Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Serendipity - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Lemke10 on 10-15-2012

Severe Drought, we shared the farmer’s horror as Wisconsin’s cherry crop failed! Dan bought what cherries he could. The Apple crop fared better. Then joy! A grand Wisconsin cranberry harvest. What will Dan brew with Apples, Cranberries and Cherries? Oh my! You hold the happy accident of Wisconsin’s favorite fruit aged in oak with an almost magical wild fermentation. Serendipity is a wondrous celebration that sparkles your senses and dances across your palate. A kaleidoscope of flavor discovered by accident in a sour ale!

Cheers to the unexpected.
Reviews: 241 | Hads: 2,442

I can't find fault with any aspect of this beer. Bursting with fresh fruit flavor with not even a hint of medicinal taste like you so often get with fruit beers. Simply delicious.

Unbelievable complexity for a low abv. Drinks like a juice. Give this to anybody who claims that they don't like beer and see their reaction. Pairs very well with acidic foods.

Pours dark red, like a cherry juice. Smells like fresh fruits, cherries, raspberries. Second whiff suggests some combination of spices. Cinnamon and maybe nutmeg. Sweet and tart, extremely balanced.

I don't like fruity beers but this one is extremely unique.

This is one of the very best things I've ever drank.

I thought they were just bs'ing me with the whole "Serendipity" tag. There were no cherries because of the drought. So, no annual Belgian Red for mynie on this day of Giving Thanks.

But, fuckit, this was reasonably priced and comes in a cool bottle.

Pours fruit roll-up dark with a small white head. Smells similar to Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart in that you have lightly tart, exceedingly smooth nodes of big, natural fruit along with a silky yeast finish. Tastes the same but oh my god so much is going on, such perfect variegation.

I-it's hard to describe without sounding like I'm just reading the label. Red apples, dried cranberries, real cherries, bready yeast. It's like fruit and candy and beer only, remarkably, it avoids ever becoming messy or cloying. If I were new to drinking and you were to tell me this was a solid example of a particular type of beverage, I would believe you. Even though nothing else like this exists, this exists so perfectly, so wonderfully balanced and sensible without the bounds of its own self-enunciated logic that it simply *has* to be an example of something. Because you can't do that. You can't create the terms by which you're allowed to exist simultaneous to your own existing.

But it's not an exemplar. It's only itself. And itself is perfect.

4.99/5  rDev +14.7%

This beer caught me totally off-guard. I didn't really have any expectations of it to begin with but as soon as I popped the cap, I was flooded with beautiful cherry and cranberry notes. The apple is a little bit more subtle in taste and seems to impart more sweetness to counterbalance the tartness from the other two fruits. I am extremely happy with this beer.

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

WOW!!! I've had all of the New Glarus beers, all the Thumbprints, etc, and this is a REALLY special beer. I got 6 bombers of this today and I am enjoying my first glass as I type this. This is really like a combination of Belgian Red, Raspberry Tart and Enigma. That's the best way I can describe it. It has all the flavors of all 3 of those beers all blended into one. In fact, I emailed the brewery to tell them this was the best beer I've ever had by them. This is really an amazing beer. Wow. I can't recommend this more highly than I do. GO BUY THIS NOW!!!! World Class beer by NG.

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured into a New Glarus Flute Glass at 45 degrees.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful dark red body with medium carbonation and effervescence. Poured about a finger length of head that resides to just blotches on top and leaves a nice sticky lacing on the sides after each sip.

Aroma: Right from the start you get a combination of sweet cherry, apple, and cranberry. I also get earthy pale and bread-like malts, oak tannins and vanilla from the oak, along with a slight sourness and a touch of “barnyard funk” character.

Taste: The ripe apple and cherry come through prominently along with a bit of cranberry and raspberry in-between. The sweet fruits are definitely showcased here and are dominant but aren’t overly-sweet or cloying in any way. The hops are very mild and rounded off in the sweetness but are noticeable in the middle and finish, and contribute with an herbal, floral character. The combination of barley and malt provide a nicely balanced backbone of bready and earthy grains. The tart fruit, wisp of sourness, slight funk, white oak and vanilla characters come through nicely and very smooth from the middle to the end and beyond. Serendipity is much more complex than any of the other fruit beers that I have had from NG and I really took my time just sipping on this picking out all of the flavors and multiple layers of this beer.

