Mönchsambacher Lager - Brauerei Zehendner GmbH

Mönchsambacher LagerMönchsambacher Lager

Brauerei Zehendner GmbH
Germany

Kellerbier / Zwickelbier |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 01-18-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by nomad:
nomad

Kansas

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

A pale grainy yellow, even a careful pour shows yeast and protein chips, but also a heavenly pillow of a head, soft and flouffy mousse a finger thick and impervious. Thick lace left all over the glass.

Many sites of miniscule carbonation raise aromas of hay and tight electric lemons. Opens to round, slick, and large pils sweetness, and near room temperature brings out purified esters in hiding, naught remnants of "farmhouse" styling. All over soft and fairly naked for a low gravity lager.

When freshly cold it shows surreal flavors of unripe pears, lemon-soaked bananas, absurdly thick pils malt mouthfeel and sweetish clean grains. So intertwined is the fullness and slick pale malt purity that its hard to experience, let along explain, them apart. Simultaneously the hops are slaking with herbal and high-pitched citrus flavors, turning over in the finish with oily freshness, chewy and mouth rippling like raw raddichio. A little too much for my taste, but a case of this beer could change my mindon that. The dryness ends up as much a matter mouthfeel as taste, especially considering its coupling with its disappearing act on the mouth from real live acidity. Poof, gone! Just like truly aged lambic or fine champagne. I also get husky echos in the gaps between quaffs, furthering the complexity of this beer.

This is a lager, correct? This is absurd amounts of depth and breadth in a non-ale. If you can't vouchsafe for freshness I'd be wary of buying this, especially if not refrigerated. I dream of drinking this even fresher on draught in Franconia.

02-18-2006 21:56:17 | More by nomad
sponberg

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

Half liter bottle, from Halftime, mindestens haltbar bis (best before) 4/21. Pours a cloudy yellow gold with a white head that fades pretty quickly to a fine lace. Smells like beer - as in "walk into a small south German village and get a mass of their local beer" beer.Grainy malt, slightly estery yeast, and spicy noble hops.

Man, this takes me back 20 or so years to when I was sitting in a gasthaus outside of Coburg, on vacation with my family, watching soccer and drinking the local kellerbier. Earthy, sweet-grainy malt dominates with a fine, subtle hop spiciness - the bitterness just rests on the tongue rather than landing thud on it like a pig's knuckle. Slightly yeast-estery, sort of a slight Bit O' Honey flavor. Very aromatic on the palate, if that makes sense. Finishes clean, almost lemony in its cleanness. Slightly tingly, very refreshing mouthfeel. I could sit around a gasthof all day long drinking these with an occasional meal - wurst, schnitzel, it'd all be good.

Aside: I raise my glass in a toast to my mom's sister, Tante Hanni, who was one of our hosts in Germany and who passed away this morning at 87. Prost!

09-27-2006 01:56:39 | More by sponberg
Leftofthedial

05-25-2014 18:38:08 | More by Leftofthedial
Lnedrive14

3.58/5  rDev -17.5%

Thankfully I noticed all of the floaties in the bottle so i was able to pour to leave most of them in the bottle.

Pours a hazy pale gold, with a hint of orange. Modest white head - perhaps a bit more color than your traditional lager. Tiniest bit of head sticks with the beer with a touch of lacing.

Refreshing nose - lots of yeast and freshness. Taste has a hint of apple juice. More malts than I'm used to in the style. Very minimal hops.

I don't know why, but the combination of the flavors did not mesh for me. I thought the beer was complex, unique, interesting, and a great experience, i just didn't like the taste!

