Thumbprint Barley Wine - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Barleywine |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: mobius387 on 01-13-2012

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Barley Wine Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

355ml bottle poured into tulip 28/5/13 cheers MasterSki and Sean9689 for sending the bottle

A glows an orange amber with a slight haze due to tiny suspended particles, looks a little flat but there's two fingers of soapy foam that's gone before I really observed it and leaves a few random patches of lace

S smells of candied pineapple and wheaty cereal, caramels strong with a little pine, It smells more like a DIPA and that suits me fine

T some tropical hops work well, this would've been an absolute palate wrecker fresh, a little booze but if this has the 12% behind it that I see listed I'm impressed with how well they concealed the booze

M thick and syrupy and it takes some effort to pull my lips apart, shes one sticky brew, slick after the fact with a DIPA like piney caramel aftertaste, if this is really 12% I'm impressed because other then my sideways walking and my head heating up there's not a whole lot of booze proof

O hopped to hell BW and I'm happy with that, hits all the spots and I don't even know if I'd want to age a bottle

my bottle's stamped 3611 on the neck and according to Fresh Beer Only that would mean this was bottled Feb, 2011, if that's the case I'm worried how this tastes fresh. young BW?, old DIPA? either way I'd drink another

4.5/5  rDev +16%

4.19/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Received a 12 FL. OZ. bottle of this in a trade w/ rjacobs6 as an extra. I'm aging two of these so decided to pop one from last year and see how it aged. Poured from the red saran wrapped bottle into my 4 Hands Tulip Glass. 2012 Vintage.

Aroma- Carmelized with a light honey, super sweet background. Has a note of alcohol but doesn't overpower.

Appearance- Has a Reddish Copper colored body with good clarity. A .5 finger find head had average retention but only a few suds were left behind.

Flavor- Sweet, Candied, and tons of caramel come across at the beginning. Has almost no bitterness but hops are absolutely present.

Mouthfeel- Medium-Full Bodied, Light-Medium Carbonation, light bourbon and a sweet finish.

Overall Impression- A super strong Barleywine that was almost candied at times. I'm excited to try the other two down the road. Another awesome brew by New Glarus.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared by Sammy

Pale orange colour, ring of white head, light bit of lace as well. Smell is incredibly hoppy, beefed up malt bill with a bit of sweetness, honey and even some wheat like notes on the nose, orange and citrus fruit is pretty strong here though. Taste is very hoppy upfront with citrus and orange before giving way to lightly sugary malts, more of the honey in the nose mid palate into the finish, fairly bitter throughout. Solid mouthfeel, lightly carbonated, fairly full bodied. This was awesome, a nice hoppy barleywine that is so incredibly drinkable, would love to revisit this again.

3.91/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

An American strong ale. Big bubbly head on clear orange body. Lacey.Lots of orange aroma, and orange taste. Honeyish, caramel. Leaning on the bitter side with a hop bitter and dry finish. Lots of flavour, a dangerously drinkable beer, and a good high alcohol beer for a cold night.

2.95/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Was in a barleywine mood and I had this from a trade with Duff27; thanks again, buddy! 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with foiled over branded pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are very high; I love a lot of beers from this brewery and Duff27 insists the thumbprint series beers are the best. Brewed with Styrian Goding, Willamette, Columbia, and Sterling hops.

Served straight from the fridge (per label instructions it should be 45 degrees F) and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with salted pretzels.

A: Pours a one finger beige colour head of slight cream, okay thickness, and good (~4 minute) retention for the high ABV. No lacing as the head recedes. Body colour is a surprisingly bright pale clear copper. Translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks more like an IPA than a barleywine. Fairly vibrant. It's caught me a bit off-guard, but it's generally appealing for the style. There's nothing unique or special here, but there are no overt flaws. I'm excited to try it.

