Portsmouth Kate The Great - Portsmouth Brewery

New Hampshire, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: bewareOFpenguin on 04-07-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Portsmouth Kate The Great Alström Bros

A - pours chocolaty black into the glass with a thing, white rim that forms around the edges of my snifter

S - nose is chocolate and grain malts with some sweet tobacco in the mix

T - sweet soy chocolates move on to rich milk chocolates. These hold strong for a while but eventually give way to some mild tobacco notes and ultimately ends with more of the chocolate that is so dominant throughout the other phases of this beer.

M - smooth and full bodied makes this a nice RIS

D - good, but not as complex or deep as I was hoping it would be given the hype and difficulty of obtaining a bottle of this. Worth a try, but not at the cost.

Thanks go to sarcastro for sharing at our Mega Tasting III. 22oz bomber, 2009 vintage, into RBSG 2010 tulip.

A - Pours black, mocha-colored head, thin ring around the glass. The head vanishes quickly leaving behind no lacing or retention, just a thin ring and the blackness of the beer.

S - Not overly complex, yet solid. Chocolate, roast, bigger oak then expected. As it warmed the alcohol became a little more pronounced, although it's no where near "hot" or "boozy", simply smooth.

T - The chocolate is the main character here, followed by the coffee, roast. The alcohol is smooth and refined, and adds complexity in the form of dark fruits and barrel. A nice bitter dark chocolate finish along with some oak. Again, not overly complex, just very well-done.

M - Full, rich and smooth, good carbonation, creamy finish.

O - While I enjoyed this one, I was more Kate the Good then Kate the Great. A very solid RIS that I would have again, however, not give up a huge amount to obtain.

(NOTE 4/2011 - positive re-reviews are backlogged and forthcoming)

from my cellphone notes on kate day 2009 (monday feb 9)

served in a tulip glass.

opaque, midnight black. tan head fades to wisps. lacing never sticks however.

quite fruity in the aroma, with raisins, apple and dark cherries. hint of cocoa. gentle whiff of alcohol.

flavors are similarly sweet and fruity, with some roasted chocolatey malt, and a hint of coffee. notes of vanilla. surprisingly moderate hop bitterness with more coffee again in the finish.

feel is very smooth and lightly syrupy, with only a touch of alcohol. gentle to moderate carbonation can bring creaminess. don't know if maybe it's actually more carbonated on first pour, because i had to warm up this glass in my hands for about ten minutes - they still serve this beer way too cold for my taste. i was repeatedly rubbing my hands together to warm them up again before holding the glass each time.

a good imperial stout, but this year's batch is perhaps overly fruity, and the head retention and lacing was a glaring disappointment. i've seen photos of previous batches with lovely head and lace, so i was underwhelmed this time around. my brother and i were absolutely wowed by this beer at the '08 EBF (probably the '07 batch), and kept going back for multiple samples. i didn't make it to the summer '08 release, but my brother did and said it was too hot and overly hoppy. seems they went in the other direction for this release.

oh well. i'll see how the bottles age.

'08 vintage.

Appearance: Kate pours a rich obsidian color, completely opaque as any imperial stout should be. Three inches of foam rises from a gentle pour, slowly settling into a quarter-inch cap and leaving a ton of sticky lace as it descends. Head retention is outstanding, far beyond other beers of this style.

Smell: Rich and sweet - cocoa and cream with an undertone of tart fruit. Pleasantly aromatic.

Taste & mouthfeel: Pretty rich and choocolatey, like liquid chocolate cake. The malt backbone on this stuff is enormous and decidedly on the sweet side for the style. I've heard that this year's batch is around 12%, and the sweetness is fitting of that ABV. Flavors of milk chocolate, tart berries, semi-burnt toast, sweet cream and caramel fill the palate but never overwhelm it. It finishes semi-dry with a hint of alcohol and a slight acrid quality. I think that this will mellow in time however, and I can imagine this stuff tasting very good in 6 months. As it stands I'd say that it lacks the complexity of other imperial stouts I've tried, though it's a solid and enjoyable beer.

4.03/5  rDev -10.6%

We opened up a 2010 bottle at finewinemike's house this past weekend. Poured into a Colossus snifter.

Appearance: This beer pours black with a little bit of red at the edges where the light hits the beer. There is a layer of cocoa colored head that fades to a ring around the glass.

Smell: Sweet roasted malt and dark chocolate up front with lots of dark fruit and a little bit of a wine like smell. Lots of wood from the barrels and some heat from the alcohol.