Mouth feel: Light bodied and drink-ability is high. I could drink this all day! Like all New Glarus Fruit ales, they are very drinkable and you can easily go through a bottle quickly. For a change, it is always very nice to have a low abv beer once in a while.

Overall: This is easily one of the best fruit beers that I’ve ever had and one of the finest that New Glarus has ever created! This is right at the top of the list with the Belgian Red and the Raspberry Tart. I really enjoyed the combination of sweet red fruit, oak, vanilla and the slight sour character the most in Serendipity. I highly recommend and suggest going out and getting this if you’re a fan of NG fruit ales and if you live in Wisconsin or live near the border.

4.96/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

A - My, oh my. This is one of the best looking beers ever. Pours a clear reddish purple with a slightly tinted red head.

S - Pure bliss. Cherries, apples, cranberries are all apparent (and in large doses!). Tartness hits the nose mildly. Probably the best smell from any liquid I've ever had.

T - This is truly perfection. All of the nose comes through in the taste, only amplified. It is such an easy drink while still being incredibly complex. The cranberries are dominating while sour apples and cherries come through near the finish. Tartness comes through making you want to keep drinking it until it's gone.

M - The mouthfeel is pretty light on this one, and the carbonation is a little on the higher side, but it's not imbalanced in any way. The tartness really helps the beer out though, masking the alcohol and providing a more subtlety to the carbonation.

O - I knew this was going to be good; but not THIS good! I never knew a fruit beer could taste so damn complex, delicious and refreshing. Kudos to New Glarus for making the worlds finest fruit ales!

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

I've only had this one with a year or so of age on it, so I can't comment on a fresh bottle. Pretty much my flavor fruit ale! Almost jam like in its intensity and depth of flavor. So damn delicious on a hot summer day.

4.89/5  rDev +12.4%

Clear red with an orange-brown tinge, good initial head, gradually fades.

Smells of real cherries and cranberries.

Super complex. Cherry, cranberry, sweettart, cherry pie, real raspberry aftertaste. A bit of apple and blackberry as well? Not at all cloying, as refreshing as if this were solid real fruit juice.

Quite bubbly when cold, mellowed a bit when warm.

This is definitely my favorite of the 3 fruit beers. They are all a treat, but this is the one of the three I think I could drink a whole bottle of due to the others being quite sweet. Hope this becomes a permanent addition.

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

750 ml wax-dipped bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.
No date or info.

A - Serendipity's cap cracks with a loud carbonation hiss, a prelude to the tall, rocky off-white foam which rests on the beer for quite some time. Stunningly beautiful, this gorgeous beer pours a clear, rich ruby, almost blood red color.

S - It's interesting that this beer is coming in to briefly replace Belgian Red due to the cherry shortage because Serendipity smells incredibly similar. Bold fresh cherry and light cherry skin tannins come through with a juicy red apple nose appearing from a swirl. I'm hard pressed to pick out any cranberries within this aroma but, it's not a hindrance. Earthy tones and faint wood peek out as the fruit beer warms.

T - A happy accident indeed, this beer strays from the Belgian Red-like aroma into it's own unique territory, really coming into it's own. Stronger apple presence reminds us we're in the harvest season and suggests sipping cider at an orchard while cherry and cranberry bring a balancing tartness to the table. Like the aroma before it, earthy and faint wood notes start to emerge carefully as the beer warms up.

M - Pleasantly sweet, Serendipity walks a fine line, cautious not to step onto the cloying side, carefully balanced by spritzy carbonation, a lighter body, and a mildly tart, dry finish. Lingering flavors on the tongue beg for another sip, and another sip, and so on.

O - If you've experienced Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart, you'll find yourself in quite a familiar realm with Serendipity but, this beer doesn't only piggy back on their successes, it flourishes with new and delicious fruit experiences! Serendipity proves, once again, Dan Carey is an expert brewer of fruit beer. Buy without hesitation and be rewarded, for this, without question, will be another award-winning beer from New Glarus.

4.87/5  rDev +12%

Serendipity is truly a happy accident. If you mixed Belgian Red, Apple Ale, Cran-Bic, Raspberry Tart, and Enigma, I imagine this is what you'd end up with.

