2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ramstein Winter Wheat - High Point Brewing Company

Ramstein Winter WheatRamstein Winter Wheat

High Point Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Weizenbock |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-17-2002)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ramstein Winter Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 281 | Reviews: 239 | Show All Ratings:
muskiesman

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

On tap in pint glass from Tuscany Brewhouse

A- Dark Mahogany with great lacing. Thin head

S- Huge sweet fruit and dark malt aroma, Dark bread

T- Again huge ripe fruits, figs, dark bread malts very rich. Touch of spice clovey and maybe anise

M- Very smooth but thick creamy, roasted malted finish

ABV 9.5%. Creeps up nicely surprisingly does not drink like it is that high very warming
A winter winner!

02-05-2012 16:59:26 | More by muskiesman
umfskibum

Maine

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

12 oz bottle, thanks to markgugs for the trade!

A: Pours dark brown, with the slightest ruby tinge around the edges of the pint. Disappointing small head that disappears immediately.

S: Cloves, figs, and alcohol fill the nose. Very strong and complex, with a ton of layers to it. Sweet.

T: Fruity (figs and bananas) with some alcohol in the undertones. Malty and sweet, though the finish is a bit tart with some other fruity tastes, particularly plum/raisin. Nice and complex; this is a fantastic example of the style that has different flavors for beginning, middle and end.

M: Chewy and thick, but very smooth. The taste of alcohol is there, but there isn't any bite to it, but just a warming sensation in the throat. Sweet, soft carbonation.

D: Quite drinkable, and probably the second-best Weizenbock I've had. A fantastic example of the style, and the best you'll find brewed stateside. Balanced yet complex, thick but smooth, this beer is a pleasure to drink.

03-05-2007 01:52:58 | More by umfskibum
wsouloa

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I just had Ramstein Winter Wheat yesterday at David Copperfield's in the city. It was a special event with the High Point Wheat Beer Company. They had the Winter Wheat on tap from a cask. Although Winter Wheat is normally a good beer, it was significantly better out of the cask. The smell and taste were magnified. If you ever get the chance to experience this, don't pass it up.

Serving type: cask

01-23-2004 17:56:30 | More by wsouloa
northernbrews

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Received this 12 oz bottle as an extra from BeerBeing from our recent trade. Thanks again Alex! I've wanted to try this for a while.

Appearance: Pours dark brown in my DFH snifter. The 1/2 inch tan head of tiny bubbles quickly fades to a thin layer. There is slight lacing left on my snifter.

Aroma: Starts with some sweet dark fruit. This is followed by wheat and grassy notes. There is some roasty malt and bananna flavors near the finish.

Taste: Quite similar to the aroma. Starts with some sweet dark fruit and roasted malts. There is a slight burn from the alcohol, but it's pretty mild. There is some black cherry and bananna flavors that are balanced nicely by the malts.

Mouthfeel: This is slightly creamy with the sweet malt and dark fruits hanging around until the next sip.

Drinkability: I definitely didn't realize this was 9.5% until I started to write the review. This drinks more like 7.0%, but the alcohol is felt after one bottle. This goes down very smooth for the strength. I could drink a four-pack of these in a night.

Overall: I'm impressed with the Weizenbock. This is the best American made example I've had. I would definitely pick this up if I ever saw this at a store. I'd also like to try an aged version of this.

Thanks again Alex.

04-25-2007 02:01:20 | More by northernbrews
Bigjay1584

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

I was pleasantly surprised to find this at a local distributor since I heard good things about Ramstein beers. I was not disappointed. It was a tad on the expensive side, but considering the cost of ingredients, the big taste of a big Weizenbock easily warrants a few extra bucks.

A: Very very Dark, with a generous dark tan 2 inch head. About as handsome as they get. Surprisingly though, there was no lacing at all as I got through it.

S: Bananas, cloves, rich toasty caramel malts. Highly inviting.

T: Those full rich caramel malts hug the palate, and linger and linger. Weizenbocks and double bocks are so hard to beat. This one is no exception. Outstanding.

M: Well carbonated, nice and sticky, yet smooth.

D: Extremely drinkable considering the high ABV. I think it tops Sam Adams double bock as far as drinkability (that's pretty good considering it has a higher ABV than the Sam's). I could definitely spring for another one immediately. (maybe a cigar too...?)

A delightful beer. Awfully good. I highly recommend it. And made relatively locally to boot! Germany would be proud.

Prost!

02-06-2009 22:12:34 | More by Bigjay1584
whitestag

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Growler purchased at the brewery.

Frothy, tan head, breaks down fairly quickly to thin layer of foam. Coffee color.

Roasted sweet and slightly smoky aroma with a bit of yeast; similar taste with significant wheat flavors and a touch of alcohol

Mouthfeel slightly thick but not syrupy; to be expected for a double bock.

Very pleasant, quite drinkable; best if you take it slow.

Serving type: growler

01-01-2009 03:32:57 | More by whitestag
dublulovesbeer

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

I'm going to write a review for the time I had this on tap at Capone's, which was a great experience, although their bottle shop sold me one that was absolutely awful, I don't know what was wrong with it but it tasted terrible and had wood-chip looking things at the bottom of the glass. The label was torn on the August mark, I'm only assuming that's why. Anyway....

With my limited experience with beer, this was like a Dunkelweizen, but with a delicious sweet-clove taste that I really enjoyed. It has a cola appearance, and the mouthfeel was slightly thinner than a hefeweizen, but seemed similar. The alcohol is incredibly well hidden, and you realize this only when you're about 3/4 done with it, just like any great beer. It does loose its head quickly. Just watch out for infected/old/whatever batches of it, I was heart broken when I tried it in the bottle.

12-15-2009 00:55:39 | More by dublulovesbeer
dano

I can't really add anything that Jason Alstrom didn't already say about the characteristics of this beer. All I can say is that it is my favorite beer and I look forward to it very year. I've had it in bottles and on tap, and it has never disappointed. I do agree that the ABV is hard to believe. It is a dangerously smooth and drinkable beer at 9.5 % ABV.

12-22-2013 03:57:35 | More by dano