Serendipity - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Lemke10 on 10-15-2012

Severe Drought, we shared the farmer’s horror as Wisconsin’s cherry crop failed! Dan bought what cherries he could. The Apple crop fared better. Then joy! A grand Wisconsin cranberry harvest. What will Dan brew with Apples, Cranberries and Cherries? Oh my! You hold the happy accident of Wisconsin’s favorite fruit aged in oak with an almost magical wild fermentation. Serendipity is a wondrous celebration that sparkles your senses and dances across your palate. A kaleidoscope of flavor discovered by accident in a sour ale!

Cheers to the unexpected.
Reviews: 225 | Hads: 2,362
Reviews by kojevergas:
4.18/5  rDev -4.3%

1 pint 9 fl oz brown glass bottle with waxed-over pressure cap served into a Guinness goblet in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are through the roof.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a half finger head of light pink-khaki colour head, decent cream, fair thickness, and bad retention. Body colour is a vibrant ruby.

Sm: Obscenely tart, cranberry, raspberry, cherry, cough syrup taint, and clean malts. A pretty strong aroma.

T: Tart fruit, cherry, raspberry, candy, clean malts, cough syrup notes, and fruity as hell esters. A bit juicy. Impeccable balance. Incredibly well built.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Complements the flavour profile brilliantly. Perfect carbonation and thickess.

Dr: One of the best beers I've had period. An incredible brew from New Glarus. I'd buy this by the case. Obscenely drinkable.

A-

---
05/11/14: More notes. Green glass bottle acquired in a trade with the very generous Duff27 and served at fridge temp into Cantillon stemware. Reviewed live. Expectations are sky high. 2014 vintage (I think).

No bubble show forms as its poured.

HEAD: Two fingers wide. Khaki colour. Excellent creaminess. Fluffy and frothy. Leaves good lacing on the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Great (~10 minute)

BODY: Copper with red hues. Great vibrance. Translucent. No yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Looks gorgeous. I can't wait to try it.

AROMA: Tart fruit. Fresh bright cranberries. Raspberry. Cherry. Clean malts. Cream. Crisp red apple. Sugar-covered fruits.

An amazing aroma of moderate strength. It's fruity, clean, fresh, and inviting. I can't wait to try it. Exquisite.

TASTE: Brilliant fruity notes - cherries, cranberries, crisp red apple, maybe some raspberries. Subtle fruity esters. Complementary fruity hop notes. Any malty body disappears beneath the exquisite fruit notes. Sweetness is perfect. Rarely is fruit this evocative in beer.

Impeccably balanced and incredibly well built. This is a gestalt beer with great depth and duration of flavour. Astoundingly subtle, intricate, and nuanced. Truly a unique brew.

TEXTURE: Creamy, refreshing, smooth, soft, and wet. Perfectly carbonated. Has an apt smackiness on the palate. Damn near flawless.

OVERALL: Proof New Glarus may be the best brewery in this country. This is a unique fruit beer and absolutely amongst the best in its class, though I think those beers it competes with for the title are also New Glarus' brews. I could drink this all day and I'd be a happy man. A real treat of a beer, and one I'm glad I got to try again. I'll definitely snatch this up if I ever get out to Wisconsin. Worth buying by the case. Obscenely drinkable this slides down as easy as the most drinkable beers I've ever had. It's hard to imagine it much better. Wow. World class, definitely. Undeniably high quality.

(2,956 characters)

4.36/5  rDev -0.2%

Another big thanks to Jeff for cracking this one - it was on my "wants" list for a long time and I'm glad to finally get a chance to try it. Pours a very clean and slick, ruby-tinted mahogany with pretty remarkable clarity for the deep shade it emits. A beige cap quickly foams up a recedes almost just as quick while leaving a few decent rings of lacing after the first few sips.

Holy smokes, the aroma is a huge explosion of fruit almost unlike anything else I've smelled before. A very deep, juicy, and raw black cherry aroma is first in command, heavily accented with sweet red apples on the edges. The fruit characteristics are so convincing and pure without the artificial and medicinal hints that oftentimes plague fruit beers and can evidently lead to their demise. This smells like a puree or freshly squeezed juice. Super convincing, mouth-watering, and honest to god delicious - can't wait to try it.

After taking one taste, I realize that I misspoke when calling the aroma a huge fruit explosion... because it's nothing compared to the flavor. Hot damn, the flavor in this is just incredible, if you're a fan of fruit, that is. Just absolutely delicious, pure, juicy, sweet, and mildly tart, all at once. I get hit with some Red Delicious apples up front, immediately following by the gushing onslaught of ripe, black cherries.

Serendipity is extremely juicy and overflowing with flavor. A tartness hits quick and fast before it fades into a sweetness that carries through to the aftertaste. Cranberries are heaviest in the finish, providing another small jolt of tart before they turn entirely sweet and savory on the palate. This beer is just on the cusp of the sour/sweet line at times, and it dangerously flirts with it so well. Lighter bodied with high carbonation, crisp and popping mouth feel.

This.... Now THIS is how you do a fruit beer. Throw an apple, some cherries, and a few cranberries into a blender, bottle it up and call it Serendipity. Almost perfect execution of pure fruit flavors while avoiding all of the off-putting side-effect that commonly plague this style of beer. New Glarus... I like them. A lot. (2,142 characters)

This is one of the very best things I've ever drank.

I thought they were just bs'ing me with the whole "Serendipity" tag. There were no cherries because of the drought. So, no annual Belgian Red for mynie on this day of Giving Thanks.

But, fuckit, this was reasonably priced and comes in a cool bottle.

Pours fruit roll-up dark with a small white head. Smells similar to Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart in that you have lightly tart, exceedingly smooth nodes of big, natural fruit along with a silky yeast finish. Tastes the same but oh my god so much is going on, such perfect variegation.

I-it's hard to describe without sounding like I'm just reading the label. Red apples, dried cranberries, real cherries, bready yeast. It's like fruit and candy and beer only, remarkably, it avoids ever becoming messy or cloying. If I were new to drinking and you were to tell me this was a solid example of a particular type of beverage, I would believe you. Even though nothing else like this exists, this exists so perfectly, so wonderfully balanced and sensible without the bounds of its own self-enunciated logic that it simply *has* to be an example of something. Because you can't do that. You can't create the terms by which you're allowed to exist simultaneous to your own existing.

But it's not an exemplar. It's only itself. And itself is perfect. (1,354 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

My favorite of the NG fruit beers (33 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.97/5  rDev -9.2%

poured from a bottle into my ballast point snifter.

A:It reminds me of an amber ale in appearance or a dark apple juice.

S:It smells like a basket of fresh fruit.Allot of cherries and apples.

T:Very sweet,apple juice,light strawberry,cherry,tart..(duh)

M:Very lightly carbonated ,smooth.

O:Very tasty and very sweet.Something you gotta crave in my opinion.I would drink it again if I could but I would not go crazy chasing it.Deff worth the 12$ a bomber.I want to try other NG offerings a little less on the sweeter side. (526 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -25.6%