At first sip, you can definitely taste the cherries, so fear not, lovers of Belgian Red, the cherries are there. However, along with the cherries, there is a bit of sour taste to it, which is refreshing and keeps this from being too sweet. The aftertaste brings out the apple flavor in this beer.

I'd say more, but this beer really speaks for itself. I normally prefer Raspberry Tart to the Belgian Red, as Belgian Red borders on too sweet, but Serendipity takes care of this. Rumor has it that New Glarus will brew this again if it is popular, and I hope that is true.

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

Picked up a few of these for $8.99 off the shelf - what a deal.

Ruby red pour with a head that vanishes quickly. Steady carbonation bubbles, and pretty much crystal clear.

The aroma is delicious. Apples and sweet fruit. No sour notes, or hints of sourness.

This beer is absolutely wonderful. First notes I get with each drink are from the apples, then it fades into the cranberries and cherries. Some tartness, not sour. Very, very drinkable. It tastes very much like Belgian Red with some Apple Ale (like others have said as well). I love the apple notes in this.

Very light on the palate, prickly carbonation, super drinkable.

I could drink this all day, and would have no problem slamming a bottle like it was water. Awesome.

4.84/5  rDev +11.3%

This pours a ruddy rust-amber with thin foam. There’s an aroma of dark cherries, lot of sour cherry preserve and a black cherry note, with a touch of apple juice. Oh, and cranberries!

Tastes crisp and crisply tart, cherries and apples and the Great Lakes at the tail end of summer. Love love loved it.

4.84/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- Pours a very reddish amber hue. Fair sized, 2.5 finger head in the New Glarus flute glass. Retains well, laces very well. Clarity is high.

S- Very prominent apple notes up front, similar to NG Apple Ale. Underneath the apple is a tart cranberry flavor. There are still hints of the cherries, but intermingled with the cranberries. Overall, this one just smells delicious.

T- Same as the scent. Apple up front, then cranberry bite, moving right into a mix of cherry and cranberry. All three fruits work together very well, moving beautifully from one flavor to the next. Moderate sweetness is balanced by the cranberry tartness.

M- Light and highly carbonated. Easy to drink, incredibly refreshing, and not filling. Light without being watery. Feels like a champagne with slightly less carbonation.

Overall, I want more of this beer. I would drink this all the time in the summer. It's simple, yet complex, refreshing, and light. The perfect fruit beer.

4.83/5  rDev +11%

750ml bottle poured into my Central Waters tulip on 10/17/12. It cost me like $9.50 after tax.

A: This beer looks amazing! It pours a dark ruby red with little head, which settled after a couple minutes. Didn't leave much lacing on the glass.

S: The smell reminds me of the Belgian red, but not as strong and with hints of the apple ale. So pretty much just the cherries and apples, Yum! I really didn't get any of the cranberries though (or oak) so it lost a couple points there, even though it smells great.

T: Here it's a little different than the smell, the cherries are still there along with the apples but the apples are a bit more faint. You get a good taste of the cranberries as well and they add to the nicely tart finish. The three fruits blend together very well. It is very delicious and easy to drink, It is actually quite hard to stop drinking it.

M: The mouthfeel is pretty nice, I'd say it is about right for the style at like medium-light. It finishes kinda dry, but then your mouth starts watering and wanting more!

O: Overall this is another excellent Fruit beer from New Glarus, although I wouldn't expect anything less from Dan Carey! This is definitely a beer to seek out, I prefer it to both the Belgian Red and the Raspberry Tart. Both of them are also great beers, but they are a bit one dimensional where the Serendipity is a bit more complex. I hope this one sticks around, it shouldn't be a beer that temporarily replaces the Belgian Red, it should be added as another year round option.

4.82/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from a 750 ml. bottle into a Russian River "tion" stem.

A: Pours a beautiful crimson hue with a finger's worth of off-white head that quickly settles to a thin ring around the edges. Carbonation is perfect for this style.

S: Red fruits and spiced apple up front, with a soft caramel tinge lingering in the background.

T: Tart cranberry is prominent at first, while the cherries take a close back seat. Apple shows up on the mid-palate. A beautiful blend of all three fruits settles in near the back, with a tart, long-lasting finish.

