Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Benchwarmer Porter - Cooperstown Brewing Company

Benchwarmer PorterBenchwarmer Porter

Cooperstown Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

English Porter |  6.30% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 09-24-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Benchwarmer Porter Alström Bros
firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

12 oz. bottle, poured into an imperial pint glass

A: Pours a mostly opaque black, with some light able to penetrate at the bottom of the glass. Has a light tan head that quickly dissipates into a thin film. Little to no lacing on the glass.

S: Roasted, malty aroma that smacks of espresso.

T: Very pronounced malt presence with flavors of coffee and chocolate. Bitter in a way similar to espresso.

M: Light carbonation and a medium-thick texture. Certainly not as heavy as a RIS, but a pleasantly substantial mouthfeel.

D: Just the right amount of carbonation to render this a very drinkable beer. The great flavor doesn't hurt, either.

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

Went to the brewery as part of a Cooperstown Beverage Trail run with some family. On the way out, picked up a mixed 12-pack of all of Cooperstown's offerings.

Served in a nonic, as with all my brews. Poured out coffee brown with a half inch of light tan foam. The aroma was everything you'd expect from a porter, roasted coffee. The taste was sweeter than I was expecting, leaving only a light bitter aftertaste. It went down smooth, with a light fizz. All in all, I was surprised. After so much diacetyl in all of their lighter beers, I wasn't expecting such a good porter.

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My favorite porter... I've only had this on draft so it may be different out of the bottle but this is definately one of my favorites. It's a nice pretty much black color with a caramel color head. It is quite carbonated, which is probably mentioned in other reviews, but works well with this drink. It smells chocolately, tastes like mocha/coffee and the aftertaste makes me think of dark chocolate. That may sound like a lot of chocolate coffee taste, but it's definately not excessive, it's just perfect. I have Benchwarmers every Saturday night at the local pub and I can drink them all night with a few IPA's in there every now and then.

Overall a great beer, my favorite porter as I said before. I think the extra carbonation might be one of the factors that attracts me to this one over other porters. The taste is definately there, but never overwhelming. I can put these back one after another and enjoy every single one. Drink this beer.

3.77/5  rDev +0.3%

A. Poured from a bottle into a Hennepin glass. Appears almost black at first, though when held up to the light appears to be more of a dark brown with hints of red. Fairly little head, only a half an inch or so.

S. Smells of bitter/sweet chocolate. Also some hints of coffee and roasted malt.

T. Mild taste of unsweated chocolate, coffee, syrup. Finishes off with a bitter taste that lingers for quite a while.

M. Creamy with moderate carbonation. Overall, feels pretty light for the taste.

D. This beer is quite drinkable. It's fairly light in taste, but has enough flavor to be interesting. I could easily drink 2 or 3 of these.

4.02/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I tried the Benchwarmer Porter at the Cooperstown Brewery (where I recommend taking the tour). I do not usually go out of my way for porters, but I liked this one.
The beer was quite dark, but not as dark as some. Kind of a reddish brown. The smell was very pleasant, a bit nutty and plenty malty. I enjoyed the taste very much. It is not as sweet as some porters, and had a nice earthy aftertastes.
Drinkable, but I would not sit down for a long session just with the Benchwarmer.

3.92/5  rDev +4.3%

Bottle poured into pint glass.

a- pours into the glass with little head. the head that is present is a light tan color. The beer is a deep brown color with hints of crimson when held up to a light.

s - the maltyness really comes through. I caught some hints of smokiness.

t - the roasted malt packs a punch with the first sip. bitterness kicks in and sticks around for a while. at first the bitterness was unpleasent but after the second pass is began to enjoy it.

m - great carbonation, not soo much that it feels like fire crackers accross my toungue but enough to let you know it's a beer.

d - overall a great porter. It makes me a little angry to know that I went to college 20 miles from here and never visted the brewery. this is a definite staple in my fridge.

1.7/5  rDev -54.8%

When I first opened the bottle, it foamed for longer than 1 minute - and kept foaming after every sip after that. Bottle I had was way too over-carbonated and harsh on the throat. Not a pleasant drink or feel at all. Maybe it was just a bad batch, but I won't be buying anymore.

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last