Portsmouth 5 C's IPA - Portsmouth Brewery

Portsmouth 5 C's IPAPortsmouth 5 C's IPA

Portsmouth Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: joepais on 09-04-2008

Our interpretation of a West Coast IPA is golden, medium-bodied ale that is very hop forward. The use of Cascade, Chinook, Columbus, Centennial and Crystal hops makes this beer a hophead’s dream.
to view more.
Ratings: 82 | Reviews: 37
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

This is a case of preference, not really quality... I happen to come of age in Portland and started drinking west coast hop bombs, don't get me wrong, the very best west coast hop bombs. But, I realized that I strongly prefer balance to my beer.

Thus, the 5Cs is one of my favorite hoppy IPAs. I almost always want a bit more body than I get, but, I'll put back a few pints of these any time it's on.

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

I forgot about Crystal. I was going to guess Citra. I guess that's for 6 C's.

Golden orange with a sticky head. Lasting retention.

Sappy pine and citrus leap out of the bottle but take awhile to emerge from a dense foamy head once in the glass. Doughy malt. Smells like freshly picked peaches once it's been sitting in my glass for a bit.

Plenty bitter, the bitterness overshoots the hop flavors in my opinion. Orangey grapefruit up front with the aforementioned pine sap bitter upon swallowing.

There's so many great IPAs out there right now this very good IPA doesn't stack up. That's not so much a knock on 5Cs but a testament to the recent explosion of fine hoppy beers.

Thanks to Kate and Dana for picking this up.

4.49/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

64oz Growler

This is yet another great beer received from the man himself Kegatron, thanks again Heath! 5 Cs IPA has a body that glows sunset orange with a slight haziness throughout. The dish soap white head rises to two fingers on the pour and barely settles below that. The head is super creamy with sticky lacing covering the glass 100%. It's been awhile since I've seen a head take hold such as this one. This is one fine looking IPA to put it lightly.

Big juicy, fruity citrus greets me the second I jam my beak down into the glass. Grapefruit, tangerine, and even some mango jump out while an undercurrent of pine holds it's own in the back. The pine actually stands out more with the deeper pulls I take off this brew. The citrus is of the sweetened, candied variety and sits atop a rich caramel backbone. There is a good deal of hops tossed into this IPA and the aromas range from citrus to pine and spicy to herbal all at once. There's a very complex hoppiness to the nose.

All those hop complexities wash across the tongue with each sip. Caramel and a somewhat sweet almost tea like quality lay down the base for the generous hopping. The hops come across as citrusy up front (grapefruit, orange, and tangerine) while they're met with a nice spicy character. The piney, resinous quality doesn't come across until the swallow and slaps down a solid layer of bitterness that I'm hugely fond of. The resin lingers on my tongue long after each drink has disappeared.

The mouthfeel couldn't get much better. A soft carbonation and a moderate body make for an incredibly velvety feel. The bitterness lingers along the sides of the tongue and in the throat.

Drinkability is way up there. A pint disappears far too quickly. While the hops bring some bitterness it never gets too much to enjoy multiple glasses.

Portsmouth brews some great beers and 5 C's is right up there at the top. This really is a good IPA, one I'd love to be able to pick up in this area. I'd pass by a lot of others on the shelves to get to this one. Thanks for the great brew Heath, send more!

Reviewed: 2/28/09

3.73/5  rDev -8.8%

On tap at the Portsmouth Brewery. Served in a pint glass. From notes.

A - Golden amber body. Two finger off white head that laces all the way down.

S - Grapefruit, pine, and some light bready caramel malt.

T - Great citrus flavors with some piney hop notes. Bready and sweet with a nice bitter finish. Mouth feel is slick and coating.

O - A really solid IPA. I wasn't amazed by it, but its a very easy drinking and flavorful IPA. I really dig the name and concept of the "C" ingredients.

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

Big thanks to Reagan1984 - he keeps trying to find a Portsmouth beer I actually like and I appreciate his dedication and quixotic idealism. Served in a Russian River tulip.

