1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Portsmouth Kate The Great - Portsmouth Brewery

Portsmouth Kate The GreatPortsmouth Kate The Great

Portsmouth Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: bewareOFpenguin on 04-07-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Portsmouth Kate The Great Alström Bros
Ratings: 853 | Reviews: 483 | Show All Ratings:
bewareOFpenguin

Ordered some take out last night and headed down to the brewery. Looked up at the board and saw this offering. On an empty stomach, I ordered a 12oz glass. Poured dark with chocolate bubbles. Rich taste, no hint of the ABV, good malt. In fact, it wasn't until I started home that I noticed that warm blow in my stomach. I think it is 12%, but I am not sure. A growler refill at $12? I'll be doing it knowing this beer won't last long.

04-07-2005 14:20:09 | More by bewareOFpenguin
Sycodrummer

Had this on tap from the Brewpub. Was presented to me in a 10oz. glass the beer was pitch black with a half-finger of tan/beige head. The head itself was thick and frothy alla cappucino. No outright signs of carbonation, but an impressive sheet of lace formed all down the sides of the glass and lasted throughout the sample. The head retained well as well throughout the sample.

The smell was innitially of darker fruits. Plum and fig are coming through quick nicely with an aromatic blend of roasted malt and alcohol. Also black coffee and slight bitter chocolate in the nose.

The taste releases the fruit flavors quite nicely. The plum and fig taste almost chocolate covered with bitter-sweet chocolate. Roasted (almost burnt) black coffee flavors and a slight but no too strong alcoholic warming. The beer is exceptionally smooth for a 10.5% ABV brew. No aggressive bitterness only that which comes from the chocolate tastes.

The mouthfeel is heavy but not syrupy. An even consistancy and balance to all the flavors. Not an assertive brew that screams alcohol, but raher more mellow and subtlely warming.

This was a great imperial stout in my opinion. It gets all 5's but in a very different way than my other all 5's (as of 10/3/05): Sam Smith Imperial Stout. This Impy has a much more fruitty flavor like a good port wine and is perfect to sip and enjoy after a meal. A very strong offering from the small brewpub.

10-03-2005 23:21:14 | More by Sycodrummer
Cedromar

Never have I had a better beer. In a word, delicious.

A: Black with a light cocoa head.
S: Caramel, Chocolate and some dark fruit notes lingering in the background.
T: Wonderful chocolate taste throughout. Some vanilla accents as it warms as well.
M: Creamy and thick. Lingers on the palate beautifully.
D: It doesn't get more drinkable then this for a stout.

I made two 4 hour (roundtrip) journey's for to the brewery for this beer and was fortunate to grab a few growlers and bottles for aging. It was more than worth it and exceeds the hype surrounding it.

Serving type: growler

12-30-2007 00:14:30 | More by Cedromar
mbrandon2w

Maine

Picked up a growler to share with my fiancee's family over christmas.
Poured absolutely Jet black. No light came through whatsover. Nice dark brown head.
Aroma of chocolate, coffee. Both in the taste as well. The flavor was so complex and unbelievably smooth. Coffee, chocolate, slight roasted grains, some alcohol.
According to the bartender when I bought it, this was closer to 12%, and I can't believe the beer was so smooth if it had that much alcohol.
I wish I could get more of this.
Of the 5 or 6 people that tried it, not a single person did not love it.

Serving type: growler

01-01-2008 00:46:17 | More by mbrandon2w
IntriqKen

Pours almost black with a half finger of coffee and cream colored foam topping the glass. Head is very sticky as you draw down.

Aromas are lots and lots of coffee, rich coffee...starbucks coffee with none of the bitterness associated with coffee.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth...not too thick...just...well...perfect.

Taste ....uh, oh....this is hard. There is so very much going on in here. Coffee...espresso coffee....caramel....cream....toffy...give me a break! Rich, creamy, sweet, smooth. Everything is wonderful in this beer.
Wow. How did they do this.
I have just discovered my favorite RIS...quite possible (and in my humble opinion) the best RIS in the world.
Thank you, sweet BA for sharing this experience.
This is heaven.

02-04-2008 02:34:00 | More by IntriqKen
fdrich29

The joys of being a father know no bounds...

So at the tail end of my three month vacation I took to be a stay at home dad with my daughter I received a call from rocketfrog asking me if I wanted to go to Kate the Great Day at Portsmouth Brewing. "Why the hell not?" I say and a few days later with my daughter in tow we're heading up to New Hampshire.

