Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Strawberry Rhubarb - New Glarus Brewing Company

Strawberry RhubarbStrawberry Rhubarb

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Ri0 on 07-20-2013

Reviews: 137 | Hads: 1,311
3.06/5  rDev -29%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Bottle from an over the border trip while staying in MN for the holidays. Part of a 2 bottle gift-pack with some branded flutes.

A - Hazy reddish-orange with a thin head. light lacing on the glass as it empties.

S - Hints at a bit of tartness, but overpowering strawberry and rhubarb.

T - Nicely tart rhubarb for a split second, then your taste buds are knocked out with sweet strawberry that lingers long after the sip. I was hoping for a bit of wild yeast funk, but it is either non-existent or completely hidden by the fruit. More like a fruit smoothie than a beer. I know this is blasphemy to some, but 3/4 of the way through my glass, "wine cooler" comes to mind, albeit one with real fruit flavoring.

M - Syrupy and slick.

O - Having had this a few weeks after Serendipity, I just don't get these New Glarus "sours." The BA ratings are awesome, but to me, they are just too sweet. Lambics and sour styles are among my favorite beers, but I just can't get past the incredibly overpowering sweet strawberry taste on the finish. It isn't bad, I just am having a hard time thinking of when I would want it again. It's more like candy, a dessert, or a beer I bring out when a bunch of people are over and I want to share something interesting from the cellar that I don't really care for but think others will. I can appreciate why people like New Glarus fruit brews, but half a glass is more than enough for me.

I am glad I got to try this, but give me the nice, tart bite and general funkiness of a good Belgian fruit lambic over this any day. Maybe some age would help lessen the strawberry taste and let some of the tart shine through more. (1,654 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured into a New Glarus Pint glass

A) Ruby red, clear, no color on sides of class, two finger head that stays

S) Fruit juice

T) tasted upfront like a strawberry fruit roll up and tartness at the back of the mouth

M) Left the mouth dry, but very smooth beer.

O) Well, i am not trying to knock this beer. Not Dan's best fruit beer or "sour" I don't know if any Brett was used tasted like it. Overall, try it I enjoy Serendipity more than this one. (453 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -24.6%

The basic gist I got from this one was "strawberry fruit roll-up". Very sweet, with a heavy body, although it does have a surprisingly dry finish. Fruit rollups were a treasured luxury of my childhood, so the ultrasweet experience is not without its merits. I'm not sure what rhubarb tastes like, aside from my mother subjecting me to unpleasant prickly sensations from her garden as an infant, and warning me not to eat the leaves. I left rhubarb alone after that. All I know is a 12oz pour of this is a study in strawberry, and by the end I was schooled. My wife drank about 3oz, declared she was "over it", and poured her share into my glass.
I'd like this a lot more if I could glean something other than strawberry from uncapping to finish. It's just a strawberry sugar bomb that's not unpleasant, just not suited for 750ml quantities. (847 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -23.2%

Wine glass.

A: Pours an opaque apple cider color with a modest cola like tan head which fizzles out promptly. Decent enough retention.

S: Strong strawberry and rhubarb flavors waft several inches out from the glass. Really fresh, natural smelling strawberry like frozen fruit pops with some other red fruit like cherry.

T: Similar, almost like drinking a puréed strawberry smoothie. Lots of residual sweetness, a little bark, and only a pinch of tartness which doesn't offset the sugar.

M: Thick like a purée with medium-light carbonation that is engulfed by the body.

O: Just not my cup of tea. The Serendipity is my fave of the series, this is by far the sweetest and least drinkable. Almost a caricature of a beer (724 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -22.5%

A “bottled on” date could be located. Poured into a tulip.

Too sweet! Cloyingly sweet without the necessary tartness to balance. Could not finish even half the bottle. I took a flier on this bottle because it was New Glarus. I was on travel and it was “buy it” or miss my chance. I had heard that New Glarus does fruit beers well. In my opinion this is not one of their better beers. Very disappointed. 3

A – Pours a cloudy reddish amber with a small rocky head that dissipates quickly. A swirl brings back a nice but short lived head. 3.75