A - A finger of white foam settles to a thin cap, thick collar, and spotty lacing. Lightly hazed golden orange body.

S - Citrus, pine, lightly toasted sugars, and an odd floral and perfume note that is reminiscent of aftershave and barber shops. Not sure which of the hops contributed that, but perhaps 4 Cs would be a better recipe. =)

S - Taste is an improvement, as the Old Spice flavor seems to have been limited to the aroma. A nice combination of citrus and pine malts mingle with a sugary malt backdrop. Bitterness is fairly light and only creeps up after half a glass.

M - Medium-bodied, lower carbonation, soft texture, and lots of residual hop oils and resins.

D - Other than the slightly odd aroma this was a solid and enjoyable IPA - definitely one of the better Portsmouth offerings I've had and something I'd consider trying on draft a their brewpub. I'm going to let me other bottle settle for a few more days to see if the odd aroma was due to travel-related "stress".

3.72/5  rDev -9%

Picked up a bottle of this while at the brewery. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear orange/gold with a nice two finger white head that slowly fades to leave nice side lacing.

S - Shockingly average here. Getting some light bitter hops and somehow even lighter malt aromas.

T - Much better than the nose. Some light malts and the standard Portsmouth bread qualities. There are nice hop qualities, predominantly cascade with a good bitter finish.

M - Really nice mouthfeel here. Slightly creamy, slightly crisp, all around refreshing. Very sessionable.

O - This is a nice american ipa from portsmouth. Would like to try this a bit fresher, as I'm sure that explains the lack of a good nose.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a growler filled at the bar last week. I sealed it with electrical tape and kept it in the frige for one week unopened.

Appearance is a very cloudy dark luminous orange (practically opaque) with a small, creamy offwhite head. The head drops to a film quickly but leaves diaphanous panels of remembrance down the sides of the glass.

Scent is first floral and citrus with Portsmouth's characteristic fresh bread notes. On further inspection grapefruit and pine emerge.

I love the unmistakable tangy (almost like sourdough) and crusty fresh bread flavor Portmouth IPA's always have. It's like breaking open a steaming hot loaf of sourdough bread fresh from the oven and enjoying the moist tangy chewy doughy flesh and slightly bitter, slightly charred crisp crust. 5 C's shares that malt character with Bottle Rocket but has a greater citrus content. Primarily grapefruit with lime peel and orange pith. Earthy and spicy hops. Dry fragrant pine appears on the backend with a gathering bitterness that builds and lingers. The balance is remarkable; this ale is all about hops, yet the malt character is such a present and satisfying part of this ale.

Mouth begins creamy and coating and ends astringent and puckering.

Drinkability is fantastic. I could enjoy this all day.

I love this IPA to the bitter end and I wish Portsmouth would put it on more often.

2.94/5  rDev -28.1%

C: Hazy
H: Dark Golden Yellow (Copper?)
N: HMM Soap? Citrus, and Hints of Caramel

Well quite often beers bring me back to times in my life that I remember. While searching for that beer that is the “best”, you often come across beers that remind you of particular scents, flavors, or just flat out memories of something from the past. I often share my memories here for your reading pleasure. That said, this beer’s taste remind me of something that is quite personal.
I often travel home to see my parents and sister on the other coast of Florida. More times then not during the drive I need to swing off and take a bathroom break. This beer brings me back to all of those memories. WAIT…..noooo, not what you are thinking! You didn’t let me finish.
This beer tastes and smells just like the Turnpike Bathroom Hand Soap. Yep, Pink Liquid Soap! I could not get past the taste or the odor on this, and immediately began laughing to myself. While I typically enjoy having these beers again that jog such vibrant memories, I think I will have to pass on the 5 C’s. I really don’t enjoy thinking about rest stop bathrooms. Sorry Portsmouth!

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

I bought this beer to go from the Portsmouth Brewery when I went up there Sunday to purchase scratch tickets for the Kate the Great contest. I bought three of the 22 oz bottles upon the recommendation of a friend.

