Dubbel Trubbel (Cabernet Dubbel) - Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant

Dubbel Trubbel (Cabernet Dubbel)
No picture.

Dubbel |  ABV ?

Beer added by: weeare138 on 11-18-2008

Reviews by KCHopHead:
3.84/5  rDev n/a

Thanks to weeare138 for providing me with this rare beer. Hand bottled from PA, poured into a pint glass. It might have tasted better at fresh off the tap.

A - A dark amber with sunlight turns orange. Head was 1/4 inch that delivered scattered lacing. Some carbonation may have been loss in bottling. I caught a couple of weird floaties but not sure if that was from the hand bottling or not.

S - Smell hit with a syrupy alcohol followed by some more notes of oak and more oak then some grape/raisin.

T/M/D - Not as alcohol tasting as smell. A thick taste but the carbonation helps lift it off the tounge and let it float some. I did get some Cabernet flavor but not overpowering. Hops are minimal here and being a hop head I'd like to see a touch more, but I don't think they were going for that. Some sugar build up on the tounge but a really interesting complex brew that I enjoyed the one time. (901 characters)

4.52/5  rDev n/a

On tap at the Mug Club release party...
Appears a dark, chestnut toned amber with a fluffy, off white head that sticks around. Scattered streaks of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is excellent with complex notes of vanilla, cherry, tart juice, and hibiscus flowers on top of a mild raisin aroma.
Taste mimics the aromas with a flavor that I couldn't have drawn up better myself. This is a beer lover's fantasy with the oaky vanilla and spicy red wine notes pulling through.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, mildly oaky, sweet, tart, and well balanced.
This brew is just outright addictive. It almost reminds me of a young Flanders Brown Ale but without the acetic, over the top tartness from a bacteria introduction.
Damn...what can I say? Just try it for yourself. (771 characters)

4.22/5  rDev n/a

Thanks to weeare138 for sharing this, a very interesting choice to enhance our homebrewed stout tasting. Poured from the growler into a tulip.

A dark ruby color like unfiltered cherry juice with murky cloudy appearance and small light cap which settles out. The smell is of wine grapes up front, lots of vinous notes with a seriously woody backing supplemental odor. There is light cedar in there with a mild berry element, possibly blackberry w/ a light honey and slight cinnamon aroma. I enjoy how the combination of the wine barrel and the dubbel work together, I like a dubbel on the dry side, so I like the slight tannic fruity acidic and slightly astringent aspects. The malt is there with a nice texture which adds a dry and mild spice in the finish.

The flavor is pleasing to my taste buds with a good amount of both cabernet and dubbel in there. There is a very dry grapeskin like tannic taste that is slightly tart w/ a mild flavor of yeast spiciness. The dubbel gives s subtle toasted malt backdrop to the cabernet in this -the most cabernet forward flavors in a beer I have had to date I imagine. I found this to be very drinkable and was happy with the combination even though it is not the first thing I would thing of doing with a dubbel - the cabernet was complimentary to the base beer. (1,308 characters)

4/5  rDev n/a

Dubbel Trubbel (Cabernet Dubbel) from Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.