Portsmouth Wheat Wine - Portsmouth Brewery

Portsmouth Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Wheatwine |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-08-2004

A toffee-like flavor predominates this bold & assertive wheat ale.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Portsmouth Wheat Wine Alström Bros
2.25/5  rDev -43.3%

A- Low development of froth. Takes a heavy flow to get anything. What does prevail above the deep ruby body is short lived, frothy, juice like. Mild lacing, if you wish to call it that. Nothing too spectacular.

S- Ugh.. what is that? Oh... Oh I think. Diacetyl? Yea, that buttered popcorn aroma. Least there is a biscuit malt to back this up so its not just buttery, lightly sulfured, apple, and popcorn aroma.

T- Not as bad. Its a caramel apple and popcorn mix. Like reaching into a brown bag and hoping you pull out a handful of trail mix that isn't going to make you vomit. Its got popcorn throughout it. It lasts into the finish leaving you with a lingering popcorn but mostly rancid butter flavor. Sometimes its sweet in the middle that is bright in caramel and brown sugar, but overall... not so great for me.

M- Full bodied, light carbonation giving a gentle crispness in the center of the flavors. Light creaminess, lingering flavors do not benefit this beverage.

Its an older beer. Not my favorite. Not even sure on the style. An American amber? Not sure at all what this is.

Wheat wine. Interesting. With all the diacetyl, I don't get much wheat at all. I can see where they are coming from with the high alcohol and sweetness of a wheat wine though. Interesting! (1,278 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -23.7%

Thanks to Joe for sending me this beer awhile back in the 666 BIF.

A: The pour is a deep golden-copper color with a finger's worth of off-white head.

S: A slight sour fruit note to the nose along with caramel,brown sugar, and grapefruits. Also some dark fruit notes and a touch of alcohol make their way into the aroma.

T: The sourness is much more pronounced in terms of the flavor. I think an accurate descriptor would be caramel covered sour apples. There is some brown sugar and a light fruity character to the beer as well, but it's really overwhelmed by the sourness.

M: The body is medium to full with a slightly sugary/grainy feel on the tongue and a lively carbonation.

D: The sourness kept this from being cloying, but it wasn't exactly what I was expecting or hoping for. (787 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -22.4%

On tap at the source. Pours a slightly cloudy deep reddish brown color with a huge cool whip looking head that takes forever to recede to a drinkable level. Smell is sweet with malts. Sugar coated dark fruits, tangerines, some brown sugar and a fair amount of ethanol and buttered popcorn. Taste is sweet with a lot of sugary fruits. Mildly spicy with a hint of tart and some alcohol. Medium to thick body, light level of carbonation and a sweet almost syrupy mouthfeel. I am not to impressed with this batch. It’s a bit like an old ale in its sweetness but a bit rough with alcohol and diacetyl. I have had this beer before and enjoyed it quite a bit, but I remember it being a hell of a lot hoppier.

On tap at the source 4/28/13 comes to the table in a snifter a slightly cloudy reddish brown with a good sized beige head. Smells of caramelized dark sugars, a bit of spice, some earth, light sweet citrus fruit, oranges and tangerines come to mind. The flavor is sweet and malty with lots of dark sugars and light fruits. Thick body with a light level of carbonation and a sweet almost syrupy mouthfeel. This beer is miles ahead of the last time I had it. My score reflects this tasting. (1,192 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -12.8%

Did an '09 and '10, '10 was better.

A - Orangish beer, had a small white head, not much else.

S - Just never been a huge fan of this style. Too light and fruity for me, always smell a bit overripe or rotten. Has some fruit, honey, little bit of citrus.

T - Taste is fruity, some orange and banana and a bit of spice. It has the wheat whine sweetness that I don't care for, but it's not horrible.

M - Smooth with medium carbonation.

