Serendipity - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Lemke10 on 10-15-2012

Severe Drought, we shared the farmer’s horror as Wisconsin’s cherry crop failed! Dan bought what cherries he could. The Apple crop fared better. Then joy! A grand Wisconsin cranberry harvest. What will Dan brew with Apples, Cranberries and Cherries? Oh my! You hold the happy accident of Wisconsin’s favorite fruit aged in oak with an almost magical wild fermentation. Serendipity is a wondrous celebration that sparkles your senses and dances across your palate. A kaleidoscope of flavor discovered by accident in a sour ale!

Cheers to the unexpected.
Reviews: 248 | Hads: 2,491

By far the best fruit beer I have ever had. You can taste the cherries, apples, and cranberries that blend beautifully. I am not a huge fruit beer person, but this blew my socks off. Sure wish I could get a keg of this.

Pours a dark ruby red. Two finger head.

Smells of candied cranberries. A hint of sour apple. And some ripe cherry. Smells sooo so good.

Tastes like cranberry candy. So good. Apple hits on the aftertaste. No alcohol at all. Very very good beer.

Mouthfeel is great. Nice carbonation. Clean finish.

Would absolutely drink this beer again. Puckers a bit on the finish. Pick it up if you see it.

Look: Poured a deep red color with a finger and a half of off white head. Leaving behind great lacing in my snifter.

Smell: Smells of apples, cherries and cranberries with a slight hint of woodiness to it. One minute it seems to be more apple forward but then changes to more cherry/cranberry forward upon agitation.

Taste: The taste follows the nose to a T. Apples, cherries and cranberries with a bit of woodiness . Very nice tartness to the beer that keeps me going back for another sip.

Feel: Nice sticky feeling with a medium amount of carbonation. The carbonation cleans your palate so nicely that you will want another sip.

Overall: Another awesome fruit beer from New Glarus. One of my favorite beers. If you can get your hands on this beer, you should buy multiple bottles.

Through a drought brought us salvation, in the form of Serendipity, a fruit ale that pours a deep ruby red. Pinkish head forms and leaves a fair amount of lace.

Aroma of fruit juice and ale, consisting mainly of sweet dough, fresh apples, berry and cherry. Not surprisingly, the key ingredients in this brew really shine in the aroma. Quite an appetizing bouquet.

In the taste, waves of cherry, cider, berries and beer. Some caramel, honey, and raspberry. Just a soft oak and not overly dry. Light bodied, well carbonated, finishes with a fair tartness.

Overall, freaking great. A fruit ale with complexity. Very tasty.

A: A deep golden red that pours with a short 1.5 finger deep golden brown head.

S: Crazy smell. Love it. Strong sour apple that is bolstered by the cherry's sourness as well. It's got tremendous depth.

T: Very strong apple with a little sour bite which is a nice balance of the cherry and cranberry. That tartness lingers for a bit with the acidity of the beer. Fantastic balance though.

M: Crisp, carbonated, but clean and light.

O: A fantastic beer. Hard to give perfects, but New Glarus fruit beers have proven to deserve it time and time again.

Pours a deep amber to faint red with moderate lacing. The aroma is downright unbelievable. As advertised, sour cherry jumps to the forefront, backed up by notes of apple and cranberry. The taste is follows suit, with pleasant balance sour cherry sweetness and tartness, along with apple and cranberry. There's also a nice, fruity, spicy heat that follows in the aftertaste. The profile follows well, and is probably best compared to ginger ale for its sharpness. It thankfully has a low ABV (4.0%), or else I'd likely wind up face down on a sidewalk somewhere. For anyone who claims to hate beer, I'd recommend this in order to convert. Great stuff.

Poured from a 28oz bottle into a sierra nevada tulip glass:

Appearance: The color is like a translucent red apple skin, with some cherry colors, also some burgundy. Perfectly clear, nothing I can say bad about it..

Aroma: wow! simply amazing, a perfect harmony of fall fruits, tart, sweet and fruity maybe a little vinegar like aroma too, but like that of apple cider, not white vinegar, extremely pleasent, i would pay a lot for a candle that smelled this good.

Flavor: Again, wow! Slightly sweet oaky beginning turns into sour, then oaky, then sweet, then oak, then tart. its seriously a roller coaster on the tongue.. truly amazing. Finishes slightly dry with that tartness to make it refreshing. tastes like a fruit juice, sweet apples with some sourness like a granny smith apple, then sweet like cherries (deeply sweet though), then cranberry tartness and dryness.