Taste: This beer is quite roasty and doesn't have quite enough sweetness in it to even that out. Some dark fruit and wine tartness with a strong note from the wood. The finish is bitter.

Mouthfeel: The body is thick with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: Given the hype/ratings behind this beer, I was a bit disappointed. That being said, it was still quite good, but it didn't live up to the same level as a few of the other stouts at the tasting. I would have it again, but given the cost to trade for it, I won't be doing that again.

4.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Bottle received from brdc (thanks Daniel). I had this side-by-side with several other big and rare stouts (Darkness, Dark Lord, and Sexual Chocolate). Through this I was able to make comparisons which normally elude me. It turned out that Kate the Great was pretty unique in this contest. It had the most evident alcohol aroma and flavor, very reminiscent of sake, kind of a sake-RIS.

The beer is dark black with a nice initial 1-2 finger foam. As mentioned earler the smell was sake-like, but included roasted malts (more sweet than burnt). The taste was good but not great, lots of sake up front, then some malty sweetness as it fills the mouth, followed by a lingering sake or alcohol flavor. I'm not sure why alcohol is so evident in this beer versus its competitors, but it makes this more or less one of a kind. The body is standard for the style, thick enough but nowhere as thick as Dark Lord (or Darkness for that matter). Drinkability is very good, I was surprised to find myself wishing for more of this after the beers were gone (although Darkness was the hands-down winner in everyone's book).

4.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Huge THANKS to Mario for bringing this rare gem to my tasting last night. Now I don't need to hunt this one down! 2012 Vintage. Pours a thick, jet black color with a small-medium brown head that disappears quickly. Scent is packed with coffee and dark chocolate cocoa. A bit of cherry and subtle citrus aromas. Taste is just as it smells with an initial burst of chocolate followed by coffee and cherry juice. Some subtle citrus flavors as well. The chocolate flavor isn't as dark and bitter as the nose implied. ABV is impressively well-hidden. Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with a syrupy finish. Drinkability is high. Overall, this is definitely a good RIS. I really struggle to understand the hype behind this beer. I am very glad to have tried it, but equally glad that I did not end up trading an arm and a leg for it. Basically, this beer is not worth one of my Beatifications. Solid beer all around though.

4.05/5  rDev -10.2%

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter. 2010 Vintage. Yet another huge thank you to Adam for sharing!

(A)- Pours fairly thick and pitch black. Some tan bubbles formed, but otherwise no head formation.

(S)- A good richness and roastedness on the nose. Some molasses, cocoa, and coffee. Rather dry, but a good overall aroma.

(T)- Similar to the smell. A big richness. not as much roasted elements as I would have liked to see, but it does have a big sweetness in its place. Plenty of raisin, molasses, and cocoa, with just a tiny hint of dark oaky fruits from the port chips.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Rich, sweet, yet smooth and well balanced.

(D)- Definitely a great imperial stout. It is rich and sweet with just about everything where it should be. I would have liked to see more roasted elements come through to further balance it out, but perhaps I am just being picky. While this is quite good, I do not see why this is worth the trade value it is getting other than simply of the fact that only 900 are made each year.

4.05/5  rDev -10.2%

I sort of 'brokered' this bottle in trade with a super cool trader, who shall remain nameless at this time to prevent unwanted Kate solicitations (you rock man!), and my kickass local partner OlieIPA. Olie threatened to open Kate when he came to pick her up but I mostly thought he would just take her home. Oh he opened her all right, with both our ladies, as part of a stupid ridiculous can't-fucking-believe-I'm-drinking-all-this-good-shit-in-one-night-line-up that included Kate, Abyss, Barrel Aged Decadence, Black Butte XX, and all my sorry ass could offer in the face of this brutal onslaught was a well placed and tasty Southern Tier Choklat extra from same unnamed awesome trader. Poor me caught in the crossfire. Mike and Amy know how to share the shit outta some brew. There's the long winded intro, here's the beer:

The pour frothed up a little head, medium tan, then died out. Black with ruby highlights.

Smell is a nice mix of black and red licorice over ... cherry chocolate says I. Maybe just a faint trace of booze. Maybe raisins.

I taste some dark to light fruit. Probably the licorice. The alcohol is just a little too out in the open. Not that it's bothering me as I love alcohol, and it's just barely showing, but you come to expect beer of this hype and caliber to have the alcohol completely under control. Taste is good and enjoyable. Much more remniscent of Dark Lord than any other big ass stout I've had. Fruity.

Silky smooth, a great offering. I would have it any time I was in it's hood, but I won't be overextending my resources to chase her down. Very lucky to have friends that just come to my house and open this kinda stuff.

