Portsmouth 5 C's IPA - Portsmouth Brewery

Portsmouth 5 C's IPAPortsmouth 5 C's IPA

Portsmouth Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Our interpretation of a West Coast IPA is golden, medium-bodied ale that is very hop forward. The use of Cascade, Chinook, Columbus, Centennial and Crystal hops makes this beer a hophead’s dream.

(Beer added by: joepais on 09-04-2008)
Reviews by dciBA:
4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a very attractive hazy orange from the growler into my snifter. A thin white head forms but quickly recedes and leaves behind just a skimming.

No surprise in the nose, hops, and plenty of them. Mostly fruity and citrusy notes. Taste is quite hoppy as well but there also a nice bready maltiness to balance things out perfectly. The citrus hops are the most noticeable. It's a smooth citrus flavor unlike other IPA's that can have a strong grapefruit flavor. Plenty of bitterness follows each sip but it's not overpowering.

Hop lovers will love this one but everyone will enjoy it for it's smooth drinkabilty. Flavor seems to disappear off the palate a little quickly, but this is the only real complaint I have, and it's a minor one. Very nice effort from Portsmouth Brewery. Me and the wife will have no problem finishing this growler.

dciBA, Jan 23, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

A seriously good beer. I could drink a lot of these, except that my palate would be numb for a long time afterward. Hazy orange color with a medium-sized white head and some nice lacing. Big hops aroma, both floral and citrus, with neither one standing out. No surprise, a big hops taste also. I think a little more on the grapefruit side, but also some pine. A dry finish. Thoroughly enjoyable; I hope it's still on tap when I get back there next week.

lordofthewiens, Sep 13, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks joepais for this growler in the Growling at the Moon - The Daylight Growling Time edition. This is my first beer from Portsmouth, thanks so much Joe!

A - A bit hazy not quite cloudy, but golden colored with orange hues when held to the light. The head from the pour was about one-finger's worth with a good amount a lacing left behind on the glass as I drink it down.

S - I really loved the smell from this one! Nice bouquet of floral hops and citrus hops. Honestly I couldn't stop smelling this one over and over!!

T/M - Lives up to the smell in the hops department. Hops from the beginning. The story starts with some citrusy hops. They are gently brushed to side by some spicy notes with a little pine sprinkled in there for good measure. Despite the bitterness as you swallow it is smooth and velvety. The carbonation on this one is great, soft and just enough to keep you coming back for more. Medium mouthfeel, but the thing that hold on in your mouth is those hops!! GREAT!!

D - Simply fantastic! For all the hops in this guy, I'm impressed how easy it is to drink. At 6.5% with a ton of hops I would (if I could) drink this all the time. But one growler (with one pint going to my wife) in a night will have to do for now.

If all the other Portsmouth beers are this good, I understand the hype!! Thanks so much Joe!!

dashirey, Mar 02, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

I'm reviewing this after the EBF 09.
Waiting for supper, on my iPhone.

A. Hazy orange with off white head... Nice lacing

S. Citrus... grape fruit up front in the nose. Hops hops and more hops!!!

T. Citrus then sweet biscuit malt.

M. Crisp, hops, pine, citrus....

D. Well balanced for 6.5% a hoppy IPA... I've had two! Yum

mikeale, Feb 22, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

On tap at the brewery on 2/20/09. Served in an Imperial Pint glass.

Pours a somewhat hazy organge copper with a finger of smooth and creamy brite-white head. Retention skims the surface, with a nice rich and frothy look that just drenches the sides of the glass with thick lacing. The aroma is very West Coast smelling, with a ton of floral, herbal, and spicy accents; but there is also an underlying and nicely balancing sweet tang of tropical fruits and caramel malts.

The taste starts with a nicely assertive bitterness that grips the tongue from the get-go, leaving a sticky (at first) and then more dry and spicy lingering feel on the palate. Much like the nose, all of this hop character is well balanced by a silky and tangy mix of citrus and bready caramel malt sweetness that actually works it's way into and lingers in the finish as well. The mouthfeel is exceptionally slick and creamy feeling and just slides down the throat effortlessly.

Wow! Portsmouth just continues to impress me with what they do and this was yet another hoppy offering that just blew me away. Packed with a ton of West Coast character and the feel and drinkibility of this was obscene. Very nice!

Kegatron, Feb 24, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

Another new one from Portsmouth I had the pleasure of being able to try last night. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 10/16/2009.

