Ramstein Winter Wheat - High Point Brewing Company

Ramstein Winter WheatRamstein Winter Wheat

High Point Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Weizenbock |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-17-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ramstein Winter Wheat Alström Bros
ygtbsm94

03-03-2012 00:20:46 | More by ygtbsm94
Risser09

1.93/5  rDev -53.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter - Fridge temp - 2008

Appearance: Pours a dark black/brown with a 1" light brown head. Decent retention is shown and swirling creates some lacing. Mostly tiny bubbles make up the head.

Smell: What malt, slight hoppiness and a bit of funkiness. Underlying sweetness and actually some fruitiness. I can also pick up some aromatic alcohol.

Taste: Mostly flavored with wheat and also a deep malty flavor. There is a bandaid flavor that could indicate infection or oxidation. A slight fruity flavor adds a much needed element.

Mouthfeel: Boozy, slightly sugary, and rough in the mouth. The beer is just abrasive. Probably infected.

Drinkability: An okay beer. The flavors are under-developed, flat and not approachable. The finish is dry and flat. Not worth it.

03-19-2009 12:11:25 | More by Risser09
AChamberlain

2.25/5  rDev -45.9%

Ordered @ the Gate in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Poured black. Black. With a thin head. Looked interesting, but seemed too dark. I really could not pick up any aroma, maybe a little malt. To me the flavor was way off, it tasted like well water from back home. It was thin and wet in the mouth. The best thing about it was that it was pretty easy to drink. Went down like water. I'm not sure why this is rated so high. I'm pretty sure the pint was in good condition. Oh well, each his own I guess.

03-22-2007 01:26:20 | More by AChamberlain
genog

2.5/5  rDev -39.9%

12 oz bottle received in a BIF.

Bottle opened with absolutely no pop of carbonation and poured with absolutely no head whatsoever. Color is a rich dark, black brown. Smell is actually a very strange that almost made me gag. Very sour grapes and raisins. Taste is funky with a lot of figs and tart grape vine taste. Mouthfeeling is just watery. Judging by other reviews, I am hoping that this was just a bad bottle.

12-01-2007 20:36:18 | More by genog
tgbljb

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%

poured a deep brown reddish color with moderate tannish creamy head. Smellmwas of dark fruits (plums, raisins) mixed with malt. Taste was strongly alcololic and very over-powering to the senses. Finish was malty but not a taste I liked. After all the high prasie for this beer, I was very dissapointed. Maybe I'll try another year's batch.

08-13-2005 01:34:08 | More by tgbljb
Oxymoron

Colorado

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%

Not what I was expecting but ok. Pours a mostly cloudy coca-cola brown color. The pour needed some help but did provide a off white head that was surprisingly soft. Limited retention though and not much lacing.

The nose has a mix of malt and phenolics. To start, there is a nice malt essence with some kettle caramel and hints of chocolate and toffee. Not much on the wheat end though. There is a huge phenolic nose that is really off setting and distracts from the maltiness of the beer. There are hints of metallic and white pepper, but both are light.

The taste is not as phenolic but still off. The malt backs off a bit, which is a bit hinder from the carbonation. The malt is limited with more of a base malt taste. Chocolate comes out as well, but again, no really wheat flavors. Had to double check the style on this one. There is more of a yeast character as well, with some darker fruits, plums and a touch of raisins. Some minor hints of banana and cloves but light. At first I didn't pick out the metallic but as it warmed, the blood flavor came out.

The body is moderate to big. The carbonation was too big even if you don't consider style. I distracted some of the maltiness of the beer. Overall there were a lot of distractions in this beer to really enjoy. I wonder if it is better fresh.

08-18-2008 16:47:57 | More by Oxymoron
number1bum

2.88/5  rDev -30.8%

Part of NEPA BC split #13.

This pour was truly perplexing...what started out as a very dark brown, slightly reddish around the edges brew with a very nice two fingers of coffee colored head almost instantly changed to something that looks like flat cola. The head looked initially nice but was very fizzy and receded in about 15 seconds to absolutely nothing. I've never seen anything like it. Didn't leave even a trace, which is very disappointing.

Smell is musty and earthy, but not in a good way. Smells sort of metallic, too. So far I am not getting how this is rated so highly by so many. There's some sweetness there and some wheat, maybe a little bit of spice, but really not much going on and nothing very good going on.