Mouthfeel: carbonation is high to me, for a beer, but not like a champagne. works perfectly to me, some residual sweetness, that makes the dryness rounded and really well balanced. beautiful.

Overall: ill keep this simple. this beer is amazing. even if you HATE beer, this beer is for you. perfect for a post-thanksgiving treat to just mellow your night. if you see this beer, buy it. one of the best beers i've ever had in my life. great job New Glarus, keep up the fruit beers and keep them your secret because they are truly a work of art.

Shared this with Sendsilk. He introduced me to New Glarus. Thanks man.

Appearance: Pours a red/pink color with a film of a white head. Just looks like a fruit beer.

Smell: Smells of straight up sweet apples and strawberries. So inviting.

Taste - Taste is strawberry soda and apples. Not too sweet. Not too syrupy. Just perfect.

Mouthfeel: Light mouthfeel.

Overall: One of the best fruit beers I've ever had. Just right. If I traded, this, Raspberry Tart and Wisconsin Belgian Red would be on my permanent ISO list. I could drink this every day.

Pours a soapy, brown-white head. Tart, fruit aroma that smells of yeasty apple peels. Clear, burnt sienna color. Starts with a wonderful, refreshing tartness. Berries, the clear sweetness of apples, and the lingering tartness of cranberries. There is a flash of maltiness before the finish; lingering cranberry tart with malt.

This is beyond amazing. The best fruit bier from New Glarus (and that's saying a LOT). Just sublime. Each and every time I have this, it's a treat. I've been in love with this one since it was released, and I have no idea why I've never reviewed it before. It's just perfect.

Amazing Fruit Beer by Mr. Carey once again. Going home to Wisconsin means one thing, fitting as many of these into my (our) suitcases as possible, and then try to fit even more for all the request back in Arizona!

The sweetness isn't overpowering, is has a great taste and feel on all parts of the tongue. Bravo!

I can't find fault with any aspect of this beer. Bursting with fresh fruit flavor with not even a hint of medicinal taste like you so often get with fruit beers. Simply delicious.

Unbelievable complexity for a low abv. Drinks like a juice. Give this to anybody who claims that they don't like beer and see their reaction. Pairs very well with acidic foods.

Pours dark red, like a cherry juice. Smells like fresh fruits, cherries, raspberries. Second whiff suggests some combination of spices. Cinnamon and maybe nutmeg. Sweet and tart, extremely balanced.

I don't like fruity beers but this one is extremely unique.

This is one of the very best things I've ever drank.

I thought they were just bs'ing me with the whole "Serendipity" tag. There were no cherries because of the drought. So, no annual Belgian Red for mynie on this day of Giving Thanks.

But, fuckit, this was reasonably priced and comes in a cool bottle.

Pours fruit roll-up dark with a small white head. Smells similar to Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart in that you have lightly tart, exceedingly smooth nodes of big, natural fruit along with a silky yeast finish. Tastes the same but oh my god so much is going on, such perfect variegation.

I-it's hard to describe without sounding like I'm just reading the label. Red apples, dried cranberries, real cherries, bready yeast. It's like fruit and candy and beer only, remarkably, it avoids ever becoming messy or cloying. If I were new to drinking and you were to tell me this was a solid example of a particular type of beverage, I would believe you. Even though nothing else like this exists, this exists so perfectly, so wonderfully balanced and sensible without the bounds of its own self-enunciated logic that it simply *has* to be an example of something. Because you can't do that. You can't create the terms by which you're allowed to exist simultaneous to your own existing.

But it's not an exemplar. It's only itself. And itself is perfect.

4.99/5  rDev +14.7%

This beer caught me totally off-guard. I didn't really have any expectations of it to begin with but as soon as I popped the cap, I was flooded with beautiful cherry and cranberry notes. The apple is a little bit more subtle in taste and seems to impart more sweetness to counterbalance the tartness from the other two fruits. I am extremely happy with this beer.

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

WOW!!! I've had all of the New Glarus beers, all the Thumbprints, etc, and this is a REALLY special beer. I got 6 bombers of this today and I am enjoying my first glass as I type this. This is really like a combination of Belgian Red, Raspberry Tart and Enigma. That's the best way I can describe it. It has all the flavors of all 3 of those beers all blended into one. In fact, I emailed the brewery to tell them this was the best beer I've ever had by them. This is really an amazing beer. Wow. I can't recommend this more highly than I do. GO BUY THIS NOW!!!! World Class beer by NG.

