Obolon Premium - Obolon Brewery

poor

Obolon Brewery visit their website
Ukraine

Euro Pale Lager |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: canadianbarman on 02-27-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Obolon Premium Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +45.4%

Yeah, it's me taking it in the CAN as part of the ongoing madness known as The CANQuest (TM). M'man, crossovert, put me onto a EuroMarket that CAN sell beer and they have a buncha CANs available, plus Kvass, so I quickly put in an order.

Jesus H. Christ, I have run through the Russians in a way that the Nazis could have only dreamed about! I took delivery on Thursday and I am almost out of the CANs and even the Kvass is dwindling. I am now exploring the idea of one of the artistes formerly known as a Mail-Order Bride, now an Internet Bride, from Russia or Eastern Europe. If she CAN cook (although I know how), plus bring some beer with her (especially in a CAN), I may have a place in my life for such a person. Zadrovia, kamarades!

Whoops! The Feebs just started banging on my door, again. Why izzit that every time I mention Russians, Communism, armed revolution or anything tangentially on those subjects, that I get a visit? I had better get my review in as they have begun to draw both weapons and cuffs. Don't taze me, bro! How about a review? Nice of you to Cask.

According to an importer's label, this was a "Famous Ukrainian beer, brewed with Old World recipes, using the finest ingredients." Beyond that, I need the translator mentioned in the first paragraph. Remember how turned on Gomez Addams was by Morticia "Tish"'s speaking of French? I would be the equivalent in Russian. No BS, if you were not a linguist or dealing in espionage, you had NO business trucking with the Russkies in Ronnie Reagan's Navy and even dreaming about them was cause for investigation.

I fell in love in Haifa, Israel with a Kiev, Ukraine expat. She had the longest legs of any woman that I have ever been with. I met her while on liberty on our first night inport and other than my duty day, we were inseparable. Talk about a Mutt 'n' Jeff pair, she towered over me! Actually, we were more Muff 'n' Jeff, since that was where my head was in relation to her. She was an Amazon! I still think of her, occasionally. Like now.

This was their "Export Beer" and the finger of bone-white head exported itself pretty quickly. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy golden yellow. Nose had a pleasant maltiness, lager as lager should be. What?!? Real, unadulterated lager? In a CAN?!? On the same night as thinking of my Ukrainian honey honey? No! My birthday was LAST Friday. Pinch me, I'm dreaming. Export this more often, along with some UralGurls. Mouthfeel was medium with hints of honey and malted barley. Dang, but this was goood! Finish was super smoooth and threatened to disappear in a heartbeat.

Cooler? Heck, yes, Daddy-O! I'm headed to the beaches of the Black Sea to see what inhabits the bikinis of that neck of the woods and I should bring a cooler since it may be an all-day project.

3.95/5  rDev +40.1%

Clear gold color. Leaves a thick bubbled head of 3mm which disappears in no time. Good continual carbonation. A very small amount of lace remains on the sides of the glass.

Smell is herbal and grassy with some muddyness. Slightly skunky too. Smells more like a Czech pils than it does an American macro lager.

Taste is malty and smooth. Just the slightest hop bite.
Finishes crisp. Its a little on the thin side but it would be decent on a hot day. Quite drinkable. I'd buy this again.

3.88/5  rDev +37.6%

Avoid the green bottles-- mine was in a yellow can-- and you can avoid the off-flavors associated with this normally sub-par beer.

Poured from the can, it was light yellow colored and had a nice white head; no surprises.
But the taste was actually decent, with some light hop flavors and a nice maltiness.

I wouldn't cross a busy street of traffic to get to one, but I'd enjoy another can if you gave it me.

3.78/5  rDev +34%

The beer poured a gold color with a frothy white head. The aroma was good. There was a bit of sweet malty aroma here. The taste was a bit unusual, but too bad. It was malty to the palate and finishes dry. The mouthfeel was fine; good carbonation. This is a low/med bodied beer. A good drinker.

3.75/5  rDev +33%

3.63/5  rDev +28.7%

Names are deceptive. This Premium is far from the Germanic tradition but very close to Czech one. Hoppy, aromatic and round it resembles some Bohemian beers especially those from Ceske Budejovice. Color is pale, lots of flowers (yeast?) and hops in aroma, spritzy start, firm body, unexpectedly sweetish finish. Honest mass-production beer.

3.58/5  rDev +27%

Same green 500 ml bottle as with the Lager. Appearance is a darker gold, but the head was lacking--merely a splash of huge dish soap like bubbles and that was it. A decent spider web of lacing though. Aroma is husky and bready, that biscuity trait I've picked up in most Eastern European lagers and especially pilsners. Floral hops in the mix as well. Flavour is grainy, bready, a bit metallic, with an herbal hoppy finish. A decent balance between malt and hops. Fuller mouthfeel but goes down as easy as the Lager. Given a choice of the two I'd take the Premium, but I still won't be racing back to pick up another one of these too soon.

3.5/5  rDev +24.1%

Pourde a slightly hazy golden color. Very modest head with little retention power.
Smell is grainy and slightly sweet.
Taste is very similiar to a euro lager, with a modest crispness ans a light biterness at the finish.
Nice and refreshing with no bad aftertaste.
A nice plesant beer. Maybe a notch above the domestics, but not much.

3.43/5  rDev +21.6%

The after its disinterment from the 500ml green bottle it sets in the glass a clear light gold or straw color if your so inclined, the head monolithic in size, a bright white in color and the texture frothy, as it erodes rather quickly, the residual lace forms a thin but encircling curtain to drape the glass. Nose is sweet malt, fresh and clean to the senses; start is lightly sweet with a light to moderate grain presence and the top light to middling in feel to the palate. Finish is worthwhile in its acidity; the hops are orthodox in their spiciness, quite dry aftertaste, a drinkable beer, refreshing in its own right.

3.4/5  rDev +20.6%

I think we really need to create a "Euro macro lager" style...there are so many Euro lagers that are only slightly better done than American macros.

Decent golden-straw colour with the standard fizzy white head. Okay smell: malt, adjunct, faint bits of hop. Okay in that it is not as skunky as some American ones.

Taste is a slight improvement over blah. Definite adjunct flavours. Weak malts, shallow hops. Grassy and skunky hints. Not too watery, and there is some flavour there.

Drinkable. I guess these are great when you're in a Kiev disco and don't want hard liquor.

3.38/5  rDev +19.9%

Drank many of these when I lived in Ukraine. Have tried both the bottled/draught in Ukraine and bottled stateside, and must admit, I think it tastes better on its home turf. Appearance was golden and clean with less than a finger's width worth of head. Smell, unremarkable, typical crisp, euro-style lager. Taste was a light, effervescant hoppy taste with a clean finish. Nothing to write home about. Mouthfeel was unnoticeable. Very light on the mouth and eyes. Easy drinking beer, especially if you have a chance to quaff a few in Ukraine, where they are about 40 cents a bottle.

3.35/5  rDev +18.8%

Yellow in color, but not hazy. (Perhaps I didn't chill it enough.) Pours with a flourish of foam which subsides to a thin collar. Strange vegetal aroma, but not off-putting, more intriguing than anything else. Very smooth and sweetish with a little burst of hops in the middle. Slight honeyish flavor. Finishes somewhat sweet with just a tinge of hop spice. Very drinkable. Somewhat strong. A good deal at 99 cents a half-liter.

3.33/5  rDev +18.1%

Obolon Premium is a pallid yellow color with a fizzy head that quickly fled to Western Europe and was never seen again. Either that, or the suede/denim secret police got it. It really looks disturbingly like urine. Smells and tastes like an American Macro, though there's also a hint of something that reminds me of beef jerky. Tastes "hard," or mineralized, kind of like those caffeinated mints; there's an acrid, bitter center to this beer. Slightly metallic. I would cautiously say that I think this is better than BMC, hence the just-above-average scores for smell and taste. But only just.

I really have to stop drinking beers from behind the Iron Curtain.

3.33/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from a 16.9 oz green euro slender bottle.

Pours a beautiful piss yellow, excuse me a light yellow, topped by a crackly white head, good carbonation in the look.

Smell is euro lager skunk-funk, vegetable esters, and some lemon juice.

Taste is of some honey, gala apples, untoasted grain, slight hop bitterness, toasted white bread. Not as bad as I would have assumed.

We all need to remind ourselves that we are rating beers against it's style. This one is not world shaking but I honestly don't know of any Euro or American Macro Lagers that are.

This isn't to bad of a brew, not my style but not sure I wouldn't pick up again.

3.3/5  rDev +17%

16.9 oz green bottle with the neat raised letters in the glass. No apparent freshness dating.

Beer pours a very light gold with a decent head. Note that the foam looks like soap suds due to the large bubbles. Slight lacing.

Very pronounced odor when I opened the bottle. Clear smell of flowery hops and pepper. I could smell this beer two feet away. Nice fresh smelling with no skunk aroma.

Taste is decent but on the mild side. Given the smell, I was hopping for a little more aggressive taste. I get a fresh grain taste with subtle pine from the hopping . Taste in freakishly neutral. What I mean, is this beer does not lean towards either end of the malt or hop spectrum ( not the least bit sweet or spicy). However, as the beer warms a bit, the hops seem to take a slight upper hand.

Mouthfeel is fine, but could be improved with a little more aggressive carbonation. Drinkability is fine, but this would not be a “first” choice beer for me. Would go good with most foods. I would also like to try this fresh on tap, as I think it may improve without the journey across the Atlantic.

3.28/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Far from actual "american macro lager" in my eyes, this was a somewhat refreshing example of a euro lager, leaning in the direction of a Czech pilsner. A fizzy pour yields a small foamy head. Who wants to wait around for 10 minutes to get rid of excess foam? This one is ready to go...

Smells ok, nothing of note except mild funky hops, and sweet corn. Taste is clean, somewhat sweet and malty, light dry grassiness, also reminiscent of manila envelopes. Dry with a kiss of hops. Maybe two would make a nice session, but that's my limit personally.

Mouthfeel is fairly thin, and the pint disappeared in record time...

0.5 L green bottle.

This beer poured a clear, golden color with tall, white foam that slowly settled and left some foam clinging to the glass. There was a good, fine carbonation. The smell had a hint of DMS with some malt and a slightly sweet, grain aroma (corn?). The taste was lightly sweet grain and malt followed by light, aromatic hops. Overall thin. The mouthfeel was smooth and creamy with medium-light body and fine carbonation. Relatively clean finish. This is a not bad pale Euro lager.

3.2/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured a crystal clear yellow with a modest head that quickly reduced to a collar. The aroma was just a little skunky to start, but it warmed to a sweet corn smell. The taste was sweet, malty grain with no noticeable hop presence. The feel was light bodied with fair carbonation. Drinkability was very good. Solid lager, a winner as far as style goes, but not an all-star.

3.2/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from a 500ml green bottle.

Aroma is pretty typical of a lager. Malty and grainy, nothing remarkable or noteworthy. Pours a nice golden color, with a decent head which did not stick around long, with uneven lacing.

Taste is fairly typical for the style. Smooth grain and malt taste, with some hop "bite" on the finish. Has some malty sweetness at first, but the sweetness faded near the end of the bottle. There was one flavor that lingered and stood out to me, which had a slight corn taste. Mouthfeel is smooth with low to medium carbonation.

Overall, this is a pretty typical euro lager, nothing special. Very drinkable.

3.18/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

At a buck-fifty for a 16 oz bottle who could go wrong with a little experimentation? Pours a really light golden color with a 2 finger white head that dissolves into a thin white roof pretty quickly. Aroma is very subdued. I was expecting that Heine euro-lager smell, but was not presented with it. Maybe I got a fresh bottle. Taste is clean with some nice spicy hoppiness coming through at the end. Nice balance, but just not a lot going on. Mouthfeel is a little thin and watery. Overall this was not a bad purchase just for the experience. This would be another good brew for some of my more timid friends. Just a slight amount of flavor. Although the flavor is pleasant, I do like something that is just a little more in your face.

3.15/5  rDev +11.7%

This was a medium yellow clear lager with a very short head, but one that left lace rings around the glass a I drank.

The aroma was of aromatic and skunky hops. A little bit of a turnoff.

The taste was mainly of bitter hops and pine, with light/pale malts underneath but well hidden. Not too bad a blend of flavors.

The mouthfeel was all right, a bit thin. About average drinkability.

Obolon Premium from Obolon Brewery