Serendipity - New Glarus Brewing Company

SerendipitySerendipity

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Severe Drought, we shared the farmer’s horror as Wisconsin’s cherry crop failed! Dan bought what cherries he could. The Apple crop fared better. Then joy! A grand Wisconsin cranberry harvest. What will Dan brew with Apples, Cranberries and Cherries? Oh my! You hold the happy accident of Wisconsin’s favorite fruit aged in oak with an almost magical wild fermentation. Serendipity is a wondrous celebration that sparkles your senses and dances across your palate. A kaleidoscope of flavor discovered by accident in a sour ale!

Cheers to the unexpected.

(Beer added by: Lemke10 on 10-15-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Serendipity Alström Bros

kscaldef, Jan 21, 2013

nguasta2, Jan 02, 2014

cl3, Jul 08, 2014

Satan70, Apr 18, 2013

jreindl, Apr 20, 2013
3.2/5  rDev -26.4%

$9.99 from my local Pick 'n Save grocery store

A: brilliant rosy-red color, billowing light pink head, clear, head dissipated quickly
S: fruit and malt
T: cloying, cough syrupy sweet, pronounced fruitiness that is appealing but more on the order of a sweet soda, no funk or wildness although bottle states wild fermentation, no noticeable oak
M: rounded but cloying and too heavy from sweetness

wisrarebeer, Nov 12, 2012

baburns, Aug 07, 2013

Mitch_Cumstein, Mar 06, 2014

Norseman, Aug 29, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -24.1%

Thanks Moll. Served in a whatever. Beer is brownish and clear with a ruby hue to it. Interesting looking, almost still, no real head, no lacing, Looks fine.

Aroma is fruity, sweet, cherries, berries, smells OK.

Tastes a little medicinal, super sweet, rough actually, NOt a very good beer, not on the same level as Belgian Red or Raspberry tart. Not a repeat.

drabmuh, Jan 29, 2013
3.48/5  rDev -20%

I was just going to mark this as "had," but felt compelled to fully review after seeing all the glowing reviews below.

I was quite excited for this, which may skew my opinion. From what I was expecting, a cherry, apple, and cranberry beer that was unintentionally soured. That was the explanation I had read on BA.

I should have known this wouldn't live up to my expectations based soley on the smell. No noticeable sourness at all. Delicious fruit smells, but extremely sweet smelling.

Taste followed the smell. To me, this tasted 100% exactly like sparkling cherry juice. I mean 100%. No apple taste, no sourness, no alcohol. Just sweet carbonated juice. I had my girlfriend taste it without giving her my opinion, and the first thing she said was "This tastes like cherry juice!"

Overall, a big disappointment for me. It is still an interesting beer, but I was hoping for a sour, more complex version of Belgian Red. This ended up being my least favorite of the New Glarus 750ml fruit beers. Maybe I'll age one for a bit and see if the tartness comes through at all.

thebigredone, Oct 25, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -20%

750ml bottle poured into wine glass. Thanks Josh (thebigredone) for this one.

A- Pours a translucent dark slightly brownish cherry purplish red with about a finger's worth of frothy head that has nice retention and slowly recedes to a thin layer. Decent carbonation and considerable lacing.

S- Strong notes of sweet and tart cranberries, apples, and raspberries. Nice balance of the fruits and very fragrant but a little bit too overpowering on the sweetness.

T- Very sweet mixture of cherries, apples, raspberries, and some sweet malts finishing with a light fruity tartness that lingers for awhile. Lots of flavor just way too sweet for me.

M- Smooth, nice carbonation, nice body without being overly syrupy.

O- I've come to realize that I'm personally not a big fan of the New Glarus fruit beers. They are just all overpoweringly sweet and not that enjoyable for me. This beer had a ton of flavor, it's just the sweetness makes it almost undrinkable. I probably won't be having this beer again and I'm surprised so many people like it. I'd recommend it only if you like sweet and fruity beers.

jaasen64, Jan 07, 2013