The beer poured a golden color with little white head. The aroma was of malt and some citrusy hops-ful of flavor. This wasn't one of my favorite beers from the Portsmouth Brewery, but definitely a decent beer in my book. I won six winning Kate the Great scratch tickets so picking up the bottles of this beer was just a bonus :)

Cheers!

3.58/5  rDev -12.5%

I was really looking forward to trying this beer, because my friend brought some back after winning 6 Kate the Great scratch tickets. The beer has a decent amount of hops in the nose but not in your face like I prefer. Mouthfeel was nice and taste had some a strong malt backbone. This beer reminded more of an English style ipa, but that could be because I have an affinity towards west coast/aggressively hopped ipas. Not a bad beer but not great either.
cheers

4.36/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a very attractive hazy orange from the growler into my snifter. A thin white head forms but quickly recedes and leaves behind just a skimming.

No surprise in the nose, hops, and plenty of them. Mostly fruity and citrusy notes. Taste is quite hoppy as well but there also a nice bready maltiness to balance things out perfectly. The citrus hops are the most noticeable. It's a smooth citrus flavor unlike other IPA's that can have a strong grapefruit flavor. Plenty of bitterness follows each sip but it's not overpowering.

Hop lovers will love this one but everyone will enjoy it for it's smooth drinkabilty. Flavor seems to disappear off the palate a little quickly, but this is the only real complaint I have, and it's a minor one. Very nice effort from Portsmouth Brewery. Me and the wife will have no problem finishing this growler.

4.02/5  rDev -1.7%

Big thanks to Ben for this bottle.

Pours a hazy golden amber that clears up as it warms and shows a small soapy beige head that never recedes completely and leaves only spotty lacing.

Aroma is full of pithy citrus and resinous pine. There are some spicy, herbal notes as well as a lightly toasted malt presence.

The taste is highly astringent at first with pithy grapefruit and pine, especially in the finish. As it warms, it mellows a bit with the sweet caramel malts and more of the juicy citrus showing up.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and sticky with hops lingering on the palate making for a bitter finish.

A hop-forward IPA from Portsmouth that's pretty heavy on the astringency but not as flavorful as I would like give the huge hop profile.

Tap at brew pub.

Light fizzy head with lacing, hazy golden orange.

Nose light pine citrus, some fresh hop must, light grassy hops, very light malty base, sweet hoppy fruits.

Taste is fairly bitter, lots of fresh musty hop resins, little oils too, some pine, touch of citrus and tropical fruit, but pine dominates, light juicy fruit. Long bitter finish, dries a bit, lots of musty hops.

Mouth is med with decent carb.

Drink is decent, no booze but long bitterness that builds.

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to CooperEllis for the bottle which I'm consuming after playing football. There's an excellent lacing and a half finger head when you pour it out. Some head remains and there's walking legs, which is pretty impressive for a low alcohol India Pale Ale. It's amber and golden hued, and it's hazy.

The beer smells like the hops that it features, which is a blend of crystal, chinook, centennial, cascade, and columbus. Hard to find 5 that go so smoothly together. This one reminds me a bit of Bell's Two Hearted. It tastes that way too, with a bite coming at the start, and some bitter lingering at the end. Malts and grapefruit and pine in the middle.

Smooth, well carbonated, easy to put back with lunch post football. I really enjoyed this one.

Now to work on getting my knee to bend properly.

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

On cask at the brewpub on November 6, 2010.

Poured a nice copper color with a really strong bone-white head and quite a bit of lacing as the brew went down the side of the pint glass. The nose brought, of course, a good dose of American C-hops. I picked out some mild orange and citrus rind plus a light touch of pine.

The taste was a bit more restrained and there was some moderate citrus flavor going on, though not quite as much as with the nose. The dry-hopping likely hit the nose a lot harder, at least from what I can tell. Nice strongly-bitter mouthfeel. A really nice beer and particularly enjoyable on cask.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Presentation: On tap downstairs at the Brewery. Poured into a pint glass and served slightly chilled.