We arrive around 1:30 or so and are among the last people to get a calendar page (November 7 & 8 I believe). The beer was released at 2:27pm. We wait and chat with the other people in line. Many familiar BA faces, some of which had just volunteered at the ACBF in Boston. I was offered a taste of Kate while we were waiting outside.

Love at first sip.

When the calendar dwindled down to the early Fall and we did the math, we realized we most likely weren't going home with Kate. October was called one day at a time, instead of the entire month. All of October received their beer, but that would be the end of Kate for the day. We were told to come back on rain check day with our calendar pages and we could buy the beer when they bottled more.

We had talked with Blackkristos for much of the wait and as he was leaving with his four bottles of Kate handed me one bottle as a gift for having waited for so long with my daughter. Tremendous beer karma goes out to him.

Rocketfrog and I had a glass at the bar before heading back home, and I had two glasses on that Friday with joepais when I went back up to collect my bottles on rain check day.

As for my review of Kate the Great....Totally, 100% worth the hype.

07-29-2008 22:36:10 | More by fdrich29
bcastine

New Hampshire

Got this recently on a trip to the brewery, was notified by the waitress while eating dinner and kicking back some cask rocket Ipa that 3 bottles were available in the store, 2 08's, and 1 06 vintage. Sprinted/stumbled to the store to find only the 2006 bottle left, hmmm novices must have grabbed the first 2 to my ever pleasant glee. Shared with my beer-drinking buddy, certainly a beer one must share; this offering is just to special for just 1 person imho.

A-Black, thick sticky brown lacing

S-where to start, coffee, dark chocolate, black cherry, tobacco, oak, bourbon to name a few.

T-absolutely explodes across the tongue, so many flavors combine together in Kate that its magic that they don't combine in an offensive manner. Complete harmony, I quickly realize I'm certainly not worthy of this. Certainly this is art, perfection.

M-Every swallow is one less you will have, which is depressing, an absolute sensory tease. Flawless, hides the high abv very well, and lingers on the palate for sometime, hard to avoid taking that next pull, while it lasts, its certainly addicting.

D-Amazing, if given a constant supply bad things would ensue, maybe it's a good thing KTG is hard to come by. I feel blessed to have had a bottle with some age under the belt, really anxious to see if a newer vintage compares favorably. On a desert island and could chose only one beer, you guessed it. KTG has a complexity I've only previously found in great red wines. Simply an achievement. Wouldn't even take a beer connoisseur to appreciate.

08-11-2008 20:01:40 | More by bcastine
mikeale

Maine

February 09 bottling. Served in my new Portsmouth snifter.
Worth the wait in line!
Yes Perfect 5's!

A. Pitch black body with tan head. The head disipates in a few minutes with nice lacing.

S. Very complex. I'm getting hints of rum soaked fruits, coffee, and chocolate.

T. Mocha, creamy chocolate, malted milk balls, do I keep going or when do I stop? Roasted malt the hops are so balenced.

M. rich, creamy, warming alochol

D. Highly drinkable! I'm restraining myself from getting another from my stash! Not as thick as the Dark Lord. My wife said "the Stone IRS has a bite but Kate does'nt"

When the camera crew came around and interveiwed my wife, daughter and myself, they asked my wife how she felt about my love of the other woman Kate. My wife responded "we have an open marriage when it comes to beer".

I love Kate! She is great!

02-10-2009 02:54:10 | More by mikeale
Stockfan42

This was highly worth the trip and the wait. Highly recommend going to the next release when ever that may be. I could not get there early enough to get some bottles to take home but still a very good time and very good beer.

I did not get to see the actual pour of the beer, my seating was in the center dining area right near the bar that was full of people who had gotten in before me,but im happy to just HAVE a seat and enjoy the occasion. So KTG gets dropped off on my table and I waste no time picking it up and sipping away.

Its a Dark, creamy beer with a pretty dark tan head that smells of fruit and chocolate. Not really overpowering but a nice coffee or mocha smell also reveals itself.

It has a very dark chocolat malt flavour that isnt overdone at all, and a sweetness from some figs and plums, maybe some raisons too. Its not that heavy, but heavy enough to fill you with just 1 to 2 servings (3 servings put me on my ass for a little bit).

The beer goes down really smooth and leaves a great after taste that does not dissapoint. I highly recommend trying this beer if you ever have the oppertunity.

02-10-2009 18:05:38 | More by Stockfan42
pd360

Maine

I was lucky enough to get a taste of Kate on Monday before they ran out. I was too late to buy any bottles though. It really did live up to the hype, I was nervous about it being a let down, but that was not the case. It was thick and rich, like drinking a cold melted dark chocolate bar. Surprising amount of alcohol in there. Our server said this one was at 12%, and after 2 beers it packs a punch. Worthy of the praise and if you get a chance to try it, its worth the wait.