The pour was easily the best part as the rich amber colored ale sat near perfect in the glass. Rich head of white on top settled down gradually into a nice web like lacing all along the glass. Aroma was a bit weak for me, light citrus hops, notes of pine and a light bit of buttery malts, but it all seemed just a bit too light for me to be honest. As I take the first sip initially a nice bite of piney hops hits me followed by a light tart hit of grapefruit. Warming brings out loads of caramel malts and a touch of a biscuit like flavor. Nice and smooth, medium body with very nice carbonation. ABV is well hidden as well and it makes for a nice and sessionable IPA.

Overall I think it could have used a bit more pop, especially in the aroma and a nice kick up of hops would not have hurt either, but I think it went quite well. I would not mind trying it again.

mikesgroove, Oct 17, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

jmilo64, Feb 20, 2012

andylipp, Jan 12, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -16.1%

A: Served in a pint glass. The body is a hazy copper/orange color. The head is frothy and thick and leaves nice lacing down the side of the glass.

S: A subdued blend of pine/floral/citrus/grassy hops.

T: A little too spicy, but the rest of the flavor is really nice. There is some definite pine and citrus aspects to the taste. I am assuming they use an English ale yeast, because the malt flavors aren't in your face, but they definitely don't run and hide like in a west coast styled IPA.

M: Medium bodied and well carbonated.

gameface23, Aug 09, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Served into a standard pint glass at the Portsmouth Brewery.

I wonder if the glass just rinsed off by the bartender precluded solid head retention, because the head isn't too interested in sticking around at the moment. Regardless, there's a solid butterscotch body that's both cloudy and rustic. What head there is has a nice chunky seam. Carbonation is moderate; it works.

There is a big floral component but, at first, almost a sulphursish scent. There's slight citrus in there as one would expect from something called "5 C's" (Centennial, Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and...I forgot...thought it was Cluster but the bartender said Crystal). Off-sulphur thankfully makes an exit. In short (too late), this smells like a ballsy IPA.

Holy crap, that's a fresh hop pucker. All grapefruit rind, all the time. Slight light caramel malt backbone. Slight. One-trick pony? Maybe. I'll give the benefit of the doubt; consider Major Charles Emerson Winchester the Thiiiddd: "I do one thing...I do it very well...and then...I move on."

Gotta love the tight hop pucker on this one. Even better on the palate feel than on the taste buds. It may be a little green but it is quite good.

Truthfully, this one burns a little. Not from the booze but the hops. This is like sucking on a hop flower. Crazy. Still, quite an enjoyable pour.

IBUnit63, Oct 08, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Had on tap excellent wanted to pick up a bottle or two in the gift shop. They were out decided against getting a growler (what was I thinking). Here is the review.

A - Bright orange nice head poured into a pint glass at the brewery.

S - Wonderful hop forward orange, citrus just nice.

T - Again light "balanced" just a tasted a touch of malts and the awesome hop character. Citruis abound can't believe this is only 6.5%

M - Again nice tingiling feel smoothness just a nice feel.

D - Had two could have had a bunch more absolutely lovely.

I know Portsmouth rotates their beers this should be in their regular rotation.

I would have liked to try this from the bottle and kicked myself once home that I didn't get at least a growler.

Casey10, Jan 09, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

I got this is the Under 100 BIF from joepais. Thanks Joe! My first Portsmouth brew..
Pours a slightly chilled clear medium-light amber with a smallish white head that doesn't stick around long. This has great clarity and looks very inviting.
Smells very nice. Nothing really stands out for me. The hop/malt aroma kind of blends together, interesting.
This has a very interesting taste to it. I get malts up front, then nice citrus hops in the back, and after those I get an interesting spiciness at the end. I'm having a hard time pin-pointing it, but it really helps fill this beer out and also helps it stand out. Also a nice dryness at the end. I like this. Edit: Had to raise the taste grade, it was too low for this good of a beer.
5C's has a great mouthfeel. It's got a nice bitter/spicy bite, but it doesn't overpower my palate. Leaves a pleasant aftertaste.
I have a hard time putting the glass down, so the drinkability is very high. A very well made beer for sure. I am very excited to try more of their brews, and I will as I have 4 more different ones form Joe. A very nice IPA.

Packforever1976, Sep 25, 2008
3.91/5  rDev -4.9%

I forgot about Crystal. I was going to guess Citra. I guess that's for 6 C's.

Golden orange with a sticky head. Lasting retention.

Sappy pine and citrus leap out of the bottle but take awhile to emerge from a dense foamy head once in the glass. Doughy malt. Smells like freshly picked peaches once it's been sitting in my glass for a bit.

Plenty bitter, the bitterness overshoots the hop flavors in my opinion. Orangey grapefruit up front with the aforementioned pine sap bitter upon swallowing.

