Follow our progress ...

YOUR RATING = None |

Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant
United States | website

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Pale, German-style, light-bodied wheat beer with refreshing tart, acidic and lemony characteristics and little hop bitterness. Woodruff or raspberry syrup can be added to balance the sourness.

Added by weeare138 on 07-09-2006

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 28 | Ratings: 52
3.4/5  rDev -13.7%

On tap at Iron Hill's tent all weekend at BCTC09. Didn't go so well with Captain Lawrence's pulled pork(Should of went with the whit maybe? I dunno.), but it went down fine solo after the lights went off.

Hazy yellow & gray, dulled out body. Soft, white film seltzer head.

Smells of itchy & bitter fruit peels, along with some mild sourness.

Already establishing ahead of time what my favorite kind of Berliner Weiss involves, this one wasn't that bad. Dry & more tart then usual. Significantly dusty/chalky wheat, sour limes. Finish leaves your mouth salivating for something bigger. If I wasn't surrounded by so many other quality beers, I might have just killed someone looking for a bottle of woodruff syrup after my second helping.

Excellent beer to start up your palate in the morning. Drinking one soon after brushing your teeth could be dangerous though. :)

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%

I know that you’re supposed to drink this style with a squire of raspberry or woodruff, but for a review, that made about as much sense as reviewing Corona with a lime in it. So, I went for the Berlinerweiss by itself.

This beer came a simple dark foggy straw color with just a few bubbles around the rim of my glass.

Smells of dry green grapes and a touch of citrus. This was really faint.

Tastes of sour and tart limes with a slight touch of wheat and rye. Mostly, this was just sour.

The mouthfeel was light to medium bodied with a prominent, tingly carbonation.

There really wasn’t much there. Makes me want to go back and try it with the rasp. or woodruff to see what I missed out on.

2.88/5  rDev -26.9%

This beer may have been better enjoyed during the daytime, not 11:00 at night. I wasn't ready for the tartness. Too bitter. Everything else was good about it: appearance, smell, mouthfeel. It smelled sweet enough and looked pale yellow. I thought it was going to taste more like a light, sweet hefeweizen.
I can't say I recommend it, but if you want to try it just be prepared for a strong sour experience.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last