Appearance: Gold to amber in color with almost no head or retention. No sediment or haze at all.

Aroma: Strong pine and grapefruit notes from the hops are assertive. Pretty hop-centric, not getting much from the malt at all.

Taste: Nice balance of assertive bitter pine hop notes and some nice sweet citrus, although the pine hops are certainly more noticable. Again, there is some malt in the background, but the hops are front and center. Reminds me a ton of Smuttynose Finestkind.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and crisp. Very smooth and refreshing.

Drinkability: Even with the strong flavors, I feel like I could sip on these all night. A really enjoyable IPA.

Overall, I really liked this IPA. I prefer this to their other IPA, Bottle Rocket, although that is also good. Just a really nice IPA with a strong hop profile. Something I will order whenever I see it on tap.

4.07/5  rDev -0.5%

Big thanks to joepais for hooking me up with a box of Portsmouth awesomeness! 22 oz. bomber poured into a tulip.

A: Cloudy copper color. The pour drops a two finger, cream colored head that recedes to a thin rim and leaves really nice sheets of lace.

A: Sweet crystal malt and tons of hops. Mango, pineapple, and clementine orange, with a touch of grass. The sweet malt balances the hops quite nicely.

T: Again, very citrusy. Loads of mango and pineapple, with sweet pine sap and honey. Alcohol is noticeable, but not prominent. Finishes dry but sweet.

M: Medium body. Lower carbonation makes for a somewhat sticky mouthfeel.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is above average but not outstanding. Overall, I think this is a pretty solid example of the style. If I didn't know this was a single IPA, I would have sworn it was a double. Big malts backing up the hops here. But really good, and I am very glad I got to try. Skal.

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

On tap at the brewery for my brother-in-law's 21st b-day.

A - Amber pour with a thin white head.

S - Pine hops, sweet caramel malts, some grass/earthy tones.

T - Delicious. Grapefruit, citrus, pine hops, caramel sweetness, some toasty flavors, and crisp bitter finish.

M - Moderate carbonation and sticky.

D - Ordered 3 of these. Too bad I didn't have an empty growler with me to get more. Love this beer.

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

22 oz bottle, shared by 321Jeff

First beer I've tried from Portsmouth. Pours a cloudy amber orange color with no visible sediment. Large off white head, that fades to a thin bubbly film and ring with minimal lacing. Aroma is fairly mild and restrained, primarily focused on the hops (piney and citrus) with a slight malt backbone. Not overly complex or strong, but pleasant. This is a very nicely balanced, citrus resiny IPA. Didn't blow me away, but was very enjoyable, crisp with pleasant bitterness.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Had on tap excellent wanted to pick up a bottle or two in the gift shop. They were out decided against getting a growler (what was I thinking). Here is the review.

A - Bright orange nice head poured into a pint glass at the brewery.

S - Wonderful hop forward orange, citrus just nice.

T - Again light "balanced" just a tasted a touch of malts and the awesome hop character. Citruis abound can't believe this is only 6.5%

M - Again nice tingiling feel smoothness just a nice feel.

D - Had two could have had a bunch more absolutely lovely.

I know Portsmouth rotates their beers this should be in their regular rotation.

I would have liked to try this from the bottle and kicked myself once home that I didn't get at least a growler.

3.91/5  rDev -4.4%

Another new one from Portsmouth I had the pleasure of being able to try last night. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 10/16/2009.

The pour was easily the best part as the rich amber colored ale sat near perfect in the glass. Rich head of white on top settled down gradually into a nice web like lacing all along the glass. Aroma was a bit weak for me, light citrus hops, notes of pine and a light bit of buttery malts, but it all seemed just a bit too light for me to be honest. As I take the first sip initially a nice bite of piney hops hits me followed by a light tart hit of grapefruit. Warming brings out loads of caramel malts and a touch of a biscuit like flavor. Nice and smooth, medium body with very nice carbonation. ABV is well hidden as well and it makes for a nice and sessionable IPA.

