Schinner Bernstein Unfiltriert - Brauhaus Schinner

Kellerbier / Zwickelbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: paterlodie on 05-19-2005

Reviews by stevoj:
3.46/5  rDev n/a

Quite a surprise. Pours deep brown wit thick, fluffy beige head. Aroma is light toasted malt. Taste is where this beer really gets going. Slightly sweet and nutty, tangy, roast grains, brown sugar with a light bitterness on the tail end. Mouthfeel is litle light, but overall nice finish and lingering palate.

4.45/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I grabbed this beer at my local Getraenktemarkt with no knowledge of what to expect. I figured "it's a Kellerbier, I'll give it a try."

I poured it into my 1/2 liter mug and was a little surprised to find that it was a dark Kellerbier. Nice brown color, and a beautiful 2" head. There was yeast still in the bottle as I rinsed it out.

The taste was better than the appearance! Somewhere between a wheat beer, a dark wheat beer, and a Dunklebrau, but better than any of them! A thoroughly enjoyable beer.

I will be getting more of these on my next trip to the beer store.

3.98/5  rDev n/a

I spotted this swing-top bottle on the shelf in Redmonds of Ranelagh Dublin, and having developed a taste for unfiltered keller bier in Salzburg before Christmas I bought one.

This poured a slightly hazy (some sediment left in the bottle) dark brown brew with a good off-white head. I had expected a lighter colour. Not that much to smell, but an excellent slightly malty taste with some sweetness. Not very complex, but very tasty.

This would be an excellent session beer, and it was reasonably priced. I will definitely be buying this again.

4.2/5  rDev n/a

BB 03-08-05. Quiet a good presentation with normal head and nice amberto brown beercolor. litle haze from bigger particles but ok kellerbeer. Nose saying that its maltbased beer; nice amber/caramel taste surrounded by good (spalt?)hops. Then even litle yestesters giving you ripe apple. Taste is also very much maltbased but then from the best. Litle burnt, very caramellic and still dry taste. Woww somthing good; one of the first beers that are dry, dark, fullybodied and hardly any burnt taste. Hoora for the malter and brewer. Makes me dream back to my old days studying in Weihenstephan and going to Fraenkische Schweiz just to drink beer like this! Great beer IMO.

4.08/5  rDev n/a

Appearance
Deep, dark brown; four-finger head

Smell
Yeast, hops, lemon

Taste & Mouthfeel
Good bitterness with an even malt sweetness; toasted malts, chocolate, and light notes of coffee; crisp and fully carbonated mouthfeel, thin body

Overall
Very flavorful and well done.

1.25/5  rDev n/a

I didn't like it but then I don't like most German Dunkel beers. I was surprised when I poured it from the bottle since this is the first Kellerbier that I've had that was a dark beer.

Schinner Bernstein Unfiltriert from Brauhaus Schinner
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.