Bourbon Barrel Aged Drago | Onion Pub & Brewery / Wild Onion Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Bourbon Barrel Aged DragoBourbon Barrel Aged Drago

Onion Pub & Brewery / Wild Onion Brewing Co.
Illinois, United States | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Russian Imperial Stout aged on bourbon barrels.

Added by xdtfx on 03-16-2014

Reviews: 35 | Ratings: 185
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

The beer pours a blackish brown color with good head retention and considerable lacing. On the palate, this beer smells great, as I pick up vanilla, light milk duds, chocolate, coffee and considerable bourbon. The flavor profile replicated the nose pretty closely in this beer, and as others have advised, the beer opened up considerably as it warmed and sat in the glass. The beer was a tad sweeter than I would have liked, but that's really my only complaint. Also, I found the mouthfeel to be soft and fairly full, so I'm puzzled by some of the reviews that noted a thin mouthfeel. Alcohol is very well integrated into the flavor profile, and drinkability was terrific.

Couple of thoughts. I really wish more breweries would go with the 12 ounce format for beers like this, as it's pretty hard for me to work my way through a 22 ounce bomber of 10% abv (or more) BA RIS. For me, a 12 ounce pour of a beer like this at the end of the evening was just perfect. Also, maybe it's just my imagination (or perhaps this just the style that brewers go for in the Chicago area), but this beer reminded me very much of a somewhat lighter, less boozy version of BCBS. Whatever, this was an excellent beer that I wish I had access to a regular basis.

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I must break you.....you being this bourbon barrel aged stout. Quite a treat. Darker than a siberian night. This is a lighter side imperial but one that has a full enough feel to keep you on a good track whilst training in a snow covered barn. Big chocolate tones with hints of almond, brownie and dried currants. Warming booze on the back end. Very well put together - this will go the distance.

4.31/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I'd only had one other WIld Onion beer in the past when I saw this on the shelf at the reasonable price of 13 dollars for a 4-pack of 10% BA imperial stout. I'm fairly impressed, and glad I have four to work through to form a complete impression.

Appearance is pretty strong, particularly at first, with an inky black body and a nice cap of brown foam. Head retention isn't great but that's kind of expected for this style and ABV. Decent lacing. You can tell just by looking at it that it might be a little thin-bodied, and it is (but not egregiously so). Aroma is excellent but fleeting; dark chocolate and bourbon, oak and vanilla - smells like the real deal, just without a lot of staying power.

On the palate it's much the same - a delicious blend of sweet chocolate and vanilla notes and an ample barrel character, which will please fans of bourbon (including myself). I think it's well balanced for the style; there's enough to the base beer - just enough - that it doesn't feel overshadowed by the whiskey barrel. It's not the most massive example of this style and that keeps it pretty drinkable. I enjoy the way the ample barrel notes keep the sweetness in check and prevent it from having a cloying character.

The body is medium, possibly a little lighter than is de rigueur for an imperial stout. There's a certain fleeting quality that takes it out of the upper echelon but this is still a solid A- or so in my book, and I'd glad buy more at the price I paid.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

In my opinion this is one of the most under rated barrel aged beers... and this is coming from someone who really hasn't been a fan of anything that's come out of the onion pub/brewery.

Not as good as bourbon county (though not many beers are), but I find it way more enjoyable than drinking dragon's milk for about the same price ($17 / 4 pack).

3.31/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3

12oz bottle, 2014 release, 9.5% abv
A - jet black, but flat - no head whatsoever - even with a rigorous pour
S - roasted barley, bourbon, oak, vanilla, dark chocolate
T - similar to aroma - dark chocolate, roasty, vanilla, oak, heavy bourbon
M - thinner side of medium, no carbonation, sticky and sweet, fairly boozy, but appropriate for the style
O - big disappointment here. I'm usually not overly picky with imperial stouts, but this one lacks in quality control. Flavors are good, but the lack of carbonation is a big problem for me.

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bought this while in Chicago earlier this week and had the 4 pack shipped home along with some Surly and Pipeworks at the suggestion of the owner of Fischman Liquors.

As an aside, I strongly recommend stopping in there if you're in town. Super nice employees and an awesome selection of Midwest brewers that don't distribute to the Northeast.

Appearance is pitch black like dirty motor oil with an almost non existent head and no lacing (the only negative with this beer)

Smells of Vanilla Bean, Almonds, Mocha, Bourbon, Cream, Butterscotch, Dark Fruits, Cloves, and Maple Syrup. Simply one of the best palate wetters ever.

Taste follows the nose immensely well. Drinks strong and warm for only being 9.5% A great sipper and is quite reminiscent of BCBS (which is why it was recommended)

Mouthfeel is on the thinner side but is still super smooth with low carbonation & goes down slick and leaves a splendid bourbon flavored coating on the tongue

Overall and awesome BBA Stout and a deal for $16 in my book. Would love to see this over in Philly but will most likely have to wait until the next time in town

4.76/5  rDev +12.5%

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.49/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured 12oz into an oversized snifter (definitely prefer to the Belgian tulip). Initial sips at about 51 degrees.

Deep dark caramel-brown in color. Light can get through, but not much. Aggressive pour yields a respectable tan head with very little lacing or retention.

Smells like bourbon. I genuinely got very excited while pouring this, purely because the smell that filled the room was straight bourbon. I mean I've had a lot of bourbon barrel-aged stouts, and none of them smelled more like bourbon than this. The scent is definitely more sweet and vanilla-y than actual bourbon, but it even pierces the nostrils in a similar manner when you get close. I'm a fan.

Taste is on the sweeter side. Maybe even a little too sweet, but I can appreciate that. Fairly strong vanilla & caramel flavors, with some milk chocolate. Creamy. I'd almost believe it if you told be this beer was made with Milky Way bars.

Definitely not the thickest beer I've had, but it's got a nice weight to it. Carbonation isn't biting me at all. Plenty sticky. 'Refreshing' is not in this beer's vocabulary.

I'll be the first to admit that I have a soft spot for sweet bourbon-barrel stouts, but I absolutely believe this beer is massively underrated right now (4.12? Who's drinking this- hop-heads?). Not on the same tier as a Bourbon County, but not a far cry either. Oh, and I don't think there's anything RIS about this- whatever roastiness the base beer might have started with has mellowed-out to American levels, but I'm not knocking any points for that. I will not hesitate to buy more of this the next time I see it.

Very similar taste to Central Waters' [reserve] Bourbon Barrel Stout, but a tiny bit thicker than the 2015, for anyone that's had one of Wisconsin's finest on-the-shelf offerings.

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.56/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours slick and oily with minimal khaki foam even after a hard pour.

Nutty, deep roasted notes, vanilla, dark chocolate, and a hint of bourbon sweetness.

Lush roasted barley, chocolate, oak, earthy, vanilla, and bourbon.

Heavy bodied, very light carbonation, slick, and unfortunately thin.

Smells wonderful, tastes alright, but the thin mouthfeel is off-putting for the style.

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.19/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Outstanding quaff, not a whole more I can add to the below reviews, really resembles BCBCS at a more affordable price point, with a touch more bourbon on the front end and just a smudge thinner.
I paid $16.99 for a 4 pack. Can't wait to crack another one and experiment with cellaring a few.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Drago from Onion Pub & Brewery / Wild Onion Brewing Co.