Sm: Surprisingly hoppy, actually. Floral hop character, juicy citrus, clean bright malts, and some nectary hop character. Boy, this seems more like a wheatwine than a barleywine. There's definite pungent fruit here; mango and other vaguely tropical fruits come to mind - all bright fruits. The heavy malt build I'd expect from a barleywine is not present here; it's surprisingly hop-centric. Light caramel. Sweet, evoking Belgian candi sugar. Sweetbread. Honey. Light orange. Ripe fruit is dominant. Pineapple. A pretty strong aroma, but not at all what I was expecting. Still, I'm looking forward to trying it. New Glarus rarely goes a direction we expect. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

T: Ripe fruit and caramel, with the sweet candi sugar body beneath it. Hrm. Tropical fruit is complemented by a large dose of hop character - which feels unwelcome here. I get acidic pineapple (especially on the finish), a touch of over-ripe orange, lots of pineapple, light cidre-like apple, a bit of white plum, lychee, and crystal malt. Seems more like the wheatwines I've had than the barleywines I've had. Lacks a dark toffee-like malty build. This is not what I'm used to - or particularly what I like - in a barleywine. Overly hoppy. Alcohol has definite presence here, but I wouldn't call it hot - just boozy. Little yeast character, if any. Balanced and fruity. Complex and well put together, but it may lack needed subtlety. This is more a fresh blast of hops with a fruity bright malt body than the refined toffee-like caramel build I expect in a good barleywine.

Mf: Good carbonation. Smooth and wet. Rather thick, with a heavy body. Palate presence is good, but it is a bit overwhelming. Crisp. Suits the flavour profile well, but it does have a bit of a bite. It's very filling. Acidity is a touch high for the style.

Dr: It's a sipper. The 12% does hit. I'll have no trouble finishing this one, but I may have expected too much based solely on the brewery. For my specific tastes, this isn't a particularly satisfying barleywine, but it may hit home for others. I got none of the "toasty graham cracker" notes described on the label. A pretty decent barleywine from New Glarus, but not up to par with many of their other beers. I'm glad I got to try this one; thanks again, Duff27! Maybe 3-5 years of age would do this one some good.

High C

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle cellared between 53 and 65 degrees for 1 year.

A - Poured into a snifter the beer offers a nice thick frothy head with large bubbles in the middle and smooth soft edges a pinky's width up to the glass. The body is crisp, clear, clean and a very nice orange color. Well done. 4.0

S - Hints of pungent fruit which seem to be the due to the perfect balance between the hops and malt that fill my nose. It is begging to be sipped. 4.25

T - Wow, let me start with the finish. The deep taste of plum and apple. The middle is a build up of the two and the beginning is a sharp maltiness. 4.5

M - The finish on the center front of my tongue is very unique. It's very abrasive in that spot. The sticky residue throughout and after each pull is well rounded. It is extremely smooth and surprisingly yet comfortably soft while in the mouth. Again, very unique for a barleywine. That being said, it is a very fine feel. This may be it's finest quality. My inky reason for it not being perfect is because I wish it were juuust a bit heavier. 4.75

~~~ This beer has gotten light-years better while in the cellar. It is fantastic! I you were in a position a year ago to have aquired a 4-pack and you cellared a few, now is the time to take a sampling. I have two more bottles in the cellar now and I'm seriously considering cracking them now... but I won't. I'll wait for their respective 3 and 5 years in the cellar. 4.5

---
The review below was entered on 1/28/13. The review is from a sampling from tap. The calculated the rating was a 2.7.

A - This is the cleanest bodied barleywine I have ever seen. It's copper in color with a moderate level of carbonation and topped by a half inch of white head. 4

S - Smells nothing like the barleywines I've ever had before. Citrus hops are prevalent with absolutely no pungent fruit or malt aromas. 3.5

T - After taking my first sip I had to think the bartender mis-poured and served me an IPA rather than a barleywine. This beer tastes nothing like any barleywines I've had. It's all citrus and grapefruit hops with a tiny malt sweetness. If I were comparing this to other barleywines I wouldn't choose this one over any other. I really like the pungent flavors of plum, molasses and brown sugar that come with the barleywines I've had in the past. In my opinion this one's flavors don't measure up. If this were a double or imperial IPA it would be top notch in the flavor category. 2

M - The brew is slightly coarse while offering a crispness on the tongue. It too leaves a slightly sticky finish on my lips. I do wish it were thicker/heavier in the body. 4

~ Based on the characteristics available to the consumer and not the way in which the beer was brewed, I have to say the only thing making this a barleywine is the ABV. At 12% it is right in the wheelhouse of a barleywine. Other than that I have a hard time seeing this brew fitting well into the style category of barleywine. This all being said, I do plan to pick up a four pack in order to cellar a few bottles. I suppose one of the true measures of a barleywine that should be considered is its ability to cellar. I'll review it again in a couple years to see how it develops over time. 2.5

Thumbprint Barley Wine from New Glarus Brewing Company