Strawberry Rhubarb - New Glarus Brewing Company

Strawberry RhubarbStrawberry Rhubarb

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Ri0 on 07-20-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Strawberry Rhubarb Alström Bros
1.25/5  rDev -70.9%

2.5/5  rDev -41.9%

3.01/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Bottle from an over the border trip while staying in MN for the holidays. Part of a 2 bottle gift-pack with some branded flutes.

A - Hazy reddish-orange with a thin head. light lacing on the glass as it empties.

S - Hints at a bit of tartness, but overpowering strawberry and rhubarb.

T - Nicely tart rhubarb for a split second, then your taste buds are knocked out with sweet strawberry that lingers long after the sip. I was hoping for a bit of wild yeast funk, but it is either non-existent or completely hidden by the fruit. More like a fruit smoothie than a beer. I know this is blasphemy to some, but 3/4 of the way through my glass, "wine cooler" comes to mind, albeit one with real fruit flavoring.

M - Syrupy and slick.

O - Having had this a few weeks after Serendipity, I just don't get these New Glarus "sours." The BA ratings are awesome, but to me, they are just too sweet. Lambics and sour styles are among my favorite beers, but I just can't get past the incredibly overpowering sweet strawberry taste on the finish. It isn't bad, I just am having a hard time thinking of when I would want it again. It's more like candy, a dessert, or a beer I bring out when a bunch of people are over and I want to share something interesting from the cellar that I don't really care for but think others will. I can appreciate why people like New Glarus fruit brews, but half a glass is more than enough for me.

I am glad I got to try this, but give me the nice, tart bite and general funkiness of a good Belgian fruit lambic over this any day. Maybe some age would help lessen the strawberry taste and let some of the tart shine through more.

3.13/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured into a New Glarus Pint glass

A) Ruby red, clear, no color on sides of class, two finger head that stays

S) Fruit juice

T) tasted upfront like a strawberry fruit roll up and tartness at the back of the mouth

M) Left the mouth dry, but very smooth beer.

O) Well, i am not trying to knock this beer. Not Dan's best fruit beer or "sour" I don't know if any Brett was used tasted like it. Overall, try it I enjoy Serendipity more than this one.

3.25/5  rDev -24.4%

The basic gist I got from this one was "strawberry fruit roll-up". Very sweet, with a heavy body, although it does have a surprisingly dry finish. Fruit rollups were a treasured luxury of my childhood, so the ultrasweet experience is not without its merits. I'm not sure what rhubarb tastes like, aside from my mother subjecting me to unpleasant prickly sensations from her garden as an infant, and warning me not to eat the leaves. I left rhubarb alone after that. All I know is a 12oz pour of this is a study in strawberry, and by the end I was schooled. My wife drank about 3oz, declared she was "over it", and poured her share into my glass.
I'd like this a lot more if I could glean something other than strawberry from uncapping to finish. It's just a strawberry sugar bomb that's not unpleasant, just not suited for 750ml quantities.

3.26/5  rDev -24.2%

Wine glass.

A: Pours an opaque apple cider color with a modest cola like tan head which fizzles out promptly. Decent enough retention.

S: Strong strawberry and rhubarb flavors waft several inches out from the glass. Really fresh, natural smelling strawberry like frozen fruit pops with some other red fruit like cherry.

T: Similar, almost like drinking a puréed strawberry smoothie. Lots of residual sweetness, a little bark, and only a pinch of tartness which doesn't offset the sugar.

M: Thick like a purée with medium-light carbonation that is engulfed by the body.

O: Just not my cup of tea. The Serendipity is my fave of the series, this is by far the sweetest and least drinkable. Almost a caricature of a beer

Strawberry Rhubarb from New Glarus Brewing Company