Ramstein Winter Wheat - High Point Brewing Company

Ramstein Winter WheatRamstein Winter Wheat

High Point Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Weizenbock |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-17-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ramstein Winter Wheat Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -5%

A: Pours a dark brown with virtually no head and no lacing (I can perhaps fault the bar for unclean glasswear, but I couldn't raise any real foam on this even with vigorous swirling).

S: Sweet chocolate, caramel, and banana. A banana split in a glass.

T: Follows the nose closely. The idea is great: take the banana and clove from a traditional German weizen, and add chocolatey notes. This does it well, and I'm glad I tried it.

M: Very rich, although the carbonation was severely lacking.

D: I had planned at one point to brew something like this at home, and I'm glad I had the chance to try this one on tap. In my opinion, this is simply too sweet for anything but an occasional sipper. I can't imagine trying to get through a whole homebrew batch of this.

speter, Feb 24, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -45.9%

Ordered @ the Gate in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Poured black. Black. With a thin head. Looked interesting, but seemed too dark. I really could not pick up any aroma, maybe a little malt. To me the flavor was way off, it tasted like well water from back home. It was thin and wet in the mouth. The best thing about it was that it was pretty easy to drink. Went down like water. I'm not sure why this is rated so high. I'm pretty sure the pint was in good condition. Oh well, each his own I guess.

AChamberlain, Mar 22, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ramstein Winter Wheat from High Point Wheat Beer Company is a pleasant taste treat. It pours a brown color from the bottle. There is a nice sized tan foamy head (short lasting). The smell is a mixture of grassy notes and a few hints of citrus coming through. The taste brings to mind thoughts of cloves, grass, and fruit (put together this is a very nice sensation for the palate). There is no indication of the ABV in either the smell or taste. A pleasant mouthfeel. A highly recommended weizenbock and a new favorite. Seek out and enjoy one!

BadBadger, Mar 06, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

Thick dark pour, nearly opaque black. A thick fluffy coffee head, about 3 fingers, slowly diminishes to a slight cap. No lacing. Dark fruit aroma with lots of malt. A little heavy with alcohol but not overpowered. The flavor continues this with an opening dark sweetness with a hint of clove. Ends with more dark fruits and a bit of chocolate, reminiscent of my mother's cherry fudge. There's a slight crispness that is a bit overwhelmed by the body of the beer but then comes out in the aftertaste as a nice dryness. It works very well.
A good treat but I wouldn't grab more than one of these at a time.

goatgoat, Feb 08, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +1%

Poured a dark brown color, with reddish hue, and a tan, quickly diminishing head with nice lacing. Aroma of wheat, yeast, banana's-n-cream, and clove spice. Nice spicy weizenbock (banana and clove) taste, with a mild alcohol tingle on the tongue. I am not quite sure if this lives up to the hype, though it is still a nice beer.

egajdzis, Jun 14, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Waited online outside the brewery in pretty cold weather for this one. I'd heard good things and that it was only available at the brewery store for a short time. There were about 100 other people online and finally crowded into the small sampling room and spilled into the brewery at High Point.

Needles to say it was worth it. This is a phenomenal beer!

Appearance is a deep dark brown with slight ruby red highlights. Thin wispy beige head. A bit cloudy/murky with some sediment floating around.

Aromas of wheat, smoke, dried fruits like plums, raisins and figs. Also some cherry and chocolate notes.

Taste is smokey, toasty wheat. Plums, raisins, figs. Sweet dark roasty malts and brown sugar. Slight alcohol taste.

Medium bodied and very smooth. Slight alc. is noticeable.

Incredibly drinkable for the abv. One of the best beers brewed in NJ!

BillyB, Dec 11, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

I was reading some of the other reviews here and I am wondering if I got a bad batch. I'm also a little ashamed that this is my first brew from this brewery in my home state.

Poured into a Sam Adams glass. Very dark mahogany color, almost black, says it is unfiltered but holding it to the light it is clear. With a semi-hard pour I barely got any head. What head I did get was tan. It quickly diminished into a ring that laces with each sip but then the lacing slides back into the ring. Sour fruit and caramel malts in the aroma with the faintest hint of alcohol. First sip made me pucker with the sour fruit taste (too much black current in this batch?) Underlying chocolate and caramel flavors. I can not detect any wheat in this. The alcohol is well hidden. Unpleasant in the mouth with an acidy feel to it.

Based on othere reviews I hope I have a bad batch here since I do enjoy dunkle weizens. But shame on High Point for letting this get through.

bob3701, Feb 14, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The second of my Ramstein adventure. I went back and forth between this and the Classic Dunkel.

The Winter Wheat pours a really dark, almost black brown with a smallish off-white head. There is a lot of lacing that continues throughout the drink. There is a complex aroma that includes the wheaty malty smell with some elements of clove, hops, and fruit.

The taste is different from any wheat that I've had before with a definite bitterness that doesn't seem to come from the hops. It is yeasty but there are hints of bitter fruit and clove. There is a hop taste at the end but it is slightly different than the normal hop bitterness. It is a full-bodied beer with a smooth feel on the palate. It is very easy to drink, and I always want another.

rdrummer, Jul 22, 2004
3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

12 oz. bottle into a pilsner.

pitch brown with half an inch of foamy light brown head that leaves little lacing.

sweet, bready aroma with a touch of smoke and some cloves. strong vanilla undertones and a touch of soy sauce.

medium carbonation and a smooth, medium body. touch of soy sauce in the flavor is slightly distracting, but otherwise nice; a touch of chocolate, breadiness, some dark fruits, and alcohol. soy flavors begin to dominate the others as it warms. very drinkable, but nothing so compelling that i'd want another.

Prufrock, Feb 21, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Very dark brown with a small tan head that quickly dissapates. Was poured into a snifter, a good glass to capture the wonderful aromas -- malt and deep brandy-like fruit. Exciting carbonation and a medium body, a complex mix of caramel malt and wheat, with nuts and fruit topped off with spice. Goes down smooth with a sweet dryness that lingers. Hides the ABV well and warms just right. Balanced complexity and satisfying.

ism, Jan 14, 2005
3.55/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

poured thick out of the bottle with a dark dark brown body and almost no head at all, just some film for a second when swished and just leaves a light ring around the glass.
this years aroma is a bit odd, getting black malt with some freshly ground coffee there is that spicy clovy wheat beer undertone her but the coffee overpowers. smooth body with not much carbonation. wants to be chewy at times but is held back, has a dry lingering aftertaste just making you drink more. very drinkable but i have to go back to the last bottle of last years and see if it really did change. still pretty good.

shippos, Feb 05, 2005
3.45/5  rDev -17.1%

This is one I just can't get behind... I guess it's not my cup o' tea. Pours a very dark brown, like a nut brown, almost no head, and no lacing. The smell is earthy and roasty, with some clove, allspice, and mace mixed in.
The taste of this is just not my bag. It is sweet, with banana anc clove, but nowhere near as sweet as other weissbocks, which is a good thing. But it is balanced by a a very raw hop flavor, which I suspect comes from a German hoip varietal that I just don't care for. It also has a slight roastiness that, while not overpowering, tastes like cigarette ash to me.
Mouthfeel could be better, with more carbonation, and drinkability is low in my mind because of the taste. The alcohol seems well-hidden.
Clearly not a bad beer, as the ratings will attest, but maybe not for everyone. Give it a shot, though...

bultrey, Mar 12, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a sedate, deep brown, with a relatively thin body into my glass. A small yet solid head rises and falls down to a coating on top of the brew.

Aroma is oooh -- nice. Mushrooms, leather, braised pot roast, tobacco. Awesome smell.

As for taste...caramel, uncured leather, and just a hint of the banana to let you know what you're dealing with. Manages to be smoky, sweet, fruity, and to be all of these things at the same time, nothing overwhelming or dominating the conversation. And that's what this is, a conversation, an excellent arrangement of elements. Damn nice.

Mouthfeel is right where it should be, not too heavy, not too sharp. Nice crisp finish.

9.5%? Get out of town! No way. Drinks like a 6% dunkelweizen. Very nice.

What a great brew. I've really been grooving on the German styles recently, and this is just another reason to celebrate that brewing heritage. And from an American brewery, too! Beer is limitless in its possiblities, and we're living in the golden age. Huge thanks to blitheringidiot for this brew -- really got me back in the game -- a "wow" brew that I didn't see coming.

ithacabaron, Dec 14, 2005
3.45/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I'm drinking Winter Wheat in the middle of May. According to the notch, I should enjoy it by August. 2006? Let's just assume.

Pours opaque black with a thin halo of ruby. Cola-like head, shade of mocha.

Scent of chocolate malts, thin notes of banana. Taste is similar, it's not unpleasant. Slight afterbite of weizen yeast. It's an unusual combination, for me at least.

It's a little bit filling, not something to drink in the middle of May. Unless you're in the Southern Hemisphere. It was a little chilly today, but apparently not enough.

Interesting brew, I'll give 'em that.

edskirk3, May 16, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

2002 Vintage Reddish black in color with small light brown head. Very malty aroma with alcohol,cloves and smoke. A full bodied brew with a very nice creamy texture holding bitter chocolate with caramel flavors finishing long with flavors of nuts,smoke and sweet malt and spicy yeast. A very drinkable beer for its size and strength, a very good night cap brew. I'm thinking it may go perfect with pumpkin pie.

jeffboo, Dec 12, 2003
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from bottle into my Duvel glass.

Low brown-tan head on pour that faded fast. Lacing falls down and doesn't stick. Dark brown body, opaque. Nose is sweet, slightly smokey. Taste is smokey, sweet, banana in the after taste, some clove. Carbonation is a nice balance, alcohol heat isn't tasted, but its noticed heat wise in the stomach. I'm not much of a weizen/hefe fan, but I could drink one of these on occasion, but not back to back, or over and over. A good example of the style none the less. Props to my buddy Adam (PEBKAC) for this one.

ballewblake, Jun 20, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Dark brown with amber highlights, pretty low carbonation (could have been the tap,) very malty and slightly sour, some hint of cloves and overripe figs, virtually no hint of alcohol, malt malt everywhere with a slightly nutty finish. If you pulled the needle out of Barry Bonds' ass and injected it into a fruity dunkelweiss and then mixed it 3:1 with a good barleywine you'd have this bad boy. This beer whispers sweet love in your ear before it punches you in the back of the head. Yeow.

PopeJonPaul, Mar 23, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured thick and dark, reminding me of both a stout and motor oil. The aroma brought forward several very different smells… banana, apple cider and toasted nuts, even a hint of alcohol. Now for the taste… thick and rich, with a multitude of flavors. Sweet caramel, bananas, bittersweet chocolate and toffee were all present. A toasted flavor, like hazelnuts or roasted coffee came through in the finish the more I drank. And the mouthfeel was very nice… full and rich, a little syrupy, with a high amount of carbonation… tiny refreshing bubbles.

Altogether, an extremely enjoyable brew. Not as rich and complex as a dark wheat beer like Aventinus, but because of that it’s much more drinkable, easy to have several over the course of an evening. My only complaint is that it’s a seasonal brew, because I could drink this all year long.

apintofknowledge, Feb 03, 2005
3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

Veyr different for a wheat beer.. no real head formed.. semed odd for a wheat beer.. smelled of currants and raisins and plums... very dark almost opaque black.. it was smooth yet fruity for a wheat beer and the body very thick. A very warming ale that was just different for this wheat beer geek.

bierman2000, Jun 21, 2003
4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Package: 12oz. bottle, no ABV listed. White label with purple border. Kitschy gothic letters spelling “Ramstein.” “Enjoy by month notched” marked between April and May but no year denoted. Label recommends storing at 35º-45º and serving at 40º. Neck label describes brew style. Busy but reasonably informative.

Cost: $8.99 6-pack at Gary's

Presentation: Imperial pint glass at 45º. ( I thought 40º serving recommendation was too cold).

Appearance: The beer's only weak area. Some gunsmoke. Generated little head, which dissipated quickly. Color was a rich brown-black, with an almost opaque, stout-like body. Large clumps of sediment. Unremarkable.

Smell: Achtung! All of the promised elements are present: fruity apple, clove, vanilla, smoky chocolate, and caramely malt. Bouquet is surprisingly un-volatile for its high ABV, but complex and full.

Taste: This is where this beer kicks into overdrive. Added to the aromas are subtle hints of cinnamon, bananas Foster, and dark black curranty fruits. Almost no hint of the claimed 9.5% ABV. Sweetness is present, but in a toasted-malt context and is by no means cloying. This beer never forgets that it's a wheat beer. Impressive depth of flavor, carrying through the middle to a strong, lasting finish that dries out.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy, smooth, and luxurious; but never loses its crisp edge. Carbonation is fine and consistent throughout. It puzzles me why it didn’t generate a better head.

Drinkability: Astoundingly drinkable! For something akin to an Imperial Stout, this goes down like a session beer. It is satisfying but not so filling that you can’t have several in succession (as long as you’re not driving!).

A beer worth savoring that challenges you not to drink it like water! Would accompany strong cheeses and other hearty appetizers very well. When High Point first opened, I knew one of the brewers, who invited me to try some of the beers. At the time, I thought they were good, but not stand-outs. It's been sometime since I’ve been in touch with this friend or had any Ramstein brews, but I was cooking short ribs braised in wheat beer, so I bought a six of the Classic. Intrigued by the Winter Wheat, I bought it, not knowing it was seasonal with a 9.5% ABV. Time to get in touch with my friend again!

Backwash: The quintessential Q-ship. The beer equivalent of a Mercedes 300SEL 6.3; old-world craftsmanship, silky smooth, with some serious torque under the hood.

Dantes, Feb 15, 2003
4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark chocolate brown with very little head. The aroma is full of chocolate, molasses, and caramel. A little bit of coffee and fruitiness to go along with some clove spiciness too. Roasted malts are the first thing I taste. Also some currants, caramel, brown sugar, cloves, and just enough hops for a nice balance. A medium mouthfeel with light carbonation, I found myself drinking this one pretty quickly!

nvsblman, Jun 03, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +13%

On tap at Bobbique in Patchogue, this beer poured a near black color with a nice brown head. Great aromas of spice and fruit, somewhat similar to a Hefe but with more fruit. This is one tasty brew, with a mildy fizzy mouthfeel. Big flavors of dark fruits and raisens mixed with a perfect amount of spice and malt make it very drinkable. I was surprised to see how high the ABV was, but it made sense since I had a pretty good buzz going from 3 of them. I will definitely get this again if I come across it.

lehows, Jan 18, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

-Original Gravity: 1.090 (21.5 P)
-Final Gravity: 1.020 (3.5-4 P)
-ABV: 9.5%
-ABW: 7.4%
-Attenuation: 77%
-Real Extract: 7.8 P
-Calories/12 oz: 295
-IBU’s: 20
-Color: 30-35 EBC (69-72 SRM)
-pH:4.5-4.8

I just love a brewing operation that’s willing to give me their technical information. High Point really opens the kimono on their beers… Only 20 IBU’s with a starting gravity over 1.080!!?? Man…

The Winter Wheat pours Imperial Stout black, with a spritzy, fizzy head of the shortest-lived bubbles this side of cola. Actually, this beer looks quite a bit like flat coke that went strong on the syrup… A big caramelly, molasses nose with hints of either dates or dried plums in addition to cloves, chocolate and toasted malts is a welcoming start to the non-visual attributes of this beer. Is that a bit of smoke too? Yup, a sip confirms that there is indeed a hint of phenolic smokiness threading through the cinnamon, raisins, figs molasses, chocolate, cloves and bananas. Damn this stuff is complex… I love the fact that it starts off tasting almost like an under-hopped Imperial Stout, but then the wheat beer yeast kicks in and takes us on a new road, which serves as a magical shortcut between Munich and St. Petersburg. The alcohol in this beer, though it can be felt eventually, can’t be tasted any more than in a 5% Helles. The shockingly low hopping rate manages to account for any molecule of maltose headed from the “balanced” side of the equation to the “cloying” side. This beer really displays finesse—it captures all that’s good about hefeweizen and Imperial Stout/Porter without losing balance, complexity or my interest. Great beer…

TXHops, May 30, 2003
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

sbangs, Jan 30, 2014
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Purchased a fresh 6-pack in Boonton, NJ on a recent trip. Noted that the bottles were freshness dated - kudos to Ramstein for that.

The pour was a gorgeous black with a contrasting white lasting head. I thought the smell to be a bit syrupy but the taste quickly eliminated any concerns about that possibility. Hard to describe the taste due to its complexity. Strong malted wheat character, sweet yet also hoppy and dry. Plenty of body yet, despite its high ABV, it goes down easy - probably dangerously so. It would never be mistaken for a session beer.

An intriguing and enjoyable product - definitely the best of the Ramstein bottled items I've tried. Hope I can acquire it again next winter.

Greenlabel, Mar 10, 2008