Ramstein Winter Wheat - High Point Brewing Company

Ramstein Winter WheatRamstein Winter Wheat

High Point Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Weizenbock |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-17-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ramstein Winter Wheat Alström Bros
3.05/5  rDev -26.5%

12oz bottle into bock glass.

A---It poured a deep chocolate brown with a thin white head.

S---Malt, banana and phenolics.

T---Roast, chocolate, coffee, liquorish and higher alcohols.

M---Thin-medium bodied. It could use a touch more co2 to boost mouth feel in my opinion.

D---I found the overall malt bill a little muddled but overall an average weizenbock.

3.08/5  rDev -25.8%

bottle via gregc- pours a brown cola medium clarity, very thin head and minimal lacing.
Nose- cloves, molasses, figs and other dark fruits. Taste- tart, almost lactic like qualities initially with a high roast like quality. Difficult to pick up a significant wheat component. A very unique take on the style, esp with the level of sourness. Carbonation is moderate, drinkability on the low side- this is a thick chewy brew.

12 ounce bottle

cola brown with virtually no head even on aggressive pour. not much lacing as a result.

has s funky sour grape vinous nose, not really all that appealing which made it hard to drink for me

taste was better than the smell if i held my breath. It had lots of dark fruit but had a background of banana and clove which confused my palate. it is very complex which seems to fit the style, but not my tastebuds.

Mouthfeel was good, rich and thick for a wheat-based beer.

I could see people drinking a few of these as the 9% was well disguised, but i wont be drinking anymore of them.

3.18/5  rDev -23.4%

from the bottle, poured amber to brown, with a lght brown head, aroma, caramel, molasses, soy sauce, plums, dark chocolate colse to bitter sweet. flavor coffee where did that come from, smoke, wood, plums, do not taste the soy sauce. dry mouth feel. not to bad of a beer.

3.18/5  rDev -23.4%

12 oz. bottle into a pilsner.

pitch brown with half an inch of foamy light brown head that leaves little lacing.

sweet, bready aroma with a touch of smoke and some cloves. strong vanilla undertones and a touch of soy sauce.

medium carbonation and a smooth, medium body. touch of soy sauce in the flavor is slightly distracting, but otherwise nice; a touch of chocolate, breadiness, some dark fruits, and alcohol. soy flavors begin to dominate the others as it warms. very drinkable, but nothing so compelling that i'd want another.

3.23/5  rDev -22.2%

Bottle courtesy of Sammy: Poured a cloudy dirty brown color beer with a small foamy head with limited retention and no lacing. Aroma of sweet malt with some very subtle dry fruits. Taste of sweet malt is domination with again some very subtle dry fruits and some light alcohol notes. Body is full with some limited filtration and some low carbonation. Not exactly sure what to make of this beer and wouldn’t mind having another shot to rate this beer.

Ramstein Winter Wheat
12/29/12
Growler filled 12/27/12

Very dark brown, nearly black. Darkest wheat beer I've ever poured. Beige head is modest, but highly admirable for a growler. (4)

Aroma smells exactly like fresh banana bread: it's unmistakable. Some chocolate and molasses notes, too. (4)

The flavor is thick and rich. Banana bread once again, but this time more complex. The estery, ripe-fruit notes of the yeast are readily apparent. Intensely phenolic as well, with huge clove and nutmeg notes. Chocolate malts come through, along with a thick breadiness. Carob, treacle, spice cake. It's not that sweet, but there is something really cloying and borderline undrinkable about this beer. Mouthfeel is thick and dextrinous, yet utterly undercarbonated-- I won't judge too harshly since it's a growler pour. (3, 3)

This is a very unique wheat beer. There's something about it though-- perhaps the intense esters and phenols combined with the very high ABV and super-thick mouthfeel-- that renders it a bit undrinkable in my book. It's like banana bread motor oil. I wouldn't want more than 8oz, and I just poured myself .5L. It's no Aventinus, but it's an okay beer. (3)

3.38/5  rDev -18.6%

Ramstein- Winter Wheat

Purchased a 12oz bottle fro $1.10 at Joe Canal's- Lawrenceville, NJ

A- Dark amber brown with no head. Looks exactly like a glass of coke.
S- clove and wheat with a fruity molasses malt base.
T- Sweet fruity flavors come through like grape and raisin. A mild molasses malt dominates the body and a slight peppery clove twang comes through too.
M- Sweet up front with a slighty boozy dry finish.

