Boréale Cuivrée - Brasseurs Du Nord Inc.

Boréale CuivréeBoréale Cuivrée

good

Brasseurs Du Nord Inc. visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: the42ndtourist on 10-29-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by mikeg67:
mikeg67

3.49/5  rDev -3.1%

12 oz bottle. Pours amber with short lived white head and lively carbonation. Aroma is of caramel malt, ripe fruit and herbal hops. Body is medium and smooth. Earthy hops, caramel malt and fruity esters combine on the palate. Long finish becomes dry through alcohol. Somewhat sweet, but nice brew.

12-16-2013 15:42:44 | More by mikeg67
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

The bottle says its malty, the name is Belgian. A decent little beer here. Pours whitish like a wheat beer and big white head. Aroma is a tad fruity and spicey. Easy mouthfeel, comes to a bit of funky yeast in the finish. Well quaffable.Not too sweet.

09-21-2008 01:20:04 | More by Sammy
Yoonisaykul

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Haven't had this one in a while. Best before date was 3 days ago. I don't think it'll make a big difference.

A- Cuivrée is right. This is a very nice clear copper. Groups of bubbles come up regularly but the head let up very fast on both bottles I sampled.

S- Sweet malt and brewer's yeast. A little alcohol. Red licorice.

T- Like the smell. Very malty. Really reminds me of yeast food supplements. I remember the first time I had this (maybe 3 years ago) I thought the alcohol was so strong. Feels a lot smoother to me now. A little metallic in the end.

M- Medium to high carbonation. Far from dry.

D- Pretty good. 6.9% is well hidden.

The first time I had this I already liked it even though it was a little bit of a challenge for me to finish. Tasting it again, I'm pretty sure this is my favorite Boréale beer. It's not as flavorful as I remeber it being though...maybe because of the bit of age on it.

04-17-2010 04:00:11 | More by Yoonisaykul
eat

3.78/5  rDev +5%

I've always thought this to be my favorite Boreal. When I was first getting away from macro beers I used to drink their rousse all the time but ended up getting really sick of it. Their blonde is nothing special while their white and stout are terrible. So I'm going to start with cuivree, the Boreal with the best chance of getting a good review.

Not a bad looking beer at all. Cuivree translates to "coppered" in English and they've got the colour right on; a bright, clear copper. It started off with a decent, creamy looking head and now has a respectable layer of foam with some lacing.

Strong wild-flower honey smell along with some yeast and light roasted malt. Not a bad smelling beer at all, though it's a little sweet.

Tastes almost exactly like it smells. A bit too much on the sweet side for my taste, but there's a nice honey flavour there along with some roasted malt. Not particularly well balanced; all malty-sweetness with almost no bitterness and absolutely no hops present. At 6.9% ABV, it's just as smooth as any of their standard 5% beers and sold at the same price. Not amazing in any way but if you have to drink Boreal, I think this still gets my vote as their best. Tastier and more potent than their other offerings; at the same price this is the one to buy.

Medium bodied with medium-high carbonation. Maybe a bit too carbonated but not a bad feel.

Yeah, this is drinkable. I hold a prejudice against Boreal since they're kind of like Quebec's Sleemans but this beer is pretty alright. For the price it's not a bad deal, especially with the 2% extra ABV for free.

06-18-2009 03:21:57 | More by eat
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

Bottle: Deep amber brew with a medium size head with more or less retention time. Alcohol is not subtle on the nose or on the tongue. The body is medium and this brew would have been better if the body had been stronger to support the higher alcohol taste. Another one in the so-so colum for Boréale.

12-23-2003 13:38:05 | More by Phyl21ca
bloberglawp

4.35/5  rDev +20.8%

This is not a belgian style ale, get your facts right. This beer yells ESB.

Aroma of british malt, orange blossom honey and hints of pear. Flavor of pure malted barley with a firm
(but not overwhelmingly aromatic) bitter finish.

Think Fullers ESB when you try this one, its a awesome english styler strong ale.

03-15-2009 23:47:36 | More by bloberglawp
3Vandoo

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

A copper beer with medium carbonisation, that shown a promising white foamy head that unfortunately dissapeared after saying "hello".

Smell of honey, coriandre and some spices. A core smell is present in this beer, like copper making me wondering why the beer is name Boréale Cuivré (copperized).

Taste sweet, malt, the feeling of water is quite present a bit too much for my own taste. A copper taste is there, very drinkable, not a bad brew

04-28-2005 05:25:21 | More by 3Vandoo
the42ndtourist

Ontario (Canada)

4.45/5  rDev +23.6%

Now, I know I've mentioned before things like how Fin du Monde and Trois Pistoles do excellent things in disguising their alcoholic strength. Well, maybe I was exaggerating a bit, but this really does do that. A coppery coloured ale with the proper two fingers head, the Cuvee tastes like a pleasantly malty ale of standard strength. (and at this, I don't think I'm putting up much of a front) The taste is smooth, and as I mentioned, malty - there's probably some caramel malt in there. It's not very complex, which is surely another factor in its seeming like a normal type ale. No hops in this one (according to the brand mantra of pure barley malt).
Excellent!

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

02-03-2014 17:35:53 | More by lesdemonsamaporte
papat444

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

Had this on tap at Le Fripon.

Huge showing of hanging lacing all the way to the bottom. Color of the body is a troubled orange Dry hops, lingering tea-like bitterness, bit piney, lots of dry orange. Pleasantly surprised by this one. I`d session this for sure.

10-20-2013 21:55:10 | More by papat444
jneiswender

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a hotel water cup.

