Ramstein Winter Wheat - High Point Brewing Company

Ramstein Winter WheatRamstein Winter Wheat

High Point Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Weizenbock |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-17-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ramstein Winter Wheat Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

From a 6 oz sample out of a 12 oz bottle. Pours a deep deep brown color with ruby hues. No real head is there, just a light ring. Very dark and mysterious look about it. Nose is chocolate covered alcohol soaked banana. Just aqpuff of alcohol is in there. Solid. The flavor is very mellow. Banana and cream are very prevalent with a more subdued background of fig and chocolate. No hint of alcohol. Very tasty. The feel is thick with just a hint of carbonation. Very satisfying feel. Overall, a highly drinkable beer. I'd like a touch more of an edge on the dark malt. I would drink this again.

kmpitz2, Oct 06, 2005

2005 Bottle.

Pours out a very dark brown with dark red around the edges when held to light. Head was fairly big and a light tan color, retains well, but not as pillowy as one might expect. The smell is one that I've been waiting to experience, almost a revelation. It smells like a wonderful Christmas cookie. It's like a chocolate dipped banana plum, mixed with caramel and molasses cookies. Taste begins with some plum and a bit of dark fruit, plenty of Christmas spices as well, then ends up having a hint of burnt caramel and just a touch of coffee-like roastiness. Carbonation is on the higher side with just a little bit less than medium body. Alcohol is very well hidden in this one. I'm going to see if I can't get more of this so I can enjoy plenty of it during the next holiday season, although I'm sure this is great in any weather.

badbeer, Mar 16, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

Ramstein Winter Wheat is a beer that is hard for me to rate because I have had so few examples of the style, definitely less than five, but from what I can taste and see this beer is ostensibly without faults. The beer was served in a 10 oz tulip from Local 44. It was nearly opaque, dark mahogany brown with just a scummy layer of ecru foam. The beer smells spicy with clove and cinnamon, fruity like candied cherries and cooked bananas and warm like cake. These aromas are carried over in the taste of the beer. It is rich and thick but syrupy or cloyingly sweet. The wheat is manifest in the body and contributes a nice bready grain flavor. The body is luxurious with a whisper of carbonation that is perfect for the beer. I was very surprised by to read this was 9.5% because the alcohol was very well hidden and there was very little alcohol heat. Great beer.

Soonami, Jan 16, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

Originally sampled on 17 May 2003. Looks like a porter, but doesn't taste like one! it has a slightly fruity aroma w/ a flavor of tart cherries & brown bread. It is velvety on the tongue w/ a slightly sweet finish. This is a great brew. Thanks herbjones

jcalabre, Jun 02, 2003
4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

A very dark weizenbock, letting no light through, and having only a minimal head after the impressive pour. Smell is sweet and brown sugary, with banana. Smooth, sweet, like dessert. Taste is roasted and fairly strong, carmel, with alcohol well hidden, only providing a subtle tingle in the background. Mouthfeel is fairly smooth, not much carbonation, with a little sharp carbonation. A good weizenbock, rich and delicious, but falls short of my all-time favorite, Skyline Weizenbock.

TastyTaste, Mar 20, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

Dark Brown, almost black with a medium tan colored head. The smell is of cocoa and reminds me of banana nut bread. The flavor also reminds me of banana nut bread, with a smooth, but present alcohol finish. This is a very solid doppelbock and I will head to the brewery first chance I get - I wanna see these guys at work. Really drinkable for a strong complex beer. Proud to be from Jersey.

doho95fu, Dec 23, 2002
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance: Pours an incredibly dark brown that appears to be black at first glance. Completely opaque, with absolutely no light penetration. It's brown head starts out an inch thick and fades away to a small ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Has the traditional banana, clove, and bubblegum covered by a heavy layer of roasted malt, chocolate, peppery spiciness, and dark fruits. Stunning in it's complexity, with a touch of raw alcohol just under the surface.

Taste: Rich and tart with many layers of complexity and flavors. The expected banana and clove are there, only to be supplanted by rich chocolate, caramel, and coffee notes. Peeling back another layer reveals a bunch of fruity flavors: apple, plum, black currant, and raison. Another layer is the lightly toasted, biscuity grain flavor. Wrapped around all of those is a steady but restrained spiciness which has a lively, peppery touch. Amazing...

Mouthfeel: Medium in body with a low amount of carbonation...I'd like to see a bit more. Finishes with a spicy shot of alcohol.

Drinkability: Damn good for it's strength. While the name implies that it's primarily a cold weather brew, I could put down a few of these in any season.