S – Strawberry, tartness, sour/acidic, rhubarb is evident as well. 4

T – Fruity sweet, slight tartness, strawberry. 3

MF – Delicate, light bodied, sweet, a bit acidic. 3.5 (733 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured a clearish rusty-red color with a fizzy off-white head that nearly completely disappeared, some tiny carbonation bubbles blipping from the bottom of the glass; no real lacing to speak of. Wafts of strawberry from the glass before I even held it to my nose. Unlike other NG fruit beers I've had, this one came off really strong and really artificial, like those little strawberry hard candies. The taste was similar, very sweet, loads of strawberry, with any rhubarb tartness being incidental and/or overwhelmed by the candy sweetness of the strawberry. Artificial and nearly medicinal, yet still strangely alluring. Body was medium, mouthfeel was syrupy and cloying. I didn't hate this, it had its charm, but it was just way to one-sided, sweet, fake-tasting for me to want more than a sample at a time. (810 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -16.7%

No freshness dating

A= Pours a gross brownish color similar to an oud bruin. It kinda looks like natural strawberry preserves also without the artificial coloring. The head is about a finger and rises and falls fast with little lacing.

S= The smell is pungent of strawberries and sour rhubarb. A little vegetable aroma from the rhubarb. A pleasant lactic odor as well.

T= The taste is heavy on the strawberry front with the rhubarb holding only a backup role supporting the strawberry with a sourness that is pleasant. If rhubarb turns you off because of the vegetable taste fear not. The rhubarb is only there as a souring component from what I can tell.

M= The mouth has a solid cleanses to it.

O= This is an awesome beer. The looks are pretty nasty but the flavor is awesome. Check it out fo sho. (804 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

From notes on 1/11/14

Brownish purple in color. Fruity, sour, kind of soapy smell. Nice sweet taste. Tartness from the strawberries, but still sweet. This is good, but the cherry one us better. (194 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle into DT snifter. Thanks Matt!

A: Pours a very murky dirty brown color with ruddy highlights beneath two fingers of active light brown head that faded into a fuzzy thin film and collar. Wispy lace was left down the glass.
S: Strawberry dominates the nose and is fairly sweet but not cloying. There’s a light tartness from the rhubarb.
T: Tastes like pie filling. The strawberry is prominent, sweet and fruity, and tastes like jam/preserves. Unfortunately much sweeter than the nose. The rhubarb is tart and earthy, but could be more prominent. Jammy overall, with an earthy finish. I get a touch of apple juice as well.
M: Tingly splashy carbonation, gritty mouthfeel that burns back of throat it’s so sweet. Cloying as it warms. Tartness is drying but doesn’t overshadow the syrupy sweetness.
O: Wish more of the tart rhubarb was present and less of the cloyingly sweet strawberry. As sweet as this was it’s not as sweet as Serendipity. Good but not great. I’ll cellar my other bottle for a few years and see if it even out. Thanks again for this bottle, Matt! (1,084 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer has a lot of strawberry and is very reminiscent of a strawberry rhubarb pie. Spot on for New Glarus in that regard, but overall it is just too sweet of a beer. (170 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thanks Steasy66!

Appearance. Pours a murky orangy-brown with a thin off-white head.

Smell. Ripe juicy strawberries and a touch of that NG yeast that always smells a little bit dusty to me.

Taste. Big strawberry and a touch of tart rhubarb when I look for it. That NG yeast flavour is there (like I mentioned before, slightly dusty tasting to me) and a bit of smooth and sweet light malt.

Mouthfeel. Below medium body with fine, below medium carbonation.

Overall. Very nice beer that would be made better if I could get to like the NG yeast flavour. (554 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

White head that falls into lily pads on top of the beer with a lacing that sticks to half of the glass in lily pad like patches. Color is ruby with blonde to brown edges. The color is clear without haze. Smell is slightly sweet strawberry with a slight tang to it.

Mouth feel is good, it's similar to the other fruit beers only with less body. Mouth feel is very drinkable with a lighter body lending itself to longer drinks.

The taste is sweet malty flavors mixed with a slightly sweet floral strawberry fragrance with some tart flavors on the end.

Overall it was enjoyable, but not as tart or full bodied as I had hopes for as what I have had before from New Glarus fruit beers. (685 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -9%

Color is a cloudy brownish red until you hold it up to the light when a light cloudy ruby red color comes through. Aroma - Light strawberry with some caramel malt and light acidic character from the sourness. Taste - Again strawberry but not as strong as other New Glarus fruit beers. Medium malt sweetness with some sourness maybe some from the rhubarb. No noticeable hop flavor probably from aged hops. My favorite New Glarus Fruit beer by far. (446 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - Poured a murky amber color with a nice bubbly off-white head.
S - strawberry preserves, sugar, some maltiness.
T - sweet strawberry jam with some tart fruit and rhubarb balancing out the sweetness on the back end.
M - good carbonation with a velvety smoothness. A little dry finish rounds out the sip
O - a very good fruit beer. If sweetness is your thing, NG is one of the better makers of these types of beer. (418 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -8.1%

