moderate citrusy and fruity presence. It's got a little bit of a candied orange flavor to it. Pretty good balance of hoppy and malty. As it warmed though more of a alcohol heat started to come out.

The taste also has a pretty big hoppiness to it with grapefruit and citrus rind bitterness throughout. The maltiness comes through as more of a sweeter, candied orange like flavor. Bitter, citrus rind lingers well after the finish. A little alcohol heat is there in the finish as well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied for the style with carbonation being average. Overall it was a pretty de centbeer, but the maltiness was a little too reserved and one dimensional for my preferences in the style. The hoppiness just seemed to dominate a little too much, especially in the citrus rind, bitter, finish. I think this could have easily been labeled a DIPA and I wouldn't have questioned it much. I got a lot of alcohol heat to it as well that didn't help. Good beer overall, but not one that stands out in the style for me.

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light amber color, with a short white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains caramelized malts, citrus, alcohol and some hops.

T: The taste starts out with sweet flavors of caramel and citrus that are followed by a mild alcohol sting. Then a strong but not over-powering and very 2IPA-like hops presence comes in. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and brings a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly hoppy.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, strong kick, good representation of style, it’s a solid beer but there are other beers in the style that I would choose first.

Thumbprint Barley Wine from New Glarus Brewing Company