Portsmouth 5 C's IPA - Portsmouth Brewery

Portsmouth 5 C's IPAPortsmouth 5 C's IPA

Portsmouth Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: joepais on 09-04-2008

Our interpretation of a West Coast IPA is golden, medium-bodied ale that is very hop forward. The use of Cascade, Chinook, Columbus, Centennial and Crystal hops makes this beer a hophead’s dream.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 83 | Reviews: 37
4.5/5  rDev +10%

Had on draft at the Portsmouth Brewery, poured into a pint glass.

The appearance is a slightly foggy amber/orange, very cloudy and light around the edges.

The smell is grapefruit and citrus, but much more mild than a west coast example of the style. There are tones of lemon and fresh cut grass as underneath, but not much malt, this beer is all hops in the nose.

The taste is a bitter/citrusy splash of grapefruit on the tongue that is quickly dried out by an equally bitter but somewhat mild pine flavor. There isn't much malt to this beer, just a slight fruity sweetness that is very welcome.

The beer is perfectly carbonated and for a beer this hoppy it is also relatively low in alcohol at 6.5%. It is very bitter, dry and citrusy, but something that I could drink all night long. It has all the characteristics of a west coast DIPA as far as the hop and citrus characteristics are concerned, but they keep the sugary sweet characteristics out. In my opinion this is better than the Bottle Rocket IPA (also from Portsmouth), the Torpedo, Smuttynose Finest Kind and most other standard IPAs available; it's one of the finest beers that they have brewed at the Portsmouth Brewery yet.

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

A big thanks to soccerman7 who brought this to me at the Captain Lawrence Cuvee De Castleton Batch 3 release yesterday!

Appearance: Very nice orange amber with dirty honey folds and a slightly off white crown. Lots of retention and lacing. The crown has a nice oily sheen luring me in for a smell.

Smell: Lots of floral hops, herbal notes, some pine resin and spices.

Taste: Oh wow this one is good. Well crafted, non-abrasive hop bitterness up front and a slightly sweet english or possibly caramel malt. Extremely well balanced to me.

Mouthfeel: Oh is this one a gem. Medium bodied and slightly creamy yet crisp if that is possible?

Drinkability: Not only could I drink these all day, I want to!

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Thanks joepais for this growler in the Growling at the Moon - The Daylight Growling Time edition. This is my first beer from Portsmouth, thanks so much Joe!

A - A bit hazy not quite cloudy, but golden colored with orange hues when held to the light. The head from the pour was about one-finger's worth with a good amount a lacing left behind on the glass as I drink it down.

S - I really loved the smell from this one! Nice bouquet of floral hops and citrus hops. Honestly I couldn't stop smelling this one over and over!!

T/M - Lives up to the smell in the hops department. Hops from the beginning. The story starts with some citrusy hops. They are gently brushed to side by some spicy notes with a little pine sprinkled in there for good measure. Despite the bitterness as you swallow it is smooth and velvety. The carbonation on this one is great, soft and just enough to keep you coming back for more. Medium mouthfeel, but the thing that hold on in your mouth is those hops!! GREAT!!

D - Simply fantastic! For all the hops in this guy, I'm impressed how easy it is to drink. At 6.5% with a ton of hops I would (if I could) drink this all the time. But one growler (with one pint going to my wife) in a night will have to do for now.

If all the other Portsmouth beers are this good, I understand the hype!! Thanks so much Joe!!

4.5/5  rDev +10%

On tap at the brewery on 2/20/09. Served in an Imperial Pint glass.

Pours a somewhat hazy organge copper with a finger of smooth and creamy brite-white head. Retention skims the surface, with a nice rich and frothy look that just drenches the sides of the glass with thick lacing. The aroma is very West Coast smelling, with a ton of floral, herbal, and spicy accents; but there is also an underlying and nicely balancing sweet tang of tropical fruits and caramel malts.

The taste starts with a nicely assertive bitterness that grips the tongue from the get-go, leaving a sticky (at first) and then more dry and spicy lingering feel on the palate. Much like the nose, all of this hop character is well balanced by a silky and tangy mix of citrus and bready caramel malt sweetness that actually works it's way into and lingers in the finish as well. The mouthfeel is exceptionally slick and creamy feeling and just slides down the throat effortlessly.

Wow! Portsmouth just continues to impress me with what they do and this was yet another hoppy offering that just blew me away. Packed with a ton of West Coast character and the feel and drinkibility of this was obscene. Very nice!

4.82/5  rDev +17.8%

I'm reviewing this after the EBF 09.
Waiting for supper, on my iPhone.

A. Hazy orange with off white head... Nice lacing

S. Citrus... grape fruit up front in the nose. Hops hops and more hops!!!

T. Citrus then sweet biscuit malt.

M. Crisp, hops, pine, citrus....

D. Well balanced for 6.5% a hoppy IPA... I've had two! Yum

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Big thanks to Reagan1984 for this gem!

Appearance: Pours hazy copper-gold with lots of suspended yeast. Loose, rocky, white head has low retention but leaves great chunky lacing!

Smell: Lots of caramel; toasted caramel malts. Pine hops, grapefruit, and a bit of nuttiness round it out. Smells sweet and refreshing like a fresh forest rain.