Bottle: Poured a light murky brown/reddish color ale with a sizeable foamy head with OK retention and no lacing. Aroma of tart rhubarb notes with some lightly sweet raspberry notes. Taste is a lot more tart than I had expected with rhubarb notes being more dominant than the strawberry notes. Taste is more tart than the sweeter side associated with some of the New Glarus beers. Body is full with limited filtration and good carbonation. I enjoyed this beer quite lot but this is definitely more complex and bit less drinkable than I was expecting. (549 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -7.9%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Murky red body. Big off white head. Great collar.

Smell - Strawberry juice. A bit of creaminess. Strawberry always hints at a milkiness for me.

Taste - Rich strawberry. Still some creaminess. A hint of acetic tang. Like it wants to be sour. I can't pinpoint rhubarb, though.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Creamy. Doesn't taste that light.

Overall - Delicious but it lacks the juicy perfection of the other New Glarus fruit beers. (481 characters)

Pours a deep strawberry red and looks literally like I poured a strawberry rhubarb pie.

The aroma of strawberry and rhubarb just penetrates the nostrils deep and is marvelous.

The flavor is quite pungent but a little sweet for my taste.

The mouthfeel is exactly like a Red Bull.

Overall, great freaking beer, but a little sweet for my taste. (346 characters)

750ml poured into a snifter. The brew appears a clouded murky copper to dirty brown color with white bubbles resting atop. They fade relatively quick but a swirl revives. This brew looks like dirty water.

The smell is pretty darn intense like all NG fruit offerings are. The nose is filled with a complete essence of strawberry jam leaving little to no room for anything else. Candied strawberries coupled with fresh cut strawberries...and then more strawberry.

The taste is jammy and sweet with strawberry jam leading the way so much so that the residual sugar seemingly has a bite to the back of the throat. Then the tartness of the rhubarb comes into focus with a little earthy hop touch to round things out.

This is a medium bodied brew with a light amount of carbonation. It falls in line with all the other New Glarus fruit offerings, plenty of fruit and sticky sugars. Yet somehow balanced and not too over the top. I could never see myself drinking more than a half glass of this but it certainly is my wife's jam and she can rock this back like its nothing. (1,069 characters)

Another excellent offering from New Glarus! (So glad I live in Wisconsin.)

I poured this into a tulip, and had a copper-reddish color with a two finger off-white/tannish head which stuck to the sides of the glass as it went down. I held my glass into the (direct) sunlight, and it was cloudy/hazy. Not opaque, but definitely not letting much light through.

Medium to high carbonation, and had a definite strawberry aroma.

The taste was definitely more toward the strawberry as it hit the tongue, and the rhubarb hit several seconds later.

I would consider this more of a dessert beer, but I could see enjoying this on any hot summer night - whether I've had dessert or not. New Glarus does such an excellent job with their fruit beers. (740 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 2 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle shared by HopasaurusRex, thanks for the opportunity Todd!
Pours the murkiest light grey brown color with a hint of head on top. Huge aromas of juicy sweet strawberries and a hint of earthy and tartness. Hops yeah maybe. The flavor is rich and sweet with lots of sugary sweet strawberries with just a hint of earthy tartness to not make it cloying. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet just short of syrupy mouthfeel. Another great fruit beer from New Glarus. Cast from the same mold as the other beers with a different fruit and the same wonderful results. (587 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

750ml Wax Top
$8.99
Discount Liquors, Milwaukee

Strawberry Rhubarb has a mysterious looking murky, tarnished copper body. I can't see anything through the liquid besides the carbonation bubbles streaming to the foam along the glass. An off white cap rests on the rests atop the body and leaves patchy lacing here and there.

The nose is bright with fresh strawberries and a mild but welcomed lactic acidity that brings to mind strawberries & cream. There's a vegetal quality lurking around in the background that I'm assuming is a product of the rhubarb. Snappy and zesty.

The flavor kicks of with graham cracker maltiness I couldn't pick up in the nose. The strawberries are still bright but not quite as potent as the aroma. Tartness, although mild, is noticeable on the cheeks from the rhubarb and that lactic acidity.

The body is light, airy, and sports a moderate carbonation that keeps things moving. A mild sweetness lingers in the back of the throat while the cheeks and gums catch more of the acidic aspect.

