Bush Ambrée - Brasserie Dubuisson Frères sprl

Bush AmbréeBush Ambrée

Brasserie Dubuisson Frères sprl visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 09-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bush Ambrée Alström Bros
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

Creamy attractive head with lots of lace on the way down. Creamy smooth, though a bit of tingling from carbonation. Very satisfying yeastiness and ice cream aftertaste. Excellent palate cleaner after greasy hamburgers. Medium to full mouthfeel. Alcohol only felt much later on.

03-30-2006 00:33:03 | More by Sammy
edmundfitzoil

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

A 250 ml. bottle purchased at Grand Vines in Salem, OR. I poured mine into my Duvel tulip.

The beer poured a slightly hazy, deep, deep gold with a thick, but short white head. The beer was visibly carbohydrated. The beer smelled highly of alcohol along with a bready, yeasty scent. Scaldis is a big ale: medium bodied with an enormous alcohol presence - in your face and unwavering - along with a surprising hop bitterness. I did not expect the hops. There are some nice, more subtle flavors working here. A nice breadlike yeastiness hangs inside the beer, but the alcohol overshadows so much. The 12% abv. on this Belgian lurks not, in fact, it knocks about awkwardly like swill drinking sorority girl.

There are better and more readily available beers of this style. The price of this liliputian sized bottle could afford me a nice bottle of St. Bernardus or perhaps a nice American rendition.

03-24-2006 04:20:22 | More by edmundfitzoil
snilsen13

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

(from notes) Looks orange brown, slightly cloudy, off tap. Thin head. poured cold and warmed in my hands (4 oz pour). The aroma, as it warms up, gets nice: citrusy with emphasis on lemon or rapsberry. The flavor initially hits with these citrus notes, clears up into a gentle maltiness and gives a peppery feeling of alcothol. The aftertaste is mild tartness. Does give a nice feeling in the mouth, that sensation of "fizziness" is there, the same that I feel for most with high alcohol that isn't overpowering.

Overall, well balanced and very drinkable. Even 4 oz gets to the head pretty quickly, so be careful.

03-21-2006 17:22:57 | More by snilsen13
francisweizen

Alaska

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

Ah, bush amber is a nice beer that you can get almost anywhere in Belgium for like $1 or 2 in the bottle or sometimes, like today, on draft. I's a dark golden amber beer with a nice very big head of white foam that really sticks around and makes itself known. The aromas are all strong alcohol, sweet sugar, malts, and several kinds of spices. The taste is sweet, spicy, and starts to get cloying after a while. Mouthfeel is slick and a bit too hot, and this hurts the drinkability. Still a Belgian neo-classic.

03-16-2006 15:10:06 | More by francisweizen
yelterdow

1.55/5  rDev -59.9%

Served in a Chimay chalice at cellar temperature. 250 ml bottle, best before end 03/06.

Appearance- Holy boring... this beer pours a clear reddish gold with thousands of tiny particles in suspension. A mighty weighty appearance, yet the quarter-inch initial head recedes to nothing after a minute. Absolutely zero lacing or residual head, save for the thinnest of rims.

Smell- A whiff of alcohol and some dark fruit, but to a much lesser degree than I would have expected from a 12% quad. A heavy, sweet malt character comes along as the beer opens.

Taste- Ughhh... a wicked, totally agressive and out-of-balance assault of fusel alcohol, complete with the burn in the finish. Mouth afire, the complexities of the malt, fruit, and hops are nowhere to be found... buried in the floodwaters of gasoline. This is like doing shots of hard liquor, but rolling it in the mouth for maximum torturous displeasure. Desperate now, I swirl in all sediment from the bottom of the bottle...

...a little better now, but not by much. This is, in my opinion, undrinkable.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The texture is fine, with its foamy microscopic bubbliness. But once the flavor and swallow occurs, it's painful. My burps even hurt. What a huge letdown... I was really looking forward to this tasting. I think they're lying... this beer must be something like 24%. My stomach lining hurts.

03-14-2006 05:44:23 | More by yelterdow
kaimcm

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

little tiny 8.5 ounce bottle poured into a chalice. gunsmoke greets me and I rejoice.

A: beautiful golden amber body. totally clear with tiny bubbles rising from the depths. Pretty clean white head which disipates quickly, though at 12% ABV not too surprised. agitation easily brings it back, light lacing.

S: rum, moist vanilla cake, alcohol, raisons, ripe green fruit

T/M: Chewy mouthfeel brings with it a lighter than expected body that delivers a lot of what the nose promises. Raisons, sugar, bakers sweets, some subtle green fruit on the finish all on top of simple solid malt. The alcohol is very warming, barely percieved on the tongue but I already feel it in my head after 4 or 5 sips. Finish is dry and slightly astringent with quite a bit of spice on the back of the throat and tongue.

D: um...12% ABV....4 bucks for 8 oz's...hard to find...what do you expect. that being said, its a great nightcap.

this beer is a style unto itself, unlike any other quadrupel I know. presents a lot of barley wine qualities with a belgian beer mouthfeel. very interesting and enjoyable.

03-08-2006 04:26:46 | More by kaimcm
bditty187

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

Hazy, peachy-gold in hue; the color is lovely; it is a bit like early morning sunshine in glass… it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy (I haven’t even started drinking yet!). Slightly off-white head, sadly the foam only united long enough to create a half finger of head. Then the bubbles rapidly faded to a soapy cap. I expect more out of a Belgian beer, high abv or not. Sadly, there was no subsequent lacing. What the hell! I do love the liquid’s color! Overall, this is a slightly above average looking beer.

I love the tropical fruit aromas (mango, pineapple, passion fruit, etc) in the nose, peppery alcohol (I don’t like the smattering of solvent smells), pulpy orange juice, coriander, flowery potpourri, and a dash of candy sugar. Moderate potency; the tropical fruit notes really appeal to me, everything else is playing a supporting role. This is not the most complex bouquet I’ve smelled. Still, it is agreeable… inviting.

I thought the palate would be more robust, I thought the alcohol would be louder, I thought this beer would be a sipper. Oh shit… I can’t really taste the alcohol, for a 12% beer it is well hidden. Oh shit… this beer isn’t a sipper. Oh shit… I better sip this beer because 250ml isn’t going to last! Spicy tropical fruit notes upfront, candy sugar in the middle, caramel malt too, and warm alcohol at the swallow. I will say, the palate is a bit simple but “simple” is a relative term. There are plenty of flavors but it all falls into three basic categories: Sweet, fruity, and spicy/alcohol. This isn’t a bad thing. I think this beer is done really well. I am impressed. Sweet aftertaste, maybe some hop bitterness would be nice here. My throat is warm… as is my belly… my brain is slowly getting happier. It is a lovely drink.

Medium in body, moderately low carbonation, the mouthfeel is borderline lazy. This is the only thing stopping me from thinking I could drink two or three in an evening. I bet it would go well with cheeses but I does lack some effervesces to scrub the tongue. Still the mouthfeel works well.

For the punch it packs this beer can be found in Nebraska fairly cheap. It has been available for over a year but I haven’t tried until very recently. I am happy I did. I know the Crescent Moon carries it in bottles; I’ll have to drink some! In the end, all jokes aside, this is a nice sipping beer. Why this is listed as a “Quad” on BA I have no idea. IMO, this is a Belgian Strong Pale Ale. I will buy more; I was a fool to wait so long to drink this. I purchased my bottle in Lincoln, NE but I can get it in Omaha too. Recommended.

02-15-2006 17:47:25 | More by bditty187
IoniaAles

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

Scaldis is a golden ale and pours golden orange. The head subsided 3 minutes after pouring, leaving some clinging lace. Aroma is of caramel and is a bit alcoholic, but not as bad as some of my young belgian-style ales of lesser gravity. I suspect the caramel flavors are due to large additions of sugar in the boil kettle. This gets the abv up, but also creates a dryer mouthfeel, then say a barleywine. The aroma reminds me of a Samuel Smith ale. This beer lacklacks the fruit aromas of westmalle and some of the trappist ales and the complexity of the strong goldens. Taste is a mix of sweet and rich malts and dry/alcohol.

02-13-2006 21:04:50 | More by IoniaAles
EmoBeerGuy

New Hampshire

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

Been meaning to try this high ABV Belgian for quite a while. Many told me that this was the type of beer that tasted "only of alcohol" but I found it pretty enjoyable.

Drank in a 6oz cup at the Publick House.

Poured like a crisp blonde belgian with a small yet lacy head.

On the palete the usually spices of the belgian but a strong alcohol bite due to its quadruppel status.

Drinkibility suffers from the harshness of the alcohol but still a crisp, solid beligian beer.

Worth a try, but, not my favorite beer in the style.

02-10-2006 03:31:28 | More by EmoBeerGuy
SkeeterHawk

4.18/5  rDev +8%

Appearance: Pours a clear orange-golden color with a 1/4" head of tight white foam at first pour. There is a cloumn of bubbles rising, but this doesn't maintain the head...must be the alcohol content.

Aroma: Very reserved aroma considering. There is a little bit of alcohol in the nose along with some sweet and somewhat toasty malt notes. As you get deeper into the aroma, you can pick out some distinct floral aromatics making their way through.

Taste: The flavor is amazingly neutral for such a bold beer. There is some sweet malt and/or sugar to make the beer's presence known, but this subtly fades into the middle of the profile...whatever that is. There is a little bit of toast and caramel in the middle, but this is super balanced and just warps straight across your palate into the finish. The finish is wet, sweet, and a little sticky with a mild but noticeable alcoholic burn.

Opinion: Wow, now this wasn't what I was expecting! I am not really sure what I WAS expecting, but this surprised me. I don't think that I have ever had a beer this bold, yet this palatable. You can tell from the fumes in the aroma that this beer is no chump, but it goes down so smooth that it is almost scary. This beer was just released here in Houston, so I believe that this is a pretty fresh example. Good form!

02-03-2006 04:14:46 | More by SkeeterHawk
geexploitation

Indiana

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

Quite an unusual Belgian, especially for a "quadrupel". Pours a bright, darkish gold with a controlled, flat-topped off-white head. Quite aromatic, with some of the standard quadrupel aroms: caramel, some spices, and some unusually hoppy citrus notes. The taste is where this veers off from quadrupel territory into something else -- something original, actually. Normal, sweet malt and candi-sugar flavors are offset by peppery alcohol and hops. Not as hoppy as, say, De Ranke Bitter, but much more hoppy than your average quadrupel. The alcohol is another thing. At first, it's nice in a jolting peppery way, but the aftertaste suffers from an undue alcoholic burn on the back of the tongue and in the back of the throat; the burn is reminiscent of drinking liquor. That, in my book, knocks down the scores for flavor and mouthfeel. The high alcohol content and burn also negatively affect drinkability.

Overall, this is an interesting taste experience, and I could imagine this being really great with certain foods, but taken on its own it has limited appeal for me.

01-31-2006 02:42:08 | More by geexploitation
MUSHROOMCLOUD

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

A - 1/4" off-white head. Orange/gold beer. Bright, clear. Good retention and lace from the head.

S - Fruit. Candy sugar. Slight buttery note. Alcohol. Sweet fruit over buttery malt.

T - Rich caramel. Alcohol. Cherries. Malt. Pick up on somedefinite candy sugar.

M - Full, creamy mouthfeel. Huge warming effect. Tongue prickling carbonation. Hot finish.

D - Nice. After dinner sipper. Warmed me up nicely.

01-02-2006 03:30:27 | More by MUSHROOMCLOUD
deBeers

4.63/5  rDev +19.6%

Very full bodied Belgian quad. Watch out for the strength because this will put you down, hard.

Lovely smells, nice head retension, great all around beer. Highly recommend. Sorry for the lack of notes but this was a great beer experience.

Happy Beering and to a new year!

12-31-2005 20:35:38 | More by deBeers
Lnedrive14

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

8.48 oz bottle (whose idea was that one?)

Pours a medium amber with a full body. Nice head. A beautiful beer (i just wish it filled up my snifter!).

Nose was strong on alcohol, vanilla, and floral citriosity (yeah, i know it isnt a word).

Taste was much less full than i expected. Alcohol presence is almost non-existent. Really strong vanilla taste. Honestly, there was much less to this brew than I expected, or hoped for. I love quadrupels for the depth, and I felt this beer lacked that. Almost more of a belgian strong pale ale.

Like I said, it's mouthfeel was not quite full enough.

Highly drinkable. VERY highly drinkable. DAMN that small bottle!

N.B. This is one of those rare beers that I actually enjoyed much more while it was colder. When it warmed up the alcohol came out a bit more, but no more flavors did. Ah well.

12-20-2005 02:47:16 | More by Lnedrive14
freed

Oregon

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%

Had this on tap at Concordia, full pour of a deep orange-copper body with micro carbonation and a light head of small to medium bubbles. Body had a slight haze.

Aroma is milder than I'd expected, but had a really pleasant citrus and peppermint smell and a subtle aged hop finish.

The taste was sweet but with a full, developed malt body with a suggestion of grand marnier. It's a rich, warm and filling, almost port-like.

Body and taste - The whole things improves each sip and finishes perfectly.

11-24-2005 23:11:57 | More by freed
smcolw

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

Attractive orange-amber in color, cloudy. Little head with very little lace.

Caramel aromas with a high alcohol warmth. Slight citrus smell, too.

Lots of high alcohol. Very dry malt flavors. Rich mouthfeel with low carbonation. Goes down way too easily given the rich alcohol levels.

This was a very drinkable Belgian style ale. Intensely smooth with similarities to nice cognac. Delicious.

11-05-2005 17:32:06 | More by smcolw
67cuda

Colorado

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

This beer pours a cloudy amber color, with one finger of tan head. Not too exciting of a color, its the "yes.. it's beer" shade of amber. Smells sweet, with floral notes, as well as malt. Very nice smell! It tastes sweet and malty, not as much as you'd think from the smell, a bit tart as well, from the alcohol. The mouthfeel is good, lots of body, a good amount of carbonation, and it has a good aftertaste as well. This is a very interesting beer, very different from anything I've had before. This is definetly a beer I would drink with a meal or some cheese, not something I'd have several of at once. Not to say it isn't enjoyable like that, but the complexity of it doesn't make me want to overload my taste buds.

10-31-2005 07:29:43 | More by 67cuda
assurbanipaul

3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a light brown with a large, thick, bone-white head. Aroma is sweet and sugary, fruity and yeasty with a musty, flowery cola presence. One of the more delightful noses I've encountered in a while.

Taste is sweet, bready and malty. Not as sweet as the aroma suggests, lots of caramel and cola flavors. Hot with alcohol in both the mouthfeel and the flavors but not so much as to be off-putting. Definite cough-syrup category.

Mouthfeel is medium but the alcohol makes it a sipper. Smells nice but I would prefer a little more complexity and a little less heat. A curiosity, not a fridge staple.

10-26-2005 02:14:49 | More by assurbanipaul
RockyTopHeel

A gift from Joj upon the moveout. I think this was purchased during his trip to Belgium, December 2003 (so aged since then).

Amber in color with a small layer of white bottles. Alcohol dominates here, both in the nose and the mouth. Unidentifiably fruity-sweet and a bit medicinal. A little astringent in the finish.

Not bad, but this wasn't really fair making it follow the Rochefort 10.

07-09-2005 02:05:11 | More by RockyTopHeel
beersarang

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a light amber with a medium sized head that just doesn't hold on for very long. Beer doesn't look like anything special.

Fruity aroma, lots of different fruits and rich caramel along with aromatic Belgian malts. So many different smells it is hard to discern.

A good sip brings to the palate the fruit character. Cherries and rasberries play across the palate backed by a firm malt character that is also fruity. Almost no hop character although there is a slight bitterness. Finishes warm and fruity gain with a very sweet exhale that is not quite cloying but just perfect. Alcohol is not as noticable as you would think.

Thick bodied with a light carbonation, goes down easily. I would buy this again as a special treat. I was very very surpised by this tiny bottle.

07-05-2005 21:03:12 | More by beersarang
neonbrown82

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

Is this really a quadrupel? Well I'll be damned if it is (though it's much more accurate than the barleywine category it's placed under on the John's Grocery website). Seems to be more of a Belgian Strong Pale or a Saison than a quad.

Pours to a clear amber color with no sediment and almost no head. No subsequent lacing, save for a few spots. Also has a moderate carbonation, though it fails to regerate the head beyond a thin spotty film.

The smell is very sweet and malty, containing strong whiffs of belgian candi sugar. A very subtle spiciness from the yeast appears when deeply inhaled.

The taste is quite good, despite a disappointing appearance and good but non-complex aroma. A bit caramelly and brett up front. Apples and Oranges come into play in the mid-finish. Also contains some spiciness from a mixture of the malt, yeast, and strong alcohol content. Quite sweet, but has a decent bite of hops at the same time. The finish is very moist and smooth, and has almost no aftertaste.

Overall, I'd say it's a damn fine beer. It is kind of hard to place into a category, but there are few belgians that actually do in the grand scheme of things. Worth seeking out.

07-01-2005 06:01:18 | More by neonbrown82
KoG

Nevada

4.6/5  rDev +18.9%

Deep Golden color with a good sized head that leaves some chunky lacing.

Smell is predominately alcoholic at first, fading into light malt and sweet fruits.

Taste is fruit and alcohol well balanced along a minor bitterness. The alcohol is nowhere near as prevalent as in the nose. Creamy on the palate and on the way down. Alcohol burn becomes more present when it warms but still doesn't sting at all.

Being summer, I could have picked a less warming beer, but I'm inside with the AC. A very nice brew that is sweet but not cloying and may appeal to those that like lighter wine styles.

06-28-2005 21:29:03 | More by KoG
Bierschenker

4.55/5  rDev +17.6%

Luckily I have my own Bush chalice, Nice! So That’s where I put it in. It gave some head, but it vanished immediately.
The colour is amber (Doh!), with a heart warming fireplace glowing orange. Very active carbonation.
The smell has multiple layers. Creamy caramel malt, American hop bitterness, oranges, vinegar, dades and grains, alcohol and bread.
The taste overwhelms because of the acidity, strong alcohol and sugary/caramel malt with oranges, union and dades.
The aftertaste shows how full bodied this beer is. Strong alcohol, still some acidity, soft bitter tone oppressed by some sourness.

A gem of a beer, I love the Bush beers. They’re some of the first special beers I started drinking when I was younger.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

06-27-2005 23:34:56 | More by Bierschenker
DrJay

3.25/5  rDev -16%

Clear medium amber with a creamy, long-lasting, off-white head. Smells very sweet, light alcohol, faint hops and a bit of spice. Flavour is a combination of candy sugar, moderate yet harsh hop bitterness, and a bit of spice, with a very strong alcohol warmth. Medium/full body, high carbonation, creamy and light texture. Overall, a bit overly strong with some harshness.

06-26-2005 19:08:47 | More by DrJay
packetknife

Idaho

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

It this beer was more affordable I'd quite like it regularly. Poured a cloudy dark orange with a thin head that held and laced well. Smelled of caramel and/or candied apples, strong enough to hit you right before each tip. You can definately taste the alcohol here and it's managed very well with a malty-creamy taste that's constant. The finish and the aftertaste leave more of the same but in no offensive manner. I have to say I felt like part of the beer was like a barley wine but not quite as sweet. The carbonation is heavy but works very well. I'm not sure it's drinkable but it's certainly drinkenjoyable.

06-15-2005 01:35:46 | More by packetknife