Ramstein Winter Wheat - High Point Brewing Company

High Point Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Weizenbock |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-17-2002

Rich creamy head with bouquet of Wheat malt, black current, clove, and apple. Deep full flavors of caramel and chocolate malt balance with hops for a smooth warming character. Smooth malt leads to a subtle alcohol and dark caramel finish. The wonderful balance of this beer provides a complex profile hiding the 9.5% alcohol content. The perfect companion for a cold winter night.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ramstein Winter Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 292 | Reviews: 239
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Enjoyed on tap at the Gate in Brooklyn. Dark and powerful. Lots of fruit and yeast in the nose. burnt flavors. yeast and bready notes. Alcohol obviously present but well in the background of this finely crafted brew. This style continues to grow on me. Strangly refreshing, complex, interesting, drinkable and strong at the same time.

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at the Farmhouse in Emmaus.

I don't know, this seems a lot of their classic wheat beer to me without much difference. It looks a nice dark brown with tan head and lacing in my pint glass. The aroma and flavor have a strong, earthy character, which is cool, but not normal for the style. Beyond that I found undertones of orange and banana with bigger cocoa and roasted/toasted wheat and malt. This seems more like some hybrid of the weizenbock and an imperial porter. Unusual flavor aside, the element of this beer that really struck me was the sheer drinkability. It hid the alcohol perfectly and offered a medium body that could easily be mistaken for a much weaker beer.

Overall, not my favorite in terms of flavor for the style, but it's something different and very easy to drink.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Appears a black with a dark chestnut hue. A creamy 2 finger tan head floats on the top and slowly fades into a mild film and thick, creamy collar. Spotty lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of vanilla, caramel, clove, chocolate, raisins, wheat, and perhaps a hint of coffee.
Taste is a creamy blend of the above aromas with a mild fruity clove finish.
Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth with a semi-dry finish that is of delicate yeast, spice, fruit, and chocolate.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Sampled due to BIGsBIF and the kindness of BeerBeing.

Pours a dark as stout brown colored beer with some haze. Understated tan head formation.

Smell is quite full of dark roasted malt for the style. Lots of coffee and chocolate aromas that are far more pronounced than I expected. Lots of cake malt scent and black pepper. Banana and clove aromas are missing here.

Taste is smooth and chocolate milkshake. Mildly sweet with a good chocolate and coffee flavor this is outstandingly smooth for a beer. Alcohol? What Alcohol? Thing is I was expecting a lot more flavor for a Weizenbock.

Mouthfeel is pretty much chocolate milkshake REALLY thick.

Outstanding drinkability score. So freaking smooth you could give it to babies. My only complaint here is the total absence of typical German wheat beer flavors. This is more Imperial Wheat Sweet Stout to my taste buds, but it IS quite good.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

A snifter served at PA's premiere beer destination, Capone's.

A: The ale is a deep brown color, hazy and near black with a 1 finger head. Lacing is nonexistent.

S: The aroma is an estery sweet weizen with a strong undercurrent of alcohol. The estery clove and banana elements are quite strong.

T: The weizenbock combines the best aspects of two good styles. The flavors are all weizen, estery with touches of clove spiciness and banana sweeetness. The wheat body is stronger, supporting more alcohol and creating a more robust flavor. The ale has a thickness that is almost, but not quite, chewable.

M: Sweet with fruity esters and extremely strong, this ale combines the two styles in an excellent manner.

D: The alcohol is strong but nowhere bear the 9.50%, making this a potent ale. Drink with caution but you'll enjoy every sip.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

I don't want to demean the beer by labeling its appearance "cola-like" but this is a case where that really would be the best way to describe it. It has a deep russet colour with a dark crimson hue and glints of cherry. Its head is a crackling collection of tiny, prickling bubbles, of which most of the original patch quickly sizzled out. Unavailingly, a steady stream of carbonation tries to ensure constant resurfacing.

The aroma places itself somewhere between candy coated cough drops and vintage sherry. Quite a contrast, I know, but it's ultra complex. Finely matured notes of long-ago fermented fruits are dusted over with a sugary sweet glaze. It can border medicinal - and certainly always potent - but it packs the nostrils so full of fruity esters and spicy phenols that it distinguishes itself foremost as one thing: deliciously appetizing.