Notes: This light to moderate-bodied brew has a tart, but not overly dry mouthfeel. Serendipity is a fruit beer with very few flaws, as with most of the offerings from New Glarus. This brew is stunning, and I will certainly be seeking out more bottles. Cheers to the brewery for this fine effort!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This much anticipated offering from New Glarus pours ruddy red with some short froth that is reddish tan and falls quickly to a light skim coat.

There's a strong, sour and tart aroma dominated by cherry but the apple and cranberry blend together seamlessly to create an awesome smelling fruit beer. Some light honeyed malt aroma sneaks through the fruit.

The flavor is bursting with fruit also dominated by the cherry. The sweet apple plays nicely against the tart cranberry. The finish is sour apple with some tartness and sweetness to balance it out. The malt is in the background and no noticeable taste from the hops or yeast. The focus is entirely on berries and fruit as it should be.

The mouthfeel has a light carbonation that is perfect and this is tart and refreshing. Full flavored and medium body. More easily quaffed than their Cherry beer.

This is my new favorite fruit beer from NG. Cheers!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks go out to Ri0 for this bottle!

A- A dark red colour, big head of foam that shrinks down quickly but leaves some nice lacing behind.

S- As soon as I popped the cap, the aromas literally permeated the area around me. Big green apples and sweet cherries every darn where...ooh..I am SO digging it. I could almost hover my nose over the glass for hours but...it's time to take a sip or 2, eh?

T- Oh my! The apples and cherries are there as expected but better executed than even I expected(not my first venture into NG Fruit/Vegetable beers) and then I'm hit with a mild cranberry tartness. Whoah, Nellie, this brew kills it!

M- Medium bodied, carbonation light until near/at/after the swallow where it perks up a bit. MF, like everything else screams nectar of the gods.

O- From my past track record for NG brews, I had high expectations. Those expectations were exceeded! Marvelous true Session beer!

4.8/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750 ml wax capped bottle into 16 oz tulip glass

A: Pours a cranberry red with a decent white head. A small amount of lacing lingers.

S: Really pleasant aroma. Getting a lot of fantastic apple and cherry smells. New Glarus produces such wonderful smelling beers. (oh, and they taste great too).

T: Simply fantastic. I have to keep reminding myself this is a beer because all of the usual flavors associated with so many different styles of beer are missing. Just as with the nose, lots of apple and cherry working here. It tastes even better as the beer warms with a more tart dynamic working. As with most beers, make sure you don't drink it too cold.

M: A nice balance of sweetness and tart. A perfect carbonation level.

O: I really love this beer. Such a wonderful, unique flavor for a beer, and it gets even better and more juicy as it warms. My only complaint is the same one that people in 49 states have, that its only available in Wisconsin.

4.79/5  rDev +10.1%

I drank a whole 25 oz. bottle for this review from a pilsner glass. The first pour was refrigerator-cold but I let the bottle sit out for about an hour before for the second glass.

Pours copper red with a few fingers of light brown head. The foam had a little more color and thickness on the second pour. The head continued to develop when I swirled the glass a bit, even at the very bottom.

Aroma is tart and the apple dominates for me, though others pick out the cherry more. The second glass smelled sweeter than tart, the malt came through strongly, and I was able to pick out the oak as well.

Initial flavor is tart apple mixed with crisp cherry. You can focus on one or the other, like how an optical illusion appears slanted left or right. The malty background is there throughout and you can really work it up by swirling in your mouth. Cranberries take over once you swallow with their unmistakable bite. Again, the second (slightly warmer) glass is sweeter and the tartness isn't there anymore. I didn't notice the malt any more than the first glass but the oak is stronger. The flavor really goes through stages. My brother said every sip is a story.

Lots of carbonation, you could easily fill up the glass with foam. You can take a sip and hear the bubbles inside your mouth. Swirling it around produces a nice bit of foam in your mouth.