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured into a New Glarus Flute Glass at 45 degrees.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful dark red body with medium carbonation and effervescence. Poured about a finger length of head that resides to just blotches on top and leaves a nice sticky lacing on the sides after each sip.

Aroma: Right from the start you get a combination of sweet cherry, apple, and cranberry. I also get earthy pale and bread-like malts, oak tannins and vanilla from the oak, along with a slight sourness and a touch of “barnyard funk” character.

Taste: The ripe apple and cherry come through prominently along with a bit of cranberry and raspberry in-between. The sweet fruits are definitely showcased here and are dominant but aren’t overly-sweet or cloying in any way. The hops are very mild and rounded off in the sweetness but are noticeable in the middle and finish, and contribute with an herbal, floral character. The combination of barley and malt provide a nicely balanced backbone of bready and earthy grains. The tart fruit, wisp of sourness, slight funk, white oak and vanilla characters come through nicely and very smooth from the middle to the end and beyond. Serendipity is much more complex than any of the other fruit beers that I have had from NG and I really took my time just sipping on this picking out all of the flavors and multiple layers of this beer.

Mouth feel: Light bodied and drink-ability is high. I could drink this all day! Like all New Glarus Fruit ales, they are very drinkable and you can easily go through a bottle quickly. For a change, it is always very nice to have a low abv beer once in a while.

Overall: This is easily one of the best fruit beers that I’ve ever had and one of the finest that New Glarus has ever created! This is right at the top of the list with the Belgian Red and the Raspberry Tart. I really enjoyed the combination of sweet red fruit, oak, vanilla and the slight sour character the most in Serendipity. I highly recommend and suggest going out and getting this if you’re a fan of NG fruit ales and if you live in Wisconsin or live near the border.

4.96/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

A - My, oh my. This is one of the best looking beers ever. Pours a clear reddish purple with a slightly tinted red head.

S - Pure bliss. Cherries, apples, cranberries are all apparent (and in large doses!). Tartness hits the nose mildly. Probably the best smell from any liquid I've ever had.

T - This is truly perfection. All of the nose comes through in the taste, only amplified. It is such an easy drink while still being incredibly complex. The cranberries are dominating while sour apples and cherries come through near the finish. Tartness comes through making you want to keep drinking it until it's gone.

M - The mouthfeel is pretty light on this one, and the carbonation is a little on the higher side, but it's not imbalanced in any way. The tartness really helps the beer out though, masking the alcohol and providing a more subtlety to the carbonation.

O - I knew this was going to be good; but not THIS good! I never knew a fruit beer could taste so damn complex, delicious and refreshing. Kudos to New Glarus for making the worlds finest fruit ales!

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

I've only had this one with a year or so of age on it, so I can't comment on a fresh bottle. Pretty much my flavor fruit ale! Almost jam like in its intensity and depth of flavor. So damn delicious on a hot summer day.

4.89/5  rDev +12.4%

Clear red with an orange-brown tinge, good initial head, gradually fades.

Smells of real cherries and cranberries.

Super complex. Cherry, cranberry, sweettart, cherry pie, real raspberry aftertaste. A bit of apple and blackberry as well? Not at all cloying, as refreshing as if this were solid real fruit juice.

Quite bubbly when cold, mellowed a bit when warm.

This is definitely my favorite of the 3 fruit beers. They are all a treat, but this is the one of the three I think I could drink a whole bottle of due to the others being quite sweet. Hope this becomes a permanent addition.

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

750 ml wax-dipped bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.
No date or info.

A - Serendipity's cap cracks with a loud carbonation hiss, a prelude to the tall, rocky off-white foam which rests on the beer for quite some time. Stunningly beautiful, this gorgeous beer pours a clear, rich ruby, almost blood red color.

S - It's interesting that this beer is coming in to briefly replace Belgian Red due to the cherry shortage because Serendipity smells incredibly similar. Bold fresh cherry and light cherry skin tannins come through with a juicy red apple nose appearing from a swirl. I'm hard pressed to pick out any cranberries within this aroma but, it's not a hindrance. Earthy tones and faint wood peek out as the fruit beer warms.

T - A happy accident indeed, this beer strays from the Belgian Red-like aroma into it's own unique territory, really coming into it's own. Stronger apple presence reminds us we're in the harvest season and suggests sipping cider at an orchard while cherry and cranberry bring a balancing tartness to the table. Like the aroma before it, earthy and faint wood notes start to emerge carefully as the beer warms up.

