1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Raisin Hell - Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant

Raisin Hell
No picture uploaded.

Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant visit their website
United States

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: akorsak on 07-15-2011)
View: Beers (327) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2 | Reviews: 2
DIM

4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

Raisins in a dubbel sounds good, but rum? I was skeptical until I tried it. I wonder what aged "on" rum means?

a: Light for the style, this was a slightly cloudy ruddy brown color. It was served to me with a small frothy cap.

s: I found the sweet candi-sugar and raisins consistent with the style plus a healthy dose of floral heat from the rum. These elements came together surprisingly well.

t: As Akorsak noted below, the warmer cask serving temperature really helps bring the rum to the forefront. I can't say I was able to discern any more of a raisin flavor than in a typical dubbel. I did find lots of candi-sugar and some raisin sweetness. The finish was a healthy and well-incorporated floral rum burn.

m: This was a good choice for the hand-pump. Creamy and full bodied overall.

o: This was a very pleasant surprise. For my second beer I sampled this and the a rye Belgian IPA before deciding. I love rye, Belgian, yeast, and hops; but they just didn't come together for me. Dubbels aren't my favorite style and I don't care for rum, yet I really liked this combination. Beer is a funny world.

Serving type: cask

07-17-2011 18:06:00 | More by DIM
akorsak

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%

A dubbel with white raisins aged on rum. Served from a cask at IH Lancaster.

A: A very light dubbel - a deeper reddish brown color that is translucent, not a turbid mess like most dubbels. The cask pull lends a thin off-white head.

S: Dark fruits, candi sugar and raisins are strong. The booziness is present but not overpowering. The dark fruity aromas are very reminiscent of a quad.

T: The cask serving, warmer, brings the rum aspect to the forefront, a solid bite and burn. The darker candi sugar dubbel flavors, sweet and strong, are still present, but the raisins do most of the heavy lifting. They add a darker, sweeter body that continues to push the dubbel into quad territory. Mid-sip, the rum becomes apparent, more dark sugars but a side of booziness too.

M: The mouthfeel, warm as it is, has a bit too much of a rum emphasis. The intense dubbel flavors are nice though, dark and mysterious and teeming with strength.

Serving type: cask
@ Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant, 781 Harrisburg Pike, Lancaster

07-15-2011 11:26:32 | More by akorsak
Raisin Hell from Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.