2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Portsmouth Kate The Great - Portsmouth Brewery

Portsmouth Kate The GreatPortsmouth Kate The Great

Portsmouth Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: bewareOFpenguin on 04-07-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Portsmouth Kate The Great Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next › last »
Ratings: 853 | Reviews: 483 | Show All Ratings:
craytonic

District of Columbia

2.98/5  rDev -34.5%

2008 vintage

Appearance: Pours a solid black, with a nice head and good lacing.

Smell: Yesterday's burnt espresso, heavy roast malt, mocha, dark chocolate, blackberries, black currants, prunes, raisins. Alcohol is noticeable.

Taste: I get a burnt plastic element, not very pleasant. It is highly astrigent. Yesterday's espresso, heavy, heavy roasted malt, mocha, dark chocolate, blackberries, black currants, prunes, raisins. It is hot, the alcohol is much more noticeable than on Darkness or dark lord. Todd's review nailed the tootsie rolls and malt.

Mouthfeel: Very disappointed, not nearly as full as Dark Lord or even darkness. The alcohol overshadows everything.

Drinkability: Low

Sampled as part of a Dark Lord, Darkness, Kate the Great, Founders RIS, Sexual Chocolate, Stone IRS, etc tasting. I felt this particular beer was at the bottom of the list and is mostly hype. This was also at the low end of ABV but was the hottest, very noticeable alcohol. A middling regional offering at best - albeit one that is very hard to acquire. Perhaps it is much better on tap.

03-06-2009 16:54:29 | More by craytonic
spdyfire83

Ireland

2.83/5  rDev -37.8%

102nd Review
Bottle to snifter
Vintage 2008

From notes. I was looking for the "right time" to crack this mini-whale and that was just before I departed the States to move to Ireland. Enjoyed with bspringer and mtep13.

A: Deep mahogany. A few light mocha bubbles on medium pour.

S: Cocoa, roasted malt, figs, and molasses. Hint of oak and caramel. Not as inviting as I had hoped.

T: Faint dark chocolate raisins with hints of oak, coffee, and brown sugar. Almost boring. A bit too sweet for my liking and almost no defined balance. Muddled mess here - I'm guessing that has to do with the age of it which is quite a bummer.

M: Full bodied with almost no carbonation. I wish it were thicker - especially considering the style.

O: A disappointment for sure, but I can only blame myself (I think). I sat on this too long and made the mistake of acquiring a vintage beer that seems to not age well over time. I'd be willing to give this one another shot, but I would caution anyone out there from cellaring this beer.

I will re-review it when this one comes across my glass again.

01-12-2012 13:48:44 | More by spdyfire83
pepsican

Iowa

2.7/5  rDev -40.7%

Pitch black with a finger sized tan head. Coffee and licorice dominate the nose. Flavor had strong black licorice, coffee, vanilla, chocolate, and roasted malts. Overall the flavor comes out too burnt, and the coffee is very dull. Nice and creamy mouth feel but has an intense alcoholic burn that takes away from the overall enjoyment of this one. This is for a growler of 07. Bottles of 07 and 08 weren't as enjoyable, so this one is what I'm going to enter.

Serving type: growler

07-16-2009 23:23:28 | More by pepsican
rvdoorn

Netherlands

2.68/5  rDev -41.1%

Look: the beer pours a deep black color with almost no head.
Smell: Coffee, sweet molasses, tobacco, chocolate and roasted malts
Taste: follows the nose. Very nice and sweet beer, with a bitter coffee finish
Mouthfeel: medium body and very low carbonation
Overall: I had the 2008, 2009 and 2010 version of this beer now. Al of them were completely different, ranging from sour, to flat dull and boring. The carbonation of the 2010 was way too low for my liking. Brew with consistency please. A world class beer should be world class year after year. This is average at best.

08-14-2011 20:03:28 | More by rvdoorn
BgThang

2.45/5  rDev -46.2%

A huge thanks goes out to Johnathan for the opportunity to try this.