O - I guess it's not bad, but I have yet to have a beer of this style that blows me away. A bit more drinkable than many, but not something I'd ever try to find again. (605 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

Very nice brown, pretty cloudy with a thin head and some lace. The smell is of blueberries a bit of vanilla and some heavier alcohols propanol for example. The taste is interesting, a bit sour almost more like a wild ale than a sweet wheat wine. The malt character is somewhat restrained I do notice a fair amount of caramel malt but it is pretty one dimensional and a bit syrupy. Bitterness seems to be limited only to the sourness and not really much from hops. The mouthfeel is pretty clean it does finish quite tingly and a little puckering. I'm not sure what is going on with this one. Perhaps I've got a bad bottle because it doesn't seem to match what others have said in their reviews. It is different and still enjoyable but not my favorite. Glad to get the chance to try it all the same. (797 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -10.3%

Served in a clean 12oz glass on a cool,rainy Saturday afternoon in Portsmouth.
Missed this one at the EBF,and was looking forward to it.
I was also nicely informed that they were selling growlers of it.
Light gold in color with a slight chill haze,cold from the tap.
Medium carbonation with a thin head that dissapated quickly.
Aroma had alcohol,some sweetness,light fruit,and no off characteristics,pretty clean,very minimal hop character.
Flavor was quite clean also,with warming alcohol and some slightly tart fruitiness,maybe some spiceyness from very light hopping.
Body was thin and crisp.
Finish was slightly warm and quick.
I was somewhat dissapointed with this beer.
I'm a huge fan of Barleywines and wheat beers,and this beer left me unsatisfied on both fronts.
More hops,please.Maybe a german yeast strain also or just leaving it unfiltered would have given this beer some much needed character.
This beer would be very good on a summer's eve alongside one last piece of apple pie with vanilla ice cream.
Kind of like Weizenheimers bigger brother.
I'd like to try this out of an wooden cask also,it would be similar to an oakey Chardonnay. (1,164 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -9.8%

Big thanks to the ratebeer (yes and BA too) Boise crew for this bomber. It pours sort of ruby with copper hues and white head. The aroma has fruity esters mixing with wheat as well as a wine barrel like sense to it. barrel aged? The taste confirms as modestly tart and sour wine barrel notes start things off. Behind these notes are some sweet wheat malts mixing with tart tangerine like citrus hops and spicy hops. Interesting. It seems somewhat like Alesmith’s 2008 Decadence. I don’t know the vintage of the current bottle. It’s pretty good. (550 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Believe it or not I had not tried this one before, I could have swore I did but apparently no. One of the random bottles I pulled from the fridge last night, served cold in a snifter, this one was consumed on 05/16/2010.

Nice pour, a very odd amber color, almost like apple juice with a light cloudiness to it. Small, very quickly fading head that left really no lacing at all. Strange.

First aroma is light, lots of fruit here, figs, grapes, touches of pears as well. Sweet with an almost candy like aroma at times that comes across nice at first but gets to be a little much after a while, still though decent and well recieved. First sip is slick, with an almost syrup like feel, just not carbonated enough for me, but thats the style, what can you do. Bready notes mix with loads of fruit and touches of earthy hop notes. Lots of bread and figs, pears especially in the finish are also very prevelant. Light boozy notes is covered quite well and one thing I can say is this did not drink like 11 percent.

Overall a very nice, solid beer. Not really my prefered cup of tea, but very solid none the less. (1,110 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -8.3%

Had from the tap, presented to me in the 10oz. mini-pint glass. The beer was a dark golden bronze with a faint sliver of barely-there white head. No outright signs of carbonation but some lacing throught the sample.

The nose was of toffee and caramel with a healthy hop and darker fruit smell as well. A warming alcohol was also present.

The taste was dominated by a strong alcoholic and malty backbone. Much softer fruit and caramel flavors hit the palate to produce a well balanced and warming beer.

Medium body with a good degree of carbonation and a nice not-so-sublte warming from the alc.

Drinkable in moderation and a good night-cap beer. Very warming although not especially high in alc. A good balance and a good beer. (739 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -7.8%

Originally reviewed May 29, 2005. On tap at the brewpub. Crystal clear ruby brown pour, with a thin light tan head. Light sweet cherries aroma. Very fruit with a light caramel tone. Some definate floral tones, but they’re coming from a hop I’m not familiar with. It’s more potpourri than hop. Distinctive strawberry and blackberry flavors. Maybe a hint of ginger. Geez this thing is deep. Light sweet maltedness and very well balanced. (438 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -7.3%

Bomber purchased at the brewery...into the Portsmouth snifter, of course...