Overall I think it could have used a bit more pop, especially in the aroma and a nice kick up of hops would not have hurt either, but I think it went quite well. I would not mind trying it again.

4.02/5  rDev -1.7%

Served into a standard pint glass at the Portsmouth Brewery.

I wonder if the glass just rinsed off by the bartender precluded solid head retention, because the head isn't too interested in sticking around at the moment. Regardless, there's a solid butterscotch body that's both cloudy and rustic. What head there is has a nice chunky seam. Carbonation is moderate; it works.

There is a big floral component but, at first, almost a sulphursish scent. There's slight citrus in there as one would expect from something called "5 C's" (Centennial, Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and...I forgot...thought it was Cluster but the bartender said Crystal). Off-sulphur thankfully makes an exit. In short (too late), this smells like a ballsy IPA.

Holy crap, that's a fresh hop pucker. All grapefruit rind, all the time. Slight light caramel malt backbone. Slight. One-trick pony? Maybe. I'll give the benefit of the doubt; consider Major Charles Emerson Winchester the Thiiiddd: "I do one thing...I do it very well...and then...I move on."

Gotta love the tight hop pucker on this one. Even better on the palate feel than on the taste buds. It may be a little green but it is quite good.

Truthfully, this one burns a little. Not from the booze but the hops. This is like sucking on a hop flower. Crazy. Still, quite an enjoyable pour.

3.86/5  rDev -5.6%

Had two of these on tap at the Portsmouth Brewery.
Hazy orange color, with a decent head that dissipates quickly. Initially, the smell up front was kind of strange... not overly unpleasant, but something I'd not experienced with an IPA before. Beyond that, nice citrus and grassy scents.
Really awesome tasting beer, with fruity hoppiness, not a whole lot of malt. I think I prefer the Bottle Rocket, as I recall it was a little crisper, but having said that this is still an excellent IPA. Going to go back and try it again, I think the initial scent kind of threw me off but certainly did not scare me off. As with nearly all the selections at the Portsmouth Brewery, it's a beer worth stopping in for.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

22oz bomber purchased at the brewery on 8/8/09. Poured into a Portsmouth goblet.

A - Pours a cloudy orange with hints of brown. Looks yeasty, but no signs of sediment in the bottle. Lots of extremely fine bubbles raise to the top after the pour and eventually form a thin head which almost immediately recedes to spotty islands of bubbles on the surface. Very thin collar forms also.

S - Lots of citrusy and piney hops in the aroma with some less prominant spicyness detected too. Not over the top hops like many west coast style IPA's, but very complex. Minimal malt comes through in this one as sweet and biscuity hints.

T - Pine flavors dominate here. Very fresh and resiny. Grapefruity citrus flavors are holding their own here too. Nice sharp bitterness that lingers. Just enough sweetness from the malts to balance this one out, without stealing the stage from the hops. Very crisp and flavorful - pretty impressive.

M - Mouthfeel is very good in this IPA. Medium body, a little bit sticky/resiny feel that lets the hops linger a good, long time on the tongue. Ample, but very fine carbonation rounds this one out nicely...lively but not harsh.

D - Really nice IPA, very crisp and bitter with lots of hop flavor. Great IPA - only 6.5%, but feels stronger, a tad heavy and filling...couldn't stay with this one all night and still feel good in the morning, but I think it might be worth it.

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

A: Served in a pint glass. The body is a hazy copper/orange color. The head is frothy and thick and leaves nice lacing down the side of the glass.

S: A subdued blend of pine/floral/citrus/grassy hops.

T: A little too spicy, but the rest of the flavor is really nice. There is some definite pine and citrus aspects to the taste. I am assuming they use an English ale yeast, because the malt flavors aren't in your face, but they definitely don't run and hide like in a west coast styled IPA.

M: Medium bodied and well carbonated.

to view more.