Serendipity - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Lemke10 on 10-15-2012

Severe Drought, we shared the farmer’s horror as Wisconsin’s cherry crop failed! Dan bought what cherries he could. The Apple crop fared better. Then joy! A grand Wisconsin cranberry harvest. What will Dan brew with Apples, Cranberries and Cherries? Oh my! You hold the happy accident of Wisconsin’s favorite fruit aged in oak with an almost magical wild fermentation. Serendipity is a wondrous celebration that sparkles your senses and dances across your palate. A kaleidoscope of flavor discovered by accident in a sour ale!

Cheers to the unexpected.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,233 | Reviews: 231

This is one of the very best things I've ever drank.

I thought they were just bs'ing me with the whole "Serendipity" tag. There were no cherries because of the drought. So, no annual Belgian Red for mynie on this day of Giving Thanks.

But, fuckit, this was reasonably priced and comes in a cool bottle.

Pours fruit roll-up dark with a small white head. Smells similar to Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart in that you have lightly tart, exceedingly smooth nodes of big, natural fruit along with a silky yeast finish. Tastes the same but oh my god so much is going on, such perfect variegation.

I-it's hard to describe without sounding like I'm just reading the label. Red apples, dried cranberries, real cherries, bready yeast. It's like fruit and candy and beer only, remarkably, it avoids ever becoming messy or cloying. If I were new to drinking and you were to tell me this was a solid example of a particular type of beverage, I would believe you. Even though nothing else like this exists, this exists so perfectly, so wonderfully balanced and sensible without the bounds of its own self-enunciated logic that it simply *has* to be an example of something. Because you can't do that. You can't create the terms by which you're allowed to exist simultaneous to your own existing.

But it's not an exemplar. It's only itself. And itself is perfect.

4.98/5  rDev +14.7%

4.98/5  rDev +14.7%

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

WOW!!! I've had all of the New Glarus beers, all the Thumbprints, etc, and this is a REALLY special beer. I got 6 bombers of this today and I am enjoying my first glass as I type this. This is really like a combination of Belgian Red, Raspberry Tart and Enigma. That's the best way I can describe it. It has all the flavors of all 3 of those beers all blended into one. In fact, I emailed the brewery to tell them this was the best beer I've ever had by them. This is really an amazing beer. Wow. I can't recommend this more highly than I do. GO BUY THIS NOW!!!! World Class beer by NG.

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured into a New Glarus Flute Glass at 45 degrees.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful dark red body with medium carbonation and effervescence. Poured about a finger length of head that resides to just blotches on top and leaves a nice sticky lacing on the sides after each sip.

Aroma: Right from the start you get a combination of sweet cherry, apple, and cranberry. I also get earthy pale and bread-like malts, oak tannins and vanilla from the oak, along with a slight sourness and a touch of “barnyard funk” character.

Taste: The ripe apple and cherry come through prominently along with a bit of cranberry and raspberry in-between. The sweet fruits are definitely showcased here and are dominant but aren’t overly-sweet or cloying in any way. The hops are very mild and rounded off in the sweetness but are noticeable in the middle and finish, and contribute with an herbal, floral character. The combination of barley and malt provide a nicely balanced backbone of bready and earthy grains. The tart fruit, wisp of sourness, slight funk, white oak and vanilla characters come through nicely and very smooth from the middle to the end and beyond. Serendipity is much more complex than any of the other fruit beers that I have had from NG and I really took my time just sipping on this picking out all of the flavors and multiple layers of this beer.

Mouth feel: Light bodied and drink-ability is high. I could drink this all day! Like all New Glarus Fruit ales, they are very drinkable and you can easily go through a bottle quickly. For a change, it is always very nice to have a low abv beer once in a while.

Overall: This is easily one of the best fruit beers that I’ve ever had and one of the finest that New Glarus has ever created! This is right at the top of the list with the Belgian Red and the Raspberry Tart. I really enjoyed the combination of sweet red fruit, oak, vanilla and the slight sour character the most in Serendipity. I highly recommend and suggest going out and getting this if you’re a fan of NG fruit ales and if you live in Wisconsin or live near the border.

4.96/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

A - My, oh my. This is one of the best looking beers ever. Pours a clear reddish purple with a slightly tinted red head.

S - Pure bliss. Cherries, apples, cranberries are all apparent (and in large doses!). Tartness hits the nose mildly. Probably the best smell from any liquid I've ever had.

T - This is truly perfection. All of the nose comes through in the taste, only amplified. It is such an easy drink while still being incredibly complex. The cranberries are dominating while sour apples and cherries come through near the finish. Tartness comes through making you want to keep drinking it until it's gone.

M - The mouthfeel is pretty light on this one, and the carbonation is a little on the higher side, but it's not imbalanced in any way. The tartness really helps the beer out though, masking the alcohol and providing a more subtlety to the carbonation.

O - I knew this was going to be good; but not THIS good! I never knew a fruit beer could taste so damn complex, delicious and refreshing. Kudos to New Glarus for making the worlds finest fruit ales!

4.95/5  rDev +14.1%

4.94/5  rDev +13.8%

4.92/5  rDev +13.4%

4.92/5  rDev +13.4%

4.9/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.89/5  rDev +12.7%

Clear red with an orange-brown tinge, good initial head, gradually fades.

Smells of real cherries and cranberries.

Super complex. Cherry, cranberry, sweettart, cherry pie, real raspberry aftertaste. A bit of apple and blackberry as well? Not at all cloying, as refreshing as if this were solid real fruit juice.

Quite bubbly when cold, mellowed a bit when warm.

This is definitely my favorite of the 3 fruit beers. They are all a treat, but this is the one of the three I think I could drink a whole bottle of due to the others being quite sweet. Hope this becomes a permanent addition.

4.88/5  rDev +12.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Serendipity from New Glarus Brewing Company