M - Pleasantly sweet, Serendipity walks a fine line, cautious not to step onto the cloying side, carefully balanced by spritzy carbonation, a lighter body, and a mildly tart, dry finish. Lingering flavors on the tongue beg for another sip, and another sip, and so on.

O - If you've experienced Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart, you'll find yourself in quite a familiar realm with Serendipity but, this beer doesn't only piggy back on their successes, it flourishes with new and delicious fruit experiences! Serendipity proves, once again, Dan Carey is an expert brewer of fruit beer. Buy without hesitation and be rewarded, for this, without question, will be another award-winning beer from New Glarus.

4.87/5  rDev +12%

Serendipity is truly a happy accident. If you mixed Belgian Red, Apple Ale, Cran-Bic, Raspberry Tart, and Enigma, I imagine this is what you'd end up with.

At first sip, you can definitely taste the cherries, so fear not, lovers of Belgian Red, the cherries are there. However, along with the cherries, there is a bit of sour taste to it, which is refreshing and keeps this from being too sweet. The aftertaste brings out the apple flavor in this beer.

I'd say more, but this beer really speaks for itself. I normally prefer Raspberry Tart to the Belgian Red, as Belgian Red borders on too sweet, but Serendipity takes care of this. Rumor has it that New Glarus will brew this again if it is popular, and I hope that is true.

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

Picked up a few of these for $8.99 off the shelf - what a deal.

Ruby red pour with a head that vanishes quickly. Steady carbonation bubbles, and pretty much crystal clear.

The aroma is delicious. Apples and sweet fruit. No sour notes, or hints of sourness.

This beer is absolutely wonderful. First notes I get with each drink are from the apples, then it fades into the cranberries and cherries. Some tartness, not sour. Very, very drinkable. It tastes very much like Belgian Red with some Apple Ale (like others have said as well). I love the apple notes in this.

Very light on the palate, prickly carbonation, super drinkable.

I could drink this all day, and would have no problem slamming a bottle like it was water. Awesome.

4.84/5  rDev +11.3%

This pours a ruddy rust-amber with thin foam. There’s an aroma of dark cherries, lot of sour cherry preserve and a black cherry note, with a touch of apple juice. Oh, and cranberries!

Tastes crisp and crisply tart, cherries and apples and the Great Lakes at the tail end of summer. Love love loved it.

4.84/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- Pours a very reddish amber hue. Fair sized, 2.5 finger head in the New Glarus flute glass. Retains well, laces very well. Clarity is high.

S- Very prominent apple notes up front, similar to NG Apple Ale. Underneath the apple is a tart cranberry flavor. There are still hints of the cherries, but intermingled with the cranberries. Overall, this one just smells delicious.

T- Same as the scent. Apple up front, then cranberry bite, moving right into a mix of cherry and cranberry. All three fruits work together very well, moving beautifully from one flavor to the next. Moderate sweetness is balanced by the cranberry tartness.

M- Light and highly carbonated. Easy to drink, incredibly refreshing, and not filling. Light without being watery. Feels like a champagne with slightly less carbonation.

Overall, I want more of this beer. I would drink this all the time in the summer. It's simple, yet complex, refreshing, and light. The perfect fruit beer.

4.83/5  rDev +11%

750ml bottle poured into my Central Waters tulip on 10/17/12. It cost me like $9.50 after tax.

A: This beer looks amazing! It pours a dark ruby red with little head, which settled after a couple minutes. Didn't leave much lacing on the glass.

S: The smell reminds me of the Belgian red, but not as strong and with hints of the apple ale. So pretty much just the cherries and apples, Yum! I really didn't get any of the cranberries though (or oak) so it lost a couple points there, even though it smells great.

T: Here it's a little different than the smell, the cherries are still there along with the apples but the apples are a bit more faint. You get a good taste of the cranberries as well and they add to the nicely tart finish. The three fruits blend together very well. It is very delicious and easy to drink, It is actually quite hard to stop drinking it.

M: The mouthfeel is pretty nice, I'd say it is about right for the style at like medium-light. It finishes kinda dry, but then your mouth starts watering and wanting more!

O: Overall this is another excellent Fruit beer from New Glarus, although I wouldn't expect anything less from Dan Carey! This is definitely a beer to seek out, I prefer it to both the Belgian Red and the Raspberry Tart. Both of them are also great beers, but they are a bit one dimensional where the Serendipity is a bit more complex. I hope this one sticks around, it shouldn't be a beer that temporarily replaces the Belgian Red, it should be added as another year round option.

Serendipity from New Glarus Brewing Company