Raspberry Wheat - Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant

Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant visit their website
United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2003

A pale, filtered American wheat beer brewed with a touch of natural raspberry flavor.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 81 | Reviews: 26
4.14/5  rDev +20%

Having attended last Saturday's "Drink Your Wheaties" fest at SPTR, I feel eminently qualified to review a wheat beer.

It began with a finger-and-a-half of bubbly, bone-white head that began falling away rather quickly. The bubbles certainly brought out the raspberry nose, however. This was a fresh red raspberry scent that immediately transported me back to my late paternal grandmother's garden at 141 N. Broad St. She used to make homemade preserves with her berries, but I like the idea of putting them into beer better. In fact, I have been somewhere in my extensive travels (BOS Beer Works?) that puts actual berries into the beer just before presentation to the customer. The mouthfeel was medium, but all was secondary to the intense raspberry flavor on the tongue. It bordered on perfume-y, but Mr. Rutherford seemed to know just where to stop. The color was a slightly hazy golden-yellow. The finish lingered with raspberry. It was not a beer that I would make a steady diet of, but as a dessert beer? Sure! That, plus it beat the blandness of some of those straight wheat beers. Just sayin' ...

3.3/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was alright--a golden hazy beer with a very tiny head, an artificial raspberry smell.

It tastes like a wholly average wheat beer with a bit of tart (but undoubtedly synthetic) raspberry and a dry finish, a light foamy mouthfeel. I feel like all Iron Hill beers have a sort of metallic tinge to them, and this was no exception. Pretty tasty with my meal and as a summer beer, probably reaches its ambitions, but not something you would think to seek out.

3.64/5  rDev +5.5%

This beer surprised me a lot, it was good...but I didn't expect the strong raspberry taste!

Appearance: Typical of a light beer, small head that didn't not last, very light color.

Smell: This beer has a very strong smell of raspberry. I absolutely love raspberry, so I thought this smell was very nice. I'm not much into fruity beer, but this was certainly unique.

Taste: Just like the smell, the raspberry was very very apparent and dominated the beer.

Mouthfeel: Comparable to a light lager. Nothing extreme, very average.

Drinkability: Personally, I am not a fan of fruity beer...so I would not order more than one of these. However, given the style, and the fact that my wife enjoyed it, I would give it average drinkability.

3.27/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a golden color with a small white head. Decent head retention and lacing. Small carbonation seen rising.

Aroma is raspberry. I happen to love raspberries, so this is a good thing for me.

Taste is raspberry, wheat and somewhat woody.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and dry.

Overall, an OK brew. Interesting. Worth a try if you are in the mood.

3.15/5  rDev -8.7%

It pours a fair gold, a shade darker than the light beer. A finger of very lightly pink head stands for a short time. Thin twists of lacing curl on the inside of the glass.

The aroma is initially wheat and tangy, though briefly before the soft bite of raspberry syrup takes over and blankets with a fruit air.

Upon tasting, the wheat is again most noticeable, with a mellow grainy edge. The raspberry then asserts, and too boldly at that, as it carries a slightly metallic extract sharpness, though the accompanying sweetness does try to mitigate a bit. It does fade somewhat toward the close to allow a slightly yeasty doughiness to come through. The finish is a quick drop to a lingering dry character that wipes out any remaining sweet reference. The fruit just doesn't come across as fresh or blended.

Light bodied, the carbonation can't kill the tinny grate on the palate, but it does flow fairly well.

This would be one of those who-cares beers were it not for the unfortunate bite of the fruit. I wanted to ask if the raspberries are fresh, as opposed to extract, but if they are fresh, then the source leaves a bit to be desired. Still, the crisp finish, while chopping the sweetness, also goes a ways toward making it at least mediocre. So it goes down just okay, it tastes just okay, and I'll be just okay if I have to drink it again. But I'll be more okay if I don't.

3.68/5  rDev +6.7%

Served as a slightly hazy amber colored beer with moderate white puffy head.
Smell shows strong berry notes (as would be expected).
Taste also has a strong berry character.
Finishes with more berry tastes without being overly sweet.
An OK beer. One is enough though. I was warned by the waitress that this beer has a strong taste retention, which I do not really agree with.

3.27/5  rDev -5.2%

What struck me as odd with this beer was how clear it was. I consider myself a wheat beer nut and I was surprised it wasn't cloudy but a clear gold with a white head. The oblivious, upfront aroma is raspberries. The wheat and the barley had a fresh, malted quality with a subtle spiciness. I like raspberries; so naturally, I liked the flavor of this beer. The beer finished on the grainy side with a certain dryness probably due to the lack of hops. All together, I found the beer refreshing and easy drinking.

