Serendipity - New Glarus Brewing Company

SerendipitySerendipity

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Severe Drought, we shared the farmer’s horror as Wisconsin’s cherry crop failed! Dan bought what cherries he could. The Apple crop fared better. Then joy! A grand Wisconsin cranberry harvest. What will Dan brew with Apples, Cranberries and Cherries? Oh my! You hold the happy accident of Wisconsin’s favorite fruit aged in oak with an almost magical wild fermentation. Serendipity is a wondrous celebration that sparkles your senses and dances across your palate. A kaleidoscope of flavor discovered by accident in a sour ale!

Cheers to the unexpected.

(Beer added by: Lemke10 on 10-15-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Serendipity Alström Bros

Davit, Jan 19, 2013

Lambocalrisien, Dec 06, 2013

sbart518, Aug 04, 2014

DrLaFollette, Jan 12, 2013

GatorLCA, Oct 15, 2013

This is one of the very best things I've ever drank.

I thought they were just bs'ing me with the whole "Serendipity" tag. There were no cherries because of the drought. So, no annual Belgian Red for mynie on this day of Giving Thanks.

But, fuckit, this was reasonably priced and comes in a cool bottle.

Pours fruit roll-up dark with a small white head. Smells similar to Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart in that you have lightly tart, exceedingly smooth nodes of big, natural fruit along with a silky yeast finish. Tastes the same but oh my god so much is going on, such perfect variegation.

I-it's hard to describe without sounding like I'm just reading the label. Red apples, dried cranberries, real cherries, bready yeast. It's like fruit and candy and beer only, remarkably, it avoids ever becoming messy or cloying. If I were new to drinking and you were to tell me this was a solid example of a particular type of beverage, I would believe you. Even though nothing else like this exists, this exists so perfectly, so wonderfully balanced and sensible without the bounds of its own self-enunciated logic that it simply *has* to be an example of something. Because you can't do that. You can't create the terms by which you're allowed to exist simultaneous to your own existing.

But it's not an exemplar. It's only itself. And itself is perfect.

mynie, Nov 22, 2012

MEW, Jun 09, 2013
4.98/5  rDev +14.7%

A – A magnificent deep, deep ruby/maroon hue and a brilliant fluffy white head erupts to float atop the sparkling liquid beneath. A nice stream of bubbles jets up from the bottom of the glass. So beautiful looking.

S – The aroma is sensational with big cherry, cranberry, and apple. I never knew you could have this scent in a beer.

T – The taste is about the best I have ever had from a fruit beer. Not sour, but tart and sweet at the same time. Wonderful mix of the three fruits, cherry, cranberry, and apple. If you like tart fruit, this will make you forget all of your troubles as you slip away into a fruit filled blissful state of mind.

M – Fantastic carbonation. I think of this as a beer champagne. The subtle tartness will have you pucker at first but the gentle sweetness just keeps you drinking.

O – The best example of a fruit beer that I know of. I really don’t know how New Glarus could improve on this. Bravo!

Ri0, Nov 23, 2012
4.98/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

A - My, oh my. This is one of the best looking beers ever. Pours a clear reddish purple with a slightly tinted red head.

S - Pure bliss. Cherries, apples, cranberries are all apparent (and in large doses!). Tartness hits the nose mildly. Probably the best smell from any liquid I've ever had.

T - This is truly perfection. All of the nose comes through in the taste, only amplified. It is such an easy drink while still being incredibly complex. The cranberries are dominating while sour apples and cherries come through near the finish. Tartness comes through making you want to keep drinking it until it's gone.

M - The mouthfeel is pretty light on this one, and the carbonation is a little on the higher side, but it's not imbalanced in any way. The tartness really helps the beer out though, masking the alcohol and providing a more subtlety to the carbonation.

O - I knew this was going to be good; but not THIS good! I never knew a fruit beer could taste so damn complex, delicious and refreshing. Kudos to New Glarus for making the worlds finest fruit ales!

DemoniChris, Jun 16, 2013
4.98/5  rDev +14.7%

WOW!!! I've had all of the New Glarus beers, all the Thumbprints, etc, and this is a REALLY special beer. I got 6 bombers of this today and I am enjoying my first glass as I type this. This is really like a combination of Belgian Red, Raspberry Tart and Enigma. That's the best way I can describe it. It has all the flavors of all 3 of those beers all blended into one. In fact, I emailed the brewery to tell them this was the best beer I've ever had by them. This is really an amazing beer. Wow. I can't recommend this more highly than I do. GO BUY THIS NOW!!!! World Class beer by NG.

OriginalMnBeerGuy, Oct 17, 2012