This is another good fruit beer from New Glarus but it seems the flavors are a little muddled. This opinion is based on their other fruit beers, which are near perfect for that style, so with that said Strawberry Rhubarb is still one of the better fruit beers out there but my least favorite of the New Glarus bunch. (1,338 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -6.3%

Split a bottle with family and it went over pretty well.

Reddish orange with a crimson highlight, lasting foam with arcs of sticky lace in the glass. Patchy skim on the surface after a few sips. Body has a bright clarity and the occasional stray rising bubble. Flecks of spotty lace in the glass.

Sweet strawberry in the nose, hints of light acid and mild funk, though fairly restrained.

Tart and creamy, big strawberry flavor with acidic tartness from the rhubarb. Light and spritzy, lingering fruitiness in the aftertaste. On par with the other fruit beers they make, about as tart as Serendipity, the strawberry taste is pretty assertive. (644 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Enjoyed out of a green 750 mL bottle and poured into a Boulevard Smokestack tulip. Thanks to Stevedore for getting this to me.

Appearance - Very unique looking for a beer. Body is a burgundy, reddish clay color and very cloudy, which gives the impression of fruit puree. Head is a finer and a half of sudsy sandy-colored bubbles. Takes its time dissipating and leaves little to no lacing.

Smell - An explosion of sweet and tart fruit characteristics, with very ripe strawberry being the dominant profile. The fruit is definitely the star, and the aroma has me a tad worried that this beer might be too sweet. On the positive side, there is a hint of tartness, like there may be a little pucker factor to this beer.

Taste - Delivers on the fruity promise of the nose, but this is not an artificial fruitiness that you get from syrups or the way crappy flavored malt beverages like Smirnoff Ice tastes. This is fresh, flavorful and tangy sweetness, with a semi-dry finish. Unfortunately, the hint of tart from the nose turned out to just be the natural acidity from the fruit. On the tastebuds, the tartness clearly comes from the natural punch of rhubarb, rather than any souring cultures or bacterial. Even so, it's quite delicious.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied and moderate carbonation, providing an effervescent but substantial feel. In some ways, the feel--not the smell or taste--reminded me of a mimosa or bellini. Very refreshing.

Overall, a fantastic fruit beer. I can't say it's my favorite out of the incredibly broadly-defined style, but it's certainly up there. They manage to make the fruit the focal point of the beer without creating something cloying and overly-sweet. Rather than making it mouth-puckeringly sour with bacteria, they've tapped into the natural tartness of strawberry and rhubarb, to excellent results. (1,835 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -6%

750 ml green waxed bottle served in a stemmed wine glass. Enjoyed 7/20/13.

A: Pours a murky brownish color with some red tints to it. An off-white head forms on the pour and recedes to a thin ring. Mild lace.

S: Fresh squeezed strawberry with a nice oaky profile to it. There is a light spice from the rhubarb. A little stemmy and pithy as well.

T: Same as the nose. Lots of freshy strawberry juice with a little sweetness and tartness to it all at the same time. Light oaky profile with some malty breadiness that provides even more sweetness, but in a different way. Nicely cuts the juiciness and fruitiness from strawberry. Light touches of spiced rhubarb.

M: Extremely drinkable. Light bodied with a fruity and sweet finish. Light and airy mouthfeel.

O: As with all New Glarus fruit beers this one is dangerously drinkable as it borders on a nice fruity juice. Nice balance of fruitiness and sweetness. Extremely fresh and juicy. Would enjoy again. (957 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a murky, crimson-amber color with a minimal head that quickly settled to a thin film. Not much for lacing is left down the glass.

One of the most aromatic beers I have had in quite some time. I can smell the strawberry from across the room. Sort of the strawberry schnapps aroma I remember from being a teenager. If I really dig my nose into the glass there is a sharp fruitiness that comes from the rhubarb.

Has a very sharp twang without being very acidic. The strawberry and rhubarb, not surprising many in the upper Midwest, is an excellent combination. Good strawberry flavor. Not really surprised that New Glarus was able to capture the essence of strawberry/rhubarb crisp in a bottle. New Glarus are leaps and bounds above everyone else when it comes to fruit beers.

Light body and feels the same as their other excellent fruit beers. I think this one could be a little undercarbonated however. Not much of a complaint though.

I am not the biggest strawberry/rhubarb fan, but this is an astonishing beer. I think they have done the best of the rhubarb beer attempts. (1,083 characters)

Strawberry Rhubarb from New Glarus Brewing Company