There's so many great IPAs out there right now this very good IPA doesn't stack up. That's not so much a knock on 5Cs but a testament to the recent explosion of fine hoppy beers.

Thanks to Kate and Dana for picking this up.

donkeyrunner, Feb 23, 2014

phingdong, Feb 01, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

Had on draft at the Portsmouth Brewery, poured into a pint glass.

The appearance is a slightly foggy amber/orange, very cloudy and light around the edges.

The smell is grapefruit and citrus, but much more mild than a west coast example of the style. There are tones of lemon and fresh cut grass as underneath, but not much malt, this beer is all hops in the nose.

The taste is a bitter/citrusy splash of grapefruit on the tongue that is quickly dried out by an equally bitter but somewhat mild pine flavor. There isn't much malt to this beer, just a slight fruity sweetness that is very welcome.

The beer is perfectly carbonated and for a beer this hoppy it is also relatively low in alcohol at 6.5%. It is very bitter, dry and citrusy, but something that I could drink all night long. It has all the characteristics of a west coast DIPA as far as the hop and citrus characteristics are concerned, but they keep the sugary sweet characteristics out. In my opinion this is better than the Bottle Rocket IPA (also from Portsmouth), the Torpedo, Smuttynose Finest Kind and most other standard IPAs available; it's one of the finest beers that they have brewed at the Portsmouth Brewery yet.

rpstevens, Aug 08, 2009

Gingerfart, Sep 06, 2014
4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from a growler filled at the bar last week. I sealed it with electrical tape and kept it in the frige for one week unopened.

Appearance is a very cloudy dark luminous orange (practically opaque) with a small, creamy offwhite head. The head drops to a film quickly but leaves diaphanous panels of remembrance down the sides of the glass.

Scent is first floral and citrus with Portsmouth's characteristic fresh bread notes. On further inspection grapefruit and pine emerge.

I love the unmistakable tangy (almost like sourdough) and crusty fresh bread flavor Portmouth IPA's always have. It's like breaking open a steaming hot loaf of sourdough bread fresh from the oven and enjoying the moist tangy chewy doughy flesh and slightly bitter, slightly charred crisp crust. 5 C's shares that malt character with Bottle Rocket but has a greater citrus content. Primarily grapefruit with lime peel and orange pith. Earthy and spicy hops. Dry fragrant pine appears on the backend with a gathering bitterness that builds and lingers. The balance is remarkable; this ale is all about hops, yet the malt character is such a present and satisfying part of this ale.

Mouth begins creamy and coating and ends astringent and puckering.

Drinkability is fantastic. I could enjoy this all day.

I love this IPA to the bitter end and I wish Portsmouth would put it on more often.

sethmeister, Jun 25, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -6.8%

On cask at the brewpub on November 6, 2010.

Poured a nice copper color with a really strong bone-white head and quite a bit of lacing as the brew went down the side of the pint glass. The nose brought, of course, a good dose of American C-hops. I picked out some mild orange and citrus rind plus a light touch of pine.

The taste was a bit more restrained and there was some moderate citrus flavor going on, though not quite as much as with the nose. The dry-hopping likely hit the nose a lot harder, at least from what I can tell. Nice strongly-bitter mouthfeel. A really nice beer and particularly enjoyable on cask.

Thorpe429, Nov 14, 2010

Syraquse, Apr 07, 2014

Tap at brew pub.

Light fizzy head with lacing, hazy golden orange.

Nose light pine citrus, some fresh hop must, light grassy hops, very light malty base, sweet hoppy fruits.

Taste is fairly bitter, lots of fresh musty hop resins, little oils too, some pine, touch of citrus and tropical fruit, but pine dominates, light juicy fruit. Long bitter finish, dries a bit, lots of musty hops.

Mouth is med with decent carb.

Drink is decent, no booze but long bitterness that builds.

jlindros, Jan 21, 2011

nathanjohnson, Nov 18, 2011

noyellowfizzbeer, Jan 18, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

markasparov, Jun 13, 2012

NHhomebrewguy, Sep 13, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

Thanks to Joepais for this bottle.
Poured from 22oz bottle into a Silly Scotch tulip.
Poured a glass for me and a glass for a buddy. first glass was poured down the side of the glass then the middle trying for head, got almost none. The second glass was poured striaght down the midle from a hieght of 8" this left a one finger head that lasts and leaves moderate lacing.
Smells are light and hoppy.
Taste is hoppy with a light malt character. Has a good hop bite to it.
Has a light mouthfeel.
I would try this one again.

Kempleton, Sep 28, 2008