Portsmouth Bluebeery - Portsmouth Brewery

Portsmouth Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

An American phenomena! Incorporating 240 pounds of Maine blueberries into a unique medium-bodied ale.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 07-16-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by sethmeister:
3.78/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a cloudy red with some particulates and a tight offwhite head which doesnt hold long but leaves some soapy lace on the glass.

Scent is wild blueberries, bread, honey, graham cracker.

Taste is blueberries of course. Natural tasting and not overpowering. Lightly sweet with the wonderful dry breadcrust finish I often notice in Portsmouth's beers. Very light, crisp, clean hop bitterness lingers on the tongue. Saaz or noble hops?

Lightly creamy mouthfeel with surprisingly light carbonation.

Very easy to drink.

Not my favorite among Portsmouth's offerings (fruit/veg beers are not really my thing) but a well crafted and delicious ale all the same.

sethmeister, Aug 27, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +11%

Hands down, my wife's favorite beer; nothing else comes close. This was her first Brewery visit back in 2008 and thank god she loved it.
We've done about a dozen brewerys since. My rating is done through her eyes.

For me, this brew was just your average pilsner but I like my brew hopped. They brewed a stonger blueberry this year but never got up there to try it and now they are out, damn.

ExtraStout, Sep 27, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -30.8%

Hands down, my wife's favorite beer; nothing else comes close. Picked up a growler there last week, and my wife said she couldn't drink it all, so I volunteered. My disclaimer is that I don't really like fruit beers. That being said, this is a poor beer. It looked great: a beautiful red/purple with a small head. The brewery threw some bluberries in the growler, and there they were. The aroma was mild, sweet. Some blueberry, but I wondered if that was the beer or the fruit. Once I tasted it, I realized it was the fruit, because the taste wasn't there! Something sweet, but that was it. Very thin, not enjoyable. Drink at your own risk.

lordofthewiens, Aug 23, 2006
3.6/5  rDev +1.7%

Portsmouth Brewery Blueberry Ale
Poured into a wine glass, thanks to Miamilice for the trade.
A: Pours a darker, reddish/brown color reminiscent of autumn. Small head that fades.
S: Slight Apple notes with blueberry coming in on the end.
T: Dry almost Cideresk. Light flavor with some blueberry notes. Lots of carbonation.
M: Water, bland.
O:Good, not great. Smell and taste are good but it falls apart on the mouthful.

codysjb, Oct 07, 2012

RobDB, Jan 03, 2014
3.08/5  rDev -13%

A) Very thin head. Then settles to nearly no head at all. Amber color. Hazy. Floating blueberries.
S) Notes of blueberry but nothing else showing up. Not very aromatic.
T) Light blueberry notes. Some malty sweetness. A bit of dry grainy-ness.
M) Medium bodied. Smooth. Very light carbonation.
D) Just alright for a summer-ish blueberry. Expected a little more blueberry.

u2carew, Jul 08, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +5.9%

jaydoc, Dec 14, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured into standard shaker pint glass. Color was slightly purpley bluey with a very thin head with a small hint of blue. The head dissipated very quickly but left some interesting spiderwebs/swirls on the top. Smell was slightly sweet, predominantly blueberry muffins with a touch of cream. Taste was of blueberries with a bit of heavy cream mixed in. Felt very thin and watery in the mouth, no carbonation at all. Very easy to drink, went down nicely while sitting eating on the deck in late August.

mountdew1, Aug 24, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -17.2%

This was not what I expected. I have drank other blueberry beers and this one was alright as a beer but wasn't very blueberry like. It was basically an ale with a touch of sweetness added.

Appearaance- A little better than average but with some darkness.

Smell- Typical ale aroma hoppy and a little sweet.

Mouthfeel- Nothing special but not that bad either.

Drinkability- Not bad as ales go but just doesn't do it for me.

MTNboy, Dec 26, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

This was a really nice blueberry beer that was served on tap which my wife and I tried 08-19-2010 at the brewery. I have read a couple of the reviews for this but mostly for the bottle version. This is great on tap they even add a couple of blueberrys on the top of the pour (I know fruit in beer). It really adds to this nice refreshing beer. I recommed to anyone this as is crisp and refreshing.

The beer has a nice aroma and the taste is above average the mouth feel is good but rated the drinkability high as really enjoyed drinking this one and would have again.

Casey10, Aug 21, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +1.7%

I got this one awhile back in a BIF from joepais. I've made it a goal to start drinking some of the beers that have been around for awhile, so here we go.

Served chilled in my british pint.

A: This one foamed up on me quickly, but I noticed in-time to avoid an overflow. Pours light copper with nice clarity. Foamy light pint head which recedes quickly. No lacing.

S: Very nice blueberry aroma. Some maltiness in there too, but the blueberries smell really nice and dominate the nose.

T: Tart blueberries. Sweet malts balance out the tartness from the blueberries.

M: Mouthfeel is nice. Very light and refreshing, proper carbonation. Finishes dry.

D: Very drinkable. I'd love to try this one again when the weather is nicer, as I think it would be a very refreshing summer brew.

Packforever1976, Mar 31, 2009

phingdong, Feb 01, 2012
3.63/5  rDev +2.5%

22oz bottle purchased at the brewery last weekend. Poured into a Portsmouth tulip.

A - Pours a reddish, purpleish blueberry hued amber color. There is some light haze and a finger of white foam that dies quickly to a thick collar. Streams of bubbles constantly rise from the bottom of the glass.

S - Fruity although not distinctly blueberry in aroma. Some floral and earthy hop aromas over the top of some light bready malt. A bit of a red wine like aroma to round things out...also gives an impression of alcohol, although the level is low enough that this shouldn't truly be the case.

T - Grainy malt at the base, dry and cereally - almost Cheerios-like. This is surrounded by some earthy and metallic flavors in the middle with some berrylike fruitiness, that is still difficult to precisely identify as blueberry. A light sweetness and some spices - cinnamon maybe. Blueberry is easier to identify as the beer warms up a bit, and the flavor almost becomes blueberry pie like as the malt and fruit combine together much more nicely than when chilled down more.

M - Medium bodied with a strong carbonation that is fizzy. The malt base lingers into the aftertaste nicely as does the blueberry.

D - Easy drinking beer. Good combination of flavors that work well together. I think I'd like this to have a bit lighter base to it, or maybe get a touch of lemon in here to bring out the blueberry a bit more in the flavor. Overall, very enjoyable summer seasonal.

portia99, Aug 31, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks to Joepais for this brew...sent as part of the Bluegrass BIF.

This one pours an interesting pale purple/amber color. Very different. White head with some pink hues forms very quickly. Fades almost as fast while making a ton of noise. I don't think I have ever had such an effervescent sounding beer before.

This has some age on it and I'm guessing that's why the aroma is faint. I pick up some grains and some blueberries. Slightly sweet with a hint of tartness to it. Blueberry scent becomes stronger as it warms.

The flavor shows a bit more blueberry than the smell does. Still, the graininess seems to overpower the berries. I bet this one was really tasty when it was fresher.

The mouthfeel is almost champagne like. Tons of prickly bubbles dance on the tongue. Slightly drying aftertaste. Interesting brew, to say the least. Thanks Joe!

Imstillthegman, Feb 19, 2009

mklisz, Jul 14, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -29.4%

oldp0rt, Jul 31, 2013
4.28/5  rDev +20.9%

Had this on tap first at the brewery. They serve it with blueberries floating in the glass. Liked it enough to pick up a bottle and check out at home.

Poured into the Portsmouth Brewery snifter, which by the way is one of the most voluminous snifters I have seen to date. Pours a blood orange body with nice head that dies like it's its business. Smells lightly malted and a little sour. I remember there being more blueberry presence, but even after cleaning my nose a few times (I don't even have a cold), I can only faintly detect it. That's pretty normal for blueberry beers.

Tastes... mmm. Sweet. Mellow-malty and light but sharp carbonated. Bouquet of blueberries with each mouthful. It tastes very natural for an ale, and is extremely drinkable. No discernable after-hop presence, which might have overwhelmed the blueberry taste, but there is just a touch of bitterness to keep me interested. Smooth possibly due to sweetness and light-bodied. Easy to finish off a bottle.

