Portsmouth Dunkel Gose - Portsmouth Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Portsmouth Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Gose |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: ToasterChef on 11-26-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by deltatauhobbit:
deltatauhobbit

Maine

4.04/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle with a best by date of May 2013 under the title Dunkel Gose Lager.

Pours an amber color with about a finger and a half of head, very bubbly, fades at a fast rate, not much lacing on the glass.

Smell has a strong aroma of banana and some other light fruity scents, touch of clove.

Taste starts out with a wheat-y like flavor, light fruit, banana creeps in, salinity is a bit low for a Gose but that's fine, body is very light and crisp, carbonation is very active without being annoying, a very refreshing beer and easy to drink.

03-14-2013 20:04:54 | More by deltatauhobbit

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

04-23-2013 05:45:37 | More by Kelp
Rifugium

2.94/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of this in the Portsmouth shop, as it seemed the most interesting thing they had available. I shared it at a recent tasting.

Poured a hazy medium brown color with a thin cap of white head that fizzled out pretty much completely rather quickly. Aroma of toasted cereal grains and sweet sugary malts; not much else. Taste was pretty bland, caramel malt sweetness, stale toasted grains, and maybe a hint of citrus. Not much else to say. Light-medium body, and not very good overall. Everyone at the tasting had a sip, and half the bottle remained untouched.

Honestly I'm not really sure what the brewers were thinking with this beer. I mean, I can understand the lager part, I didn't really get anything otherwise comparable to a dunkel, and as for the gose part, maybe they threw in a dash of table salt and put the gose tag on it? Seemed like a patched-together mess, and I wouldn't get it again.

04-21-2013 10:23:36 | More by Rifugium

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

02-01-2012 23:11:59 | More by phingdong
jlindros

Tap at the brew pub.

Light fizzy head, hazy golden yellow color.

Light citrus, light toasty malts and wheat, light saison like malts and touch of spices, some light musty dry rustic malt aroma.

Taste light citrus, light malts and wheat, touch spices and saison, nice hops like hallertau with light floral and touch grassy. Light fruit juice and citrus. Finishes dry with touch bready malts, citrusy lemon, light malts.

Mouth is lighter bodied, decent carb.

Overall nice, light but nice flavor, nice light hops that shouldn't fit but somehow does, balanced with a nice light malty wheat profile, very sessionable.

10-16-2011 20:42:48 | More by jlindros
portia99

4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

22oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a hazed medium pale amber color with an overdeveloped rocky 4 fingers of foam that fills the glass past the rim. Head has excellent staying power lingering for several minutes and delaying my ability to get a full pour in the glass. Large spots of lacing get deposited on the glass as it finally finds its way to the surface.

S - Musty smelling like an old cellar. Lactic sourness surrounded by gym socks and horse manure. Very funky...this has some potential. Some mild orangey fruitiness, pronounced graininess and perhaps a bit of spice too.

T - Interesting...almost like a funkified Belgian witbier. Light and refreshing flavors - citrusy oranges and lemons, lingering spices, some cloves, soft bready malt, lactically tart with some earthy and barnyardy funk overtones. I have to say I'm a bit impressed.

M - Thinnish and light bodied with a sharp, very high carbonation. Prickly and tingly, perhaps bordering on painful carbonation levels...a bit foamy and a light cooling sensation fills the mouth - probably as a result of the spices here.

O - I don't have much experience with this style so don't have a lot to compare this against - but I have to say I really like this beer. Way funkier and lots more character than I expected. Sadly, this is gone from the brewpub...hopefully it makes another appearance in the future. Until then, I think I'll be seeking out more of this style for comparison, given the enjoyment I got out of this one.

04-23-2011 18:59:01 | More by portia99
bonkers

I got this as a Christmas gift from a friend. I poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a snifter. The aroma has sour lemons and cloves. It has a little spiciness and sweetness up front with a very pleasant tart finish that lingers. The body is light and it is well carbonated. My first gose and I liked it, would definitely try another.

12-29-2010 02:28:22 | More by bonkers
ThirstyBird

Germany

3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to EnronCFO for the bottle!!

Appears about the color of iced tea though hazy. Nice tan head falls slowly to a thick blanket.

Smells of wheat, spiciness, some malt and citrus.

Taste is Wheat, some banana a touch of salt and some spice on the dry aftertaste.

Body is medium and carbonation is very active..a bit too active for me.

Overall an interesting brew the carbonation is a touch rough but otherwise a tasty beer.

12-23-2010 23:38:05 | More by ThirstyBird
bcastine

3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

I had to buy this simply from the point that I figured something had to have gone wrong with one of the brews used for this blend. Like really, who sets out to blend a dunkelweizen and a gose, hell who even brews a gose nowadays lol. Anyways the flavors from this brew melided nicely, typical bavarian weizen yeast phenolics, bit of salt from the gose, wheat notes, nice brew. I do get a peppery note from this brew, did the Gose have a strong over the top peppery note requiring the blend? I did eat a couple taco's while enjoying this brew, maybe thats giving me the peppery note, but nice pairing none the less. This blend all came together rather nicely, nice brew!

12-11-2010 02:23:24 | More by bcastine
Jwale73

Rhode Island

Pours the color and clarity of cider with a quarter inch, loose, off-white head that eventually dissipates into a skim. Nose is somewhat herbal and expresses cloves and a light fruit quality. Taste follows nose; however, a salty character is definitely imparted in the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is light-medium, with an even, mild carbonation. All and all, a very easy drinking an interesting beer. Having never had a gose before, I have nothing to compare it to; however, it was thoroughly enjoyable.

12-04-2010 00:59:36 | More by Jwale73
FrankLloydMike

4.53/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bomber purchased Friday afternoon at the brewery and shared at dinner that evening. I went back the following morning hoping to pick up another bottle, but they were wiped out. I'll be back next weekend and hope it's still available on tap.

A: Pours a very cloudy orange-tinged tan with a nice, foamy head; a sticky lacing persists. Very pleasing to behold.

S: Very strong, crisp and slightly sweet smell, mostly of grains with a bit of spice, yeast and citrus. This is one I kept sniffing throughout dinner; extremely pleasant.

T: The taste seemed to evolve throughout a sip without being aggressive, maintaining a highly unusual level of interest, delight and discovery. It's much less sour and maltier than I had anticipated, with the two elements balancing each other very nicely. The taste moves from the malt to coriander, with hints of spice (though not the winter warmer variety by any means) darting about, finishing with a bit of a citrusy sourness and the slightest smattering of salt.

M: Sticky, medium-bodied.

D: This is an exceptionally good beer; the taste is very unusual without being challenging, and the smell is among the best non-hop forward beers I've experienced. The beer is quite refreshing at first, but towards the end the salt kicks in quite a bit. I don't think this is undesirable, but it does make a second glass a bit daunting. Perhaps with a different beer or a glass of water in between, it would be okay, but as is it drops the drinkability a tad. I still wouldn't change a thing.

God, I hope the Portsmouth Brewery brews this again!

11-29-2010 17:44:15 | More by FrankLloydMike
u2carew

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

22oz bomber.
A) Pours with a two finger head. Settles to a tight, creamy head with sticky lacing. Cloudy body. Copper in color.
S) A bit yeasty. Citrus notes - similar to lemons. Grainy - wheat.
T) Grainy and malty sweet up front. Moves with smoothness towards the finish. Ends with a slight lemon sour bite.
M) Creamy. Fairly smooth. Medium body.
D) A nice brew. I'd have another.

11-28-2010 22:42:05 | More by u2carew
ToasterChef

Maine

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

I purchased this bottle at the brewpub after sampling the beer on draft. It's been in my cellar for two weeks I'm pouring it into a pint glass. The brewery describes this beer as such: "Gose is an ancient German sour wheat beer that is brewed with coriander and salt. We get the sour characteristic from a partial sour mash rather then using the Pedio in the secondary. In the Dunkel version we bumped up the malt profile and added some caramel malts to give some color and a little malt sweetness."

A big bubbly head rising as I pour into the center of the glass. It is tan in color and very fizzy. I can see and hear bubbles popping. The liquid is cloudy and colored orange and brown. An impression of movement can be glimpsed within the glass, compliments of tiny bubbles rising upwards. Some patchy lacing is left behind as the head settles.

Strong dark wheat aromas are detected when I inhale. There is a slight sweetness to the nose as well. Coriander spice can also be smelled.

An interesting succession of flavors is present in each swallow. It begins with wheat flavors. I can also taste lemon, banana, and coriander. The salt flavoring moves towards the front as I swallow. A slight bit of alcohol is present, along with the wheat, in the aftertaste. Also present here is a touch of sourness.

The beer has a medium body and slightly above average levels of carbonation. Plenty of coating is left on my tongue. Some stickiness is left on my lips.

This is a pretty interesting beer, and my first exposure to the style. I find it to be very refreshing, even with the added salt. I think it would be great on a warm day in early fall. I probably wouldn't order more than one round at the pub, only because I like to try a variety of beers when I'm at a brewpub I can't visit often. I'll be able to finish this 22 ounce bottle easily. It is my only bottle, but I wouldn't mind if I had purchased a second, as this would be an interesting one to share with friends.

11-26-2010 20:57:06 | More by ToasterChef