Bush Ambrée - Brasserie Dubuisson Frères sprl

Bush AmbréeBush Ambrée

Brasserie Dubuisson Frères sprl visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 09-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bush Ambrée Alström Bros
3.45/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer comes in a medium to deep amber color.

The aroma offers spice, huge caramel sweetness, white raisin.

The beer intensely alcoholic, with it shooting up the nostrils. Caramel sweetness slightly balances it, with lively carbonation, phenolic notes through.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Brasserie Dubuisson Frères – Bush
I’ve been looking forward to trying this one (again) for a while as I was given a bottle of this in a hamper along with a load of other beers before I had discovered the wonderful world of beer. At that time I only drank mass produced lagers, which was what the rest of the hamper consisted of. I remember being shocked by the 12% abv. of this and amused by the name. I also remember that it tasted disgusting (at least that’s what I thought at the time) and that I ended up pouring most of it down the sink! Since discovering craft beer, and being particularly into Belgian brews, friends have told me how much they enjoy this beer, so for this reason I am intrigued to see if my opinion (read: taste) has changed. This is something that interests me, as I’m sure many others have found, when trying to introduce your average ‘unenlightened lager or wine drinker to beers of quality, how they instantly dismiss them as ‘disgusting’ and ‘too strong’, purely because they are not what they were expecting. i.e a bland, ice cold, tasteless, mass produced lager. So here we go…

Appearance: Poured into cognac snifter glass. Beer is bright amber, clear wih half a finger of white head. Medium to high level of carbonation. It actually looks like cognac now that the head has dissipated.

Aroma: Alcohol (not surprising at 12% abv.). Yeast – smells similar to Westvleteren 12. Rust.

Taste: Toffee and malt upfront, followed by liquorice then a bit of warming alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is prickly. Medium – full bodied. Leaves the palate slightly oily with an alcohol warmth at the end.

Overall: I enjoyed this beer this time around and thought that the huge abv. is well hidden. Had I not known it was 12, I would have put it in the 9 region. As a beer it’s good, as a Belgian beer it’s ok. Proof that my taste in beer has changed tremendously over the last 5 years. 7 / 10.

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Got this beer to celebrate my first successful lighting of a show in an HD TV Studio. Bought before we started rolling, while letting it chill in my trunk in the cool fall weather. Cheers to Hamlet.

A: Medium brown with orange at the edges, clear. With a fairly large amount of ff white head.

S: Lovely. Nice fruit peaches, apricot, perhaps a touch of pineapple or tangerine. There is a syrupy aroma in the finish that I rather like. Smells awesome.

T: Taste follows aroma, tons of fruit with a nice syrupy sweetness, a touch of spice, and the finish is fairly boozy. Not amazing, but certainly good.

M: Medium, but edging towards medium thick. Carbonation is very active, and a dry finish.

O: Fine work. "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

3.76/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

My apologogies for the length of this review, but it's been a while since my last one and I'm feeling a bit lippy. Not to mention there's a lot to notice here (even if I'm not a huge fan of all of it).

Crystal clear, deep, bright amber on first glance. Upon closer inspection, the finest yeast haze I've seen to date (but nowhere near as much yeast as other reviewers have seen). Still, if it weren't for the low-medium retention, fine, light tan head, I'd have a hard time distinguishing it from some sort of brown spirit. Yeasty, phenolic, faint Band Aid aromas after cap is popped. Once in glass, takes on a more mild vinegar, strong dark fruit odor. Not as strong as in other big Belgian brews. If there's any booze on the nose, I couldn't parse it out. Either way, very enticing. Alcohol is much more prominent to the taste, as is to be expected from 12 ABV. With other flavor qualities, again, reminiscent of a brown spirit. Other than that, which is ever-present but strongest in the back, it's an incredibly well-balanced beer. Not too tart, not too fruity, not too sweet, not too spicy, a faint bitterness/menthol in the finish. And true to the style. There's an apple-like aftertaste that I almost didn't notice. Lighter end of full-bodied, watery, with lots of fine, sudsy carbonation, a wetter finish, and just a little warmth to the palate, much less than one might expect for the ABVs. Overall, deceptively drinkable. Had one beer before this and have been writing this review for more than a half hour but I don't feel even remotely buzzed yet for some reason. Maybe it's because I'm at the same time banging my head to some old school heavy metal.

3.77/5  rDev -1.6%

Now there are two types of bush in this world: One that produces delicious berries, and George W Bush. Hopefully Bush Ambrée is good Bush. TBH, this one caught me by surprise, I thought I had reviewed some pretty big Belgian beers in the past but Bush claims to be “THE STRONGEST BELGIAN BEER” quite prominently on the back label. I had to check back over all the Belgian beers I’ve reviewed and the only thing that comes close to 12% ABV is Trappistes Rochefort 10 at 11.3%... so I guess Bush is the strongest then.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Chimay chalice.

A: Yee HAW! We got us a heap o’ them yeast particles floating around up in them there glass *best Yosemite Sam impression*. Along with a typical amber body and thin white lace I don’t think I’ve ever seen this much yeast floating in a glass, it’s a massive yeast party [insert highly (in)appropriate yeast infection joke here]... a little off-settling actually. 6/10.

S: Over ripe apples and pear, hints of dark fruit and quite a big boozy note, hope it’s not a half glass of beer with Grandmas brandy making up the rest, fingers crossed. Add a truckload of sugar, and you’ll be spot on the aroma of Bush. 7/10.

T: Yep. Sugar. Truckloads. But we expected that from the Belgians who famously use truckloads of sugar in their brews, and this is THE strongest Belgian beer one can buy, so yeah, obvious really. Once you get past the overbearing sweetness though there are some nice flavours at play with the over ripe apples, pears providing some acidity to cut through the sweetness, along with notes of plum with bready yeast, and a medicinal bitter finish. 8/10.

M: Medium to heavy body with a dense, excitable carbonation. 7/10.

D: Good? Yes. I can however feel a headache coming on like a swarm of sharks smelling blood in the water. Better pop a couple Aspirin with this brew. I do appreciate that my face is warm now, living in Canberra (which is the Australian word for “cold winters”). Overall though this beer is competing in the best stable in the world - the pedigree of Belgian Strong Ales, and there are many other great options: Duvel (of course!), La Chouffe, Piraat and Delirium Tremens. That said it is cheaper than all of those... this is then, I do declare, the best cheapest Belgian Strong Ale you can get, yay! 8/10.

Food match: Ibuprofen, Panadol and Aspirin - pick your poison. Or cheese platter.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

330ml bottle, poured into La Chouffe tulip.

A: First thing I noticed was the lack of sediment in the bottle, amber colour, initial one fat finger head morphed into lid of foam, clear, not much lacing on the glass.

S: Banana, clove and phenol.

T: The first sip triggered a coughing fit, seriously strong stuff, followed the nose with the clove, banana and phenol, pretty sweet, to say it had a boozy kick to finish with would be an understatement, it burned like no other.

M: So thick I could have eaten it, carbonation was non existent, smooth.

O: Mellowed as it went on but not a subtle beer, I would describe this as Belgium’s equivalent of Special Brew, I think I’ll put the remaining 3 bottles away and hope that age calms them.

4.34/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This poured a translucent copper colour and produced a thin white ring of head. The nose leads with toffee and malt. There is a sweet fruitiness as well along with dates and dark fruit. The flavour is much of the same along with an alcohol warmness. Not the burn that you might expect with a 11.8% ABV. The mouthfeel is a bit on the syrupy side but that adds to the experience because the carbonation balances it out.

4.25/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Cognac coloured body with a small ring of a head.
S: Massive caramel.
T: Certainly repeats the nose with loads of zingy buttercomb toffee, and then some. Theres a touch of liquorice.
O: Can't taste the alcohol in this one.

Clear amber color. Very sweet caramel aroma. Taste follows with some sweet malts. Pleasant at first but has a pretty nasty, lingering aftertaste. Definitely not my style.

Review based on the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 18E). Bottle 33 cl - Batch B4 07 4. AROMA: sweet malt background with caramel and spicy notes. strong spicy alcohol presence but not solventy. APPEARANCE: coppery color and translucent. average ivory head with good retention. lacing is present due to high alcohol derived viscosity. TASTE: sweet caramely like flavour. high alcohol presence. low bitterness and a semi-sweet finish. PALATE: medium-low body with a strong alcohol presence. OVERALL: a beer that lacks the malt complexity of the competition and with a very strong alcohol presence.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours a hazy orange with a big head that dissipates quickly. Grape scents with a candied scent. Very nice lacing and a great mouthfeel. There isn't too strong of an alcohol taste. This is a definite must buy for a real drinker.

3.62/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

0,33l bottle.
Poured into snifter. Clear orange-amber beer with one finger off-white head. Smell of yeasts, caramel, pale malts, hint of spices. Flavour is rich and alcoholic, warming, semeisweet, malts, yeasts, caramel. Oily, sticky, boozy. Actually, excellent representative of the style.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Amber appearance - as the name would lead you to expect. Nice foam and lacing. Not a big head though.

Aroma is of booze, sweetness and some raisins and dark fruits.

Taste is quite syrupy with a bit of typical Belgian yeast. It tastes good but not terribly complex or refined. It has a fairly boozy flavour.

Mouthfeel is medium and a bit sticky.

Overall, an enjoyable Belgian beer with many typical characteristics of a strong Belgian ale. It is classed in the same category as Duvel which is a more complex and better beer to my taste. However, this beer seems to overlap a bit with Belgian strong dark ales such as Chimay blue. I guess an amber ale is halfway between a Duvel and a Chimay blue. Anyway, good but a bit boozy and not amazing in any way

My mark out of a hundred would be 83.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

A-clear amber color with a large white head that leaves a lace
S-dark fruits, spices, malts
T-A mixture of malts and spices with a good spice and hop aftertaste that goes into a spice flavor and an alcohol warming in the end
M-medium body and high carbonation
O-This was an outstanding beer with plenty going on

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

APPEARANCE - Peachy orange, slightly opaque. Creamy, light brown, 4-finger head that lasts, with lots of lacing

SMELL/AROMA - A little sweet, piney.

TASTE - Quite sweet, fruity, Sherry-like, and mildly piney. ABV fairly well-hidden.

MOUTHFEEL/PALATE/TEXTURE - Surprisingly well-carbonated, thick and a bit syrupy.

OVERALL - A very well balanced Tripel. The sweetness works, and the ABV doesn't hit you. Quaffable, but not chuggable. Do not limit this to dessert only.

4.8/5  rDev +25.3%

This is one superb beer I just found it today.

Pours very well. Leaves a small amount of head. Poured into tulip glass. Smells great.

It has a great smooth sweet taste thats not too heavy with a nice sweet aftertaste. Not too sweet and not too much alcohol taste considering 12% abv.

This has just hit the list of one of my favorite beers. I have nothing negative to say about this beer. I will buy again!

4.25/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Off-white head thins out with the quickness. Color is brassy and clear with a red tint in spot.

Aroma of orange, malt, yeast, fresh baked vanilla cake, some faint caramel and subtle lemon.

Sweet and creamy to the tongue with that 12% ABV trickling away almost unnoticed. Has some sugar, vanilla, orange and bitterness at the far end.

A worry free sipper that allows for pure enjoyment if you take your time.

3.47/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First I must say Belgian Strong Pale is a stupid categorical name. While it is belgian, strong it is more certainly not pale.

This beer was served in a Scaldis tulip glass. As part of my Uprising at Novare Res.

The bee is amber almost the dark side of amber. A thick head forms and dissipates to the glasses edge, surprising amount of head at 12%. The head is dense and sticky.

The nose is pale malts hints of a mattalic not but faint figs and other berry notes come across no alcohol.

Unlike the nose the taste is more in your face, bigger fig and prune notes. The maltyness is prominent with a slight and I mean slight alcohol in the back.