12-09-2006 04:55:16 | More by Lnedrive14
CRJMellor

Arkansas

Gift from trbeer.
Poured a hazy golden yellow with waht seemed liked thousands of little yeasties struggling to swim in the current of effervescence. Big, puffy slightly off-white head that could lay a bottle cap on.
Aroma is light and airy with basic pale malt and grassy and hay aromas eminating from the glass.
Flavor was delicious, great balance of moderate malt sweet notes and crisp refreshing hop balance. Slightly vegetal notes but only accentuated the wonderful crispness of the beer. Hint of green apple as it warmed just a bit.
Mouthfeel was exquisite, just the right balance of sweet and bitter produces a delightful quaff. Each swig got better and produced a crescendo of well-balanced malt goodness.
Drinkability was absolutely world class and top notch. Amazingly thirst quenching and left me wanting many, many more. I can think of no flaws from a balance standpoint and the flavor really rounds out well as you work through the bottle. If you love lager, find this beer.

04-06-2006 13:32:22 | More by CRJMellor
Amalak

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

I had at d.b.a. in Williamsburg, Brooklyn out of a gravity dispense cask. It's gold with lots of sediment yet see through. Great head and lacing and a pure pilsner scent.

It's a perfectly balanced lager/pilsner. Though it's listed as a lager, it taste like a pilsner, to me anyway. Has a slight fruitiness that's dominated by hops.

01-15-2010 21:04:45 | More by Amalak

10-30-2013 20:01:21 | More by DirkNachbar
geexploitation

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Very foamy bottle -- I had to pour it in my glass quickly before it foamed over the top of the bottle. Once in the glass, it was a very pretty beaten gold color, cloudy, with a collar of head and sticky lacing on the glass. Sharp, earthy hop aromas and a touch of citrus (lemon) comprise the aroma, along with a graininess that reminds me of zweiback crackers. On the palate, immensely smooth and a touch sweet at first, with some funky/musty hop bitterness providing definition. The finish is full of banana flavors, and then dries out in a flash. All of these elements play well together. This is quite a nice keller bier, although not my favorite. Hard to find, but worth seeking out.

01-18-2007 01:10:17 | More by geexploitation
alalvarez75

11-13-2012 15:57:53 | More by alalvarez75
ppoitras

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

500ml bottle obtained via trade with CRJMellor. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" bright white head over the almost clear yellow gold brew. Head holds steady, with plentiful bubbly white lacing. Aroma is pale malts and crisp hops. Taste is sweet pale malt with a crisp, lightly spicy hoppiness. Mouthfeel is soft throughout the mouth, and drinkability is excellent. Could see this one in a big old stein, for sure.

05-04-2006 23:05:21 | More by ppoitras
twelvsies

Maine

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

I've really been digging the German biers recently. I got a hold of this one from a friend who raved about it, and I must agree that it is in fact raveworthy. Pours a bright gold color, though it doesn't have the usual clearness of a typical German lager. There are literally bits of yeast or grain suspended in the murky straw colored beer. Some might view this as a flaw, I just think it's interesting. Didn't have a grainy mouthfeel at all by the way, it was silky smooth and light on the palate. Smell and taste have a distinct, almost mead-like honey characteristic up front. Lots of peppery spices and a bit of funkyness to this one, really bizarre. Excellent spicy hops. Hallertau? Saaz? Just a guess. All of this is backed by an awesomely light German maltyness. Almost wheaty. Like I said before this one is ultra smooth and nice and light on the palate and uber drinkable. I doubt if I'll ever come across this beer again, but I'll definately be on the lookout, and I'll be exploring this style a little more.

01-03-2006 20:00:58 | More by twelvsies
Thorpe429

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a gravity cask at Churchkey during an event yesterday.

Pours a cloudy light yellow color with a pretty good-sized white head and nearly all-encompassing lacing as it went down. Nose brought good scents of light grain, hints of lemon citrus, and a bit of bread dough. The taste adds in some light fruity notes. Altogether, everything melds together quite well and while the flavors are very delicate, they are quite tasty. Feel is light with good carbonation; super crisp.

Drinkability was incredible. Prior to this, I hadn't had much experience with the style, so I thought I might have been overrating this at first. However, after quite a few other pours from different casks, it became clear that this was the best of the bunch and a great, great beer in its own right.