I failed to mention all the banana, weak coffee and dark chocolate truffles I noted - good thing they're even more present in taste! These flavours (especially the banana) exist alongside damp, grainy whole wheat breads and earthy, over-ripened stone fruits. Being more specific: I taste plums, apricot, dried cherry, figs, dates, raisins - wow, this is insanely fruity in a very dark, rich, complex way; its resemblance to sherry can be uncanny at times.

Mostly because it offers a strong, complex, and quite dry persona. The most significant departure from fortified wine, of course, is the 4th of July like fireworks like display of fiery, spicy phenols. This is rampant with clove-like taste that leaves the tongue inundated with a peppery fragrance. Luckily, syrupy sweet caramelized malts and crisp, farm fresh wheat keep that spice well in check.

Despite all the beer's strong qualities (of which it has many) none of them ever become overwhelming. I haven't yet had anything else from High Point Wheat Beer Co. but I'm willing to believe they really know what they're doing. To brew a beer this strong and mighty and not compromise on any character and still have it come out eerily sessionable - that's the sign of a talented brewer. It's also a sign I should seek out more his brews!

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%

Thanks goes out to Hojaminbag for this brew.

Pours a nice dark brown color, some carbonation, nice little fizzy off-white head, with minimal sticky lacing. The nose is malty, with some toffee notes, and caramel. The taste is slightly sweet malty, slightly bitter, with some toffee. Medium Body. Drinkable, this is a pretty tasty brew.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle from jcalbi as part of BIFXV. Thanks for the opportunity. 2003 bottling.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/4" tan head above the clear, barely translucent reddish dark brown brew. Head quickly fades to layer of bubbles, and exhibits average lacing. Aroma is dark, malty sweetness, coupled with heavy, vinous fruits, and a bit of an alcohol tinge. Taste is all the nose indicated, and more so. Creaminess just makes the mouthfeel a dream, and drinkability benefits from both complexity, which induces revisiting for me, and just the ease with which it goes down.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured a dark opaque cola with a deep reddish hue and a thin micro-bubbly dirty khaki head.

S: The nose was bursting with bananas, cloves and a big dark, ripe fruitiness (raisins). A nice wheat-bread backing is detected. The nose bears strong yeasty attributes against a nice wheaty backbone providing pleasantly sweet, soft aromas perfect per style.

F: The initial flavor was some dark, ripe fruit (plums, raisins), cloves, and some dried cherries. The beer finished with a huge burst of ripe fruit and was crisp and clean.

M: The mouthful was moderately full and silky smooth with lots of dark, ripe fruit and yeastiness coming through upon warming.

D: Overall the beer was very drinkable at 9.0% abv with a great spiciness of ripe fruit and yeast. One of the best beers out of NJ and very good per style.

4.39/5  rDev +5.8%

Dark chestnut colour with a light brown head composed of fine bubbles. This settled to a thin wisp and solid ring. The aroma started off with lots of bready banana notes, but continued sniffing revealed a bit of clove, some roasted malt, and dried fruit. These characters were all present in the flavour as well, but the banana was a little less pronounced and there was a bit of cocoa that filled things out. Carbonation was low, the body was medium/full. It was a little dry with a creamy texture and some alcohol warmth. Highly recommended, this is a very tasty beer.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Big thanks to DrJay for providing this fine, fine beer.

Pours a clear orange/brown, very dense looking, thick tan head, nice lacing, great retention, this shit sticks. Smell is chocolate, caramel, fruits, very malty, little bit of alcohol, very appealing! Taste is sweet and malty, lots of toffee and dark chocolate, some floral, wheat, dark fruits, bit of yeast fantastic balance. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation, very smooth, easy drinker. Was shocked to see theh 9.5%. Thanks again Jay!

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Fuck, this beer is damn near black. Surprised me for a weizenbock, but I like it. The head is slight and light brown. Lacing is spotty and droopy. Big nose full of phenolics, esters, figs, bananas and light pepper. The flavors are so smooth and sublte. There's something to be said of subtlety and this beer has it. But for a whopping 9.5% a/v, I can't taste a single hint of ethanol. Notes of raisin and figs dance with some fruity tones of berries and plum. Flavors of yeast, bread and crumbcake give this beer a wonderful malt profile. The mouthfeel is lightly carbonated and smooth. Body about medium full. If I could give a 10 for drinkability, I would. Damn this is smooth. Awesome beer.