Overall: good, not perfect

4.06/5  rDev -10%

22 ounce bottle. Pours pure black with a dab of brown head. The aroma is light with cocoa and I get a bit of vanilla or marshmallow fluff. The flavor is a bit more chocolaty, with a roasted edge. I found this to be more subtle that most of the "bash you over the head" type imperial stouts that we've come to love. In a night were we had the complete set of Dark Lord, this was a welcome addition.

4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

Drank multiple snifters at KTG day 2012.

Poured a very dark brown color with a lighter colored head. Head disappeared quite quickly.

Smelled of dark fruits and chocolate, and almost a bit of a red wine scent in there.

Taste is good. I would say this is a hybrid of a Barley wine and a Stout. Definitely can detect the port additions, as well as dark fruits, raisins, plums, prunes, with a tiny bit of chocolate. Some alcohol heat but not overwhelming. Very rich.

Mouthfeel - Good for style.

Overall a solid beer. I personally don't think it quite lives up to the hype, though with that being said I would definitely seek this out again. Being at the release was fun!

4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

Enjoyed and reviewed as part of cburian's RIS showdown. Thanks for the chance to try some great brews!

Appearance is dark brown, oily, little head.

Light coffee nose, malty vanilla flavors as well.

Sweet vanilla fruitiness. Little of the coffee/chocolate flavors that we find in other RIS. Very different, but very good.

Moderate thick and oily mouthfeel.

Good stuff. Moderate drinkability. Two tulips did go down quite nicely on KTG release day, however...

4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

Oh man, I've been after Kate for ages! 2012 bottle, graciously shared by whartontallboy. Thanks!

Unfortunately, it seems she's having one of "those" days, as the combination of this short, stubby bottle and the atrocious label artwork remind me more of a circus poster than either beer or Catherine herself. Every time I look at the bottle, I swear she's blowing one of those birthday party blowout things that make an obnoxious noise as they extend. The new label is just awful.

Fortunately, the beer is pretty. Plenty of thick, white head atop a black body. Aroma is rather typical for an imperial stout and doesn't really stand out in any remarkable way. Maybe some dark fruit in the background but that's about it.

Taste is similarly unimpressive. It's not bad, but the hype behind this bottle seems completely unjustified. Kate is boozy and quite straightforward, taking the path of least resistance down the middle of Stoutsville. Ethan's quip summed it up nicely: "Well, that certainly is an imperial stout."

Viscous body is its standout quality. But when I'm praising mouthfeel as the high point of a beer with this much hype, you know something's up. I came in with high expectations and left disappointed.

This is good imperial stout. It is not a great imperial stout. In fact, I'm unconvinced it's significantly better than Founders Imperial Stout. Perhaps previous vintages were more impressive, but 2012 Kate doesn't live up to its namesake.

4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

Review #100. 2008 bottle shared by the ever-generous zminor.

Pours a nearly opaque dark brown color with large bubbles collecting around the edge of the glass after a slow recession of soft, tan head. Nice, spotty lacing.

Smell is initially kind of odd. A smack of soy sauce develops quickly into alcohol and nice dark chocolate smells. A stronger whiff reveals some coffee roasted bitterness.

The first sip brings forth flavors of raisins, chocolate and anise, without the sweetness that often accompanies these tastes. Some strawberry fruitiness follows before a strongly alcoholic finish takes hold. Lots of coffee roastiness and a startlingly bitter, minerally dry aftertaste.

This beer has extremely low carbonation, and that works. Very slick and full bodied without being overly sweet, the dry bitter finish borders on the astringent.

While the dryness of this one opens the door for potentially high drinkability, the alcohol and bitter finish are somewhat prohibitive in that respect. Still on the high end for the style.

Overall, a very tasty, very well made imperial stout, but not one of my favorites. This was tasted in the same night as two vintages of Dark Lord, and I'd have to place Kate down at #3.

4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

2009 poured into a snifter. Thanks drDogBeer.

Some people say that this was an infected batch; others say that it's merely a strong wine character. Either way, it is more tart than most beers of its kind.

Very dark but not black, with a dark brown head that eventually gives away to a nice and consistent ring. It's amazing that the roast survives in the aroma and taste, even though there are a plenty of other things going on --- dry fruit, specifically prunes and dates, and lot of wine. Tastes tart and sweet, bright with some coffee, but very very heavy on fruit. Liqueur-ish. Boozy but never interfering, and finishes with massive roast. Very layered with hints of chocolate at times.

There's a strange aftertaste that I don't quite like.