Pours off a typical 2/3 finger ginger head (typical for this snifter) and tops a bourbon/dunkel body that's a little cloudy but pronounced and robust on the first pour. A later pour reveals a more substantial head - a little over a finger. Staying power isn't huge. Looks a more clear version of bourbon now.

js there a little diacetyl? Spicy ginger/cinnamon but a milky, blunt, sour haze is engulfing this. I am rather concerned. After a while (and I mean an hour or so) it subsides, bringing out a little more of the dried fruits...dates and so forth, but that first whiff was tough. I'm sensing a few baked apples in there, too. I stopped this bottle up and let it sit at room temperature for several hours...
...now I'm still getting a little buttery diacetyl (or is it more of a toffee?), but the wheat electricity has shown up...finally! Hops are still a little grassy but they don't provide a huge impact - having this aged, it's expected.

Hmmm. There's a bit of an unnatural temperament to this at first. It's not wheat electricity - it's just a dull, mildly sour, almost glu-ish buttery off note...again, straight butter or toffee? There's a hint of the style but it's way in the back at first. Missing residual sweetness and booziness; this has the heft and maybe with warmth I realize that it's not infected, but it's not releasing the bountiful flavor profile I'd expect. Very mild, with your typical dried fruits and all that. Something's missing...
...as mentioned, I stopped this and let it sit at room temperature for several hours and opened it back up. It's better now - the wheat has shown up quite nicely. Carbonation works with it very well. The taste profile is more mild - very light yet husky dates. A little bit of booziness keeps it interesting. All is not lost. Still, would prefer more of an impact here.

Weight on the palate is about right - slight syrupy heft. A little spice lightens it up but the inherent nature of the style doesn't really make it a spritely pour, and the wheat electricity is rather dormant...
...after stopping and re-opening there's a little spring in its step that's quite decent. Finish cleans up.

I've never been disappointed with Portsmouth offerings...and I really mean never...but this one is a little off the mark. Not sure if there's a capping problem or an inherent flaw (or the toffee thing again), but something leaves this wanting quite a bit. Heft makes it tough to plunder through the whole bomber. Even after stopping this up with a wine stopper and re-opening, what I'm left with is a decent example for the style but not the excellence I'm used to from Portsmouth. For the weight class the flavor is a little too meek. Maybe there's not a capping/bottling issue, but the off-flavor, butter, toffee or butter toffee at least burned off after a while. Still, it's not too bad for mere mortals. As far as the pure question of "how well it drinks," it drinks pretty well after breathing for quite a while. (3,052 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -6.8%

Thanks again to JDV and pintsized

A-Cloudy yellowish amber if such a color exists. Little head
S-Diacetyl-Like butta'. Some malt flavor almost reminded me a buttered bread. Some light fruit flavor as warmed.
T-Alot like sweet buttery toffee. Some light peachy fruit and oak flavors were there as well, but the malt butter flavor dominated. Noticed the wheat flavor more as it warmed.
M-Creamy in the mouth. Nice.
D-Very interesting brew but too much butter flavor to make me reach for another one. (498 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -6.3%

Served on-tap at the brewpub with dinner on 11/19.

Poured a hazy copper color with a cummy head. Essentially flat appearing. Lots of lace at first but it dissolved completely after a little while. Nose was spicy and had some heat in it. Kind of nice because it was a bit chilly out. Flavor was pepeery at first followed by malty and and then some wheatiness. Alcohol has a quite apparent burn. Soft-ish body that hold up well as the beer warmed. Honestly, this beer reminded me more of a barleywine with a slightly more textorous body. (538 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -6.3%

22 oz (and 3 oz draught sample*)

{Review is based on bottle, with a few comparisons to draught sample}

Sampled: 3.16.05 (*3.7.05)

I originally tasted this in a 3 oz (FREE!) sample at the Portsmouth Brewery in Portsmouth, NH. One of my favorite brewpubs and lunch spots when the wife & I go to Portsmouth. Our trips there are usually centered around going to this place. I suggest the pulled pork sandwich and the BBQ chicken strips. They use a homemade sauce made with one of their fine brews. Old Brown Dog Ale if memory serves me correctly (if I'm wrong, someone please email me, so I can correct that!). After our meal, we popped over to the brewshop next door and I was psyched to find one 22 oz bomber of the Wheat Wine left in the fridge case. The sample was so good, I couldn't resist...

The bottle is a brown glass bomber with a plain paper bag style wrapper with the brewery logo over the beer name hand written with magic marker. All their beers come this way when you get a 22. A slow pour into a snifter produced a headless honey hued liquid. Lighter than actual honey, but darker than I remembered from the sample. Slight foam with a swirl, but dissipates quickly. Zero lacing, obviously.

The nose was malt-ridden sweetness. There are barleywine similarities that taper into a slight alcohol tinge.