02-12-2009 02:35:39 | More by pd360
rye726

Colorado

'07

Pours an oilish black with hues of old redwood when held to light. Thick espresso head settles to a nice silky cover.

Nose has big roasted malts, loads of chocolate, molasses, coffee, dark fruit, bitter hops. Super bready and rich, fantastic.

Taste is so deep and complex yet delicately balanced. Chocolate fudge, dark malts, ripe pitted fruit, subtle peppery alcohol, floral hops, anise, mloasses, vanilla and coffee.

Thick chewy body is perfectly carbonated. Big, lasting finish of chocolate, hops and massive malts. One of the best beers I have ever had. Hard to track down, but well worth the effort.

06-11-2009 03:01:33 | More by rye726
Bailarge

Connecticut

I'll preface by saying this is my first ever beer review for BA. Also, I'm from New Hampshire, but I've never actually tried Kate until I moved to Connecticut. Go figure. Huge shout out to jastack for giving me the opportunity to try "Kate the Great"

I've had other stouts before that still taste good, but definitely feel watered down. Not the case with "Kate the Great". Not in the slightest. This beer is thick with a creamy texture. It tastes like a liquid, alcohol-filled version of the chocolate brownie sundaes I would get at Lago's Lone Oak Ice Cream (coincidentally only a few miles down the road from the Portsmouth Brewery) growing up on the Seacoast of New Hampshire.

There's also a fruity flavor to the beer that lingers for the right amount of time, an added bonus that turns the beer from great to outstanding. And the heat of the alcohol is never overpowering. You know its there, but it won't overwhelm you.

I'll admit my palate may not be experienced enough to be able to search for all the other various flavors withing "Kate the Great", but I don't think that's necessary to be able to simply state that this is the best beer I've tasted in my life.

08-17-2009 00:02:05 | More by Bailarge
Hawthorne

Maine

Review from notes taken during the September secret release of an 08 keg.
It is December and I still recall the moment my lips touched this beauty.
The smell is amazing with deep malt, cherry and raisin. The taste is a rollercoaster ride of deliciousness. Starting with that nice malt, moving to a black cherry then to a dark chocolate - crazy good. Be careful, Kate packs a punch!

12-16-2009 13:59:30 | More by Hawthorne
mutterfudder

New Hampshire

Recently opened an '08 bottle at a tasting at my buddy's house. We had heard that the 08's were aging poorly so it was time to crack one open and see what was what. Many props for pulling out this from the cellar!

A - Kate poured viscous and dark into the snifter. There was an ever-present dark tan head that stuck to the sides of the glass. Swirling the beer left a thin layer of the beer on the sides of the glass that would slowly drip down to join the rest of the beer. Nice.

S - Any concerns that the beer had gone south were set free by a smell of the nose. Roasted malt, coffee, dark chocolate and alcohol. Wonderful.

T - Ok, then there was NO concern about the beer. Malts opened up to a fresh roasted dark coffee tempered by whiskey notes. The few years in the cellar really mellowed out Kate's alcohol side, as there was no warmth generally associated with the style or the ABV.

M/D - The beer was soft and chewy on the palate. All the notes played well together and nothing stood out as off. Drinkability? Well I only wish that I could drink these all night. I slowly savored the glass I had but could have easily had more if it were possible.

I hate to add to the hype around this one, but Portsmouth did a great job with 08 KtG. Can only hope '10's batch is this good...

01-31-2010 16:36:30 | More by mutterfudder
palphen

Had on tap at the brewery for Kate the Great Day 2010

After an hour and a half waiting in line we had our first Kate the Great's. The beer arrived with a small 1/4" thin tan head. Wicked dark body, the look alone was incredible.
Theres a small smell of the alcohol but more of the chocolate and malt.
The taste was incredible. The first sip was overwhelming. Everything was just perfect very rich and sweet taste tastes of dark fruit and chocolate, the alcohol is hidden behind the chocolate taste but it does come through. The mouth feel is also incredible, it is so smooth like liquid velvet. One of the best beers ive had. The drive and the waiting in line was worth it.

03-02-2010 19:38:57 | More by palphen
FatboyNH

New Hampshire

Waited 2-1/2 hours (or 2 years since I first found out about it) for this beauty of a stout. Wow! Outstanding is all I could say for the first few minutes. Very dark but very drinkable. Sweeter than most of the Russian Imperial Stouts that I have in the past. The smell is intoxicating. Ended up having 4 and could have had more, but @ 9.5 abv, the alcohol catches up to you. Definitely one of the best beers I ever had. Too bad they only brew it once a year, but it's worth waiting for.