Mouthfeel is spot on; carbonation keeps the finish clean although I would prefer a longer finish. Overall very good, but a little too tart.

4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

Big thanks to Jeff(alewatcher) whose handle is an anagram for whalecarte, which is rather fitting.

Looking at this beer it looks like pitch black silk. opaque and inky. and a medium viscosity. I couldn't ask for more visual stimuation, so i went ahead and started smelling and drinking it.
The aroma and flavors, i was impressed how smooth they all were with a creamy texture. A big roast backbone, creamy chocolate that is full and rich with some vanilla highlights. I couldn't find any heat or alcohol in here really at all honestly, impressive how a 12% beer did this, maybe i was too distracted by the rich and roasty flavors.

4.09/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a bottle received in a generous trade from CooperEllis into a tulip.

Looks: an oaken head fizzes up from the depths before quickly disappearing. The liquid itself is a deep, impenetrable purple that fades to light cranberry tones at the edges.

Smells: tangier than expected. Sweet dark fruits -- prunes, figs. Also picking up some sherry, alcoholic brandy, charred toast and bitter espresso.

Tastes: sweet. From beginning to finish, saccharine flavors of prunes, figs and grape juice dance about. After swallow, waves of charred malts arrive, bringing notes of dark chocolate, espresso and toast. All the flavors are nicely in balance.

Feels: smooth and velvety. The carbonation is barely even there, tingling the mouth across the medium-full-bodied liquid. Alcohol is warming but not distracting.

Drinks: like Kate the Good. It's a sweet yet solid RIS. I'm a man who prefers his toasty malts to dark fruits. Does it live up to the hype? Nah. But I'm still very glad I got to try it.

2012 vintage

Poured from an 11-ounce bottle shared by ejyoung into a tulip. 2,200 of these little guys were up for purchase this year.

Deep purple-brown, warming to a thin sunset-orange at the edges. Nearly no head, but a very thin tan ring.

Incredible nose. Chocolate syrup, prunes and dates, a savory background of toasted marshmallow. A little butter, vanilla, burnt toast and smoky roast swirl in the back.

My first experience with Kate was somewhat of a let-down, but I see now that’s because I was expecting something different. Smoothness is key with Kate, and this is like jazz. The front delivers the perfect amount of port, with accompanying dark grapes and figs. Things get roasty at the swallow in a blend of chocolate, burnt toast, marshmallow and oak. Lingering roasty bitterness.

What can be said about the body? It’s velvety, creamy, medium-full but not too think. Gentle massaging carbonation hold together well as is moves. It’s perfect.

Kate's greatness is in her subtlety. It’s not a flavor that will astound you with its strength, but rather through its balance and deft handling of port barrel aging.

4.1/5  rDev -9.1%

A Darkness in a glass. Finger width head that soon dissolves to think brown lace.

S Big bitter dark chocolate on the nose above anything else. Molasses and dry herb.

T Big Bitter dark chocolate taste as well. Aromas match taste.

M Nice viscosity and nice bitter notes. Slightly sappy and thick.

O Nice delisious RIS. Expected a bit more from the hype. I will go as far to say it's over rated. But that doesn't take away from it being a fine crafted stout.

4.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Pour is a deep black with a tan colored head. The nose has a little oak, light roasted malts, hints of dark chocolate, bright sweet flavors of anise, malt, and dark berries. The flavor is great, lightly roasted, dry dark chocolate, a touch of smoke in the roast, fairly sweet towards the back but not in a sugary way. Blackberry, plums, and cherry are very bright. The body is medium to full, very drinkable, smooth on the palate with a light carbonation and short finish.

4.1/5  rDev -9.1%

2010 bottle shared by Huhzubendah at a tasting a while back. This beer has cetainly illuded me and I was excited that Matt decided to pull this one out of his cellar.

Pours a dark brown that never really hits black. A little lighter than expected and a bit thin looking.

Notes of chocolate, dark fruit, a little oak and some coffee and roasted malt. Nice yet a bit subtle.

Taste is certainly solid, but nothing earth-shattering. Some chocolate and roasted seem to dominate. I was really trying to pick up the port soaked oak and it was there and added an interesting layer of complexity.

A little thinner than I would like, but solid and extremely drinkable.

Thanks again Matt for cracking this guy as I know it is a real bitch to come by.

4.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Special thanks for grassrootsVT for sharing this rare and delicious beer that he helped brew with Todd.

App: Pours a deep dark solid color. Nice thick head with high bubbly lacing.

Aroma: Big chocolate. Sweet, malty biscuits and alcohol,. Full rich flavor with slight toffee notes.