Big ZAP! This stuff is the Bomb. Thanks bitch.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

This one pours from 12oz bottle(room temp, best by Sept) a rich and thick looking very dark brown with a very small head of foam that disappeared almost immediately. Still, there's some lacing when I tilt my glass.

The smell is complex. I note wheat, dark fruit, clove, banana and more.

The taste on first sip is very clovey with big hits of wheat and plum. As I swish the brew in my mouth, I'm getting good banana and more of the plum and clove and they're all working so well together with the finish being on the dry side.. And... where the heck is the 9.5%abv?? I hardly notice any warming as it goes down and I find that almost unreal!

I'm on the last third of my glass now and the tastes just seem to get better and better as this liquid nectar warms up even more from the body heat transmitted from my hand to the glass. Wow, just wow.

As I take my last sip, I notice just the tiniest bit of sediment in my New Belgium goblet but more importantly, I realize that I've just had a thoroughbly enjoyable drinking session with one, fine American Weizenbock!

Bottom line: This is, imho, a world class brew and a *must* try if you see it in your area. Me? I got my sample from my buddy in NYC, nutbrown. Thanks a bunch!!!

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Hallelujah, at long last I have a bottle of Ramstein Winter Wheat. Those in NJ/NY wouldn't understand my obsession with finding this, but I've been looking for it ever since my first weizenbock. Now I have it and it's almost gone.

The beer is way darker than any other weizenbock I have had before, blackish brown with a dark tan foam, kind of stouty looking. The beer smells of bananas and a little chocolate. The taste is more chocolate than you'd expect but with all the banana and clove it should have. And no lactose. I like it a lot.

4.36/5  rDev +5.1%

On the pour a deep brown to black with some ruby high lights and the head modest in size, creamy in texture and the color a dark tan with the lace a thick and glutinous sheet to seal off the glass for view. Ah that smell, sweet wheat, cloves, and a hint of licorice, also some toasted tones noticed, quite a sniffer this one, start is sweet and thick, the top middling in feel. Finish is benignly acidic and the hops mild and pleasant in their spiciness with the aftertaste bone dry and a fine beer I’ve wanted to try.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Draft @ Barcade Jersey City.

The pour is dark brown in color with some reddish highlights and a small fluffy tan head that dissipates rather quickly.

Aromas begin with lightly roasted, chocolate-based malts, with notes of wheat, dark caramel, banana, cracked cloves and well-ripened dark fruits. Yeast esters emerge more as it warms.

The tastes begin with mildly sweet chocolate-coated roasted maltiness and a bit of dark caramel. Hints of spicy clove and sours wheat emerge as you continue to sample. The dark fruitiness and light banana emerge as it warms. The overall flavor profile picks up a bit more sweetness as you further sample.

The mouthfeel is medium to heavy bodied with medium carbonation. Velvety smooth and almost creamy on the palate. Finish is highlighted by a touch of roast and dried fruits with a smooth, mildly warming finish.

Overall this is the best American made Weizenbock I have ever had, surpassing the example from Thomas Hooker I had last year. The malt base is definitely darker and more chocolate-forward than the traditional German example, which allows the yeast esters to not strangle the flavor profile, which is a huge plus for me. Not a drop of detectable alcohol is detectable except in your belly with that slightly warming feeling. Wish they still bottled this because it is by far High Point's best beer. Glad I was finally able to sample this; highly recommended

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

A - Quite possibly the darkest weizenbock I ever seen. Barely any head at all maybe some opaque colored head that fizzes to particularly nothing.

S - Quite mild banana, clove and and maybe some chocolate. A very solid light smell is good on such a high octane beer.

T - Some roast and molasses surprised me beneath some mild ripe fruits and mild spicy clove. Wheat seems mild yet balanced.

M - Kind of watery actually. Has mild flavors and seems not is intense as others describe. Medium heavy at best.

Overall I am not sure if this is a older bottle (like last years) but it's notched at October and has some sediment at the base. Even if its old it drinks rather well.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

Serving type: 12 oz. bottle poured into a mug

A: I'm probably too much of a n00b to discern the difference, but this Weizenbock looks near-identical to all quality stouts I've had. Which is to say, solidly black, with very little dark cream head and minimal lacing, if at all. Appealing at the very least.

S: At first you wonder where the aroma of this beer is at all, but a couple of good solid deep inhales reveal a tasteful, sweet scent beneath the obvious dessert flavors. The more I smell it, the better it gets, like a fresh piece of pie. It's fantastic.

T: I'm not sure I can even review this beer unbiasedly (is that a word?), because it's absolutely one of my favorites. It's uncharacteristically smooth for such a big beer, lots of bready, malted flavors. Every mouthful of this beer rewards with big flavors of mild milk chocolate, banana cream pie (I swear!), malted sugars and more. It's amazing.

M: So chewy, and so delicious, like a piece of white bread that has been sitting in a sugary chocolate concoction for the past 2 weeks. I almost want to freeze this and eat it with a spoon.

D: I only knocked this down a peg because it's 9.50% ABV and it kicks my tail all over the room. Too bad because I often want to drink about 12 of them in a sitting. VERY drinkable, dangerously so.

HIGHLY recommended, a favorite beer of mine.

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks to Thirstybird for cracking this one open. Served in a tulip. Poured a semi-translucent brown with red highlights when backlit. Not much of a head - some clusters of bubbles, but that's about it. Nose reveals banana, clove, a malty quality and molasses or brown sugar. Taste is fairly sweet for the style, a hint of chocolate, a little earthy, a little herbal overlaid on the dominant characteristics present in the nose. Mouthfeel is lightly carbonated, with a medium-light body. Really tasty with a great deal of complexity. Really delicious - goes down a little too easy considering the well-hidden abv.

As I drink this out of my big Aventinus glass I can't help but feel there has been a changing of the guard for me....For a long time I have considered Aventinus one of the best beers in the world and THE best Weizenbock....I still consider it one of the best in the world but I can no longer call it THE best weizenbock around because this Ramstein Winter wheat tops it...

Pours a dark black with brown hues....a fantastic creamy 1/8 inch tan head...the nose is outstanding....one of those beers that you just want to smell, and smell and smell...Great clovey nose...but sweeter notes are also evident...a little bit of a sweet over-ripe banana aroma...

Flavor is sweet..dark fruits and banana sprinkled with chocolate syrup...cloves are dominant too....outstanding taste to this...

The body is full but not overdone....it's very creamy...9.5%?? The alcohol is remarkably hidden in the taste....a nice belly warmer though...

Drinkability is sky high because despite its strength and full flavors and smell it is extremely drinkable...Wish I could get a keg of this..

I've wanted to try this beer for a long time and usually when you are that excited about something it usually is a let-down when you finally taste it....this exceeded my expectations...I was thinking 4.0-4.5....not sure how this will compute when I punch it in but it will be above that for sure..

Big thanks to Biruchan and schoolteacher for this outstanding experience in beer drinking...

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

A really interesting off blackish color with some purpley hints around the edges, nice dark tan head about a pinky high of thick, lush foam, sits a bit before diminshing to a thick collar, no real lace sticking, a few miniscule spots.

Aroma is muted sweet malts with a nice deepness of raisin, some dark cherry, vanilla, and softly rounded alcohol warmth;also, a bit funky with some smokeyness. A nice nose as it warms.

Taste is favorably malty sweet with a little touch of tartness from some dark cherry aspects, which mixes with some raisin and sweetish wheat tones that surface after midway and lingers into the finish with a bit more fullness then at the start. Notes of vanilla and molasses in there.

Feel starts slow but builds from there quite nicely gaining some and ending full and sweet with a floating easy finish. Smooth and lightly creamy overall. A nice drinkable Weisenbock.

A super big thanks goes to Fishbone for sending out some extra for me to have for after the Holidays!! What a karma-rific guy! Thanks!

4.4/5  rDev +6%

Appearance – Deep brown in color with a burgundy hue and a modest head. This is very dark for a Weizenbock. It is cloudy and murky.