A sip was a round maltiness. The middle of the swell brings a sweetness that slips back down again into a bitter finish as the sip cascades down your gullet. Alcohol heat warms the mouth and face. Server mentioned something in the range of 10/10.5%, and it sure felt that way, but not enough I'd report a change. More carbonated than it looks, leaves the tongue feeling tingly. A slight gluey flavor sat after each sip. Not sure what it was, and I also didn't get this on the sample at the pub. Something to do with bottling, perhaps.

The drinkability of this is pretty low. It's made to savor. And if this had been a better bottle, I'd probably have savored it longer and slower. That glueyness I mentioned disappointed me, but I know it isn't a specific characteristic, more an anomalistic flaw (BIG words). I'd get this again and HIGHLY suggest to others to try it *at the pub*, but I'd think twice about a bottle. Though, it seems the only way TO get a bottle is at the shop right NEXT to the pub, so you do the math…. (2,357 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a nice dark copper color with a very small head that doesn't last. Very clear. The smell is as excepted sweet and more sweet. Hints of flowers and something a bit citrusy. A touch of pepper in the background as well.

Wow! Is the first thing that I can think of when I first sip this beer. The taste is sooo much bigger than the smell and really doesn't do it justice. A bit syrupy thick in the mouth. The wheat is definitely present along with a ton of alcohol. The bittering at the end is wonderful.

I think this beer lacks a bit in the beginning and middle as nothing really comes out. The ending has the bitterness and stays with you. I also get the burning feeling with this beer.

What a different beer. I really can't compare it to anything. I don't think the wheat can stand up to the alcohol the same way barley can in a barley wine. This my friends is a sipper! (891 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -4.3%

Drank from a 1 pint 6 fluid ounce bottle purchased at the Portsmouth Brewery, Portsmouth, NH
Served in a snifter

The beer poured a cloudy, dark rust color with a small, light tan head that faded to a layer of bubbly froth. As the beer warmed, the chill haze eased up and the liquid turned a hazy shade of ruby red.

The aroma was sweet, smooth and boozy. Bready. Rich and malty with a noticeable spicy quality.

The taste was intense. The beer indeed was like a cross between a barleywine and a hefeweizen, with the former style being more dominant. Malty (caramel malts came through strong), sweet and boozy. Bitter orange peel appeared up front. Super piney hops and some sour notes came through in the center and lasted into the resonating tart (lemony) and bitter finish.

The mouthfeel was medium-light bodied for the style (a touch watery) with a fine and mild carbonation. Somewhat smooth and creamy initially. Sticky on the lips. By the drink's end, the beer was nearly flat.

Drinkability was decent. This was a tasty and intriguing (yet super hoppy and boozy) beer that is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Wheatwines are slowly become a more popular style amongst a number of craft brewers, and that is a good thing. Although I enjoyed this offering from the Portsmouth Brewery, it was not one of the better examples I have come across. (1,354 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -3.8%

Had on tap at Portsmouth. This beer really delivers the alcohol (at least to me it did), but let's start at the beginning. Clear and coppery when served, the head was thick and creamy and almost milkshake like in composition. The aroma had some wheatiness, yeastiness, and also that candied hop essence I enjoy. There was also some notes of alcohol in the aroma. Mouthfeel and tastewise, while I enjoyed it's smoothness, I also thought it did come packed with alcohol in each sip. Nice wheatiness in the taste as well. (518 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -3%

I’ve been wanting to try Todd Mott’s Wheat Wine since he moved up to Portsmouth. On vacation about 5 years ago, I stopped by the Boston Beer and Fish company down town, and was blown away by his barleywine. This beer poured an amber color with a thick cream colored head. Mild hop aroma. There really wasn’t much beyond the hops in the nose. A mild boozy character, but little else/ The head did leave a remarkably good lace for this style. Mildly boozy taste too. A sweetness comes to the front with some citrus hop character. Very slick mouth feel. Ok drinkability. This wasn't what I remembered from 5 years ago, but was still a decent beer. (647 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Pours medium clear copper color with two finger head that hung around for a few minutes. Aroma was not real strong, but sweet with lots of malt. Lots of flowery and citrus hops and some spice hanging in back. The flavor was much stronger than the aroma. A little syrupy but not cloying. Wheat, spices, a little pepper, and a very nice citrus bitterness to round it out at the end. The alcohol is not real strong in the mouth, but has a little warming effect. Definitely a sipping beer. Has medium carbonation and finishes dry. (526 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Mini-vertical. '10 sent to me by Reagan1984, '09 supplied by Mike (AgentZero). Served in a Russian River tulip. I'm going to mainly review the 2010, as it was superior. The '09 seemed..."off".