This is one of my favorites right now, I give it as gifts to everyone I know. I have a friend who is prejudiced against fruit beer so I made him taste it and he had to admit it was quite good. Even people who "don't like beer" like this. It's what wine coolers wish they could be. It's like the sparkling juice that the kids table gets while the adults drink wine, but has so much more than sweet to offer. At 4% alcohol one person can easily drink the whole bottle but it's best shared with someone. The first time I tried it was early in the summer with my brother and we were both blown away. It's good anytime but is particularly refreshing when it's hot out.

4.77/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2012 vintage, bottled served in a flute

Clear pink rose with bubbly pink 1 finger head with moderate retention and nice fluffy lacing.

Aroma is straight from Eden, crisp apples, yeasty bread, tart cherries. Dont detect the cranberries on the nose. Tastes similar to the Belgian red but fantastic depth and complexity is added with the tart apples and cranberries with great oaky notes and touches of vanilla.

I'm so glad the harvest was short on cherries because this beer is the best fruit beer so far for me. I got 3 bottles and I forced myself to hide the other two as they are just too tempting right now. Easily one of my favorite beer experiences as well. New glarus has a great thing going.

Drank from a 1 pint 9 fl. oz. wax dipped bottle
Acquired in a trade with surge1311
Served in a wine glass

Slightly hazed, crimson-amber appearance. The liquid was topped by a frothy, one finger, light tan head that slowly dissipated to a bubbly mass. Spotty drops of lacing stuck along the glass.

The aroma was ridiculously fruity and sweet. Apple notes dominated. Super cider-like with an interesting fermented apple funkiness. Tons of sweet cherry notes came through as well. A dry, powdery yeastiness attempted to reign in the sweetness but failed. Subtle oaky notes were detectible as well.

The flavor profile was just as fruity and as intense as the nose. Tart apples dominated. Very cider-like. Super sweet overall with rich, brown sugar-like notes. Ripe cherries and tart raspberries were also quite apparent. Some light oakiness. The finish was both sweet and tart.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied. Smooth, creamy and supple with a light, moderate effervescence.

The folks at New Glarus are masters at making fruit beers, and this offering is no exception. Although some might be put off by this beer's sweetness and seemingly lack of "beer-like" qualities, I absolutely loved it and cannot wait to see what other "accidents" happen in the future.

4.77/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is so good. All three fruits distinct yet blended so wonderfully. And add soft wood, vanilla and wild fermentation. My goodness is that nice.
Nice tan head that gets more dense as it settles. Orange and red amber in a mostly clear body.
The flavor is just as wonderful as the aroma. Again the taste of all three fruits is apparent with the cranberry and apple more forefront, but the cherries in there too. And the flavor of all three doesn't necessarily match the aroma, it is distinct and wonderful. Nice very well balanced tartness. Less apparent wood and vanilla.
Prickly and tingly and soft and sweet and smooth and light and just all around goodness.
Some have not liked this as much as the cherry or raspberry versions. This is every bit as good if not better. A wonderful beer.

4.77/5  rDev +9.7%

A - Strong hiss when the bottle was opened. Clear dark ruby with a thin head the fizzes away to nothing.

S - A lot of tart cherry like Belgian Red but with some apple and very light cranberry. The combination creates thoughts of cinnamon.

T - Sweet initially followed by tart cherry and cranberry mixed with apple cider. Light wood notes.

M - Sweet and tart at the same time with spritzy carbonation.

D - This beer screams harvest. A lot of similar characteristics of Belgian Red but fairly different at the same time. New Glarus can work magic with their fruit beers.

4.76/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A – A magnificent deep, deep ruby/maroon hue and a brilliant fluffy white head erupts to float atop the sparkling liquid beneath. A nice stream of bubbles jets up from the bottom of the glass. So beautiful looking.

S – The aroma is sensational with big cherry, cranberry, and apple. I never knew you could have this scent in a beer.

T – The taste is about the best I have ever had from a fruit beer. Not sour, but tart and sweet at the same time. Wonderful mix of the three fruits, cherry, cranberry, and apple. If you like tart fruit, this will make you forget all of your troubles as you slip away into a fruit filled blissful state of mind.

M – Fantastic carbonation. I think of this as a beer champagne. The subtle tartness will have you pucker at first but the gentle sweetness just keeps you drinking.

O – The best example of a fruit beer that I know of. I really don’t know how New Glarus could improve on this. Bravo!

Serendipity from New Glarus Brewing Company