Portsmouth 5 C's IPA - Portsmouth Brewery

Portsmouth 5 C's IPAPortsmouth 5 C's IPA

Portsmouth Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Our interpretation of a West Coast IPA is golden, medium-bodied ale that is very hop forward. The use of Cascade, Chinook, Columbus, Centennial and Crystal hops makes this beer a hophead’s dream.

(Beer added by: joepais on 09-04-2008)
3.63/5  rDev -11.2%

3.25/5  rDev -20.5%

3.52/5  rDev -13.9%

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

This is a case of preference, not really quality... I happen to come of age in Portland and started drinking west coast hop bombs, don't get me wrong, the very best west coast hop bombs. But, I realized that I strongly prefer balance to my beer.

Thus, the 5Cs is one of my favorite hoppy IPAs. I almost always want a bit more body than I get, but, I'll put back a few pints of these any time it's on.

3.91/5  rDev -4.4%

I forgot about Crystal. I was going to guess Citra. I guess that's for 6 C's.

Golden orange with a sticky head. Lasting retention.

Sappy pine and citrus leap out of the bottle but take awhile to emerge from a dense foamy head once in the glass. Doughy malt. Smells like freshly picked peaches once it's been sitting in my glass for a bit.

Plenty bitter, the bitterness overshoots the hop flavors in my opinion. Orangey grapefruit up front with the aforementioned pine sap bitter upon swallowing.

There's so many great IPAs out there right now this very good IPA doesn't stack up. That's not so much a knock on 5Cs but a testament to the recent explosion of fine hoppy beers.

Thanks to Kate and Dana for picking this up.

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

4.5/5  rDev +10%

4.49/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

64oz Growler

This is yet another great beer received from the man himself Kegatron, thanks again Heath! 5 Cs IPA has a body that glows sunset orange with a slight haziness throughout. The dish soap white head rises to two fingers on the pour and barely settles below that. The head is super creamy with sticky lacing covering the glass 100%. It's been awhile since I've seen a head take hold such as this one. This is one fine looking IPA to put it lightly.

Big juicy, fruity citrus greets me the second I jam my beak down into the glass. Grapefruit, tangerine, and even some mango jump out while an undercurrent of pine holds it's own in the back. The pine actually stands out more with the deeper pulls I take off this brew. The citrus is of the sweetened, candied variety and sits atop a rich caramel backbone. There is a good deal of hops tossed into this IPA and the aromas range from citrus to pine and spicy to herbal all at once. There's a very complex hoppiness to the nose.

All those hop complexities wash across the tongue with each sip. Caramel and a somewhat sweet almost tea like quality lay down the base for the generous hopping. The hops come across as citrusy up front (grapefruit, orange, and tangerine) while they're met with a nice spicy character. The piney, resinous quality doesn't come across until the swallow and slaps down a solid layer of bitterness that I'm hugely fond of. The resin lingers on my tongue long after each drink has disappeared.

The mouthfeel couldn't get much better. A soft carbonation and a moderate body make for an incredibly velvety feel. The bitterness lingers along the sides of the tongue and in the throat.

Drinkability is way up there. A pint disappears far too quickly. While the hops bring some bitterness it never gets too much to enjoy multiple glasses.

Portsmouth brews some great beers and 5 C's is right up there at the top. This really is a good IPA, one I'd love to be able to pick up in this area. I'd pass by a lot of others on the shelves to get to this one. Thanks for the great brew Heath, send more!

Reviewed: 2/28/09