10-13-2010 00:13:55 | More by Thorpe429
kmo1030

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

golden yellow in the glass with a nice white head. lots of yeast particles floating around.
lots of german hops in the aroma. i detect some grain, some honey, and a little bit of a farmhouse funk for good measure.
the taste has a nice clean pilsner -like grainy quality, sort of surprisingly. honey-like sweetness with some wheat-y yeasty characterisitcs. fruity in a faint banana citrusy kind of way, but that description does not do it justice. it has a nice balanced herbal hop bitterness.
nice tingly carbonation in a fullish medim body.
real nice drinkability in this beer. nothing harsh or off about it, just a well crafted beer with some nice complexities. probably one of the most impressive lagers i've had (no that thats been many).

03-03-2006 00:47:44 | More by kmo1030

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

11-10-2013 15:13:37 | More by bigred89
Frozensoul327

4.08/5  rDev -6%

Solid all round. Pours out to a neon like yellow color with a sea-foam like head. Some notes of lacing, medium to medium high level of carbonation. Lotsa sediment in the bottom. Aromas of fresh hay and malts, with some sweet corn nuances and light fruits. Taste is fresh and crisp, very refreshing; flavors of malts and minor bitter hops in the forefront, with elements of grain, sweet herbs and grass intermixed in the background. Nice. Mouthfeel was bubbly and had a thicker than expected consistancy. Nice. Good drinkability. I hope that I can find this in the summertime, as this is what I have in mind after mowing the lawn. When reminded that this is a "Lager", it exemplifies what should be the standard when discussing lager beers. Recommended drinking.

03-04-2006 02:33:42 | More by Frozensoul327
danadeny

Colorado

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Props to BeerPanther for bringing this into the store. Appearance is light cloudy yellow at the bottom of the wizen glass and turns a couple shades more orange as the glass widens at the top. And when the label says natural beer that’s exactly what you see in the body. Lots of particles swirling and swimming around. Respectable head too. For smell I get a good fresh hefe smell. Hints of orange, maybe even a little lemon, but no banana like some hefe's (yeah I know this is not a hefe). But the smell is not distinctly pilsner either. Tasted is nutty, a bit of almond, classic citrus tang on the front of the tongue, mild hops, and great balance. Mouthfeel has got to be one of the best I have ever felt. Like a lot of German fresh beers sometimes I find them over carbonated and burp after every sip. Sure the carbonation adds to the refreshing sensation but this beer does it without the excess foam on the way down. Great balance, great mouthfeel, and a refreshing flavor equals a high drinkability in my book. The one think keeping this beer from a better score is that nothing stands out to grab my attention. Almost as if this beer is lacking a distinction, lacking a character. In the car world this beer would be a Toyota Camery. Solid, reliable, hard to hate, does every technical attribute perfectly, a perfect transportation module. But where is the passion and soul?

03-01-2006 03:19:09 | More by danadeny
Naugros

3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

The appearance is spot on with what I expected from this style, although lighter in color. It comes in as a light amber with a slight orange glow through all the yeast haze. Detritus from the yeast can be seen suspended in the beer, so you know you're getting your recommended daily allowance of B vitamins. Yay!

The smell is rife with Noble Hops, much like the hop bouquet you get from Sam Adams Boston Lager. This stands to reason since it is from Germany, but I can't tell you if they're Hallertauer or Tettnanger. I've never been able to tell the two apart since these are not my favorite hops varieties as I've always felt they smelled a bit plasticy...if that's a word. There is a slight sense of sour in the nose, but not much. The malts are there as well, no doubting the bread they bring to the party.

There is none of the hoped-for sourness in the taste, but there is a mild sweetness and a splash of citrus (orange). The malts here seem a bit musty, but that's no issue with this style. I do feel like I'm getting the slightest hint of diacetyl (butter flavor), but I can't say for certain.

The mustiness pervades and makes anything else in the mouthfeel secondary. It's on the lighter side of medium-bodied. For a relative of a lager, it's not really all that crisp.

My first keller and I have to say that I'm not fond of the style. Maybe it grows on you, so I will try it again, given the opportunity as it is hard to find these.