I think the head size and it's retention and the lack of carbonation have something to do with it's age and the long trip it made to my doorstep.

A 'thank you' goes out to Davo for sending me this one.

MJR, Apr 24, 2003
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

I was pleasantly surprised to find this at a local distributor since I heard good things about Ramstein beers. I was not disappointed. It was a tad on the expensive side, but considering the cost of ingredients, the big taste of a big Weizenbock easily warrants a few extra bucks.

A: Very very Dark, with a generous dark tan 2 inch head. About as handsome as they get. Surprisingly though, there was no lacing at all as I got through it.

S: Bananas, cloves, rich toasty caramel malts. Highly inviting.

T: Those full rich caramel malts hug the palate, and linger and linger. Weizenbocks and double bocks are so hard to beat. This one is no exception. Outstanding.

M: Well carbonated, nice and sticky, yet smooth.

D: Extremely drinkable considering the high ABV. I think it tops Sam Adams double bock as far as drinkability (that's pretty good considering it has a higher ABV than the Sam's). I could definitely spring for another one immediately. (maybe a cigar too...?)

A delightful beer. Awfully good. I highly recommend it. And made relatively locally to boot! Germany would be proud.

Prost!

Bigjay1584, Feb 06, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Big thanks to goodbyeohio for this unexpected offering.

A: Pours a mix between dark brown and plum. Nice initial caramel colored one finger head. Dissipates quickly leaving a thin rim around the edge of the glass.
S: Plum and dark fruit sweetness emanates from the glass. Good background of malt.
T/M: Sweet at fruit mostly from the dark fruit. Nice wheat malty interlude with a twang of hops possibly? Slight sweet caramel notes also--a bit tarty. Exceptionally smooth and quite easy drinking for such a large beer. Good body. Wheatylike finish with notes of spices, cloves mostly
D: Glad I had the chance to try this fine brew. Although the abv is high it's not felt right away, although the warming of the chest has me rethinking my tune...

bjohnson, Dec 16, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Finally grabbed some of these at Half time beverages.
I am sampling a chilled sample in a snifter.
The beer pours a dark brown with deep garnet tints visible when held to the light. A small beige head foams up and fades to an edge layer rather quickly. Aroma is wheaty with cloves,cherries, and what I think are figs. Very nice mix on the nose.
First sip reveals small yet fizzy carbonation that fades as the beer warms. I can only describe the body as juicy. Flavor is very tasty with fruity cherry hits mixing with yeast flavors that create a combination that reminds me of scones. Very drinkable and no hint of the alcohol in this bad boy. terriffic beer!

sulldaddy, Jun 13, 2004
4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a deep, black, solid color with a thin tan head. The head is lasting.
What an aroma! There’s so much packed in there….chocolate, vanilla, butter, walnuts, more chocolate, banana, blackberries, heavily creamed coffee….wow. I could smell this beer for hours. Outstanding! Thick and substantial mouthfeel. Slight alcohol warming. Low carbonation. Dizzying complexity. This is a hell of a beer. It proves just how great a wheat beer can be.

Suds, Oct 16, 2004
4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours to deep brown, pretty much black color with just a ring of light brown for a head. The aroma is awesome and unusual, I've never smelt any brew like this. I get the chocolate, and banana with a bit of clove. I detect a bit of roasty and smokiness as well. I get almost a peanut butter aroma too. Very nice.

The flavor is like a chocolate covered fried peanut and banana sandwich, with a bit of smokiness in the back. It is full in body, yet drinkable with an alcohol warmth at the end.

A big thank to cousin Stubob for sharing the one with me. Very nice.

BeerBuilder, Nov 19, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass the Liquid is dark, a hazy cloudy dark brown. The carbonation is great, it pushes up a huge head that is 3 fingers tall chocolate brown and fades slow leaving a rocky surface and nice lace.

The smell is great. Yes a wheat beer with the aroma of spices banana, light cloves and a wonderful toasted caramel.

The taste follows this is a great brew.Slightly mellow yet complex. toasted caramel, dark bread, banana and cloves with just a hind of alcohol.

The mouthfeel is very good full body mixed with great carbonation, chewy and creamy. A joy to savor.

The drinkability is top. How can I get more of this? I WILL BE LOOKING.

Many thanks to billyb for a chance to try this great brew.
Prosit und Zum Wohl. MK

MuenchenerKindl, Mar 16, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a brown color with a small head that falls quickly and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass. The aroma is mostly dark malts and lots of fruitiness. Slight coffee aromas as well. The flavor is very nice - lots of chocolate and some fruits and a little coffee. Very smooth and tasty. The mouthfeel is thick and the drinkability is very good.

clvand0, Oct 06, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

This one pours from 12oz bottle(room temp, best by Sept) a rich and thick looking very dark brown with a very small head of foam that disappeared almost immediately. Still, there's some lacing when I tilt my glass.

The smell is complex. I note wheat, dark fruit, clove, banana and more.

The taste on first sip is very clovey with big hits of wheat and plum. As I swish the brew in my mouth, I'm getting good banana and more of the plum and clove and they're all working so well together with the finish being on the dry side.. And... where the heck is the 9.5%abv?? I hardly notice any warming as it goes down and I find that almost unreal!

I'm on the last third of my glass now and the tastes just seem to get better and better as this liquid nectar warms up even more from the body heat transmitted from my hand to the glass. Wow, just wow.

As I take my last sip, I notice just the tiniest bit of sediment in my New Belgium goblet but more importantly, I realize that I've just had a thoroughbly enjoyable drinking session with one, fine American Weizenbock!

Bottom line: This is, imho, a world class brew and a *must* try if you see it in your area. Me? I got my sample from my buddy in NYC, nutbrown. Thanks a bunch!!!

Bitterbill, Jan 28, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Ever notice how Superman's "black" hair actually had a slightly blue sheen to it in the comic books and on TV cartoons? Same thing here -- except it's more of a burgandy-violet color that creeps in around the well-lit areas. Dense but minimal brown head.

Charred oak, camp fire, apples, cloves -- each a distinct and powerful aroma. Some expected (from the color) elements of chocolate or dark-ish malts on the palate, but this is really a mix of distinct, unique flavors. Begins with a rich, smooth homemade chocolate frosting texture and flavor. Moves to a stewed, spiced apple slathered in carmelized sugar and cloves. Develops a fascinating smoked finish. It makes sense in the broad scope of the beer, but taken on its own, I could see being reminded of baked salmon skin.

Biruchan and schoolteacher are oh so good to me. Quite an impressive brew.

marburg, Feb 06, 2004
4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Have heard many a good thing about this bier. Let's see!

This bier came out the color of dark chocolate, with hardly a trace of any light being able to penetrate through. The head was fine and creamy, yet not too big, with not much lacing, either.

The aroma was rich and sweet, immediately putting me into a Doppelbock mode! Chocolate and toffee, as well as suggestions of dark fruit, were all present. Quite appetizing!

Mouthfeel was top-notch! More than medium bodied, this Wheat is trying to get pumped and be a full-bodied bier! Silky smooth on the tongue, with just a pinch of bubbly/foamy carbonation. Nothing at all to detract from the sensation, though!

Toffee and caramel flavors, malty sweetness, and dark fruit flavors combine in a rich cornucopia of pleasures on the tongue. The 9.5% abv, though hidden in the flavor profile, does make itself known with a welcome warmth in the belly!

A far as drinkability goes, I may not drink many in a session, but I give it a 5 since I'd probably not at any time turn one down! A big-time thnx goes out to Davo, who was kind enough to give me a bottle. Vielen Dank, und Prosit!!

overall: 4.5
appearance: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | mouthfeel: 5 | drinkability: 5

Bierman9, Mar 30, 2003
4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

12 oz brown bottle with a freshness date on the label. Bottle conditioned and at 9.5% abv … there is no worry of freshness. A big thanks to Davo for the sample.

Appearance: Attractively dark with a beautiful lacing up the glass. The head is a bit thin but the retention lasts for the length of the beer.

Smell: Big aromas of dark fruit and faded clove. Malty sweet with a solid wheat malt twang in the back.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Succulently smooth with a rolling yet light crispness that struggles to get through the full body. Slight warming alcohol middle to end, hints of clove underneath the mountain of malt. Hints of dark bread and ripe fruit come to mind, lots of wheat malt flavour with a toasted malt thickness in the finish.

Notes: An amazing brew, I would have guessed 7.0% abv not 9.5%. Very deceiving. So luscious in the mouth and so drinkable for a big beer. A top-notch brew in my book not only for the style but for a winter seasonal.

Jason, Dec 02, 2003
4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

I am not a big traditional german style wheat beer fan, at least not till now. It has that traditional sweetness of the German Wheat's but is so much more here and the overall harmony of the flavors and aromas is great. My new favorite wheat beer.

Appearance: dark brown but not too dark, poured with a 1 finger of foam which held up well

Smell: Sweet and Malty, with a good deal of complexity.

Taste: Awesome! Sweet and Malty but balanced by subtle fruit and herb flavors that keep your taste buds entertained through out. Light hoppiness kept the beer in balance.

