Strawberry Rhubarb - New Glarus Brewing Company

Strawberry RhubarbStrawberry Rhubarb

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Ri0 on 07-20-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Strawberry Rhubarb Alström Bros

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured a clearish rusty-red color with a fizzy off-white head that nearly completely disappeared, some tiny carbonation bubbles blipping from the bottom of the glass; no real lacing to speak of. Wafts of strawberry from the glass before I even held it to my nose. Unlike other NG fruit beers I've had, this one came off really strong and really artificial, like those little strawberry hard candies. The taste was similar, very sweet, loads of strawberry, with any rhubarb tartness being incidental and/or overwhelmed by the candy sweetness of the strawberry. Artificial and nearly medicinal, yet still strangely alluring. Body was medium, mouthfeel was syrupy and cloying. I didn't hate this, it had its charm, but it was just way to one-sided, sweet, fake-tasting for me to want more than a sample at a time.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours clouded/hazed cider-colored with a bubbly head. Plenty of spotted lacing sticks.

The smell is of musty, sour strawberry and rhubarb.

The taste is of sweet strawberry with just enough rhubarb to give it a bitter balance. Some malt sweetness adds just a caramel. It has tart finish.

Smooth. Carbonation level fits this brew well.

It is another well-made fruit beer from this brewery! It tastes like the fruits that it is brewed with. Nice sweettart character.

4.19/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1 pint 9 fl oz green glass (come on, New Glarus!) bottle with waxed-over branded iconic green-and-brass pressure cap and stylish label art acquired in a trade with the very gracious Duff27 (thanks again!) and served into Cantillon stemware in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are sky high given the brewery. Reviewed as a fruit beer. No ABV is listed on the bottle.

Served cold, straight from me fridge, and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a one-finger wide head of restrained off-white colour. Decent creaminess and thickness. Head retention is above average - about 3-4 minutes. Decent even consistent lacing clings to the sides of the glass when I tilt it.

Body colour is a murky copper-tan; sort of hard to place. It's an odd duck. Certainly nontransparent. Translucent. No yeast particles are visible. Somewhat dull.

Overall, it's atypical of the norm, but that's to be expected given the brewery. I'm optimistic, but admittedly the appearance won't be winning any awards. There are no obvious flaws.

Sm: Fresh strawberries; not strawberry preserves, not strawberry extract, not syrup - actual strawberries. Fruity and evocative without ever feeling artificial. I hope the head brewer for Lost Coast is taking notes. Clean barley, brown malts, munich malts. The malts are seamlessly layered and allow the strawberry to dominate elegantly. A detect a touch of tart fruit and wild yeast - hard to determine which yeast; it's certainly not the usual obvious lactobacillus character of most American wild ales. Teasing and inviting. I can't quite recall the scent of rhubarb, but there's certainly a vegetable note of some sort in there; I wouldn't have noticed it explicitly if I tried the beer blind. Overall, it comes down slightly on the sweeter side. Pie filling comes to mind, but it doesn't have the acetic pie crust notes of a beer like, say, Rodenbach. It definitely evokes jam or jelly. It's also quite cidery, which works well here.

No hop profile or alcohol presence is noticeable.

A clean aroma of moderate strength. I can't wait to try it.

T: Oh, wow. Lovely jam/jelly/preserve notes for both strawberry and rhubarb, with delightful pie filling notes and the perfect amount of sweetness, which is itself complemented beautifully by an exquisite tartness. The malt layering is seamless; I can hardly guess which malts were used - clean barley, Belgian pale, Belgian brown? I love how the flavour profile develops, blossoming into the rewarding tartness on the climax. I love the fresh strawberry paired with the vegetable (rhubarb I guess). Lightly acetic. Ripe. A biteen cidery. Light bread crust. Juicy succulent fruit - not just strawberry but subtle cherry and apple as well. The kiss of sourness is so well hidden by the tartness that even opponents of sour beers would likely enjoy this one. Hop presence is near imperceptible; what little I can guess at is just complementary fruity hop character. I can't identify the wild yeast used; I imagine lactobacillus but with how refined and subtle the sourness is here, it could well have lambic yeast as well for all I know.

It's like Jesus is making preserves in my mouth. It's clean and teasing; just a very satisfying taste overall. Quite subtle and complex for its modest 4% ABV. Balance is incredible; this is a gestalt beer with flawless cohesion and superb execution.

Incredible depth of flavour for a 4% fruit beer. High duration of flavour, with a pleasant lingering aftertaste that makes you crave the next sip. Above average intensity of flavour.

Hard to pick a highlight in the flavour profile; I guess the jam notes are what really do it for me, but the tartness is lovely too.

No alcohol is in any way perceptible.

As it warms, I pick up some honey and nectary notes on the open.

Mf: Soft, supple, smooth, wet, quenching, and refreshing. Perfect body and thickness. Fantastic presence on the palate; it's a very welcoming approachable beer. Carbonation is perfect. This'll induce some lip-smacking. Definitely feels carefully custom-tailored to the flavour profile; there's an undoubtable marriage of texture to taste. Incredible execution across the board.

Not oily, harsh, boozy, hot, gushed, or astringent.

Dr: Boy am I glad I greedily kept this bottle for myself. I'll kill the entire bottle with ease, and I'll enjoy every drop of it. Yet another insanely drinkable and endlessly enjoyable fruit beer from New Glarus. I'd recommend this to friends and trading partners, and I'm glad as hell Duff27 included a bottle in my last box. I'd stock up on this stuff if I had the ability to; $10 or so is more than fair for the quality. I could see myself drinking it everyday in the summertime; it's a damn fine brew - and a refreshing one. One of the best beers I've had in a long time.

A-

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

750ml poured into a snifter. The brew appears a clouded murky copper to dirty brown color with white bubbles resting atop. They fade relatively quick but a swirl revives. This brew looks like dirty water.

The smell is pretty darn intense like all NG fruit offerings are. The nose is filled with a complete essence of strawberry jam leaving little to no room for anything else. Candied strawberries coupled with fresh cut strawberries...and then more strawberry.

The taste is jammy and sweet with strawberry jam leading the way so much so that the residual sugar seemingly has a bite to the back of the throat. Then the tartness of the rhubarb comes into focus with a little earthy hop touch to round things out.

This is a medium bodied brew with a light amount of carbonation. It falls in line with all the other New Glarus fruit offerings, plenty of fruit and sticky sugars. Yet somehow balanced and not too over the top. I could never see myself drinking more than a half glass of this but it certainly is my wife's jam and she can rock this back like its nothing.

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The beer appears mildly hazy and a grapefruit pinkish color. The aroma is classic New Glarus. Sweet and fresh fruit abounds. Teeming with strawberry and rhubarb, akin to a homemade pie. Just delicious. Quite possibly the best beer I have had from this brewery. As with other beers of this ilk, I prefer to enjoy in small quantities, as the sweetness can become cloying. Overall, this was fantastic.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%