2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Portsmouth Kate The Great - Portsmouth Brewery

Portsmouth Kate The GreatPortsmouth Kate The Great

Portsmouth Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: bewareOFpenguin on 04-07-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Portsmouth Kate The Great Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next › last »
Ratings: 853 | Reviews: 483 | Show All Ratings:
sarahhp

New Hampshire

4.9/5  rDev +7.7%

I missed out on this during the March 2010 snowstorm, and because I worked very close by that day, was disappointed at being 20 minutes late for getting a beer on tap. So I cursed her for her fickle being, until now.

I was in a local shop and overheard the words "beer" "on-tap" "missed it earlier", and asked which beer, and immediately ran down the street when I heard the answer.

Portsmouth Brewery, I love thee for providing the locals with a teeny tiny chance in hell at actually sampling this beer. As a dark beer fan, I salute you for your generosity.

So: Kate is a wonderfully sensuous dark brew with an abundant taste of chocolate, roasted malts, and the most amazing body of any dark beer I have had to date. There is a nice head on it, and it is so deep and dark as to barely be able to be seen through, with hints of red and brown around the edges of the glass. The aroma was strong at first, but as I got accustomed to it, waned. I was also very surprised at the low alcohol taste to it, (it was incredibly well disguised) as it didn't have the usual burn of dark beers. The mouthfeel is well balanced and coating without being syrupy or watery, and as to the drinkability:

If I only drank this for the rest of my life, I would be in Heaven every minute.

12-01-2010 21:01:58 | More by sarahhp
torriehyde

Connecticut

4.88/5  rDev +7.3%

Presentation: Bottle, aged a year, poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Motor oil dark. Very nice head which dissipated to a very nice lace around the glass,

Aroma: Chocolate and coffee notes, also a feint smell of raisons or dried frute.Taste:

Taste : Only thing I can say is phenomenal. 9-10 fresh even better aged. Chocolate and coffee, with raisons like the smell.

Mouthfeel: Full body. Very Full, but not overpowering. Leaves a very nice feel.

Drinkability: This could be the smoothest imperial stout I have ever tasted. Barely a hint of booze, other than that it is warming. Flavors are perfectly balanced. Hard to believe this is 10% ABV.

Overall: Hard to rank anything AHEAD of this. Have had plenty of awesome RIS, but this is right up there, if not better than most of them. In my all around top 5 for sure. Cant wait for Kate Day in march.

12-16-2010 08:39:19 | More by torriehyde
SierraNevadaGlis

Connecticut

4.85/5  rDev +6.6%

First Review: What better way to do a first review than review one of the best!

A - Nice black appearance with nice shade of brown. I endulged in this fine serving with Dnice555 on his creeper porch on a fine sunny day. Bottle was properly stored to enjoy 6 months after braving the freezing rain and snow to enjoy Kate.

S - Chocolate, cherry, vanilla all hit the palate. Smelled just like it tasted.

T - Chocolate, complex but smoother than a Guido on the Jersey Shore

M - Well balanced stout, smooth going down the palate and easily drinkable

O - This is my first review of a beer on BA and I have to say this is simply one of the best I have ever experienced in my life. Once it hit my lips it felt like a party was happening in my mouth!

08-11-2011 14:34:38 | More by SierraNevadaGlis
dmac621

4.4/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle shared at Paul’s Thanksgiving weekend bash. Poured a deep dark brown almost black body with a foamy dark beige head. Aroma is great with lots of raosty notes, chocolate, burnt toast, tootsie rolls, and grassy hops still make a prescence despite all the roastiness. Medium to fuller bodied with slight alcohol warming and average carbonation. Flavors of chocolate, toast, espresso, vanilla and a hint of alcohol. Overall this is just one great beer.

01-26-2012 21:19:59 | More by dmac621
perogi

4.9/5  rDev +7.7%

This is for the 2012 version of this beer.

After waiting for 4 hours, I was lucky enough to make it into the first round. Ten minutes later, I had my first Kate of the day.

A: Dark brown with light brown lace. Not overly heady.

S: When cold, a bit too much alcohol but after warming very complex notes of raisins, coffee, and cocoa.

T: Extremely well balanced beer - not too bitter nor too sweet.

M: For a 10% beer, it goes down very smooth. Tons of different flavors as it warms up - nothing is over the top.

O: An excellent beer well worth the wait. I was lucky to win bottles in the lottery - I will let the first one mature for at least 6 months before drinking. (Root cellar ftw!)

Many people will comment on the Kate the Great day - I personally had a great time. Came alone, met some people in line and hung out with them for the next 6 hours. A very fun day with good food, good people and exceptionally good beer.

03-07-2012 00:42:25 | More by perogi
j12601

3.95/5  rDev -13.2%

Bottle of the 2010 via a trade on here, that I took to one of Paul’s tastings. Pours a deep black with a thin tan head. Lots of roast on the nose, char, and big fat roast. Quite sweet, much sweeter than expected. Roast, char, plums and caramel. Long roast on the finish, lots of char and roast. Overall fairly good, but definitely not the mind blowing experience it’s made out to be. Just a solid well made imperial stout.

03-30-2012 18:11:31 | More by j12601
puzzzl

3.63/5  rDev -20.2%

From a bottle from BrianK. Finally a chance to try the #3 beer! A bit of a disappointment it is. Warm, caramelly aroma is very one-dimensional. Pretty plain but clean and refined stout flavor. Buttery. Lacking in complexity. It sits in that perilous place between being too big and not being big enough.

04-01-2012 03:01:58 | More by puzzzl