Taste: Caramel, fresh-baked bread, pine hops, some tangy citrus. Nice balance, pleasant taste. Aftertaste is mildly bitter, but very clean.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and creamy yet crisp (if that makes sense). Carbonation is higher than I'd like. I don't know - this just feels a little too fizzy/crisp. I'm not really diggin the bite.

Drinkability: This is a very nice IPA. I've certainly had better, however the balance in 5 C's is great. While I don't like the mouthfeel too much, the taste and smell are very enjoyable. A very smooth IPA.

3.71/5  rDev -9.3%

Thanks to Joepais for this bottle.
Poured from 22oz bottle into a Silly Scotch tulip.
Poured a glass for me and a glass for a buddy. first glass was poured down the side of the glass then the middle trying for head, got almost none. The second glass was poured striaght down the midle from a hieght of 8" this left a one finger head that lasts and leaves moderate lacing.
Smells are light and hoppy.
Taste is hoppy with a light malt character. Has a good hop bite to it.
Has a light mouthfeel.
I would try this one again.

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

I got this is the Under 100 BIF from joepais. Thanks Joe! My first Portsmouth brew..
Pours a slightly chilled clear medium-light amber with a smallish white head that doesn't stick around long. This has great clarity and looks very inviting.
Smells very nice. Nothing really stands out for me. The hop/malt aroma kind of blends together, interesting.
This has a very interesting taste to it. I get malts up front, then nice citrus hops in the back, and after those I get an interesting spiciness at the end. I'm having a hard time pin-pointing it, but it really helps fill this beer out and also helps it stand out. Also a nice dryness at the end. I like this. Edit: Had to raise the taste grade, it was too low for this good of a beer.
5C's has a great mouthfeel. It's got a nice bitter/spicy bite, but it doesn't overpower my palate. Leaves a pleasant aftertaste.
I have a hard time putting the glass down, so the drinkability is very high. A very well made beer for sure. I am very excited to try more of their brews, and I will as I have 4 more different ones form Joe. A very nice IPA.

4.32/5  rDev +5.6%

A seriously good beer. I could drink a lot of these, except that my palate would be numb for a long time afterward. Hazy orange color with a medium-sized white head and some nice lacing. Big hops aroma, both floral and citrus, with neither one standing out. No surprise, a big hops taste also. I think a little more on the grapefruit side, but also some pine. A dry finish. Thoroughly enjoyable; I hope it's still on tap when I get back there next week.

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

The beer poured with a thin one finger head that was white and foamy. The head slowly receded back into the beer then got working on leaving a nice amount of lacing on the inside of the glass. The beer was a clear copper/gold color (light bright amber) with no visible carbonation.

Aroma was huge, and of floral & perfume notes. There certainly was a slightly sweet and also baked bread aroma in the background. Very nice aroma.

Hop Monster flavor. This is a nice beer and I actually like it more than the Bottle Rocket (which is also very good) A nice combo of some real fresh hop notes and a fresh bread taste. Pine flavors, grapefruit and background sweetness are all evident. Big Cascade finish.

Mouth feel is medium bodied based on viscosity, but big based upon the hop presence.

Drinkability is high, as I love this beer. We were able to enjoy this today at Portsmouth Brewing. I brought home a couple bombers for trade and a growler for the next couple of days.

A very nice IPA.

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Stopped by today for lunch with #1 daughter Caitlin. Sat in the window area by the street, ate, quaffed and laxed...

Knowing this just came on, I just HAD to have some! Gots me an Imperial Pint (or 3!) of the 5 C's... Poured a smidge cloudy, with plentiful carbo rising within. Color was orangey-apricot, with a thin, fine, off-white head which left wispy traces o' lace in the glass. Aroma was robust, with a touch of malty sweetness being far outweighed by a healthy dose of citrussy hops. Body was solidly medium, and 5 passed rather nicely over the tongue, with only a light bit of carbo pricking things up.

After a "suggestion" of toasty malt sweetness, there came layer upon layer of hops which lay waste to the palate. Again, chitloads of citrus made their attack, with rindy grapefruit and pineapple coming forth, along with some tangerine-like characteristics. Hoppage lasts long and hard! Woo-hoo! Damn, this is a hop-lovers heaven!! And at a relatively easy 6.5% abv, it is supremely quaffable. Bring it!!

Zum Wohl!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | drink: 4.5

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

Donna poured me this hop bomb in a Imperial pint glass. When it arrived it had a fingers worth of white head that turned to a thick lace that slid down the glass as you drank it. The body was a clear orange yellow in color.

The aromas is very hop forward. Right of the bat you get the hit of citrus, lemons and grapefruit. It has a really great hop floral presence especially with the big wide mouth of a Imp pint glass placing your nose right in the brew.

Taste like hops and lots of them although you do get a nice sweet front note of crystal malts. Following that you get hit with the mouth drying grapefruit and pine resin bitter. The mouthfeel is medium with just the right amount of carbonation to keep this brew very drinkable.

The hops used for the 5 C's are Columbus, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook and Crystal, Plus Simcoe hops I guess that's where the 's comes in. This is the biggest Hop bomb I seen Portsmouth produce. If you are a Hop head you need to try this one, it is very drinkable. I had a few and I'm heading back for more

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »