Mexican Mole Stout - Church Brew Works

No picture uploaded.

Church Brew Works visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Stout |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: PittBeerGirl on 12-31-2007)
Reviews by psuKinger:
psuKinger

1.1/5  rDev -60.3%

Review from memory. This beer is one of the most memorable I have ever had because, to-date, it's the WORST I've ever had.

I like spicy food. I like to add Tobasco sauce to a lot of things. But not my beer. And there is a LOT of tobasco-flavor here. It burns your throat. It burns your lips long after you've set the glass down. It even tingles/burns your nostrils.

It RUINED my mouth for the entire rest of the night. Nothing I ate or drank from there on out got the wretched taste of this beer out of my mouth. Every other beer I tried was *tainted* by chipotle-tabasco pepper flavor. This is the kind of beer that will leave an impression on you, and make you question anything/everything that you ever try again from the brewery that produces it.

A group of 7-8 of us all tried this beer together. One person genuinely enjoyed it. Everyone else thought it was anywhere between "quite bad" and "the worst beer I've ever had". Maybe you're that one guy that will like it. But it's more likely that you should avoid this at all costs. You have been warned.

04-20-2011 13:41:10 | More by psuKinger
Rudgers73

1.75/5  rDev -36.8%

Had this beer while on a trip to Pittsburgh to see a friend. We sat down and ordered some appetizers and I heard the server rattle off some beer choices. I heard Mole Stout and said to myself "well that sounds like something I haven't had before..."

Looks like a nice heavy milk stout or IMP stout with a dark body, dark head, and a certain viscosity. Smells great, smooth chocolate, a little black patent malt, hops. Then I tasted it...

Holy crap this beer is like a perfectly good milk stout with a tablespoon of Tabasco mixed in. Great flavor, sweet, chocolate balanced with malt and hops, then BAM fire in your mouth. Not like a chili beer where it's a hint of spice. This is more like a Thai soup gone wrong. It is like a bloody mary that someone made when they were half-in-the-bag. My throat is tingling and burning in a way that makes me want to cough, although I know coughing wont do me any good.

This stout is terrible.

It looks good, smells good, has great characteristics, until that overwhelmingly spicy flavor hits you. Then, I'm afraid, it was undrinkable...

11-27-2008 02:57:59 | More by Rudgers73
PittBeerGirl

3.73/5  rDev +34.7%

A- Served in a pint glass at Church brew works. Body is is a dense, thick, opaque dark brown/black color that does not allow light to shine through (keep in mind that CBW is dimly lit). When served this brew had a thin tan collar which quickly faded. No lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- The smell is an interesting combination of rich toasted chocolate malt and red hot chili peppers.

T- Upfront is a rich, toasted, somewhat mild chocolate malt with hints of caramel. Seems like your run-of-the-mill stout. The flavor fades on the swallow and virtually no hops kick in. Immediately after the swallow a swarm of red-hot chili peppers burst forth from nowhere that linger on and on and add an exciting and unexpected kick to this brew.

M- Mouthfeel is minimally thick and syrupy. Its not a big stout and the mouthfeel is mild. Low to medium carbonation.

D- This is one exciting novelty beer from CBW. Its definitely outside of the traditional styles they generally brew and adds an adventurous side to the beer offered in this brewpub (the menu is pretty traditional but does offer some off-the-wall selections). But this is just a novelty. Its nothing I would bring a growler home of. I would have this again but its hard to take seriously.

12-31-2007 05:18:04 | More by PittBeerGirl
grayburn

South Carolina

3.8/5  rDev +37.2%

To start things off, I liked this beer quite a bit. The only problem I saw was the drinkability, but this is not the type of beer to ever, ever...be called sessionable. To classify this as an American Stout is a bit off in my opinion, due to the overpowering pepper flavor. Because of that, I rated this beer based on the idea that it was a fruit/vegetable beer. Overall, I found this another great offering by church brew works.

03-08-2009 03:47:49 | More by grayburn
letsgopens

3.45/5  rDev +24.5%

Sampled on-tap at CBW. This interesting and certainly creative stout appears black with some slight woody highlights. The deep tan head holds decently well and leaves some sparse lacing. Looks essentially like any other unsuspecting stout.

The aroma itself is very innocent as well. Appealing; roasted malt with some cocoa and coffee. Semi-sweet and very appetizing. A hint of sticky molasses and dark chocolate float around as well. Up to this point nothing strikes me as odd or even terribly unique.

Now this is where things get interesting. Initially there is a modest roastiness with some of the same semi-sweet/bitter chocolate and cocoa character that the nose implied. A hint or sweet caramel fades in along with a hint of toffee. Reasonable and solid for a stout, but after a second or two and a nice swallow, you begin to feel a faint tickle and a slap of heat hits you right in the chops! Wow, and I don't mean a mild spiciness, I'm talkin' considerable heat. Cayenne clings to the back of your throat and delivers a healthy burn. Its funny because the spiciness doesn't translate on to the palate very strongly, it seems to focus primarily on the back of my throat. Interesting to say the least.

The mouthfeel is thinner for a stout with low/moderate carbonation. The finish is mostly slick but its kind of overwhelmed by the head. That's basically all your senses can focus on. I've had a couple of Chili beers before but this stuff is like nothing else I've tried.

I enjoyed experiencing this brew, but to be honest, after eating I could barely finish a glass. Not because it was too spicy, I tend to have a fairly high tolerance for spice, but because the heat was there more for shock value and novelty rather than to enhance flavor or enjoyment. Not particularly palatable (in the longer run) in my opinion, but still tasty. The only reason I rated the drinkability this high is because the abv is lower and it could be considered a good session beer. Although I'm not sure of anyone who could sit and drink numerous pints of this stuff. A very enjoyable and unique brew concept but I'm not sure I'll be bellying up the bar and ordering several pints any time soon.

01-09-2008 06:48:19 | More by letsgopens
Mexican Mole Stout from Church Brew Works
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.