Overall- A decent cold weather session beer. Didn't knock my socks off but for a $1 a bottle its definitely worth it!!

3.43/5  rDev -17.3%

I was reading some of the other reviews here and I am wondering if I got a bad batch. I'm also a little ashamed that this is my first brew from this brewery in my home state.

Poured into a Sam Adams glass. Very dark mahogany color, almost black, says it is unfiltered but holding it to the light it is clear. With a semi-hard pour I barely got any head. What head I did get was tan. It quickly diminished into a ring that laces with each sip but then the lacing slides back into the ring. Sour fruit and caramel malts in the aroma with the faintest hint of alcohol. First sip made me pucker with the sour fruit taste (too much black current in this batch?) Underlying chocolate and caramel flavors. I can not detect any wheat in this. The alcohol is well hidden. Unpleasant in the mouth with an acidy feel to it.

Based on othere reviews I hope I have a bad batch here since I do enjoy dunkle weizens. But shame on High Point for letting this get through.

3.45/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I'm drinking Winter Wheat in the middle of May. According to the notch, I should enjoy it by August. 2006? Let's just assume.

Pours opaque black with a thin halo of ruby. Cola-like head, shade of mocha.

Scent of chocolate malts, thin notes of banana. Taste is similar, it's not unpleasant. Slight afterbite of weizen yeast. It's an unusual combination, for me at least.

It's a little bit filling, not something to drink in the middle of May. Unless you're in the Southern Hemisphere. It was a little chilly today, but apparently not enough.

Interesting brew, I'll give 'em that.

3.45/5  rDev -16.9%

This is one I just can't get behind... I guess it's not my cup o' tea. Pours a very dark brown, like a nut brown, almost no head, and no lacing. The smell is earthy and roasty, with some clove, allspice, and mace mixed in.
The taste of this is just not my bag. It is sweet, with banana anc clove, but nowhere near as sweet as other weissbocks, which is a good thing. But it is balanced by a a very raw hop flavor, which I suspect comes from a German hoip varietal that I just don't care for. It also has a slight roastiness that, while not overpowering, tastes like cigarette ash to me.
Mouthfeel could be better, with more carbonation, and drinkability is low in my mind because of the taste. The alcohol seems well-hidden.
Clearly not a bad beer, as the ratings will attest, but maybe not for everyone. Give it a shot, though...

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

Very deep brown color with very little light shining through. Minimal head that quickly dissipated.

Aromas were tough to pick out, but I do have a bit of a cold. Slightly smoky, hints of banana and cloves. Not a strong smelling beer, though.

Intriguing flavor. Slightly burnt toast roastiness is the first thing I taste. Good malty backbone.

Medium mouthfeel with a slightly dry finish.

Overall this was an interesting beer.

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle courtesy of mikeyv35 - thanks man! Poured in to an Aventinus weizenglass.

Appearance: Pours very similar to a cola, probably a root beer float, really. The huge head seethes and bubbles upwards before slowly settling down from its three-finger height to a more manageable one-finger. It really does seethe, bubbling and popping and reforming and exploding, forming swiss cheese-like patterns up against the sides of the glass. The color of this brew is also similar to a cola - a dark, deep brown with ruby highlights around the periphery, much darker than many weizenbocks, but not outside the realm of stylistic possibilities. Settles down to a fizzy cola look pretty quick, too. A good start.

Aroma: A little odd and relatively faint. Faint bandaid, cloves, banana, brown sugar, prune juice, faint wispy alcohol ... methinks something might be wrong w/ this one.