Mouthfeel: Consistent with style. Just heavy enough for the style, not thick at all

Drinkability: At 9.5% winter warmer this went down oh so smooth.

I would pick one up if you get a chance.

njmoons, Apr 02, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Kev is a champ! Breaking this out after Raspberry Eisbock??? INSANE! 12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. It pours a deep brown, almost black color with one finger of head that dies down quickly. There is no lacing. The smell is full of wheat malt, yeast, and spices. It has lots of cloves, and a nice roasty character. The taste is fantastic as well. It has a lot of roasted malt and bready flavors up front. There is just a little bit of the classic banana and clove in there as well. Very deep and complex, with just a hint of alcohol on the finish. The mouthfeel is incredibly strong, yet smooth. The drinkability is awesome for such a strong beer. Truely unique. My hat's off to Kev. He is king.

SheepNutz, Oct 06, 2005
4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

12 oz single bottle purchased from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield for $2.99...
First thought - this tastes exactly like a Dr. Pepper or a Cherry Cola...
Exceptional dark-black, opaque colored hue with an immense five-fingered frothy head that displayed impressive staying power...
Sublte malt-like smell replete with cocoa, espresso, and dehydrated-fruit nuances....
As mentioned before, tastes very similar to a Dr. Pepper or Cherry-flavored Cola, with noticeable caramel, mocha, espresso, toffee, creamy vanilla, and latte flavors combining to produce a magical-tasting and exceptional brew...
Great rich, thick, filling mouthfeel full of flavor and quality...
Good drinkability as well despite the hefty ABV and rich conglomeration of flavors...
Excellent stuff... Definitely recommended...

dsa7783, Feb 24, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +13%

On tap at Bobbique in Patchogue, this beer poured a near black color with a nice brown head. Great aromas of spice and fruit, somewhat similar to a Hefe but with more fruit. This is one tasty brew, with a mildy fizzy mouthfeel. Big flavors of dark fruits and raisens mixed with a perfect amount of spice and malt make it very drinkable. I was surprised to see how high the ABV was, but it made sense since I had a pretty good buzz going from 3 of them. I will definitely get this again if I come across it.

lehows, Jan 18, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +13%

This beer poured into the glass a dark port wine color, deep dark and ruby/purple colored and when held to the light very little passed through the glass, just on the edges you could see some red highlights. I swear it looked like dark grape juice with red highlights. The head the it produced was a medium tan/brown color that produced a thick head that lasted only a moment then faded to a thin ring and covering on the surface. No lace seemed to be present. The aromas that came from this beer were big and sweet – dark fruits, sweet malts, apples, caramel, floral hops and some spices. The tastes that came from this “wheat” beer were big and surprising. I tasted creamy chocolates, dark fruits, apples, sweet malts, spices, some alcohol , wheat grains and some ash dryness. This beer was creamy and full of fruit flavors. I really enjoyed it. It through me a little, because the colors, flavors, and tastes were different from what I am used to in a wheat beer. Excellent. Nice and warming.

Jarod, Apr 15, 2003
4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

A: Poured a dark opaque cola with a deep reddish hue and a thin micro-bubbly dirty khaki head.

S: The nose was bursting with bananas, cloves and a big dark, ripe fruitiness (raisins). A nice wheat-bread backing is detected. The nose bears strong yeasty attributes against a nice wheaty backbone providing pleasantly sweet, soft aromas perfect per style.

F: The initial flavor was some dark, ripe fruit (plums, raisins), cloves, and some dried cherries. The beer finished with a huge burst of ripe fruit and was crisp and clean.

M: The mouthful was moderately full and silky smooth with lots of dark, ripe fruit and yeastiness coming through upon warming.

D: Overall the beer was very drinkable at 9.0% abv with a great spiciness of ripe fruit and yeast. One of the best beers out of NJ and very good per style.

beerthulhu, Jan 25, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

Winter is finally getting cold as this season beers get hot!
Such is the case - Ramstein Winter Wheat spans all the senses at once.
Roasted malt clove enhanced mixed aromas of molasses,chocolate,coffee blending with a citrus real ale hop nose over a dark dough bread.
Poured an off-white creamy head showing good lacing on top of a dark ruby red clear liquid that appears brown in the glass.
The flavor starts out tasting of roasted malts clove spice to chocolate with a long moderately sweet finish having amble body creamy texture and a hidden alcohol finish.
Very enjoyable!
I'll save a few to add to my vintage beer collection

outdoorbrewer, Feb 15, 2007