A - A finger of white foam settles to a partial cap and leaves behind spotty lace. The body is a transparent orange. In contrast the '09 was hazy and darker in color.

S - Fruity esters, sharp wheat and toasted grain, light honey, and some sugary notes as well. The '09 had a strange off aroma that was very musky and vaguely reminiscent of body odor and cologne.

T - Taste has more apple flavor mixed with fruity yeast esters, sweet malted grains, and surprisingly well-hidden alcohol. Somewhat bland, but easy enough to drink. The '09 again has a weird cloying rotten fruit flavor.

M - Medium body, low carbonation, and a fairly clean finish. Minimal alcohol presence - surprised to see this is 11%, as I would have guessed 9% tops.

D - The '10 was a pretty good wheatwine, a style that I don't generally find very exciting. The '09 had unfortunate similarities to the '10 Bare Tree from Two Brothers (although it wasn't nearly as awful). While the '10 is one of the better Portsmouth offerings I've had, it's not something I'd actively seek out or highly recommend. Still, the well-hidden alcohol and inoffensive flavor led me to have a second pour. (1,350 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

Portsmouth- Wheat Wine

Appearance- Amber brown with a small light lacing head.
Smell- Big fruityness. Cherry, apple, and pomogranite.
Taste- Cherries and pomogranite really come through. Slight grape undertones. Chewy malt throughout really balances this beer out.
Mouthfeel- Sweet, yet never cloying.

Overall- Quite delicious and the high alc. is really hidden. This could easily be a session beer. My next trip up hopefully I'll buy a bomber or 2 to bring home. (473 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

Had this on-tap at the brewpub in Portsmouth. Pours orange with ruby highlights. There is a tight head that sticks around as a cap and leaves some nice lacing. Smells lightly of bubblegum and slightly sour wheat. Strangely enough, this tastes a bit like sake. Hot with alcohol with distinct soft rice grain flavors, a hint of banana, cherry, and clove. The mouthfeel is a bit hot, but drinkable. I wouldn't exaclty call this challenging, but it is most definitely a sipper. Unusual. (482 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

Reviewed from my notes. Served in a tulip glass at the brewery. This is the 2010 edition of the Wheat Wine (it was listed as Aged Wheat Wine at the pub).

A: Cloudy burnt orange liquid. Tan bubbles on top settle down to expose the liquid. I cannot see any rising carbonation. Swirling the glass leaves behind plenty of film and foam.

S: Some sweetness and some alcohol. Reminds me of crystalized ginger, but also has some ties to strong English ale styles (Barleywine, Old Ale).

T: Some fruit and alcohol. Apple, pear and plum are all present--lots of non-citrus fruits! Tastes of honey as well.

M: Full bodied, but viscous. The carbonation tickles my tongue, as does the alcohol. Sticky lips. Light coating that is sweet.

D: A slow drinking beer. 10 ounces is plenty at the end of this session. Strength and thickness of the body limit this beer. (851 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -1%

Pours a murky reddish brown, not much head with no lacing.

Smell is surprisingly weak, couldn't make out much of an aroma, slight malty aroma with some fruitiness though.

Taste is very smooth and slick, not quite what I expected but very welcome, the alcohol is well hidden and only has a slight warming sensation, very malty with a fruit backing. (349 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

Presentation: 22 oz brown bomber with a bottled date on the label.

Appearance: Decent frothing with some killer stickage from a good head retention. Clear but quite dark, orangey brown in color.

Smell: Shortbread cookies, vague vanilla, caramel, sweet blueberry skin … clean nose and subtlety aromatic.

Taste & Mouth Feel: Creamy slick full bodied mouth feel. Thick malty palate with a warming alcohol attached. Modest hops let the malt character unfold; toasted malt, hint of soft cocoa, faintness of brown sugar and a bold spicy wheat. A touch of herbal hop middle to end. Nice lining in the finish of a toasted malt flavor.

Drinkability & Notes: This brew proves that wheatwines are very different from barleywines. Without a doubt this is a sipping brew, a great one none the less. (799 characters)

Portsmouth Wheat Wine from Portsmouth Brewery