Mahalo, Apollo! - Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant

Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant visit their website
United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  6.90% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Deuane on 07-15-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.8/5  rDev -1%

I know that it may seem like a violation of one of The CANQuest's (TM) main tenets to CANduct a review without an approved picture in place, but I am forging ahead anyway. The thinking behind that idea is that 1) pictures of Crack!ed CANs look cheap and 2) usually, I only have one of each CAN so if the submitted picture does not get approved and I have Crack!ed it open in the meantime, see 1). In this case, I have multiples on hand and I will get the pic in the approval queue today.

From the CAN: "Special Summer Ale"; "Brewed Naturally With the Finest Malted Barley, Hops and Yeast. A Golden, Complex and Refreshing Summer Wheat Beer. Spiced with Grains of Paradise and Lemongrass. Fermented With Belgian Wit Yeast."

I got a little spritz across the fingertips in CANducting the Crack! This, as usual, indicated a brimful CAN and thusly I began an inverted Glug. It is tougher to pull off with a Pint CAN or one of even greater volume, so I backed off pretty quickly. I was left with a foamy finger of fizzy, eggshell-white head that dissipated fairly rapidly to wisps. Color was Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity and so I allowed Mammon, Croesus and Midas the first draughts. The label reads "Color: 3.2", but I think that it was slightly darker. Nose was peppery, spicy, slightly lemony with even a hint of honey. Mouthfeel was medium. This was a very spicy beer, between the yeast and the spices, very dry on the tongue. I got black pepper and lemon and suddenly, I had a craving for some chicken. This would pair nicely with either poultry or seafood, IMHO. Finish was quite dry and quite spicy, leading me to think that the recipe could be tweaked just a tad. Still, it was a nice Summer beer and one which I would happily put into a cooler.

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%

A big shout out to the creator of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a cloudy golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of lemon, spices. Taste is lemons, wheat, some spice, a bit of hops as well, refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable summertime beer.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

3.84/5  rDev 0%

a: This was a murky, muddy wheat color. It poured with a thick, medium sized white head.

s: Grassy, lemony hops; earthy wheat; and some estery, floral bananas.

t: Some sweet but subdued tropical fruit held in check by grassy lemon rind and earthy wheat. As it warms the wit yeast esters come into play.

m: Medium body with light carbonation.

o: I wish I would have had more than one small glass. Interesting for sure, a lot of diffetent flavors coming together pretty well.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »