Kneitinger Edel-Pils - Brauerei Johann Kneitinger

Kneitinger Edel-PilsKneitinger Edel-Pils

Brauerei Johann Kneitinger visit their website

German Pilsener |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: stcules on 07-24-2005)
stcules

Italy

2.5/5  rDev -34%

Straw colored yellow, very clean. Beautiful head, but after some while, some big bubbles appear.
The smell is a light and delicate hop, almost balsamic.
Maybe some butter. And then the malt, not particularly pleasant.
Nothing remarkable in the taste, but at least, you can feel some hop.
Honest german pilsener, average maltiness. Standard body.
Average dryness in the aftertaste. Quite drinkable.

07-24-2005 09:11:43 | More by stcules
HappyHourHero

Indiana

3.53/5  rDev -6.9%

Pale straw colored beers is full of carbonation. Tall frothy off-white head pops apart from within. Faint aroma of noble hops and lightly sweet Pilsner malt. The body is crisp and the carbonation gives the beer a fizzy mouthfeel. The flavor is unremarkable. A dash of flowers, some herbal hops, and slightly stale pale malt sweetness. I wouldn't say it's an overly stale flavor, and the beer isn't too bad, but I'm sure you could do better.

03-10-2007 18:41:37 | More by HappyHourHero
Bierman9

New Hampshire

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

My daughter and I each had a 0.5l glass (2.70EU) of this at the Kneitinger Gäststätte in Regensburg on 28Sep07.

My stange came filled with a clear, light golden liquid, with sporadic carbo within. Head was a bit off-white, quite creamy and smooth, with good stick left behind. Nose was herbal and grassy, with a bit of bready malt. On the light side, in general, though. Good mouthfeel, with a medium body combining with a fairly smooth, prickle-free sensation on the tongue.

Taste has some bread, too, leading into some flavors which are very grassy, hay-like and earthy. Hops also have a bit of a sharp bite, with a bitter and dry finish. Decent, middle of the road bier.

Prosit!!

overall: 3.65
appearance: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 3.5

10-07-2007 15:19:12 | More by Bierman9
UGADawgGuy

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

My non-beer-expert parents sought out Andechser Weissbier during a tour of Bavaria, but the couple of beer stores they visited apparently didn't carry that legendary hefeweizen. In lieu of that beer, an employee at one of those stores suggested that I might like this and a Munich dunkel lager...strange suggestions for someone specifically looking for a good hefeweizen. At any rate...

Appearance: This beer pours a very pale, nondescript, crystal-clear yellow with a bright white head that dissipates after only a few seconds. In my tall pilsner glass, I can see moderate carbonation, sustaining a filmy cap throughout drinking. In my experience, this looks right for the style -- it certainly appears to be the visual model for many an inferior American adjunct "pilsner."

Smell: Meh. Light, bordering on weak. To me, the predominant smell is a faintly malty sweetness, punctuated by an equally faint whiff of mild, floral/herbal hops. Now, I'm no hophead, so the relatively muted hops presence in the aroma isn't a bad thing, but I kind of wish this beer smelled more like SOMETHING. More than anything, this smells like lightly malted water.

Taste: Okay, this stuff is all right. I've had Victory Prima Pils and other American (i.e., hops-first) interpretations of this style, and this is my first legitimate German pilsner. Now I get it. As I had hoped, the hops aren't nearly as prominent here as they are in the likes of Prima Pils, and the quality of the water and malt really take center stage. The flavor matches -- and maybe surpasses -- this beer's appearance, which is to say that it's light, mild, and quite refreshing. It's lightly sweet, with just enough "juicy" malt character and floral hops to make it interesting. This is just right for a 95-degree summer day like today.

Mouthfeel: A perfect vehicle for the flavors discussed above. It's more carbonated than I expected, based on its appearance, which enhances the refreshment factor. A very cold serving temperature doesn't hurt, either.

Overall: No complaints here. I think this is a pretty decent introduction to true German pilsners, and I'll be interested in trying more of them moving forward. It's certainly not my favorite style, but as noted above, it'll do nicely on a hot day.

08-09-2011 02:44:14 | More by UGADawgGuy

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

04-09-2014 22:56:11 | More by mjtierney2
boddhitree

4.86/5  rDev +28.2%

Since I rarely drink Pils or have found a Pils I like drinking other than on hot, sweaty days, this may or may not be my cup of tea, eh?

The color is typical Pils, a crystal clear golden color with some yellow tints, which is topped by a snow-white head of foam. The aroma is pure Pilsen malts and some strong Noble hops, exactly what a Pils should smell like. The initial flavor at first is hoppy, bitter in a Hallertauer hop way (they mention Hallertauer on their website), but mixed in is lots of Pils malts and some light caramel malts, for I'm getting lots of caramel flavors in the aftertaste. It's got a thick mouthfeel, very nice and not weak at all, going over the tongue like a slow wave lapping on the beach. You can tell they use good ingredients here, and everything fits well together. It's got a decent bitterness kick on all sides of the tongue but also it still has a powerful caramel aftertaste. If I swallow it quickly and try to bypass the aftertaste, I can still get a little of the caramel notes, but it then tastes more like a normal Pils, albeit a herbe, Noble hop bitterness. I'm impressed, and really, I would buy this beer if I found it on my shelves. (And yes, I would drink it on a boat, and I would drink it with a goat. I would drink it here or there, say, I drink it anywhere!) What impresses me is the combo of Pils malts, a strong bitterness and a very nice caramel maltiness, all in one beer. Nice! My faith in the Pils style has been restored. I could drink this süffige Bier all day.

04-19-2013 20:42:06 | More by boddhitree
Kneitinger Edel-Pils from Brauerei Johann Kneitinger
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.