The taste, luckily was not nearly as disastrous as the smell, but it still isn't my thing. Has a bit of caramel or brown sugar like sweetness, some spice and wheat, but there is a big anise/black licorice flavor that I don't really care for. Some dark fruit too, and maybe even a bit of yeast. Mouthfeel is pretty close to full bodied, yet it tastes thin. The carbonation is pretty active, which is a good thing in this case to keep it moving down the pipes.

I have a hard time believing there was anything wrong with this batch because it was part of a case split and no one else seemed to share my sentiments. Both bottles I had were equally lousy. I think I just plain don't care for it. Too bad. I won't be back for more.

04-15-2008 22:36:52 | More by number1bum
jwhawkins81

After reviewing this beer and looking over the previous reviews I wonder if I got the bottom of the barrel on this one. Seemingly I may need to revisit this one some day.

Smell: A sweet wheat malt aroma was all I was able to pick up.

Appearance: Poured dark a brown with a hint of red. Light brown head that quickly dissipated and provided no lacing.

Taste: Sweet alcohol taste upfront that gave way to a sour finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin with no carbonation.

Drinkability: Became almost tedious without any carbonation. Again this was on-tap so I may have had the dregs.

11-02-2008 18:06:49 | More by jwhawkins81
ejimhof

12-28-2011 01:41:31 | More by ejimhof
mikereaser

3.03/5  rDev -27.2%

A - pours a very dark brown with a half inche of tan foam

S - caramel malts, dark fruit and some wheat grains

T - similar to the nose, caramel malts, some wheat and dark fruit as well

M/D - medium bodied with decent carbonation, but not a whole lot of flavor, one is enough for me.

07-02-2010 17:53:17 | More by mikereaser
granite

New Hampshire

3.05/5  rDev -26.7%

12oz bottle into bock glass.

A---It poured a deep chocolate brown with a thin white head.

S---Malt, banana and phenolics.

T---Roast, chocolate, coffee, liquorish and higher alcohols.

M---Thin-medium bodied. It could use a touch more co2 to boost mouth feel in my opinion.

D---I found the overall malt bill a little muddled but overall an average weizenbock.

02-10-2007 15:33:17 | More by granite
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

3.08/5  rDev -26%

bottle via gregc- pours a brown cola medium clarity, very thin head and minimal lacing.
Nose- cloves, molasses, figs and other dark fruits. Taste- tart, almost lactic like qualities initially with a high roast like quality. Difficult to pick up a significant wheat component. A very unique take on the style, esp with the level of sourness. Carbonation is moderate, drinkability on the low side- this is a thick chewy brew.

09-05-2010 19:15:00 | More by oakbluff
tayner

Arizona

12 ounce bottle

cola brown with virtually no head even on aggressive pour. not much lacing as a result.

has s funky sour grape vinous nose, not really all that appealing which made it hard to drink for me

taste was better than the smell if i held my breath. It had lots of dark fruit but had a background of banana and clove which confused my palate. it is very complex which seems to fit the style, but not my tastebuds.

Mouthfeel was good, rich and thick for a wheat-based beer.

I could see people drinking a few of these as the 9% was well disguised, but i wont be drinking anymore of them.

01-31-2008 14:14:41 | More by tayner
walleye

3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

from the bottle, poured amber to brown, with a lght brown head, aroma, caramel, molasses, soy sauce, plums, dark chocolate colse to bitter sweet. flavor coffee where did that come from, smoke, wood, plums, do not taste the soy sauce. dry mouth feel. not to bad of a beer.

02-24-2005 23:43:21 | More by walleye
Prufrock

3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

12 oz. bottle into a pilsner.

pitch brown with half an inch of foamy light brown head that leaves little lacing.

sweet, bready aroma with a touch of smoke and some cloves. strong vanilla undertones and a touch of soy sauce.

medium carbonation and a smooth, medium body. touch of soy sauce in the flavor is slightly distracting, but otherwise nice; a touch of chocolate, breadiness, some dark fruits, and alcohol. soy flavors begin to dominate the others as it warms. very drinkable, but nothing so compelling that i'd want another.

02-21-2006 01:56:30 | More by Prufrock
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.23/5  rDev -22.4%

Bottle courtesy of Sammy: Poured a cloudy dirty brown color beer with a small foamy head with limited retention and no lacing. Aroma of sweet malt with some very subtle dry fruits. Taste of sweet malt is domination with again some very subtle dry fruits and some light alcohol notes. Body is full with some limited filtration and some low carbonation. Not exactly sure what to make of this beer and wouldn’t mind having another shot to rate this beer.