Overall, good for a blueberry beer. I'd pick this one up again.

abuliarose, Sep 16, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -29.9%

This came out to me looking fantastic... I couldn't wait. It was a hazy medium amber with faint purple highlights. One finger white cap and they had 3-4 big blueberries floating in the top. Expectations were high. Aroma was kind of musty, lightly malty, and I couldn't detect any blueberries or any fruit in the nose. Flavor was a little sweet, earthy, biscuit, a little sour wheat, and very mild bitterness. Where's the blueberries?? Mouthfeel was medium carbonation, a little watery, and left an odd aftertaste. Anyway, not my favorite from Portsmouth brewery.

jabocu, Jul 11, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Pilsener glass. Thanks to my Dad for bringing this one back from the brewery.

A: A pretty crystal clear, purplish-toned amber color. Aggressive pour leads to a 1 finger fizzy white head that disappears quickly. Leaves no lacing.

S: Decent blueberry aroma with some bready malt and a faint touch of hops. Not overpowering, nor is it bad.

T: Very nice, yet slight blueberry taste mixed with some yeasty funk and slight caramel touch from the malt.

M: Light body, ample carbonation. No bitterness, not overly sweet either.

O: Overall a nice, non-offensive blueberry beer. Would definitely have more if Portsmouth chose to distribute :).

suspect, Sep 12, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +13.8%

I drank two of these today nothing else at the brewery. It arrived in my Imperial pint club glass with a hand full of big blueberries bouncing up and down. The body color on this was fantastic, bright and clear blueberry juice color toped of with a small off white head

Smells like fresh blueberries and being a Mainer I think I can say that with authority. Along with 120 pounds of the berries into 7 bbl of beer that is what I'd expect

Now for the taste I had one of these after drinking a pint of DIPA yesterday and I thought it might be a bit sweeter than the last batch (should have realized anything after a 100 IBU beer would be sweet)
Tod even brought up the brew sheet to prove it was the same.
Today it was a different story that is all I drank so I will say it has the typical sweet blueberry flavor. I know some is from the malts. In the end there is a slight bitterness as well not from the hops but from the blueberries themselves IMHO

The brew drinks light and crisp in the mouthfeel. Good carbonation I watched the blueberries bounce up and down for a while.

I had two of these today and I would have had a third but at 5% and it being a nice day. The downtown crawling was with Portsmouth finest I settled on two. The paper on the bar in front of me had an article how the upped the DWI patrols.
A good blueberry beer one of the best I have had so far. I even got my wife to drink it and she thought it was better than Kate

joepais, Jul 12, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a purplish-amber, topped with a one finger off white head and filled with floating blueberries. Leaves partial webs of lacing.
Blueberry and grain aroma with a floral note.
Blueberry, grain, wheat taste with a bit of tannins and grape skin.
Light to medium bodied, pretty typical blueberry beer - a lot of blueberry and not much beer.

mschofield, Oct 01, 2004

ajcormier, Oct 31, 2013

Lawnboy33, Nov 15, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +1.1%

Thanks to Chris for the extra!

The beer pours a nice dark burgundy color, hints of ruby with touches of amber when held to the light, looks like blueberry juice for sure, a light slightly off white head rises to the top of the glass, almost a finger high but recedes almost immediately leaving a touch of lace behind. The aroma is of light tart blueberry but overwhelming rich grainy malt character with a touch of sweetness behind it. It's quite one dimensional, which isn't necessarily a bad thing when the focus is showcasing blueberry, but the fruit character is quite weak in reality and showcases more malt than I'd like, not the most inviting of beers on the nose. The flavor is a bit better, tart juicy blueberry greets the tongue nicely and lingers somewhat well, again caramel malt sneaks out and really dominates until the finish which has some nice blueberry skin flavors as it goes down. The body is very crisp and lively, a bit too carbonated for me, overly prickly in the mouth and a bit rough as it goes down.

Verdict: Not a bad fruit beer but disappointing given my love of blueberries. The fruit never really shines here as the richer malts take control but all in all it was a pleasant beer to sip on.

kevanb, Dec 14, 2012
3.55/5  rDev +0.3%

Medium amber with a little purple hue. No head. No lace.

Blueberry, right? Not in the nose on this. Toasted malt, some caramel maybe.

This one has just a kiss of fruit. Mostly toasted malt, some caramel, a little burnt sugar bitterness. Lightly bitter and malty in the finish.

Medium bodied, ok carbonation.

Overall, some blueberry beers are overdone, some are underdone. This one needs more fruit. The rest of the beer was good, but this one just misses for me.

OtherShoe2, Sep 23, 2012