Taste: Rich, bright, bold with a hoppy finish. Rich Chocolate and colorful.

Mouth: Nice but slightly thinner than I'd expected. Not as round as I'd hoped. Carbonation is ok, but not full enough.

Drink: Pretty drinkable and especially so for a beer of its strength.

4.11/5  rDev -8.9%

Thanks Nick of ThreeWiseMen for sharing this one with me. You rock buddy! Almost feel like I'm not giving this one a fair chance since I just drank some Abyss and loved that so much. This is a different animal for sure.

Appearance: Head appear slowly after pouring. Not much retention but leaves a good halo. Completely opaque black body. Leaves an oil-slick look on top of the liquid.

Smell: Dark chocolate and molasses. I tried and tried but couldn't get much more out of it. Where's the complexity? Still very pleasant smell.

Taste: Burnt malts and very sweet molasses. Dark chocolate too! I do like the taste, but like I mentioned it might not be fair to be grading this after having enjoyed Abyss so much.

Mouthfeel: Very alcoholic. It's actually quite gritty, but still smooth at the same time. Very interesting.

Drinkability: Kate is most definitely great, but only in moderation. This one kicks you on your ass.

4.12/5  rDev -8.6%

From 22oz bomber to Bruges glass at a small gathering of NoVA BA's on 9/4/11
*From notes

-- Bill, I can't thank you enough for introducing me to Kate --

Vintage 2010

A: A hearty pour yields a .75 finger head and decent, yet unspectacular lacing. It's got an oxblood hue around the edges, and a rich brownie-black tint to the body.

S: Some deliciously dark fruits hit the nose before the glass even gets there. 65% dark cocoa weaves it's way around the nostrils, creating a wonderful bouquet.

T: Wickedly different then my expectations. The ruby port (in which the wood had soaked) has an absolute vice grip on the flavor profiles of the brew. There's a lack of balance here, as the char, malt, hops...heck, just about anything else take a backseat to the dense red fruit. When discussing this with billab914 (who had it on tap at the release), he said the beer is not how he remembered it, and that he doesn't like where it has ended up. To be frank, he said, he preferred it fresh. As this is my first time flirting with Kate, I can only say that yes, this properly cellared, 2010 vintage is dominated solely by the ruby port's one-note, dense red fruit character.

M: Kate certainly feels good, but I can't say she felt great. The weight's decent, and both the texture and carbonation were on-point, yet I felt something was lacking here. It came off just a touch uninspired.

O: Portsmouth's Kate the Great vintage 2010 is a very, very good beer that just didn't live up to my lofty expectations. But really though, how could it? Considered the Holy Grail of RIS's, I can honestly say that I've had better, and I've absolutely had a whole hell of a lot worse. I'm really looking forward to ticking the 2011 next week, and will be sure to post my review.

I'm sure many of you are asking: Is she worth it? Is Kate worthy of dumping the entire cellar, for one measly bottle? That, my fellow BA's is up to you, though I'd heartily recommend thinking twice before doing so. At least for the 2010 vintage.

UPDATE: 9/23/11
As expected, we cracked the 2011 vintage at my 30th Beerthday Bash. From the moment the cap came off, it was apparent that the 2011 was head and shoulders above the '10. The port barrel character was in perfect balance with the beer, it really was one of the best RIS's I've had the pleasure of drinking. The room was deafening before the pour, and once the bottle circled around and their glasses were full, it was dead silent. We all took a moment and looked at each other, realizing we were drinking what may be the perfect beer. The following are my reviews of the '11:

A: 4 S:4.5 T:5 M:4 O:4.5

The moral of the story: DRINK KATE FRESH!

4.12/5  rDev -8.6%

Received a bottle of 2008 KtG in the New Traders BIF. Shared with BA raznug a few minutes into 2009.

Pours jet black with nice caramel head.

Smells of roasted chocolate.

Tastes of dark malts.

The mouthfeel is think. Very solid.

The alcohol does come through a bit as it warms, but it is still very nice. Don't let it detour you from trying KtG.

4.13/5  rDev -8.4%

22oz bottle, 2010 vintage.

Pours thick jet black with solid mocha head that faded quickly. Great vanilla aroma dominates, with hints of mild plums and some caramel and chocolate. Flavor is predominantly sweet, with just a hint of dry roasted bitterness on the finish. A little fruity aftertaste, but just barely. Super slick, creamy buttery mouthfeel that goes down incredibly easy for 9.5%. This is a well-made incredible straight up imperial stout and thanks to callmemickey for sharing.

Portsmouth Kate The Great from Portsmouth Brewery