03-02-2010 19:48:49 | More by FatboyNH
alkchrios

New Hampshire

I feel a review isn't even going to do this beer justice. This beer undoubtedly lives up to the hype. One of the best RIS's I have ever had and probably ever will have. Pours jet black which gives way to about a half inch head. Smells of coffee grinds, chocolate and licorice. Taste is more than I expected. You can taste the coffee, hops, chocolate, floral tones as well as the licorice. Mouthfeel...perfect amount of carbonation.. finishes so smooth and feels absolutely amazing (thats what she said). I had three tulips and could of had maybe one or two more. Its a heady brew and an absolutely amazing one at that.

Cheers.

03-04-2010 17:18:28 | More by alkchrios
tobin

2010 Kate the Great Day - 3 glasses served in snifter.

A: Pours pitch black with a finger of tan head. Head recedes leaving a film on the inside of the glass

S: Smell is not overwhelming but hints at the flavors hiding within of chocolate, oak, caramel and coffee

T: Tastes of dark chocolate and roasted/smokey oak with first sip. Finishes with hints of caramel, molasses and lots of dark fruit/port.

M: Full bodied, smooth and creamy. Seems to have the perfect amount of carbonation

D: A very delicious beer and I really couldn't taste the 9.5% ABV. Kate lives up to the hype and I wish I could have scored more without coming off as a glutton!

03-05-2010 17:07:42 | More by tobin
DNICE555

Connecticut

I just had a KBS last week. The bar has been raised high. I did have to wait in line for this beer for hours in the rain. That was months ago and I barley remember it at this point. My point is I am measuring this stout up against the best and there are no outside factors influencing my judgement. The yankees red sox game is on so I am in a good mood and ready to review this sought after gem. I have kept this beer in my wine fridge at 55 since I obtained it. I poured it into my portsmouth pint glass. I haven't had a beer on this Easter in hours and I have eaten some crackers to cleanse my palate.

The appearance. Midnight. A serious brown head. It appears to have a very high viscosity. A beautiful looking stout that I have anxiously been awaiting. Looks exactly how a stout should. Spot on as far as aesthetics.

The smell. I don't need a smell to have a bunch of components. I am impressed when the aroma has a few components and they are all big and distinct. I smell the chocolate, coffee, caramel, hops, and they are all deadly accurate. The aroma is huge and addicting.

The taste. Wow. Hype? Bullshit. I am drinking a properly stored clearly not infected bottle of KTG. It's served at the proper temperature and warming as I type this review. I've already traded my extra bottle so I am not looking to amplify the magnitude of the bottle's trading prowess. Drinking my one and only KTG I can honestly say... this is one bad ass beer. I am somewhat a beer extremist. DIPAs and Russian Imperial Stouts are my two favorite styles. Pliny the elder was my favorite beer before this one. I can honestly say this blows anything I have ever had before out of the water. To say I get toffee, chocolate, hops, vanilla, spices, out of this beer would be a great disservice. I love reviewing beers but I am by no means a legit reviewer. This beer is so complex I cannot pretend to know all that goes into it. The flavors I pick up are so pronounced but my palate is not mature enough to understand all that goes on with KTG. Normally comparing beers within styles makes sense but this beer surpasses my favorite DIPA for whatever that is worth.

The mouthfeel. Damn. Rich. Creamy. This is the thickest beer I have had the honor of trying. You feel the thickness as soon as it hit your lips. It coats the palate. The carbonation is right there. It allows the flavors to explode while you get a tingle on the tongue enhancing the already unfathomable amount of data to a level that puts your senses in a utopia.

The drinkability. I haven't hesitated in giving every single category a 5 until this last one. The first sip was so thick and powerful I was a bit intimidated. As I continued on I realized how fast I was consuming this 22oz bomber. Despite being a thick, delicious, russian imperial stout... this beer is smooth, creamy, and heavenly. I can't think of one thing that could improve this beer. Seriously, It is perfect in every way to me. I give this beer my first, well deserved, perfect 5. Cheers KTG.

Supplement: '10 KTG stored at proper temp aged 8 months for my Birthday by the Larse. All I have to add is MMM just how I remembered my favorite beer. Thanks Larse... you da man.

04-05-2010 02:21:13 | More by DNICE555
FringeBeers

New Hampshire

Just busted this out of the cellar today.

