Boréale Blanche - Brasseurs Du Nord Inc.

Boréale BlancheBoréale Blanche

Brasseurs Du Nord Inc. visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Witbier |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: Beersignal on 10-16-2004

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.91/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance - Poured from a 341 ml bottle into a 16 oz bar glass. 2 fingers white head, murky straw color. some sediment, I believe this beer is bottle conditioned but it may just be because its sat in my fridge for 6 weeks. its supposed to be fresh until the middle of december though.

Aroma - Cereal grain, wheat, lemon, orange peel, honey.

Taste - peppery spice, wheat zest, some citrus in the background.

Feel - This one has a light watery body, carbonation is on point but not overbearing.

Overall - On a nice summer day if someone offered me this or an AAL I would take this. Will I buy it again though probably not. It just doesnt stack up to other witbiers of the same price point, I mean for this money Ill get a 6 pack of blanche de Chambly and its fantastic.

3.13/5  rDev -3.7%

Boreale White

The look of it. Very thick. Yellow color. Very surprised of the look of that beer. For a 4,2% ABV this is actually a very nice looking beer

The smell of it: Cereal and some wheat. A touch of honey and orange and citrus to it but very light

The taste of it: Very impressive for a light beer. The wheat is definitely present a bit too present for me and on the after taste its just awful. A touch of lemon after 30 second of swallowing it. But for a witbier the taste and the feel is just not there. I find it a copy of it. Compare to the Hoegaarden this beer taste like crap. If this beer was just a light beer I will give this beer a higher grade. But for what it is call, it is really disappointing.

So overall would I recommend it? As a witbier , NO , as a light beer, YES. You wanna have a witbier go get a Hoegaarden or a 1664 blanc but definitely not this one. As a light beer, definitely yes this taste much better than a Coors light or even a bud light.

3.03/5  rDev -6.8%

A: Pours a nice frothy white head with good lacing. Colour is gold and a bit hazy with a nice stream of carbonation.

S: Wheat, spiciness, light honey, cereal (Honey combs ? lol)

T: Honey combs cereal, light lemon, base malt, a bit of spiciness from hops.

M: Spritzy carbonation, (a bit too carbonated IMO) Carbonation cleans away the taste too much and too fast. I like my witbier with more character.

O: Good beer that can be drank in a session. The Taste and Smell do lack a bit of character as I feel this beer is a bit safe. Carbonation is way to high IMO.

2.4/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

It has nothing amazing and it is a average beer. It isn't that cloudy and it is straw color. I like the citrus notes and ginger in this beer. I think it would be good if there wouldn't be ginger. It isn't too watery and it smells like ginger ale. I drank it first from the bottle and after from a glass and it seems a lot better from the bottle but i can't find why.

3.06/5  rDev -5.8%

From notes. Original tasting: Aug. 28, 2008.

Poured from a 341ml. bottle.

Appearance: Pours a nice body, yellow & hazy. Very thick and insistant head.

Smell: Spices and lemon mostly but discreet.

Taste: aste is light with floral overtones, lemon without the tartness and a spice that i can’t put my finger on.

Mouthfeel & Overall: Not very impressed. Not sure why but i think this one isn’t for me, something about the taste. Won’t try again.

3.36/5  rDev +3.4%

Single bottle from a mixed pack brought back from Montreal.

Poured into a Hoegaarden tumbler. A straw-golden colour, murky, with the pour leaving about an inch of head that seems to retain pretty well. Good lacing patches.

Nose is mild spices, coriander, citrus, lemon poultry seasoning. A bit off, but it's not bad.

A bit thin, not much to this, save for an intriguing little ginger kick that's quite potent. Coriander, citrus, spices as well. Dry finish.

Creamy, thicker-mouthfeel, soft carbonation. Easy to quaff.

While this is certainly not a bad wheat beer, it's not altogether very good either. A cut above the usual mass-market "white" beers, and the ginger component is quite nice, but the rest of the flavors don't quite pop. Still, a few of these in the summer would be welcome.

2.78/5  rDev -14.5%

341ml poured into a pint glass.

I've been working my way through the sampler pack. Their best offering is still the cuivree.

The colour is an extremely pale yellow with a fluffy head that goes flat quickly.

Lots of coriander and citrus notes in the smell. Wheaty.

The taste was...meh. I suppose it was refreshing, very backyard drinkable in the summer--but the disappointment was that it just seemed thin. Not watered down exactly, but just uncomplicated. Hollow.

Maybe with better hopping it would offer more flavour.

2.51/5  rDev -22.8%

341ml bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance - the beer pours a pale yellow colour with decent size fizzy/foamy white head. There is an average amount carbonation showing. There is some faint lacing on the glass, and the head sticks for a short while.

Smell - First thing that comes to mind when I smelled this beer was 'turkey dinner'. Perhaps in the spice mix they use and what my mother likes to cook with.. but that's what I get. Rosemary, coriander, citrus zest... and poultry seasoning?

Taste & Mouth - I can taste what I smell, the rosemary poultry seasoning mix.. Also some coriander and orange notes. The carbonation is average and it has a somewhat creamy feel to it.

Drink - I've said it before; I'm not a fan of wheat beers, but this one is different from the rest. The taste is way too unique for me. I didn't find it appealing at all, and I had to struggle through this glass of beer.

3.72/5  rDev +14.5%

Hazy lemon yellow pour with a moderate head that settles to a film and gives a fair bit of spotty lace. Looks interesting, but a bit odd. Reminds me of Mountain Dew, but not so green.

Nose is lemony citrus and reminds me of a guezue or a spiced ale with a hint of ginger. Intriguing and not quite what I was expecting for a wit. Spritzy and light to drink. Quite subtle spice that doesn't quite live up to the promise of its aroma. Noticable citrus.

Decent lightweight summer beer, worth a quaff.

3.4/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: cloudy yellow,small head that leaves some lace.<

Smell: a bit like citrus,a bit like wheat banana

Taste: a bit like water with citrus flavor, and some spices like ginger I might say

Mouthfeel: watery, light taste, very fine bubbles from carbonation

Drinkability: alright but the taste and everything's weak and light for the style.

witbier can be tasty even if its light.
but here, its just light

341ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Poured light yellow (it has just barely a hint of green to it...) with some haziness and a 1" head. As it went down there was a bit a lacing left. I've seen better looking wheat beers.

S - Aroma was a bit mild but it was a cross between fresh white bread and lemon poppy seed muffins.

T - Light wheat flavour, some citrus and some spiciness. The elements are there but I found it all a bit weak. I also think it lacks some sweetness.

M - Feels average. It's just a bit too light and dry for a wheat beer.

D - It's not offensive and it is drinkable but everything about it says "light beer".

3.05/5  rDev -6.2%

A: Very light, very cloudy, active carbonation. 2 finger head that slowly faded.
S: sweet, herbal, Perfume ish, floral.
T: Clean almost soapy. Herbal powder. One flavor throughout.
M: Acidic, very active/carbonated. Had some bight but was light and thin.
D: Sure i would drink it again. Not sure if i would buy it again but an average beer. Easy to drink.

4.07/5  rDev +25.2%

Poured a 341-ml bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - cloudy, flourescent yellow beer with thin, evenly foamed head with foamy lacing sloping up the sides.

Smell - very floral and citrusy, with fresh leaves and spices dancing around together. Fully aromatic with the images of spring flowers immediately coming to mind.

Taste - nice even bitterness right from the start, breaking to offer some citrus spice and then back to the tart wheat and hop bitters. Not the weighty wheat flavour typical of the style, obviously brewed lighter to have a much fresher and more refreshing effect.

Mouthfeel - pretty balanced and decent complexity. Crisp enough to be refreshing as well.

Drinkability - this is a good beer. A lot of white beers have been brought out lately, it's like it's the in-thing. I'm not slamming the style but a lot of the new products are weaker offerings, a "me too" approach from many breweries. This product is pretty authentic and more on its own, which is a plus as far as I'm concerned. I'm going to have another when I'm done this one.

4.11/5  rDev +26.5%

nice pale straw color, not cloudy like it should be though
smells of citrus and light fruit esters,
very well balanced spice and yeast notes, great session beer but not an authentic wit.
smooth and easy drinking. i like this beer and will buy it again and again. great in the summer

3.21/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a mug.

This beer has a very nice apearance, cloudy straw yellow in color with wispy white swirls on the surface.

A pretty pronounced citrus orange peel nose. In the mouth this beer is rich with bitterness of citrus, lime and intense lemon, but slightly astringent and numbing on the finish as well.

Good but not memorable.

3.55/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Traditional wheat appearance but not very "white"; it's cloudy but not opaque. Pale golden color. Light head, little lace.

Surprising apricot aroma--of course there is wheat. Not overpowering.

Spicy bite to the flavor, almost as if there was fresh jalepino pepper in the brew. Not strongly wheaty. Prickly. Full bodied.

Overall, I'd say this is a good, not great, wheat beer.

2.74/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This was a disappointing Witbier, considering I had the cuivree in the same session, and was expecting better from Boreale. The beer was very pale, very watery light. This is one of the clearest Witbiers I've seen. The aroma was a bit peppery and spicy and the best part of the experience.

There just were no characteristic fruits or florals to this Wit. It was too dry in the finish and just lacked the sweetness I come to expect in the style. This was just poorly representative of a wit. It had some drying wheaty character. I would skip this one and head to the Cuivree if you have your mind set on a Boreale.

