Wheat Wine - Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant

Wheat WineWheat Wine

Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant visit their website
United States

Wheatwine |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: akorsak on 12-04-2010)

DaPan, Jul 02, 2014

Sammy, Jun 23, 2014

liamt07, Jun 22, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

rfgetz, Feb 03, 2014
2.98/5  rDev -22.8%

Served in an Iron Hill Winter Wheat Wine glass.

Thanks to jyoung for this bottle!

See that? What a thoroughly appropriate glassware choice, eh? (Thanks for that as well, jyoung!) Anyway, this stuff pours a clear ruby topped by a good amount of cream-khaki foam. The nose comprises caramel, candied orange peel, and a light dusting of brown sugar. The taste brings in more of the same, along with a heaping helping of cardboard and a "fun" combination of nutmeg and clove. All told, my tongue is assaulted by a muddled mess of spices and what I can only assume to be oxidation. The body is a light-leaning medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a smooth feel, and a drying finish. Overall, I wasn't the biggest fan of this beer. It may have been age, it may have just been a crappy recipe...I'm not entirely sure. Either way, I didn't enjoy it very much at all.

TMoney2591, Jan 04, 2013

jwat, Nov 11, 2012

t0rin0, Oct 15, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

Transcribed from notes dtd Sa, 04 Dec 2010. An IHWC beer being offered at IHLNC on this particular day.

Head was now an afterthought on any beers that were still in front of me. I was was slow in drinking on this day and my pace served me well as I actually made it home afterward. Nose was dry with a vinous astringency. Color was a deep reddish-brown with ruby highlights and NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was thick and viscous on the tongue with a dry, vinous taste. the cheat sheet mentioned "sherry-like", but I haven't the background to make such a pronouncement. I can tell you, however, that this beat a standard all barley-malt barleywine hands down. I have long known that I am not big on sweet beers and this day not only reinforced that idea, but my faves were the drier beers, including this one. Moderately warm, quite dry, this was good then and will probably be great later with some age on it.

woodychandler, Jun 13, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +1%

750ml bottle poured into an Iron Hill logo wine glass. Bottle from TroyG2352

A: Dark cherry red. Translucent beer. Pour leaves a 1+ finger eggshell head but I swear there is some pink tint to it. No lacing

S: A blend of caramel malt, wheat and booze. Faint cherry pie with whipped cream

T: Overall I found this beer to be fairly sweet. Dark fruit sweetness (fig, cherry, raisin). Bordering on cloying. A little bit of citrus fruit helps to slightly balance it. Sweet bread too

M: Medium bodied. Pretty decent amount of carbonation that leaves a dryness on the tongue

D: A little too sweet for my liking, but seems on par with the style. If I'm ever in the area I will definitely hit up the brew pub and try some of their other offerings

Brez07, Apr 12, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

From IH West Chester, served at IH Lancaster's winter warmer day.

A: The wheatwine is a robust amber color, barely clear, that sports an off-white head. A nice looker in my glass.

S: The nose is wheaty, strong and thick. The concentrated wheat is not tart, just strong. Sweet fruits emerge over time. A strong ale.

T: Plenty of wheat. It's just not in the form that most are used to. This wheat is concentrated and thick, a warming but strong flavor. No tartness, just thick breads. The ale has an alcoholic richness that borders, as advertised, on sherry. As strong as it is, the ale goes down remarkably well.

M: The mouthfeel is full and chewy. The more one lingers on it, the more wheat flavors come through. Very hot.

D: At 9.6%, this beer is a sipper. The rich flavors, bordering on barleywine, benefit from the depth of wheat.

akorsak, Dec 04, 2010