Oktoberfest - Church Brew Works

to view more.
Ratings: 57 | Reviews: 15
Reviews by Ironcityblackand:
4.15/5  rDev +11.9%

Sampled from a 22oz bomber take out sample, Appearance: Copper orange tone with a nice sized thicket of cream hued head leaes absolutely wonderful amount of lacing spread evenly. Aroma: Slightly toasted nut scented malts with a strong caramel sugary scent running through it with some balancing Hallertau to top it off, solid. Taste: More than I could have hopped for very low expectations for this one, boy was I wrong caramel toasted nut edge this beer is so crisp and smooth and it packs enough flavor to keep me coming back awesome brew, bravo. Syrupy malts with the finishing Hallertau this is a well made version of one of my favorite styles. Mouthfeel: Medium bodied smooth carbonation can't complain here. Drinkability: Is excellent if I were going to go and drink at the brewpub in the fall this is the beer I would find myself with over and over again.

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

Not sure about the on tap "bashing" I thought it was pretty good.

A - Pours a nice light amber with a half inch of head.

S - Slight bit of biscuit malt, touches of caramel, and maybe a bit of hops.

T - Flavor is light, not overly bitter, and has a crisp biscuit like malt with a touch of caramel sweetness. Simple but it works.

M - Light to medium pretty easy to drink.

Overall I think this is right up there with their dunkel at being an easy laid back beer with light flavors.

2.42/5  rDev -34.8%

Pours a orange-ish to yellow color with a small white head. In the aroma, a small earthiness. In the taste, small earthiness and biscuit like malt, but a bit watery. A smooth a light bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry earhtiness in the aftertaste. Kind of watery and thin, expecting a bit more.

3.89/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured ontap, its Octoberfest!

Amber brown in hue with no head but rising carbonation bubbles.

Aroma is of roasted malts and spicy hop.

Following the nose, the brew is lightly caramelized. Brown sugar, and roasted malts. Hop is earthy and tea like, serving its purpose. Hints of fruit too with a nice roasted malt finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit light on carbonation.

Drinkable? Sure. A pretty respectable Octoberfest from the CBW. I could drink more than one at a time but at the pub there is always a good selection to lead me elsewhere.

3.06/5  rDev -17.5%

Appearance - Pours a dark amber with just a hint of a head.No lacing at all.

Smell - I cannot smell a thing.

Taste - Some malt and caramel but none of the sweetness that I look for in an Octoberfest.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied.

Overall -Average beer that has a very dry finish probably won't drink any more of these.

4.1/5  rDev +10.5%

Had four or five of these last weekend at the church brew works and man were they tasty. Really nice clean malt flavor with just a touch of astringency in the finish. Very nice looking beer in the glass. I think it was a mug?? Should have written it down. Very drinkable. Went wonderfully with the very tasty pumpkin pierogies.

4.15/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz. bottle a golden orange color with a little head and some spotty lacing. Smells of sweet malt and a bit of a grassy hop. Taste of sweet malts with a hop bite very crisp, clean, and highly drinkable. I'll be looking forward to drinking this again next year.

3.92/5  rDev +5.7%

This is an excellent oktoberfest beer! Very crisp and refreshing, with a deep autumn feel and flavor. It had an excellent rust coloring, a deep harvest scent, it went down smooth, and had a wonderful flavor. I always look forward to fall for the harvest brews and this one was well worth waiting for.

4.35/5  rDev +17.3%

Thanks for bottling this one, Church Brew Works! Malty, nutty nose! Pours a nice copper color with a nice head, that really laces. Medium bodied with an explosion of flavor. Caramel, hazelnut, with a nice dash of hallertau on the finish, racing towards the back of the tongue. Way better than anticipated! Love oktoberfests and this is one of the best I've had this season. Very smooth and sessionable, highly recommended and I'll need some more!

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

Served in the 22 oz. bomber, into a pint glass. The color is copper, with a wisp of white head. The smell is a caramel malt sweetness. The taste is mostly dominated by hoppage, though the caramel malt keeps it fairly nice. Mouthfeel is average. Drinkability-wise, could definitely have quite a few of these.

For my last Oktoberfest of the year, might as well have a local one. A nice Oktoberfest with some actual hoppiness to it, and a beer that I'll certainly put at the top of my list when Oktoberfest rolls around next year.

4.23/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appears as a malty amber beer smells similar with a malty biscuityness that is weak compared to taste. I am from Pa and think this is a yuengling on crack! I travel and look for yuengling as a session beer. This one ups it and makes for nice octoberfest!! Capable of drinking a bunch but at 5.9 just enough to creep up on you. Feels smooth going down and overall I look forward to a couple sessions in the cbw.!!

3.69/5  rDev -0.5%

Light copper/amber color. Thin head with an even glossy coat.

Caramel malts with some toast and an aroma of steeped black tea. Kiss of hops in the nose.

Very bitter bite with musty malts, toasted grain, crisped rice, and toffee. Tea-like notes from the hop/malt combo. A tad metallic in the finish.

Hearty carbonation. Thinner body which promotes the ease of drinking.

A good local Oktoberfest. Something about the Tri-State area and decent German-style beers.

4.19/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very nice Oktoberfest. Upfront malty presence with a smooth finish. Oktoberfests are meant to be drunk "en masse" and this one is no exception. Pittsburgh seems to have a bit of a tradition starting with some very drinkable Oktoberfest beers, and I can see myself putting down a few of these!

3.71/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Super clear orange amber with a small head. One of the best lacings I've seen in a lager.
Smell: A sweet bready quality.
Taste: First impression was not that great, but the more I drank the better I thought it was. A typical malty lager flavor, but very smooth and clean tasting and a nice grassy hop flavor. I think it just took a little of this beer to adjust from my usual dark winter beer. Maybe not as flavorful as I would like my Oktoberfest style beer.
Mouthfeel: Very smooth with a medium mouthfeel.
Drinkability: A good lager.

3.92/5  rDev +5.7%

2002 version. This beer is an attractive orange color with amber highlights. It was served with a rather thin head. As with many of the CBW beers, the aroma is very faint and delicate. More maltiness in this one, with a hint of hops. The hops show up well in the flavor and finish, though. The malt presents a delicious sweetness which is cleansed by the nice bitterness on the finish. I was happy this brew was still available, as I visited in late November. This is a good beer that is both drinkable and enjoyable.

to view more.