09-28-2011 14:48:07 | More by Naugros
cichief

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

I have had this beer from the barrel in Bamberg several times, but on this occasion I stopped at the brewery in Mönchsambach. The beer was so fresh and the lady of the house friendly. It was a great beer all around. The beer was amber in color and nearly clear, no sediment noticeable. This was a classic example of a German keller beer.

02-11-2007 22:40:42 | More by cichief
putnam

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Mönchsambach, the name of the town this beer is from, should translate roughly as "monks by the creek".

Was there the remotest doubt that I'd approve of this beer?

It's packed in the same Bamberger Rauchbier ten pack boxes. The bottles don't exactly fill it, so space holders were improvised from rolled up cardboard.

A thick layer of protein and yeast can be found at the bottom of the bottle so I poured it as carefully as I could to minimize the barely sunken matter in the glass.

I'm drinking it from a Riedel Vinum Syrah glass by the way. It's a bowl with a large volume, comparable to the Burgundy glass only tall and torpedo shaped. It works like a chimney, driving a warm, pungent bouquet into my sinuses.

Fruit, sweet herbs and butter. I so can't see how this could go wrong.

Of course it doesn't go wrong. Served at about 55 deg. F it's chewy and creamy with a hard spine of bitterness. The fruits are dazzling, like crushed ripe peaches and pears. It has a homemade feel only in that it tastes like fresh bread on the day it was baked (caramelized grains and yeast vigorous in presentation). I detect no sourness, not even the least amount of green apple or lemon flavored tang. Quite stony. Nobly cured herbs can be found in a sensory analysis of it, but the music is too strong for analysis at this time.

I will continue to enjoy this beer again and again as I've secured an option for 50 bottles. I hope no one else latches on to it.

02-17-2006 00:40:57 | More by putnam
GeoffreyM

09-22-2013 16:49:30 | More by GeoffreyM
nas5755

03-28-2012 01:39:43 | More by nas5755
fingolfin72

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

My brother-in-law, trbeer, brought this one to me.

It pours a rich, hazy gold, and it's full of yeastie floaties. The head is fine, white and persistent; it left lovely lacing around the glass. Especially attractive when enjoyed outdoors in the sunshine.

Nose- Fresh, wheaty aromas with some fresh fruit and floral hop notes. Subtle and well-integrated.

Palate- Smooth, with a lively but not overdone effervescence. Notes of citrus, apple, grass and hops are nicely woven together. The mouthfeel and balance are the great attributes of this beer, showing Old World skill with tasty beverages (French wines can show this great integration also). The carbonation, maltiness, hops and mineral are all in balance. Easy to drink, but not forgettable.

04-10-2006 16:39:35 | More by fingolfin72
OldSock

District of Columbia

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance – .5L bottle from Half Time dated April 21st , this year I hope. Pours clear golden-yellow (second pour is much cloudier) with a two finger creamy white head floating on top. The beautiful head sinks quickly leaving only a thin coating and bits of sticky lacing.

Smell – Some sweet malt with that characteristic earthy Keller Beir quality. Some spicy noble hops are in there as well. Nothing really takes over aroma, its just a good balance of everything.

Taste – Sweet grain, very clean. The hops provide balance and give the beer a refreshing herbal-grassy quality. Not an overly complex flavor, but the flavor is just what it is trying to be without any extraneous interference.

Mouthfeel – Fuller than other beers of the style, but still on the whole a rather light beer. Carbonation is on the low side which leads to a very smooth flavor.

Drinkability & Notes – This is where this beer really shines, I just drank the whole half liter without realizing even it. This is what a pale lager should be, perfect for coming in from mowing the lawn (which I just did). Certainly the best Keller Bier out there, and one of the best pale lagers period. Surprised to see Hopfenextrakt (hop extract I can only assume) on the ingredient list, and the contradictory (in my mind) Farmhouse-brewed on the back. Damn, with summer coming its time to find more of this.

06-16-2006 20:55:37 | More by OldSock