A-off-white head-very thick, gem brown amber body

S-toffee and fruit, raisin like

T-sweet malt front for most part with a bitter orange aftertaste

M-medium

D-very drinkable. Nice flavor overall but not a session beer.

08-18-2009 18:54:50 | More by jneiswender
Whatup14

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

04-17-2013 13:51:30 | More by Whatup14
hopdog

3.1/5  rDev -13.9%

341ml bottle shared courtesy of Josh. BB Apr '07.

Poured a medium to deeper golden color with a small sized off white head. Aromas of soem fruitiness, driied citrus rinds, and caramel. Tastes of caramel and lighter fruitiness.

Notes from 7/11/08.

12-17-2008 16:56:49 | More by hopdog
simskl

Connecticut

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Poured into a tall beer glass it gave a smallish head that receeded quite quickly. The color was very nice, copper/amber and clear.

S: The smell was clean, with only a hint of the hoppiness that I was hoping to get a sense of.

T: Taste was kind of malty (IMO), maybe it's the brewing style but I expected more of a hoppy bitterness than I got with it. Overall though it was very pleasant.

M: It wasn't as heavy as I expected, and dissapeared almost as soon as I swallowed. There was a hint of alcohol bite but not too much.

D: Very drinkable, for a 6.9% ABV, it went down a little too easily. I had to be careful not to overdo it.

02-01-2008 18:10:19 | More by simskl
Tuey13

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

This beer pours a beautiful copper color in my pint glass, since Cuivrée means copper in French this is spot on :-)
Little head but very carbonated... Looks refreshing for the cool Québec day.
I can smell a little yeast but mostly sweetness like caramel and toffee. I think this more of an ESB/Bock hybrid than a Belgian style in my opinion.
Taste is definitely sweet, a little alcohol, but very smooth. Definitely has some strong malt flavors and a bit of bitter hopiness... But very smooth as I find with all Boréale beers. They are one of my favorites when I'm here with my fiancé who is Québecoíse.
I enjoyed this beer.. A bit thin as evidenced by the lack of lacing, but I thought it was quite well balanced and smooth for 6.9abv.
A bit too sweet for many, but I thought it complimented the cool Canadian air, sweet and fresh. ;)

08-22-2012 00:06:29 | More by Tuey13
rale

12-29-2013 03:20:06 | More by rale
oldp0rt

11-24-2011 02:21:58 | More by oldp0rt
01121987

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

pale-golden copper color
smells of caramel and faintly of fruit esters
tastes of sweet caramel and light esters in backround, a bit sweet. nice alcohol warmth.
smooth and sweet mouthfeel with little perceived bitterness
very drinkable but not my favorite beer.
i would not classify it as belgian in my book. some sort of strong ale.
probably wont buy it again.

04-01-2009 20:33:20 | More by 01121987
JOaikido

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Best before 21 December 2006 (notched).

A- Coppery-amber colour. Acceptable bubbliness. Smallish off-white head that settles rapidly to a thick ring and thin foam middle.

S- Malt, fruity notes, faint smokiness. Alcohol more and more noticeable as the beer warms.

T- Caramel malt. Yeasty taste (strong considering it is not bottle conditioned). Alcohol quite noticeable, but not bad. Mice maltiness, but the bitter aftertaste is a little off and doesn't mesh well with the rest.

MF- Soft, full mouthfeel. Possibly the beer's best quality. Makes it pleasant to sip.

D- Lack of balance, strong flavour and alcohol character combine to limit drinkability.

I enjoyed this beer, but less than I expected from past experience.

10-11-2006 16:39:04 | More by JOaikido
albern

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

Of the Boreale brand, this is the best offered. It is labeled as a strong Belgian, although that label is a bit of a stretch in my view.

This pours a clear amber with a white soapy head that dissipates quickly. There is little carbonation to this beer, it is a bit syrupy in consistency, and tastes a bit like a sweet bock.

There are sweet malts and warming alcohol in the nose. The taste is rum soaked sweet pineapple, there is some amberish tastes, slightly peaty as well. The beer takes on more Belgian characteristics as it settles where you will find more of a throaty sweet Belgian ale with a peppery finish. There is also some caramel in the taste.

Not a bad beer. I had this recently in Canada, and compared to most other brews up North, excluding of course Unibroue, this was one of the better brews off the shelf.

07-09-2008 09:58:52 | More by albern
OnThenIn

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: an inch and a half of slightly off white head that dissipates quickly. This brewery seems to struggle with good head retention. No lacing on the glass. The beer is a nice very dark copper, amber color.

Smell: There is a definite fruityness to the smell. It is quickly backed by some sweet malt aroma. There is some piney hop aroma but it was at the backed end of the full smell. There is a hint of alcohol.

Taste: Sweet malt with a fruity flavor and with a bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: This is a very nicely carbonated beer with a medium to full body. Really enjoyable mouthfeel.

Drinkability: This is a pretty decent beer, but its definitely enjoyable once in a while. The mouthfeel makes a deliciously drinkable.

07-25-2009 00:13:41 | More by OnThenIn
Socialiste

05-18-2014 13:53:19 | More by Socialiste
wizo

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

11-16-2013 20:47:30 | More by wizo
Matt1516

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

This bottle was part of a promotional sample pack that included a taster's guide with malted grains to smell and chew while your beer warms in the glass. A nice touch.

The appearance is copper as expected, the head disappears quickly. The smell has hints of caramel and the mouthfeel hints at its carbonation. I enjoyed how despite the higher ABV, there was no alcohol punch. It tasted like a classic ESB: nice hoppiness and yeasty as well. Very drinkable

12-23-2010 03:57:02 | More by Matt1516
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Boréale Cuivrée from Brasseurs Du Nord Inc.