3.67/5  rDev +6.4%

Gold body with a small head and medium lacing.Small amount of tart taste from the raspberrys and some smell from the raspberrys also.Nice wheat taste,really well balanced and refreshing,Medium mouthful.I would have this beer again.My girl liked it also.

1.97/5  rDev -42.9%

I was going to not review this beer, but when I saw that it has less than 10 reviews, I decided that the world needs to know.

Had it on tap at the Wilmington location. I had had it last year sometime, and had really not enjoyed it. But, hoping that it had been a flawed batch, I decided to try it again this time around, and was unpleasantly surprised.

Pours a fairly clear orange-yellow that smacks of filtering. I like my wheat beers hazy, damn it! But the bigger beef I had with the appearance was the wimpy head. I've come to expect bigger, better heads from wheat beers.

Smells overwhelmingly like raspberries, in an artificial sort of way.

It tastes exactly like it smells: raspberry coffee syrup (or possibly cough syrup). The artificial raspberry flavor overwhelms the senses, and prevents you from tasting any of the actual beer. It actually bears a disturbing resemblance to raspberry seltzer; the primary difference being that I enjoy raspberry seltzer.

Mouthfeel is aggressively carbonated, thin and fizzy. Again, like seltzer.

Not drinkable.

Not recommended.

3.95/5  rDev +14.5%

Not a style of beer that you find all over at local brewpubs. On a very hot afternoon, this makes for a great choice.

A clear, golden color. Not pink or cloudy. The smell was nice...not too strong. A hint of the raspberry in the scent, but not enough where it might turn you off.

I enjoyed the taste. It reminded me of the raspberry wheat JJ Bittings always has on tap over in Woodbridge, NJ. This was sweet, but not syrupy sweet. If you don't like fruit style beers, then stay away.

It probably goes better on its own, than accompany food. A nice, freshing drink.

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

This beer had a golden hazy appearance with moderate head that fizzled to a thin film.
It smelled slightly of raspberries and corn
When I tried it I immediately thought I was eating air popped popcorn and drinking raspberry mineral water. It finished with a tart raspberry taste that was not overpowering.
It had moderate carbonation with a medium to light body.
I felt this was a nice light summer beer for lunch or a light dinner.

3.38/5  rDev -2%

This beer came a dull copper gold with a slight film of head that stuck around for a while that left a little lace behind.

Smells powerfully of raspberries, but not in a good way. The smell is a good one, or even a convincing one, but it certainly not fresh raspberries we’re dealing with here. Behind the big fruitiness lies a slight, powdery dryness.

Tastes of a dull yeast that quickly is replaced by a big shot of raspberry (probably extract!). There are also elements of watermelon and orange here. This finishes with an odd “Jelly Belly” popcorn flavored jelly bean flavor and a touch of hop dryness on the roof of my mouth.

The mouth feel is light to medium bodied with a light foamy carbonation.

This one isn’t all that bad. The flavor is clearly synthetic, but it’s light, clean and refreshing. This one clearly isn’t for the beer nerd, but more of an easy drinkin’ summer beer for sure. Unless it’s over 90 and I’m outside on a deck, I’d rather not have this one again.

4.14/5  rDev +20%

Poured like a witbier - pale, hazy/cloudy gold - with a wispy, thin head of loose white foam that laced nicely.

Oh, the nose is wonderful. Such strong raspberry aroma...delicious. The nose carried thru to the tongue as the initial taste is ripe with raspberry (almost lambiclike), which faded to a slow fade to the beer's wheat origins. You can't help but think & taste summer. The throat was a luscious slide into a swirl of the beer's main proponents with a pleasingly bittersweet, yet mild, aftertaste.

This would be a great session offering, or go well with spicy food or even some desserts. A fantastic summer ale.

3.32/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not a bad little brew, this one. Light golden with a white/pink head of foam. Aromas are of Raspberry syrup, yeast, wheat, and not much else. The taste is very wheaty up front with the Raspberry flavors hitting hard in the middle, leading into a clean, wheaty finish. The mouthfeel is light and the drinkability is good. A refreshing summer quaffer.

3.92/5  rDev +13.6%

This beer is excellent. The color was rich and inviting with a nice head that does not diminish. Taste is exactly as one would expect for a fruit beer, warm and fulfilling.

Definalty a beer I would love to drink again. I find, however, that this is not a session beer. I would recomend the Iron Hill American Wheat beer for that.

3.47/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a decent fruit/wheat beer, but it's rather one-dimensional. Pours a light golden color with a huge raspberry presence in the nose. Mouthfeel is a carbonated bite to it. Smooth mild grassy maltiness, finishes very sweet. This one needs more hops to balance and bitter it and less of a sweet raspberry flavor. Not a bad fruit beer, but I've certainly had many better.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »