Serendipity - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Lemke10 on 10-15-2012

Severe Drought, we shared the farmer’s horror as Wisconsin’s cherry crop failed! Dan bought what cherries he could. The Apple crop fared better. Then joy! A grand Wisconsin cranberry harvest. What will Dan brew with Apples, Cranberries and Cherries? Oh my! You hold the happy accident of Wisconsin’s favorite fruit aged in oak with an almost magical wild fermentation. Serendipity is a wondrous celebration that sparkles your senses and dances across your palate. A kaleidoscope of flavor discovered by accident in a sour ale!

Cheers to the unexpected.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Serendipity Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,327 | Reviews: 244
4.06/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Nicely Balanced, not too sweet. Apple cider and Tart Cranberries counter the sweetness of the beer, very carbonated. definitely one of the more well balanced fruit beers i've had.

4.08/5  rDev -6%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: deep dark amber which appears a rich red when held up to the light. No haze, but a thick head of frothy, slightly pinkish foam. Just what I want in a beer with cherries, apples and cranberries.

Smell: richly fruity with a strong emphasis on the apple and cranberry. Not much sourness, though, which would really have been the icing on the cake.

Taste: rich caramel-apple flavor; the malty elements here do a superb job at complementing the fruit. Again, it's basically not sour at all, but the complexity among the fruit and malt elements is great. Woo!

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good carbonation and a pretty decent creaminess.

Overall: I like this beer a lot. It's a bit too sweet to just quaff away, but if I could get this more easily I probably would buy some occasionally.

too much cherry for me

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Nice flavor, not too fruity - still tastes like a beer. Better than the Leinenkugel Berry Weiss that is too sweet.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Really delicious beer. Very fruity.

2.75/5  rDev -36.6%

If I wanted an apple/cranberry juice, I would have stolen my kids lunch juice boxes and added soda water. Just not what I was hoping for.

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

Paired well with a lunch salad. I enjoy the tartness of Serendipity, wish it was stronger.

These NG fruited drinks taste more like cider than beer. My wife and mother-in-law would love it.

Loved this beer. Tastes like sweetarts in a good way.

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

750 mL bottle purchased at the brewery, unknown brewing/packaging date but likely 2014; poured into their flute-ish pint glass (obtained at the brewery); drank over 30 minutes

A: 3/3 - amber-red coloration; high clarity (can both read and see through); initially frothy, head settles into a subtle glass lacing; small carbonation bubbles coming off the bottom of the glass; moderate alcohol legs

S: 9/12 - admixture of cranberry and apple with cherries taking a bronze; some gentle Belgian malts and yeast; no hop aroma

T: 17/20 - on the front of the tongue, there is lite bitterness; this is immediately followed by flavors that match the nose - cranberry, apple and cherry in that order; some gentle tartness and some alcohol on the back end; finishes semi-sweet and tart

M: 4/5 - high carbonation, low-to-moderate body, creaminess

T: 8/10 - another very good fruit/vegetable beer from NG but this my least favorite of the beers that I've drank tonight; the creaminess is an interesting feature; again, for $9.25/750 mL bottle at the brewery, this is a total steal that is recommended for trade if not in WI

TOTAL - 41/50

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Pour is a hazy reddish copper with a light tan bubbly head. Nose is strong red apple, lots of cherry, and a faint touch of cranberry. Taste has a good bit of red Apple, moderate cherries, like cranberries, and a moderate touch of sourness. Light body, strong carb, dry finish. Fruits are extremely bright and really play well together.

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

Not sure I quite understand the glowing reivews of this beer. The beer was much more sweet than I was expecting (which was OK by me, as I'm not a huge sour fan), and it tasted very much like an unfiltered apple cider, but with a "beerish" aspect to it. Maybe there was a hint of cherries and cranberries as well, but the apple flavor really dominated.

Certainly this is not a bad beer, but it struck me as a bit simple and one dimensional, and was not a beer I could see myself wanting to buy again.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Thanks to Tricerahops for this one.

Aroma of apples predominantly but some cherries present. Initial flavor is a healthy mix of apples and cherries. Cranberries are in the finish and resemble the dried fruit variety, texture and all. Surprisingly not tart but more on the sweet side. Very good stuff.

By far the best fruit beer I have ever had. You can taste the cherries, apples, and cranberries that blend beautifully. I am not a huge fruit beer person, but this blew my socks off. Sure wish I could get a keg of this.

Just AMAZING

4.67/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

750ml blueish? waxed bottle poured into tulip 20/10/14, big cheers towards alfie for the bottle

A very hazy maroon amber liquid with enough clarity to allow me to see the tiniest bubbles ever, two fingers of foam makes a little noise as it slowly falls leaving no lace much to my surprise

S brown sugar, soft caramel, and massive amounts of fruit, cherry, apple, strawberry, raspberry, and a hint of cranberry, smells like candy and cider with some yeasty earthy tones, not the sour I was expecting at all but its amazing and then some

T pie crust, massive amounts of soft caramel and brown sugar, wine gums, heaps of sweet over ripe fruit, I'm not getting oak but it has some earthy tones, so juicy its hard to believe this is beer, mimics the smell fairly well and that's a good thing, I can't think of a better tasting fruit beer

M a little syrupy and has a heavy body for 4%, the bubbles cream it up, its fairly sweet but not sticky at all on the lips at all much too my surprise, fruit pie filling on the finish

O this one blew me away, I can't think of a better fruit beer, it just hit all the right notes at every point, world class hands down.

Not only is this the best fruit beer I've ever tasted its probably the best beer I've ever had at 4% and under, I can't believe how much flavor got jammed into this bottle. I can't remember dropping a score this high in a long time, I want another!!

This beer was too sweet for me. But, I see how people would like it.

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks so much to Cam for sharing this.

Beer is a murky magenta/brownish color with an off-white head which retains pretty well and leaves some lace behind.

Awesome scent of sweet cherry pie, apples, fruit snacks; the taste is surprisingly better. Cherries are the most prevalent, apples are big as well, cranberry is the weakest but noticeable. Sweet but not cloying, light tartness, a bit of a vanilla bready vibe, not really getting oak. Nice smooth and full body, lowish carbonation. Insane flavors and impressive body for only 4%.

Simple but amazing fruit beer from New Glarus as expected, sooo drinkable and tasty. No sour funk here, just pure fruit goodness. If a pantheon of straight-up fruit beers existed, it would be Raspberry Tart, Wisconsin Belgian Red, and Serendipity.

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%

A- Murky, muddy red brown pour fruit juice pour from the 750ml to a tall chalice. A light pink tan head forms up to over a finger with a puffy frothy consistency. Thick ring remains with a long streak as well as sheets and spots of lacing.

S- High quality fruit juice explosion out of the glass. Apples and cherries are a dominating force and tartness comes out with them both as well as deep sweetness. Fresh bushels of fruit.

T- This is the last of the NG fruit beers for me to try and it follows up on their ridiculous mastery of packing ample fruit flavors into a 4% brew. Fresh squeezed apple and black cherry juice which is moderately sweet with a hint of tartness. Some bitter cranberry here but it seems to be lost to the other fruits.

MF- Medium bodied probably due to the residual sugars and fruit extract. Carbonation at a moderate level with a silky and frothy feel. Finishes sweet and tart.

I hope that New Glarus keeps this fruit beer tradition alive for all of existence. Apple and cherries coat the palate with intensity and it lingers beautifully. This is fruit beer.

Glass Used: Nonic

Appearance: This poured a very murky reddish brown color. A thick bone white head formed and dissipated in a quick manner.

Smell: A swirl of scents are intertwined here. You get the green apple and cranberry first then cherry on the back end. That's if you're really trying to pick those fruits a part. On a second sniff, I got candied apple all up in my nose.

Taste: The cranberry-apple flavors pop first, then a quick transition to a cherry finish. As this baby warms, it gets more tart.

Mouthfeel: Medium-high carbonation. A bit prickly at each sip. A medium thickness on the tongue.

Overall: The best fruit beer I've had hands down. I love the sweet-tart balance along with how each fruit profile plays together so well on the palate. If I'm ever in New Glarus' neighborhood, I'm making time to visit and trying their other fruit offerings.

wisconsin!

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours a murky ruby red, with an ivory foam that dies off as quickly as pop.
Smells like candy fruit, namely cherry.
Initially a cherry sweetness hits, meandering into cranberry tartness in the finish. Pretty dense body with strong carbonation. Sweet overall. Attenuation isn't a priority here. Syrupy for sure. The apple might be adding to the cranberry finish, if we're dealing with crabapples or green apple flavors. Its hard to tell. It tastes like awesome cran-cherry fruit juice, and not a whole lot else. I could see this as the best syrup in a great berlinerweisse. On its own, this is a great dessert after a hefty pot roast or thanksgiving dinner. It's not crazy complex, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better fruit beer.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

Cannot get enough of this. Never get tired. The right amount of fruit and tartness.

Amazing Fruit Beer by Mr. Carey once again. Going home to Wisconsin means one thing, fitting as many of these into my (our) suitcases as possible, and then try to fit even more for all the request back in Arizona!

The sweetness isn't overpowering, is has a great taste and feel on all parts of the tongue. Bravo!

4.8/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750 ml wax capped bottle into 16 oz tulip glass

A: Pours a cranberry red with a decent white head. A small amount of lacing lingers.

S: Really pleasant aroma. Getting a lot of fantastic apple and cherry smells. New Glarus produces such wonderful smelling beers. (oh, and they taste great too).

T: Simply fantastic. I have to keep reminding myself this is a beer because all of the usual flavors associated with so many different styles of beer are missing. Just as with the nose, lots of apple and cherry working here. It tastes even better as the beer warms with a more tart dynamic working. As with most beers, make sure you don't drink it too cold.

M: A nice balance of sweetness and tart. A perfect carbonation level.

O: I really love this beer. Such a wonderful, unique flavor for a beer, and it gets even better and more juicy as it warms. My only complaint is the same one that people in 49 states have, that its only available in Wisconsin.

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

25 ounce bottle, no freshness date.

The bottle pours with a white, one finger head that slowly dissipates. Color is a deep ruby red.

Aroma starts off with a massive hit of cranberry and (to a slightly lesser extent) apple. I get a slight hint of oak and tartness as well.

Taste starts off with a mouth-coating, juicy cranberry and apple mix. Sweetness and tartness show up in the middle in a perfect balance, briefly cleansing the palate. Slight sweetness from the fruit lingers at the end.

Mouthfeel gives that balance of slightly puckering tartness and sweetness, with the sweetness eventually winning out. Carbonation is medium, complementing the beer well.

Overall, this beer is a world class fruit beer. It gives you that juicy, tart fruit without overdoing the overly-sweet aspects that most fruit beers fall victim to. New Glarus has wowed me again and I actually prefer this to the Raspberry Tart. Cheers!

Serendipity from New Glarus Brewing Company