Portsmouth Gose - Portsmouth Brewery

Portsmouth GosePortsmouth Gose

Portsmouth Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Gose |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 06-11-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Portsmouth Gose Alström Bros
2.9/5  rDev -26%

Lets say that I review this one because it probably will be the only one I ever see of the style.

The glass came to me with a minimal head that disappeared quickly. It was a murky hazy yellowish brown it reminded me of swamp water. Another interesting note on the appearance was you could see salt settled at the bottom of the glass after a while.

I am extremely sensitive to the hefe yeast strain Portsmouth uses so I just get the bananas and bubble gum coming from the glass most time this time I did however get a hint of coriander as well. The flavor was kind of unique to me almost bizarre. salty, sour, bananas I think would qualify as that. Again this is the first of the style I have tried and I will say I haven't met a beer I didn't like but ...it certainty a unique style. With a medium feel to it and light carbonation.

I hate to say it but it was a one and done for me. I do appreciated the chance at trying the style thanks guys

joepais, Jun 13, 2010

Jspriest, Nov 14, 2011

GrindFatherBob, Aug 08, 2013
3.13/5  rDev -20.2%

Got this bottle in the cooler at the brewery. Seasonal release, so let's try...

A: Murky banana yellow with slight hints of gold. A small thin white head that quickly fades. Decent.

S: Hints of malt and bready banana upfront with not much else going on. Kind of thin here. Blah.

T: Very light and refreshing. Kind of watery bready malt with a slight hint of bitter hop far on the backend. Kind of like a high end Bud. Ok.

M: Very light and crisp. Does not leave any noticeable tastes on the palate. Good for the style.

D: Goes down very easy. This one is definitely an easier brew to handle. Good.

All in all, this was an ok brew. A decent summer sipper if you get the chance to try. I'd recommend hunting down only if you're a fan of the Gose style. Otherwise, don't bother unless you have access to the brewery.

steve8robin, Jul 04, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

10/23/2011

Bottle shared by Stawn, thanks!

A: Cloudy yellow with a small white head.

S: Coriander, lots of coriander, with grainy malt and lemon. A little lemon peel.

T: Lots of coriander with notes of grain and a little salt. I get some lemon and a little vanilla. Coriander bomb.

M: Upper light body with moderate carbonation.

Overall: Far too much coriander.

HopHead84, Oct 24, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

oldp0rt, Jul 28, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

tom10101, Sep 02, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -15.8%

Received this rarity from CooperEllis... Thanks a ton John for an Epic Trade!! Shared with the Boise peeps over the weekend.

Nice rocky head.. descent lacing atop a hazy golden brew.

Nose immediately strikes me as pretty fruity... very reminiscent of a BPA.

Same flavor profile as the nose... hints of apple and pear... a bit flimsy with some minor spiciness... salt seems to be an afterthought, but it is present and does help tie things together.

Body is light with a sorta spritzy carbonation.

4/3.5/3/3.5/3.5

JohnGalt1, Dec 08, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

Tried this for the first time after randomly picking up a bottle from the brewery store. Poured it into a tulip glass.

A - Color was a pale yellow, akin to a pale ale. Had a very small white head that quickly dissipated, leaving essentially no lacing on the glass.

S - Smell was sweet, with some citrus and banana notes. Almost reminded me a bit of a belgian style beer, although not nearly to the same level of sweetness.

T - I didn't realize this was a wheat beer when I bought it, but it was immediately noticeable upon the first sip. Taste was wheaty with some lemon sweetness and then had a bit of a funky zing aftertaste. Light body and was fairly carbonated.

Overall, this was a refreshing beer to have while sitting outside on my deck in the middle of the summer. It didn't blow me away, but I'd probably try it again or others in the style.

drocpsu, Aug 05, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -14.5%

A - Pours a hazy golden color with a huge fluffy white head that looks like whipped egg whites. Fantastic retention, leaves a ton of soapy lacing on the glass.
S - Bready malt, sour apples, fresh-cut hay, lemon, and barnyard "funk". Nice nose, slightly tart and lactic.
T - Tart apple, lemon peel, sourdough bread, hay, coriander, and a definite copper-penny oxidized flavor. I'm not sure if this weird flavor is common to a Gose, but it's not particularly bad, just weird. There's a slight saltiness that's also interesting.
M - Crisp, thin body with sharp carbonation. Surprisingly refreshing.
D - I had no problem with the bottle, but this certainly isn't a beginner beer. If you like a good Berliner Weisse, keep an eye out for this one.

jsanford, Jan 19, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -12%

A: Thick white head that recedes quickly without leaving lacing.

S: Wheat and maybe a touch of coriander.

T: Bready, wheaty malt with the faintest touch of coriander (or am I imagining the coriander?). A very delicate saltiness at first that builds to an less pleasant level as I drink more. It turns a bit bitter (from the salt) towards the end and leaves my lips feeling like I've been swimming in the ocean.

M: Light and dry.

O: This bottle is maybe two months old, and maybe that affects the taste. I find the salt a little overwhelming, although the beer would probably be quite good with food. Alone, I didn't much care for it after the first few sips, but that would probably be the case for me with any gose.

greybeardloon, Nov 21, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from the bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy yellow/golden color with a finger of fluffy white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Light and crisp, some fruity notes along with a mild herbal quality. Slightly sweet, the fruit dominates the smell.

Taste: Very light and crisp with some bready malt. The fruit from the smell doesn't really show up here. There is a very mild herbal taste with a slight bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with aggressive, tingly carbonation and a very dry finish.

Overall: This one could have used a little bit more flavor. The herbal notes weren't strong enough. Nice and refreshing, but I'm not sure I'd have it again.

oline73, Dec 28, 2011

hiphopj5, Jun 21, 2012

beernads, Jul 02, 2013

XmnwildX12, Nov 04, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -9.9%

On tap at the brewpub. Pours a cloudy light gold with a small head. Nose is some grainy wheat sourness, lemon. Mouth is really grainy, bright wheat, sour mash, lemon, salt. Soft and grainy. Soft in the mouth. Apparently Portsmouth was the only brewery in the U.S. to make this style until a few years ago. Nice enough, nothing really exceptional but finely done.

JAXSON, Jul 27, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

Thanks to Kegatron for sharing this bomber with me. Poured into a matching Portsmouth snifter, this brew appears a clear golden color with a white frothy head. There is some yellowish coloration around the sides and a light swirl revives a finger of head.

The smell is fruity with almost a bubblegum candy sweetness. There is a very light note of apple vinegar and some minerals (sea salt?) The taste gets progressively more salty with every sip but never gets overbearing. Some minor fruit accents are evident a bit like apple blended with the previously described candy bubblegum notes.

This is a light bodied brew with a moderate amount of carbonation. There is seemingly no alcohol inclusion throughout. This was fairly easy drinking with the salt addition really coming out as it warms. I have not had a ton of Gose offering but of the ones I've tried, this one had the best saltiness factor but lacked a little bit in overall depth.

stakem, Jan 23, 2012

ChrisL24481, Jan 27, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured on tap at the brewery.

Cloudy in appearance with a nice cream looking off white head. Nice simple light gold body. Looks perfectly good.

Muted in smell but a nice simple light lemon sour.

Taste is very berlinerweisse in style but a little more fun. Simple lemon but also a feel of prickly schapps. I don't find this in the palate particularly tout or sour, but also brings a more breadier punch on the swallow. Texture is nicely light/medium bodied with just a good carbonation.

Overall this was alright for me for my first Gose style, I'll have to try more of this style sometime.

smakawhat, Jul 24, 2011