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

a classic belgian strong amber beer with a lot of character. the most impressive thing about it is the feel, and how well it hides its intense alcoholic strength, its barley there, not the least bit hot, and rather smooth drinking as a result. slightly hazy orangey amber in color with a patchy white head that lasts. i smell a lot of residual sugar here, sweet dusty almost english type grain on this, with a robust belgian yeast strain that gives off some dried apricot notes and maybe even a little apple. the sweetness is there, but its short lived, the finish is still pretty quick on it, and the big carbonation makes it drink a little cleaner too. i like the elegant simplicity of this beer, despite also being dynamic and very strong, it comes across well refined and completely dialed in. they do a refermented in the bottle addition of this, which i have to imagine is even more enjoyable with the rest of its sugar gone, but i like the little brother edition here. definitely an underrated brew.

3.46/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours a foggy amber color. My pour was relatively devoid of any head. It's body is predictably thick.

S-Aroma is fairly mute,I stupidly chilled this far too much. The aroma grows as the minutes pass. It's purely sweet with zero hop presence. Estery and noticeably fruity with stiff alcohol.

T-The flavor is less coercive with its alcohol. It's a thick load of sweetness. Fruity yeastiness. Isn't impressive as far as complexity goes. It's just a big beer.

M-Booze is pleasant, reminds me of a liqueur. Nearly cloying, though. Hot. Light bubbles. Slow sipper.

O/D-Not something I would ever buy. Happy I didn't pay for this and I sampled from a friend. Not what I'm looking for in a beer but I can see why someone who loves their Belgian sweet-brews would love its hot, sticky goodness.

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

this beer is worth a try if youre into Belgium brews that are slightly boozy and have the yeast characteristics.

A-orange and amber in color..nice lacing that left a decent head that rapidly vanished.

S-bread/biscuits ,malt,belgium , slight alcohol smell is present.

T-coriander , boozy, hot, complexed and pretty balanced. some malt and a peppery /spice flavor...pretty awesome.

M-light to medium mouth on this ,pretty well carbonated. nice!

O- overall I really enjoyed this beer as a sipper on a cold night....its actually become a staple in my rotation. I like the hint of booze in it ,its not too overpowering.
def a must try ...

Purchased at total wine in naples,florida for 15.99$ for a 4 pk

4.66/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

A - Poured a rich amber color out of the bottle. Poured fast enough that I had a large lacy head that disappeared really quickly

S - Bready, malty nose with hints of alcohol.

T - Super complex. Strong boozy taste, sweet and rich with peppery, coriander finish. AMAZING!

M - medium mouthfeel with the perfect amount of carbonation.

O - The best Belgian beer I have had.

2.77/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The beer was poured from the bottle into a glass. The appearance was okay, nothing special but also not bad. The taste was not good, in my opinion. Not balanced, too heavy alcohol taste, for my taste. Very strong sweetness. The beer was nice and thick though. Overall, not bad but also not great.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Amber Sienna, clear filtered, lots of carbonation, off white head fades quickly to foam.

S: Bananas, candied sugar, Belgian yeasts, an alcohol burn but its well hidden behind the sweetness and floral quality.

T: Sweet floral quality, cologne like alcohol presence which burns all the way down into the chest cavity and stomach. The Belgian style yeasts and banana and candy are there, paired equally in presence with alcohol burn ad presence.

M: Thick and firey and leaning towards rum in consistency more than most beers. Medium carbonation.

O: Must try this one. Noted for its alcohol presence, but is a good Belgian as well. A little too much alcohol for my liking, but I love its uniqueness.

3.74/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appears as a cloudy, dark maize. 1/4 inch head of an off-white color. Good retention and decent lacing. Smells of alcohol, slight dark fruit, sweet malt, hint of pale malt, and a hint of spice. Fits the style of an Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, alcohol, dark citrus, hint of pale malt, and a hint of spice. Overall, very similar to Kwak, with more pronounced alcohol flavor.

Bush Ambrée from Brasserie Dubuisson Frères sprl