Portsmouth 5 C's IPA - Portsmouth Brewery

Portsmouth 5 C's IPAPortsmouth 5 C's IPA

Portsmouth Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Our interpretation of a West Coast IPA is golden, medium-bodied ale that is very hop forward. The use of Cascade, Chinook, Columbus, Centennial and Crystal hops makes this beer a hophead’s dream.

(Beer added by: joepais on 09-04-2008)
davey101

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

On tap at the Portsmouth Brewery. Served in a pint glass. From notes.

A - Golden amber body. Two finger off white head that laces all the way down.

S - Grapefruit, pine, and some light bready caramel malt.

T - Great citrus flavors with some piney hop notes. Bready and sweet with a nice bitter finish. Mouth feel is slick and coating.

O - A really solid IPA. I wasn't amazed by it, but its a very easy drinking and flavorful IPA. I really dig the name and concept of the "C" ingredients.

06-09-2012 03:40:05 | More by davey101

11-14-2011 20:48:58 | More by BelgianDip
MasterSki

Ontario (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Big thanks to Reagan1984 - he keeps trying to find a Portsmouth beer I actually like and I appreciate his dedication and quixotic idealism. Served in a Russian River tulip.

A - A finger of white foam settles to a thin cap, thick collar, and spotty lacing. Lightly hazed golden orange body.

S - Citrus, pine, lightly toasted sugars, and an odd floral and perfume note that is reminiscent of aftershave and barber shops. Not sure which of the hops contributed that, but perhaps 4 Cs would be a better recipe. =)

S - Taste is an improvement, as the Old Spice flavor seems to have been limited to the aroma. A nice combination of citrus and pine malts mingle with a sugary malt backdrop. Bitterness is fairly light and only creeps up after half a glass.

M - Medium-bodied, lower carbonation, soft texture, and lots of residual hop oils and resins.

D - Other than the slightly odd aroma this was a solid and enjoyable IPA - definitely one of the better Portsmouth offerings I've had and something I'd consider trying on draft a their brewpub. I'm going to let me other bottle settle for a few more days to see if the odd aroma was due to travel-related "stress".

07-05-2011 13:12:08 | More by MasterSki
rudzud

3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

Picked up a bottle of this while at the brewery. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear orange/gold with a nice two finger white head that slowly fades to leave nice side lacing.

S - Shockingly average here. Getting some light bitter hops and somehow even lighter malt aromas.

T - Much better than the nose. Some light malts and the standard Portsmouth bread qualities. There are nice hop qualities, predominantly cascade with a good bitter finish.

M - Really nice mouthfeel here. Slightly creamy, slightly crisp, all around refreshing. Very sessionable.

O - This is a nice american ipa from portsmouth. Would like to try this a bit fresher, as I'm sure that explains the lack of a good nose.

06-29-2011 22:33:42 | More by rudzud
sethmeister

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a growler filled at the bar last week. I sealed it with electrical tape and kept it in the frige for one week unopened.

Appearance is a very cloudy dark luminous orange (practically opaque) with a small, creamy offwhite head. The head drops to a film quickly but leaves diaphanous panels of remembrance down the sides of the glass.

Scent is first floral and citrus with Portsmouth's characteristic fresh bread notes. On further inspection grapefruit and pine emerge.

I love the unmistakable tangy (almost like sourdough) and crusty fresh bread flavor Portmouth IPA's always have. It's like breaking open a steaming hot loaf of sourdough bread fresh from the oven and enjoying the moist tangy chewy doughy flesh and slightly bitter, slightly charred crisp crust. 5 C's shares that malt character with Bottle Rocket but has a greater citrus content. Primarily grapefruit with lime peel and orange pith. Earthy and spicy hops. Dry fragrant pine appears on the backend with a gathering bitterness that builds and lingers. The balance is remarkable; this ale is all about hops, yet the malt character is such a present and satisfying part of this ale.

Mouth begins creamy and coating and ends astringent and puckering.

Drinkability is fantastic. I could enjoy this all day.

I love this IPA to the bitter end and I wish Portsmouth would put it on more often.

06-25-2011 20:20:40 | More by sethmeister
DosBeerigos

2.95/5  rDev -28.6%

C: Hazy
H: Dark Golden Yellow (Copper?)
N: HMM Soap? Citrus, and Hints of Caramel

Well quite often beers bring me back to times in my life that I remember. While searching for that beer that is the “best”, you often come across beers that remind you of particular scents, flavors, or just flat out memories of something from the past. I often share my memories here for your reading pleasure. That said, this beer’s taste remind me of something that is quite personal.
I often travel home to see my parents and sister on the other coast of Florida. More times then not during the drive I need to swing off and take a bathroom break. This beer brings me back to all of those memories. WAIT…..noooo, not what you are thinking! You didn’t let me finish.
This beer tastes and smells just like the Turnpike Bathroom Hand Soap. Yep, Pink Liquid Soap! I could not get past the taste or the odor on this, and immediately began laughing to myself. While I typically enjoy having these beers again that jog such vibrant memories, I think I will have to pass on the 5 C’s. I really don’t enjoy thinking about rest stop bathrooms. Sorry Portsmouth!

04-26-2011 18:14:19 | More by DosBeerigos
Chincino

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

I bought this beer to go from the Portsmouth Brewery when I went up there Sunday to purchase scratch tickets for the Kate the Great contest. I bought three of the 22 oz bottles upon the recommendation of a friend.

The beer poured a golden color with little white head. The aroma was of malt and some citrusy hops-ful of flavor. This wasn't one of my favorite beers from the Portsmouth Brewery, but definitely a decent beer in my book. I won six winning Kate the Great scratch tickets so picking up the bottles of this beer was just a bonus :)

Cheers!

02-02-2011 12:05:42 | More by Chincino
Cmack15

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

I was really looking forward to trying this beer, because my friend brought some back after winning 6 Kate the Great scratch tickets. The beer has a decent amount of hops in the nose but not in your face like I prefer. Mouthfeel was nice and taste had some a strong malt backbone. This beer reminded more of an English style ipa, but that could be because I have an affinity towards west coast/aggressively hopped ipas. Not a bad beer but not great either.
cheers

02-02-2011 01:05:02 | More by Cmack15
dciBA

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a very attractive hazy orange from the growler into my snifter. A thin white head forms but quickly recedes and leaves behind just a skimming.

No surprise in the nose, hops, and plenty of them. Mostly fruity and citrusy notes. Taste is quite hoppy as well but there also a nice bready maltiness to balance things out perfectly. The citrus hops are the most noticeable. It's a smooth citrus flavor unlike other IPA's that can have a strong grapefruit flavor. Plenty of bitterness follows each sip but it's not overpowering.

Hop lovers will love this one but everyone will enjoy it for it's smooth drinkabilty. Flavor seems to disappear off the palate a little quickly, but this is the only real complaint I have, and it's a minor one. Very nice effort from Portsmouth Brewery. Me and the wife will have no problem finishing this growler.

01-23-2011 20:02:04 | More by dciBA
gford217

Georgia

Big thanks to Ben for this bottle.

Pours a hazy golden amber that clears up as it warms and shows a small soapy beige head that never recedes completely and leaves only spotty lacing.

Aroma is full of pithy citrus and resinous pine. There are some spicy, herbal notes as well as a lightly toasted malt presence.

The taste is highly astringent at first with pithy grapefruit and pine, especially in the finish. As it warms, it mellows a bit with the sweet caramel malts and more of the juicy citrus showing up.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and sticky with hops lingering on the palate making for a bitter finish.

A hop-forward IPA from Portsmouth that's pretty heavy on the astringency but not as flavorful as I would like give the huge hop profile.

01-23-2011 02:59:12 | More by gford217