06-26-2007 00:34:17 | More by Phyl21ca

Maine

Ramstein Winter Wheat
12/29/12
Growler filled 12/27/12

Very dark brown, nearly black. Darkest wheat beer I've ever poured. Beige head is modest, but highly admirable for a growler. (4)

Aroma smells exactly like fresh banana bread: it's unmistakable. Some chocolate and molasses notes, too. (4)

The flavor is thick and rich. Banana bread once again, but this time more complex. The estery, ripe-fruit notes of the yeast are readily apparent. Intensely phenolic as well, with huge clove and nutmeg notes. Chocolate malts come through, along with a thick breadiness. Carob, treacle, spice cake. It's not that sweet, but there is something really cloying and borderline undrinkable about this beer. Mouthfeel is thick and dextrinous, yet utterly undercarbonated-- I won't judge too harshly since it's a growler pour. (3, 3)

This is a very unique wheat beer. There's something about it though-- perhaps the intense esters and phenols combined with the very high ABV and super-thick mouthfeel-- that renders it a bit undrinkable in my book. It's like banana bread motor oil. I wouldn't want more than 8oz, and I just poured myself .5L. It's no Aventinus, but it's an okay beer. (3)

12-30-2012 03:50:46 | More by dasenebler
NJpadreFan

3.38/5  rDev -18.8%

Ramstein- Winter Wheat

Purchased a 12oz bottle fro $1.10 at Joe Canal's- Lawrenceville, NJ

A- Dark amber brown with no head. Looks exactly like a glass of coke.
S- clove and wheat with a fruity molasses malt base.
T- Sweet fruity flavors come through like grape and raisin. A mild molasses malt dominates the body and a slight peppery clove twang comes through too.
M- Sweet up front with a slighty boozy dry finish.

Overall- A decent cold weather session beer. Didn't knock my socks off but for a $1 a bottle its definitely worth it!!

10-03-2007 19:17:48 | More by NJpadreFan
bob3701

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

I was reading some of the other reviews here and I am wondering if I got a bad batch. I'm also a little ashamed that this is my first brew from this brewery in my home state.

Poured into a Sam Adams glass. Very dark mahogany color, almost black, says it is unfiltered but holding it to the light it is clear. With a semi-hard pour I barely got any head. What head I did get was tan. It quickly diminished into a ring that laces with each sip but then the lacing slides back into the ring. Sour fruit and caramel malts in the aroma with the faintest hint of alcohol. First sip made me pucker with the sour fruit taste (too much black current in this batch?) Underlying chocolate and caramel flavors. I can not detect any wheat in this. The alcohol is well hidden. Unpleasant in the mouth with an acidy feel to it.

Based on othere reviews I hope I have a bad batch here since I do enjoy dunkle weizens. But shame on High Point for letting this get through.

02-14-2010 17:42:18 | More by bob3701
edskirk3

3.45/5  rDev -17.1%

I'm drinking Winter Wheat in the middle of May. According to the notch, I should enjoy it by August. 2006? Let's just assume.

Pours opaque black with a thin halo of ruby. Cola-like head, shade of mocha.

Scent of chocolate malts, thin notes of banana. Taste is similar, it's not unpleasant. Slight afterbite of weizen yeast. It's an unusual combination, for me at least.

It's a little bit filling, not something to drink in the middle of May. Unless you're in the Southern Hemisphere. It was a little chilly today, but apparently not enough.

Interesting brew, I'll give 'em that.

05-16-2006 02:55:19 | More by edskirk3
bultrey

3.45/5  rDev -17.1%

This is one I just can't get behind... I guess it's not my cup o' tea. Pours a very dark brown, like a nut brown, almost no head, and no lacing. The smell is earthy and roasty, with some clove, allspice, and mace mixed in.
The taste of this is just not my bag. It is sweet, with banana anc clove, but nowhere near as sweet as other weissbocks, which is a good thing. But it is balanced by a a very raw hop flavor, which I suspect comes from a German hoip varietal that I just don't care for. It also has a slight roastiness that, while not overpowering, tastes like cigarette ash to me.
Mouthfeel could be better, with more carbonation, and drinkability is low in my mind because of the taste. The alcohol seems well-hidden.
Clearly not a bad beer, as the ratings will attest, but maybe not for everyone. Give it a shot, though...

03-12-2005 19:37:25 | More by bultrey