Ramstein Winter Wheat - High Point Brewing Company

Ramstein Winter WheatRamstein Winter Wheat

High Point Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Weizenbock |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-17-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ramstein Winter Wheat Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next › last »
4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Bought a 6-pack that look like it went through hell...wasnt even in the original box. 'Best by sept' notched on the label.
Pours very dark brown/nearly black with not much head. After having Aventinus and Moonglow previously, this poured much darker then them--a very nice surprise.
Hints of clove, anise, and (as it says to expect on the label) apple. I also pick up on something I find hard to identify...almost liek cinnamon/buttered toast. This is good for me, as usually barely smell anything :)
Taste is exceptional! All the praise here on BA couldnt prepare me for how amazing this beer turned out to be. Very complex to say the least. Interestingly nothing like the aroma. Malty sweet initially like a doppelbock (hints of caramel?), but nowhere near cloying. Very slightly tart in the middle, the only similarity to any other wheat beer I've previously had. Finishes with a slightly dry roasted chocolate taste. Alcohol totally hidden at all temperatures (yeah, I know thats cliche on this site, but this is the best example I've come across). Would never have guessed 9.5% had I not known.
Very smooth, with little carbonation. Easy to drink. This one is freakin superb. Easily the best wheat beer I've ever had, besting Aventinus to my palate. I cant recommend this one enough. Especially amazing considering that the bottles looked very abused.
One hint though: DO NOT drink this after any other beer. I made this the 2nd beer of the night one night and it lost a lot. That cinnamon/buttered toast I spoke of in the aroma came through a lot and it definitely made the beer seem worse then having it solo. Enjoy it as the only, or at least 1st beer of the night, and you'll be fine.

BrewMan13, Mar 02, 2005
4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Very, very dark with only a few ruby glimmers of ruby shining through. Coarse head never really piled high, but when it was just a thin layer on top of the liquid it looked quite pretty. It was multicolored with the thinnest portion the color of and around the edge it was closer to the color of a medium-light Cajun roux. Aromas of malted wheat, black cherries, bananas, and the smallest bit of alcohol show off this beer’s richness and finesse. Very smooth in the mouth. The perfect carbonation gives this a velvety mouth feel. Malt flavors abound, and mixed in are milk chocolate, cocoa, and the mildest charcoal flavor ever. You only notice the high alcohol when your mouth and throat warm slightly after swallowing. The finish is moderately short, but long enough to allow the individual flavors to fade away one at a time. I don’t see how this beer could have been much better.

After I thought I wasn’t going to be able to find any more this season I was lucky enough to find it at BeerFan’s store.

yen157, Mar 19, 2003
4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

12 oz bottle, thanks to markgugs for the trade!

A: Pours dark brown, with the slightest ruby tinge around the edges of the pint. Disappointing small head that disappears immediately.

S: Cloves, figs, and alcohol fill the nose. Very strong and complex, with a ton of layers to it. Sweet.

T: Fruity (figs and bananas) with some alcohol in the undertones. Malty and sweet, though the finish is a bit tart with some other fruity tastes, particularly plum/raisin. Nice and complex; this is a fantastic example of the style that has different flavors for beginning, middle and end.

M: Chewy and thick, but very smooth. The taste of alcohol is there, but there isn't any bite to it, but just a warming sensation in the throat. Sweet, soft carbonation.

D: Quite drinkable, and probably the second-best Weizenbock I've had. A fantastic example of the style, and the best you'll find brewed stateside. Balanced yet complex, thick but smooth, this beer is a pleasure to drink.

umfskibum, Mar 05, 2007
4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

9.5%! I can hardly believe it. Pours mud under a thin bonnet of malted milk. Like eating a banana split next to a roaring hardwood campfire the nose is a sublime melange of banana, cherries, vanilla, chocolate and smoked malts. A man could go to slavering before he even takes a sip. More treats for the buds as I quaff this chocolate covered banana explosion that's somewhat held in check by what has to be--but is not perceived as--a huge dose of balancing hops. A thin wisp of smokiness hangs out like a middle-school drug pusher. Are there smoked malts in this brew? There has got to be. What an ambrosial beer. Unique and tasty! If Ramstein gets national distribution, this one will become an American classic, for sure!

inebrius, Feb 19, 2003
4.93/5  rDev +18.8%

VENOM (Loren) was right, you need to do anything you can to get this stuff! A dark brown, nearly black, nearly opaque looking brew with an excellent head of tan foam, that unfortunately dies early and leaves little in the lacing department. The aromas are all there and all all classic: Cloves, vanilla, banana, other fruits and spices, with a distinctly flavorful wheaty-yeastiness to it as well. The taste is an almost euphoric blend of wheat flavors, coupled with chocolate (dark german chocolate?) cherries, berries, spices, and more! The mouthfeel is super creamy and excellent, but not perfect. The drinkability, however, is perfect, and the fact that this brew is nearly 10%ABV just absolutely blows my mind. Thanks for the tip Loren. Wonderful stuff here. The new Aventinus on the block.

francisweizen, Dec 22, 2003
4.95/5  rDev +19.3%

Received this beer from Davo as part of a side-bar holiday beer exchange during the Strong Ale Festival at the Carlsbad Pizza Port at the beginning of December. I opted to save this beer for Christmas Eve after putting my son to bed.
Poured from its 12oz. bottle, it had a near-black hue with deep ruby-tinged highlights and a thin bubbly tan head that left no lace. The nose was a rich array of aromas: clove, banana, dark fruits, bready malt, licorice, a touch of apple, and hint of chocolate all vying for attention. The taste was quite unique as it seemed a blend of styles came together. A hearty wheat malt backbone supported the flavors of banana and clove, some vanilla and dark, sweet chocolate, dark fruits - blackberries or black currants, and a slight smokiness. It finished with a nice hops flavor and those dark fruits that were in abundance throughout. The alcohol was very well hidden; only a warming sensation in the throat and chest gave a clue as to his beer's potency. The feel was full, smooth and warming.
This is one amazing brew! I couldn't put it down, even knowing it was going to put me on my arse if I didn't slow down. It was hard to imagine this beer having a %ABV of 9.5%. Big thanks to Davo for bringing a real treat out to SoCal.

Boilermaker88, Dec 26, 2003

Pours thick, not letting much light through if any hold on let me go grab my spectrometer. Yep, I was right opaque deep chestnut brown lucious fine bubbly tan head leaves some sporadic spots of lacing. Aromatics flowing here an amazing mildly smokey chocolate malt characteristic, talk about creativity this is the epitat. Banana and cloves sharp wheat malt sweetness is there somewhere what a complex wheat beer I now fully understand why this beer holds it's own on the Best of BA. As it warms alcohol and more intense over ripened fruit tones arise, nice. It's hard to sip on considering you could just sit here and smell the damn beer all day and be just as happy, but can't let it go to waste can we? A barrage of different but cohesive flavors, wow! A flight of chocolate smoked malts comes over the palate then this flavor is eased by the traditional yeast spawning tones of banana and clove sugar sweet twang and sharp tone of the unmalted wheat used here great stuff can't get over it. One bottle is a tease here with a lucious full bodied weizenbock like this and perfect carbonation you're going to want to look into a case or at the least a sixpack. Who are these guys, High Point Wheat Beer Co. I need to find the brewpub in my beer journeys intense flavorful near orgasmic experience with this beer. No hype needed this beer speaks for itself, great stuff.

WVbeergeek, Apr 14, 2004

poorbanker, Dec 01, 2011

As I drink this out of my big Aventinus glass I can't help but feel there has been a changing of the guard for me....For a long time I have considered Aventinus one of the best beers in the world and THE best Weizenbock....I still consider it one of the best in the world but I can no longer call it THE best weizenbock around because this Ramstein Winter wheat tops it...

Pours a dark black with brown hues....a fantastic creamy 1/8 inch tan head...the nose is outstanding....one of those beers that you just want to smell, and smell and smell...Great clovey nose...but sweeter notes are also evident...a little bit of a sweet over-ripe banana aroma...

Flavor is sweet..dark fruits and banana sprinkled with chocolate syrup...cloves are dominant too....outstanding taste to this...

The body is full but not overdone....it's very creamy...9.5%?? The alcohol is remarkably hidden in the taste....a nice belly warmer though...

Drinkability is sky high because despite its strength and full flavors and smell it is extremely drinkable...Wish I could get a keg of this..

I've wanted to try this beer for a long time and usually when you are that excited about something it usually is a let-down when you finally taste it....this exceeded my expectations...I was thinking 4.0-4.5....not sure how this will compute when I punch it in but it will be above that for sure..

Big thanks to Biruchan and schoolteacher for this outstanding experience in beer drinking...

ZAP, Feb 07, 2004

afksports, Nov 14, 2011

slvrmon82, Nov 15, 2011

I can't really add anything that Jason Alstrom didn't already say about the characteristics of this beer. All I can say is that it is my favorite beer and I look forward to it very year. I've had it in bottles and on tap, and it has never disappointed. I do agree that the ABV is hard to believe. It is a dangerously smooth and drinkable beer at 9.5 % ABV.

dano, Dec 22, 2013