Hoppin Honey Wit - Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant

pDev: n/a
Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant visit their website
United States

Witbier |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: akorsak on 08-11-2011)
3.25/5  rDev n/a

4.33/5  rDev n/a

a: This was a cloudy, pale golden color. It was served to me with an, airy looking, uneven white head.

s: A wonderful blast of prickly grapefruit rind is what I noticed first. I also found some tart lemons, hints of clove, and something else earthy I couldn't quite put my finger on. I wasn't able to discern any honey.

t: I wouldn't have thought a witbier base would lend itself so well to a hop showcase, but it works extremely well here. Its a mild tingle at first, but it quickly turns into an unbelievably fresh tasting citric blast that lasts well into the finish. Towards the end some wheaty lemon and a hint of clove emerged. As I got to the bottom of my mug, the hops seemed to fade a bit while the cloves became more prominent. As akorsak noted, this was a very good burper beer.

m: I'm surprised cask conditioning worked so well for a wit. The carbonation was gentle for a wit, but strong for a cask offering.

o: A very, very pleasant surprise. Taking a traditional style with fairly rigid (in my mind) guidelines and just throwing a bunch of cascade hops at it could be dangerous. This was handled deftly though, making it a joy to drink. I didn't quite enjoy the last 5 ounces as much as the fist 15, but I really hope to see this one again.

4.43/5  rDev n/a

Served from a cask at Iron Hill Lancaster, a Belgian Wit primed with orange blossom honey and dry hopped with citrusy American hops (cascade).

A: The ale is hazy and pale, the lighter golden color is wit-appropriate. The cask generates only a thin head, although strata of lace are left behind in my glass.

S: The nose is fresh, vibrant with citrusy hops. The aroma combines spicy witbier aspects with those fresh, grassy hops. A wonderful sniffer, the hops go quite well with the softer yeast and spice aspects. A resounding sweetness reminds me of the honey's presence.

T: First sip: blown away. A mild hop bitterness is an omen of things to come. As the first wave of citrusy hops fade, the witbier steps up and carries the ale. Lemony tart wheat is present although the other witbier flavors tend to get lost. The orange blossom honey adds bulk and just a bit of sweetness to the ale, blending in between the hops and wheat. The hops come back, a big finish. The taste is sweet, heavy on citrusy grapefruit. That finish makes the ale, a big finish to an already enjoyable beer. The preponderance of cascade hops makes all the difference, a bite that never gets out of hand even amongst the subtler flavors of the witbier.

M: The lightness of the ale, driven by wheat, is airy and tart, an interesting counterpoint to the grasy grapefruit hops. The dry-hopping does wonders on the nose and peps up the start and finish of each sip. Even my burps are pleasant.

O: Wonderful on cask. I hope that I see this one in the regular rotation soon. A winner.

Hoppin Honey Wit from Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.