Mönchsambacher Lager - Brauerei Zehendner GmbH

Mönchsambacher LagerMönchsambacher Lager

Brauerei Zehendner GmbH
Germany

Kellerbier / Zwickelbier |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 01-18-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

03-28-2012 01:39:43 | More by nas5755
woosterbill

Kentucky

4.7/5  rDev +7.1%

Cask into a pint glass at the Blackback Pub. #1 ranked Kellerbier here we go!

A: Nearly clear yellow body with just a bit of unfiltered haziness to it. One inch head of pillowy white foam. Decent retention and lacing. Solid.

S: Mmm. Doughy, bready malt and plenty of fresh noble hops. Grassiness is huge, with a bit of citrus fruitiness to it as well. Incredibly clean, fresh, and balanced.

T: Follows the nose precisely: delicious grassy hops up front, substantial malt body in the middle, and some fruity hop bitterness on the clean, crisp finish. Very simple, balanced, and refreshing.

M: Substantial medium body with plenty of lively carbonation - probably the highest carbonation I've ever experienced from a cask, to the point of being a tough too prickly. Still, amazing.

O: What a lager. If I could get this fresh, cheap, and abundantly, it would be my go-to summer beer. Refreshing and yet still flavorful, hoppy but not overly bitter, sessionable but not watery. Terrific stuff.

Cheers!

10-09-2011 14:44:43 | More by woosterbill
ummswimmin

3.88/5  rDev -11.6%

I was lucky to find out about this beer from my friend (Naugros, see review below). I have never had a Keller, and Naugros told me about this offering at a local bar on a special night.

The Keller was served from a firkin. In the pint glass I had about three fingers of foam. The foam resided at about a 1/4 inch for a while.

This was a nice color of deep yellow. The carbonation was very tiny bubbles.

Off the top I get the noble hop smell. It smells like a really good lager. This smell is very clean.

I get the noble hops in the taste as well. There is distinct grassiness in each drink.

The only short coming was bitterness in the mouthfeel. Following each drink the bitterness resided, along with the lager flavor. I also detected some metallic feel.

This was a good beer. I enjoyed my second Keller experience.

09-29-2011 01:20:54 | More by ummswimmin
Naugros

3.88/5  rDev -11.6%

The appearance is spot on with what I expected from this style, although lighter in color. It comes in as a light amber with a slight orange glow through all the yeast haze. Detritus from the yeast can be seen suspended in the beer, so you know you're getting your recommended daily allowance of B vitamins. Yay!

The smell is rife with Noble Hops, much like the hop bouquet you get from Sam Adams Boston Lager. This stands to reason since it is from Germany, but I can't tell you if they're Hallertauer or Tettnanger. I've never been able to tell the two apart since these are not my favorite hops varieties as I've always felt they smelled a bit plasticy...if that's a word. There is a slight sense of sour in the nose, but not much. The malts are there as well, no doubting the bread they bring to the party.

There is none of the hoped-for sourness in the taste, but there is a mild sweetness and a splash of citrus (orange). The malts here seem a bit musty, but that's no issue with this style. I do feel like I'm getting the slightest hint of diacetyl (butter flavor), but I can't say for certain.

The mustiness pervades and makes anything else in the mouthfeel secondary. It's on the lighter side of medium-bodied. For a relative of a lager, it's not really all that crisp.

My first keller and I have to say that I'm not fond of the style. Maybe it grows on you, so I will try it again, given the opportunity as it is hard to find these.

09-28-2011 14:48:07 | More by Naugros
TurdFurgison

4.9/5  rDev +11.6%

Wow, just wow, this is a very good beer. I was lucky to find it on tap at the Dirty Truth in Northampton, served in 1/2 liter mugs, and it took me straight to Bavaria.

The beer is clear, maybe a little haze, a pale gold color, with a few fingers of foam. The aroma is just dead on, bready and grainy, rich and malty, perfect. I've had only a handful of lagers that smell quite this appealing. The flavor was the same, just like liquid bread, delicious. A little sweet upfront and only a little bitter in back, very balanced but malty, the grains come through in a great way. Heavy body for a lager but still easily chugable. Any lover of German lagers should be happy with this one.

10-14-2010 11:44:33 | More by TurdFurgison
Thorpe429

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a gravity cask at Churchkey during an event yesterday.

Pours a cloudy light yellow color with a pretty good-sized white head and nearly all-encompassing lacing as it went down. Nose brought good scents of light grain, hints of lemon citrus, and a bit of bread dough. The taste adds in some light fruity notes. Altogether, everything melds together quite well and while the flavors are very delicate, they are quite tasty. Feel is light with good carbonation; super crisp.

Drinkability was incredible. Prior to this, I hadn't had much experience with the style, so I thought I might have been overrating this at first. However, after quite a few other pours from different casks, it became clear that this was the best of the bunch and a great, great beer in its own right.

10-13-2010 00:13:55 | More by Thorpe429
drabmuh

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

This has been a long time, short list, want of mine, for years. I had relegated this beer to the ether though, figuring that I would have be near the brewery in Bavaria to ever find it on draft or in the bottle, but then Churchkey cam to the rescue, yet again. Gravity cask at Churchkey in D.C. Part of their Franconia Oktoberfest special. Beer served in a 10 ounce beer flute. Beer is yellow and hazy with a thick white head of small and medium bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to low, head falls away eventually and breaks. Looks pretty good.

Aroma is mild, a little sweet, slight bitterness, slight graininess, smells pretty good too.

I imagine that this is the way that beers used to be, hundreds of years ago. Its light in body, creamy in the mouth, has a slight bitter edge at the back but no aftertaste. Finishes wet, some mild yeastiness and some mild graininess, its super drinkable, its "crisp", which is an adjective I usually feel people use when they don't know what to say, and that's me now. I could drink gallons of this beer, as if it were water, nonstop. It is ineffable.

10-11-2010 22:48:11 | More by drabmuh
Amalak

4.35/5  rDev -0.9%

I had at d.b.a. in Williamsburg, Brooklyn out of a gravity dispense cask. It's gold with lots of sediment yet see through. Great head and lacing and a pure pilsner scent.

It's a perfectly balanced lager/pilsner. Though it's listed as a lager, it taste like a pilsner, to me anyway. Has a slight fruitiness that's dominated by hops.

01-15-2010 21:04:45 | More by Amalak
tai4ji2x

4.35/5  rDev -0.9%

500ml bottle. label is notched/marked for a best by of "12 apr", but no year.

golden straw with tones of brown, especially from the abundant lumps of yeast sediment, making it cloudy. moderate head fades to thin layer. decent lacing, esp. in the 2nd half of the glass.

lightly toasted, bready malts in the aroma, with gentle noble hops. clean, with just a trace of sulfur.

sweet, bready malt continues on the palate. hint of fruity white grape sweetness too. nice moderate noble hop profile gives a grassy note, then gentle bitterness to balance. clean finish with just a trace of yeast.

medium body, relatively smooth, with prickly, lively carbonation.

i had no idea this is actually a keller/zwickel. that helps to bring up the appearance score, which otherwise would have been marked down slightly because of all the sediment.

drinkability should be a 5.0, and taste 4.3 or 4.4

03-27-2009 13:17:09 | More by tai4ji2x
Ungespundet

Germany

4.2/5  rDev -4.3%

Picked up this bottle in Bamberg during Sandkerwa. Great find! Pours up a soft medium bubbled head that is very lacey. The color is deep straw and slightly orange. Naturtrüb means unfiltered and this one is plenty hazy. The aroma features very bright hops that are floral and defianelty minty in the spearmint direction. Behind this is a full malt aroma hints of grain and sulphur. The flavor is big in the hop category with very citrus/lemony hops. They are bright and crisp! The mouth feel is medium. The malt is solid and the yeast floabvor is clean also. The bitterenss is a little strong but very smooth. What a Bier!!! So ein Bier!!!!

Zum Wohl!!!

09-27-2007 19:21:09 | More by Ungespundet
cichief

4.83/5  rDev +10%

I have had this beer from the barrel in Bamberg several times, but on this occasion I stopped at the brewery in Mönchsambach. The beer was so fresh and the lady of the house friendly. It was a great beer all around. The beer was amber in color and nearly clear, no sediment noticeable. This was a classic example of a German keller beer.

02-11-2007 22:40:42 | More by cichief
geexploitation

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev -7.7%

Very foamy bottle -- I had to pour it in my glass quickly before it foamed over the top of the bottle. Once in the glass, it was a very pretty beaten gold color, cloudy, with a collar of head and sticky lacing on the glass. Sharp, earthy hop aromas and a touch of citrus (lemon) comprise the aroma, along with a graininess that reminds me of zweiback crackers. On the palate, immensely smooth and a touch sweet at first, with some funky/musty hop bitterness providing definition. The finish is full of banana flavors, and then dries out in a flash. All of these elements play well together. This is quite a nice keller bier, although not my favorite. Hard to find, but worth seeking out.

01-18-2007 01:10:17 | More by geexploitation
Lnedrive14

3.58/5  rDev -18.5%

Thankfully I noticed all of the floaties in the bottle so i was able to pour to leave most of them in the bottle.

Pours a hazy pale gold, with a hint of orange. Modest white head - perhaps a bit more color than your traditional lager. Tiniest bit of head sticks with the beer with a touch of lacing.

Refreshing nose - lots of yeast and freshness. Taste has a hint of apple juice. More malts than I'm used to in the style. Very minimal hops.

I don't know why, but the combination of the flavors did not mesh for me. I thought the beer was complex, unique, interesting, and a great experience, i just didn't like the taste!

12-09-2006 04:55:16 | More by Lnedrive14
sponberg

4.45/5  rDev +1.4%

Half liter bottle, from Halftime, mindestens haltbar bis (best before) 4/21. Pours a cloudy yellow gold with a white head that fades pretty quickly to a fine lace. Smells like beer - as in "walk into a small south German village and get a mass of their local beer" beer.Grainy malt, slightly estery yeast, and spicy noble hops.

Man, this takes me back 20 or so years to when I was sitting in a gasthaus outside of Coburg, on vacation with my family, watching soccer and drinking the local kellerbier. Earthy, sweet-grainy malt dominates with a fine, subtle hop spiciness - the bitterness just rests on the tongue rather than landing thud on it like a pig's knuckle. Slightly yeast-estery, sort of a slight Bit O' Honey flavor. Very aromatic on the palate, if that makes sense. Finishes clean, almost lemony in its cleanness. Slightly tingly, very refreshing mouthfeel. I could sit around a gasthof all day long drinking these with an occasional meal - wurst, schnitzel, it'd all be good.

Aside: I raise my glass in a toast to my mom's sister, Tante Hanni, who was one of our hosts in Germany and who passed away this morning at 87. Prost!

09-27-2006 01:56:39 | More by sponberg
OldSock

District of Columbia

4.22/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance – .5L bottle from Half Time dated April 21st , this year I hope. Pours clear golden-yellow (second pour is much cloudier) with a two finger creamy white head floating on top. The beautiful head sinks quickly leaving only a thin coating and bits of sticky lacing.

Smell – Some sweet malt with that characteristic earthy Keller Beir quality. Some spicy noble hops are in there as well. Nothing really takes over aroma, its just a good balance of everything.

Taste – Sweet grain, very clean. The hops provide balance and give the beer a refreshing herbal-grassy quality. Not an overly complex flavor, but the flavor is just what it is trying to be without any extraneous interference.

Mouthfeel – Fuller than other beers of the style, but still on the whole a rather light beer. Carbonation is on the low side which leads to a very smooth flavor.

Drinkability & Notes – This is where this beer really shines, I just drank the whole half liter without realizing even it. This is what a pale lager should be, perfect for coming in from mowing the lawn (which I just did). Certainly the best Keller Bier out there, and one of the best pale lagers period. Surprised to see Hopfenextrakt (hop extract I can only assume) on the ingredient list, and the contradictory (in my mind) Farmhouse-brewed on the back. Damn, with summer coming its time to find more of this.

06-16-2006 20:55:37 | More by OldSock
ppoitras

4.4/5  rDev +0.2%

500ml bottle obtained via trade with CRJMellor. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" bright white head over the almost clear yellow gold brew. Head holds steady, with plentiful bubbly white lacing. Aroma is pale malts and crisp hops. Taste is sweet pale malt with a crisp, lightly spicy hoppiness. Mouthfeel is soft throughout the mouth, and drinkability is excellent. Could see this one in a big old stein, for sure.

05-04-2006 23:05:21 | More by ppoitras