Smell – The fruits here are very deep and ripe. I want to say mashed raisins soaked in alcohol and a touch of vanilla mostly. I can also pick out black cherries, red grapes, and lots of cranberry. The sweet malt base is muted but present.

Taste – Wow, this is a big ‘un. I’ve never had a Weizenbock with such an emphasis on the fruity nature of its profile. All the smells from the aroma find their way into the taste along with a little bit bigger malt and some sherry undertones. There are also some chocolaty notes in here as well.

Mouthfeel – Well past medium-bodied with little carbonation. The alcohol is much quieter in the mouth, giving this one a very pleasing mouthfeel.

Drinkability – I tried to savor it, but the bottle was just too good. I did well enough though to enjoy the changing flavors are it warmed.

Comments – I don’t see this as a classic interpretation of the style, but The Bros say to rate with personal preference and I loved this one. I got this gem from jcalbi as part of this year’s Christmas Exchange coordinated by xlperro. A big BA THANX to you guys.

Zum wohl!

Update - I haven't reviewed this beer for a couple of years but got a chance to indulge over at Skyhand's Five Star Motel.

It is really really dark in flavor, more so than most Dunkel Weizens. The flavor is terrific and it's one of the better American-made sample of the style.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

VENOM (Loren) was right, you need to do anything you can to get this stuff! A dark brown, nearly black, nearly opaque looking brew with an excellent head of tan foam, that unfortunately dies early and leaves little in the lacing department. The aromas are all there and all all classic: Cloves, vanilla, banana, other fruits and spices, with a distinctly flavorful wheaty-yeastiness to it as well. The taste is an almost euphoric blend of wheat flavors, coupled with chocolate (dark german chocolate?) cherries, berries, spices, and more! The mouthfeel is super creamy and excellent, but not perfect. The drinkability, however, is perfect, and the fact that this brew is nearly 10%ABV just absolutely blows my mind. Thanks for the tip Loren. Wonderful stuff here. The new Aventinus on the block.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Presentation: 12 ounce brown bottle that came into my possession during the BA NYC Rally Sunday Brunch from fellow BA Davo, whilst sharing a couple of Teutonic beers at the Heidelberg Restaurant in New York. No freshness or strength listed, notched as Drink Before July – but no year, LOL.

Appearance: Very dark pour, a surprise, dark brown, almost black. ½” tan brown head that soon disappears and leaves a broken covering on the beers surface. Low levels of carbonation. Fizzes when replaced on the Table after a mouthful, quite weird – but impressive.

Nose: Dark alcohols, lots of fruity chewing gum candy smells mixed with some coffee and peppers. Mild figs and other dark fruits race into the back end of the beer. A very intense nose indeed, and quite complex.

Taste: A lovely smoky malt wheat beer entrance, fresh wheat, cloves, bananas, peppers and yet more figs. Smooth chocolate and bitter-sweet sultanas and raisins trapped in a malt biscuit center. This beer wraps the tongue in a fruity malt wheat beer that has an intensely complex pattern that seems to alter during every drink. Awesome!

Mouthfeel: Extremely wholesome, some banana cloying at the back end, but the fruity feel in the mouth is extremely inviting.

Drinkability: Is this really 9.5%?? No way - yeeez!! Doesn’t drink like it all. The wheat aspects lend a fantastic medium body that makes this very easy to dispatch.

Overall: I thoroughly enjoyed this one and I was saving it for the BA So.Cal. “get together” at the Pizza Port Strong Ale Festival in a few weeks time. However, Gentleman BA Davo mentioned he would bring more supplies for the others, so I cracked this open and selfishly consumed the entire bottle myself. The other BA’s are in for a treat!!

Cheers & Thanks Davo – see ya soon mate!

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

On tap in pint glass from Tuscany Brewhouse

A- Dark Mahogany with great lacing. Thin head

S- Huge sweet fruit and dark malt aroma, Dark bread

T- Again huge ripe fruits, figs, dark bread malts very rich. Touch of spice clovey and maybe anise

M- Very smooth but thick creamy, roasted malted finish

ABV 9.5%. Creeps up nicely surprisingly does not drink like it is that high very warming
A winter winner!