Beautiful black color to the beer with a cocoa colored head that dissipates quickly. A nice trail of lacing left behind.

Smells of chocolate, fruits, molasses, and caramel. Gets better as it warms.

It tastes like the smells the chocolates, fruits, etc... blended well together. I can even get a hint of the port aging and a nice bite from the alcohol.

This was silk across the tongue. Leaves almost a film with an amazing aftertaste to it. The carbonation is just right for this heavy a beer.

I can't believe you can only get two of these. I was tempted to go break out the second bottle, but i resisted. I got see how this babe ages.

04-08-2010 04:29:28 | More by FringeBeers
NorthsideFred

Enjoyed a 2009 bottle with krtman and jcnd9803.

Thanks to TheRowan for providing this incredible beer!

I've read some of the reviews and threads on here about a contaminated or sour taste. I'm here to say there was not even a hint of sourness in the beer I had.

A: It looks out of this world. This is as black as black can be. There is a thin dark tan head with minimal lacing.

S: It smells amazing. Very complex, with dark fruits, and chocolate, perhaps some licorice.

T: Wow, this tastes better than I ever imagined! The dark fruits and roasted malty chocolate blend together in perfect harmony.

M: This just feels right. Not the thickest RIS, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

D: Exceptionally drinkable. I could never see this being too rich and becoming a burden to finish.

This is possibly the finest Russian Imperial Stout I've ever had.

07-19-2010 14:24:27 | More by NorthsideFred
boMD

Oregon

A 2009 bottling that I've been cellaring and waiting to enjoy on my fiancee's birthday (who is appropriately also named Kate).

Poured pitch, jet black with a thick, brown head. The head faded quickly and kept a consistent ring around the perimeter of the glass. Nose was very refined, dark sugars, bark chips and roasted meats, wine-like in a sense of its complexity. Smooth, silky, velvety texture. Bold and boozy but far from astringent. The typical strong stout characters of oats, roasted grains which carried a malt sweetness, and even a slight fruit creaminess. But also hazelnut flavors meshed with more roast which countered a dark, wine-like alcohol presence. I even detected some brine towards the finish surrounded by chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon flavors. Divine, a pleasure to drink.

07-25-2010 06:12:19 | More by boMD
rowingbrewer

had on tap at kate day this year. waiting in the cold and rain for 2 hours and the reward was worth the wait.

this beer pours nearly pitch black with just hints of light being able to make its way through around the edges. there is a thin mocha colored head that aps the beer, but goes away fairly quickly. the smell was chocolatey and roasty with hints of the warmth from its 12% abv. the tastes starts out with chocolate hints and is followed by some well balanced roasted malt. the alcohol warmth is present but the it works very well and is wrapped up in the beautiful mouthfeel that this beer has. its velvety smooth and honestly the most drinkable imperial stout I have ever had. the eer is filling and the only reasons I did not have more than the 2 glasses i consumed were, 1 the line outside of people who hadn't had one which reminded me of my experience last yea of heading up for dinner and hearing kate had kicked hours earlier, 2 full feeling from lunch and 2 kates, 3 i have 4 bottles to share with friends over the next few years. if you get a chance to try kate savor it and consider yourself lucky as it is very limited.

03-07-2011 22:54:52 | More by rowingbrewer
stoutluvr420

Vermont

A- Black color, coffee brown head. Head retention was medium.

S- Chocolate, maricino cherry, faint coffee esters and a slight woody aroma.

T: Chocolate, cherry, dark dried fruit, tobacco, licorice- in that order. Less sweet and more oak than previous years. The roasted malt here is predominately chocolate, earthy hops are noticeable, yet restrained.

M: Not as thick or viscus as previous years, but still a substantial beer.

D: So layered and complex I could drink it all night, closest thing to a sessionable RIS- besides the abv...

Compared to previous years, this is my favorite batch. Im guessing the port/oak infusion was tweaked. I will be aging this one a year longer than usual...

03-08-2011 08:09:31 | More by stoutluvr420
dwaz

2011 bottle - thnaks chuckycheese

Apperance - Pours black with slight reddish tinge and small head that dissipates quickly

Smell - Sweet malt with slight alcohol and smoke

Mouthfeel - Perfect, smooth, not too chewy or watery

Taste - well balanced, slight smoke, a slightly sweet flavor that I cannot my finger on, but a blend of blueberry, raisins and sweet malt. Little alcohol flavor on the back end.

Overall - a world class beer and the best Russian Imperial Stout I've ever tasted. The balance is amazing and what truely puts this beer in the class of Westy 12.

05-15-2011 16:27:32 | More by dwaz