3.77/5  rDev +16%

bouteille brune de 341ml.

surprenante bière blanche de belle couleur jaune-or légèrement trouble, la mousse se dissipe rapidement par contre. odeur prononcé d'épices, coriande en grain, d'agrume, citron orange. goût tout aussi agréable d'agrume. bonne bière rafraichissante.

2.67/5  rDev -17.8%

# 4 in a taster from Quebec.

Served from a 341 ml brown twist off bottle into a pint glass.

A- Murky yellow with a frothy head settling down within a minute or two leaving some respectable lace.

S- Malty with lots of wheat and spice with strong ginger root aromas. Actually very inviting.
( Lemon aromas increase gradually as you drink )

T- Generally malty. Some flavors of wheat and fresh baked bread. Not much to speak of in terms of citrus flavors except for a hint (and I mean HINT) of lemon. The flavor seems to be dominated by flavors of ginger.

M- Powdery, light in body but over carbonated and slightly thin in my opinion.

D- Would probably be great in the "dog days" of summer.

Overall not my favorite wheat. A decent wheat but the flavor and body are not my cup of tea. Probably my least favorite of the Boreale brews I have tried to date.

A = light straw yellow, decent thin white head, somewhat cloudy, thin carbonation, well laced, intriguing
S = citrusy, spicy, appealing
T = citrusy, spicy, weak wheat character, no added lemon needed
M = pleasant, smooth, foamy
D = highly drinkable, satisfying

3.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I brought this one back from a trip to Quebec. They served it on tap over there, but I am reviewing the bottle I had at home.

It poured a light straw yellow, with fairly nice head.

Aromas of citrusy fruits and basil in the nose.

The mouth feel was very pleasant, with a nice carbonation. Flavors of orange peel all over. A little sour finish.

A very drinkable beer during a hot Summer day.

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

A- Cloudy, golden. Small head that decreases to a nice little ring of bubbles. Little bubbles coming up through the beer.

S- Slight yeast and spice. Orange and lemon. Overall, very appetizing.

T- Too watery. Bit of hops on finish. Nice slighly sour, citrussy middle.

MF- Smooth and foamy but too thin and watery. A little astringency.

A decent blanche, but needs less water and more Beer to its character.
D- easy to drink, but too watery overall. Thirst quenching.

3.28/5  rDev +0.9%

One of my CANBIF beers, available to me from the42ndtourist. Blue and white polar bear label and cap. The back label says the beer is made with oats, wheat and barely, along with spices. I have never seen this recommendation before though: "To savour it fully, turn the bottle gently upside down for a moment before serving." Interesting. I think I will just pour some of the beer, swirl the bottle, and serve it that way. That sounds safer to me. Interesting medicinal smell on first popping the cap. Blanche pours with a nice big white head, worthy of a witbier. Bright white and fine, like ice cream. The beer is almost lemon-juice coloured, with cascading sheets of yeast and sediment clearly making known the unfiltered aspect of the brew. Especially near the top of the beer, the appearance is a very murky green colour. Thick pockets of lacing stuck well to the glass. The smell is indeed medicinal, almost like lemon cough drops. Yes, a great deal of lemon in the smell, along with cloves, allspice, and rising dough or fresh pastry. Very unique, reminding me of St Peter's Lemon and Ginger beer from England. Tons of dough and lemon cough drop notes. Very interesting, but not really appetising. I must say the oats combined with wheat and barley make for an elusive aroma experience: sometimes I get croutons, sometimes nutty bread, and big hits of sourdough. Oregano. Cinnamon. As I said, very singular, but it just does not mix right--it does not impel you to want to take a sip. When I did take a sip, it was all exactly as the smell had told me. Nutty bread, cardboard, some mint, more lemon cough drops, and an overall taste that does not quite work. Extremely medicinal--like Neo Citron. I was expecting the taste to be a little sweeter too, but it is dull and rather tasteless. Not a lot of complexity either. The mouthfeel has medium carbonation, is rather watery and not very full. Give me a glass of Hoegaarden over this any day. It is fairly drinkable, maybe on a hot day and served super cold. The label really makes it sound more interesting, but this is not something I would buy very often.

2.73/5  rDev -16%

A nothing special but quaffable wheat. Strong alcoholic whiff from a 4.2%. Cloudy yellow orange, Minimal head, tiny lace to look at. Too carbonated for its own good..pardon me. Some lemon and ginger zesty bite. Drying finish. Passable at the end of a hot day, but a herbal tea beer.

3.47/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a white yellow ale with a thin white bubbly head with minimal retention. Aroma is dominated by ginger, which is a bit surprising for a witbier. Taste is also dominated by ginger thought I can still taste the wheat and some subtle coriander. Very refreshing beer that I will appreciate better comes summer. Probably doesn’t respect the style limitation of a witbier but still enjoy this quite a lot.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Boréale Blanche from Brasseurs Du Nord Inc.