Taste: This is an odd one, and I'm not sure if I like it or dislike it yet. The first thing I notice is a lot of slightly tart, faintly medicinal fruits. This causes me to look at the bottling date, though of course, there's only a "drink by" date - August, hm. Soft malts, brown sugar, cloves, prunes (that's the tartness again), tart cherries, raisins, figs, faint bananas, fainter cocoa, earthy bread crusts ... it's a weizenbock, essentially. And a very good one, with a slightly tart kick.

Mouthfeel: A little sticky and syrupy, despite the tartness (I feel it more on my lips afterwards), with a omnipresent, crisp, fluffy carbonation in a moderately thick and saccharine body.

Drinkability: The high carbonation, the slight tartness, the effervescence mouthfeel, the poor head retention ... this one reeks of infection. However, "reek" is the wrong word to use, because this is probably one of the best (unintentionally, I think) infected beers I've ever had. Also, 9.5%? Very well hidden. I can feel it in my belly and in my inability to type well at the moment, but no where else. If anything's infuriating about this brew - or rather, my attempt at drinking this particular brew - it's that I can tell there's a really awesome, authentic, traditional weizenbock behind these slightly funky notes. I got two other bottles of this, and I'm really eager to see if either of those have these same problems. I hope they don't, and will re-review when appropriate.

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

poured thick out of the bottle with a dark dark brown body and almost no head at all, just some film for a second when swished and just leaves a light ring around the glass.
this years aroma is a bit odd, getting black malt with some freshly ground coffee there is that spicy clovy wheat beer undertone her but the coffee overpowers. smooth body with not much carbonation. wants to be chewy at times but is held back, has a dry lingering aftertaste just making you drink more. very drinkable but i have to go back to the last bottle of last years and see if it really did change. still pretty good.

3.56/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is quite dark, almost a stout like appearance with nothing more than a tiny rim of head. Nose is unique and very malty. Notes of grape candy, wheat, and a hint of soy sauce and cocoa. Taste has fruity components up front with emphasis on grapes and maple syrup, this is followed by notes of carob and figs with a touch of balsamic vinegar on the finish. Mouthfeel is somewhat thick with low carbonation. Overall, this is a very unique and complex weizenbock, however the flavors just don't agree with me.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Bottle Inspection: Jul notched at the side, but no year. Why, WHY don’t they put a year?

Aroma: Condensed wheat, light notes of bitter coffee.

Appearance: Viscous with thick legs, the creamed coffee head lasted for about 2 seconds then dropped to a thin collar that didn’t lace. Glass was dark brown when tipped to see clarity, but opaque when standing.

Flavor: Sweet, with hints of corn sugar. Papery- I’m pretty sure we got last years’ bottle, but there’s no way to tell, is there? The flaw faded somewhat as it warmed, but never really left. It’s a Weizenbock with a lot of stout characteristics, some roasted grain, some light coffee. A weizenstout? Some grape and raisin notes late in the game.

Mouthfeel: Medium heavy body, viscous as promised, slightly syrupy which lingers in the mouth.

Overall Impression: Flawed beauty. Great beer, rich, flavorful, filling, but that papery edge really was bothersome. Brewery didn’t list the year, in my book that means they take the hit.

Another “thanks” to Pegasus for sharing the bottle

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had at Muggs Tavern in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
A- It is brownish red and fairly opaque. Solid head and lace.
S- There's an amazing flowery and nut scent.
T- It disappoints on the taste end. It is very dry and has a malty taste. Not a ton of flavor, which is surprising when compared to the scent.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Beer pours a dark, dark brown color with a minimal head. The smell is really malty, with a pruney note as well. Taste is good as well, but I feel like it lacks a substantial body. There is a good amount of terrific outer tastes, but as far as a cohesive body there is none. The outer notes include chicory, dark malts, and molasses. Overall a good beer, but nothing that I would go out of my way to find.

Ramstein Winter Wheat from High Point Brewing Company