Appearance - This poured out very black, like night fall over the ocean with no moon light in site. The head is that of a fairly quick dissipating wave that does not linger around. Swirl after swirl still not a noteworthy head on this. The head that I was able to muster was tan/sand color with some lacing , but mostly small bubbles on the sides of the glass. I was expecting some heavy phat mama legs that lingered and coated the glass but was disappointed. The legs were more of thin, skinny crack hoe looking for her next fix.

Nose - Pure alcohol at first, kinda of like going in to a bar before its opened for the night and all the lingering smells of alcohol enrages the nose hairs and start to make them tingle and not in a good way. The chocolate seeps in for a quick second then roasted coffee comes in with a small role more like a cameo. Wow did I mention alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Well so far I am disappointed with all this hype over a beer I have been seeking for a while now. Maybe this was all in my head, maybe this is what a top 3 beer should act like when the audience is so highly seeking a TOP 3 beer who people are giving their left nut to get a hold of and taste its bliss. SO here goes. The front end of this was thin with a burst of alcohol that warms the gullet up. Then you get a dryness that comes in and overtakes the scene. It leaves you screaming Chocolate oh where art thou chocolate! then it appears through the dryness. All of a sudden here comes coffee to steal the show. WEll lets just say Alcohol trips mr.coffee and stabs chocolate in the back and steals the show. It warms you up all the way down to your belly.

THoughts - Well I hope my ramblings were not too much I really was disappointed by this beer but yet it was inspiring. It showed me that out of all the top ten beers currently on BA of which I have had all but darkness That this beer is truely over hyped and I will say take Deschutes The abyss, Dark lord '08, or saint arnolds DR #5 over this any day of the week. We joked about drain pouring this and taking a picture for our avatar. If I get a chance to try this again I will only take a shot of it to see if the bottle that I had might have been bad. Do not buy in to the hype take a pass on this or drink your buddies .

10-24-2008 19:35:54 | More by BgThang
MADhombrewer

Oregon

2.1/5  rDev -53.8%

2010 vintage. Shared with Hopsbreath, Tulipsnifter, and witchsbrew. Got this from WkndatBernardus, thanks.

Appearance- Black with little tan head. 4/5

Smell- Weak aroma. Dates? 2/5

Taste - Very fruity. Tangy, fruity Pebbles cereal. 2.5/5

Maouthfeel- Too thin for my taste. I expect an Imperial Stout to be a lot thicker. 2/5

Overall- Wow! I am very unimpressed with this. I thought the 11 was much better and it had smoke flavor that I didn't expect and didn't care for that much. 2/5

11-26-2011 05:55:48 | More by MADhombrewer
fewa

2.03/5  rDev -55.4%

had this one in a ktg, black albert, kabert and special-k line up.
Pours a deep black color with almost no head. Smell is sweet, chocolate and coffee. The taste is simply a let down. Muddy coffee, sweet molasses, fatty chocolate and dusty oak. This beer lacks complexity, is thin and has low carbonation. Easily the worst in the line up. Happy that only 33 percent of this is added to the kabert, so the true masterpiece black albert can compensate. Overhyped.

01-29-2012 09:16:02 | More by fewa
SpottedZombie

1.73/5  rDev -62%

Big thanks to Adam for this one!

2011 Vintage

Pours a viscous black, pretty consistent with the style.

Smells like a heavily roasted bag of coffee, earthy, acrid, slight notes of dark fruits. The coffee smell is off-putting, not sure what the big deal is so far...

The beer starts off with a bitter/sour punch on the tip of the tongue, then moves into a chalky mess mid-palate. Coffee is highly present, not much going on here, chalky and acrid. The aftertaste is pretty awful to match, just more bitter burned coffee.

Overall I can't really see what the big deal was over this beer, it doesn't impress. I don't know if my bottle was stored right, but the mouth feel really didn't feel right, I'm going to revisit this soon.

06-03-2012 03:48:34 | More by SpottedZombie